Alia's Away

Praise and Honey Cookies from Players for Players, and Chocolate Cookies for the Devs

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Mulled

Alia's Away

Post by Mulled » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:25 am

Alia’s journey in my hands is at an end. I retired her a couple of months back but it was only this week I got round to tidying up the last few ends and rolling her. Therefore she has now left public life to fade into obscurity with her eventual fate held in the capable hands of Masceo.

Thanks to everyone, really; a large part of why I consider Arelith the best server going is the sheer variety of play available by dint of the large numbers. Some favourites are noted below, though many of the characters, and possibly their players, are long gone.

Alengo, the first person Alia saw die.

Leia Sunstrider, the only person whose final death she witnessed.

Best friend Fiala.

Selecan Marnock who started Alia along the alchemy path.

Kyra Visage the alchemy teacher who was jolly nice too.

Professor Seran Thebas for introducing the world to Solar Flashbangs.

Naomi Melles and Kira Fryar. Adventures with them were always fun. Naomi was fantastic through and through.

Brok Gore. I love this guy so much.

I was on occasion privileged to share in the fabulous camaraderie of The Warriors of Fate. To Amelia, Carmine, Shizuru and Thazmudin, thank you.

Conversations with Kainda Ogden would often become serious. It remains a mystery to me how she invariably got Alia thinking deeply about their conversation topics as she did. Never happened with anyone else. Liked it though; it gave me a peek at what Alia would be like with later life wisdom boosts ;)

Daijin Helnefarian. I'd often have to sit and stare for a moment while reminding myself that plain text is an emote... but Daijin was wonderful and running into her was always a real pleasure.

Unen
Great character. I miss Unen. How Liquid Serenity manages to convey so much about a character’s inner workings with so few words I have no idea, but stand in awe of it.

This pair went all over the place as adventuring buddies and spent so much time together that there was never any question of talking tactics as they were perfectly in tune. Good times.

Also the one character who made a point of taking Alia to all the areas where she’s no use at all other than as moral support. Evocation immune enemies? They went. True Seeing everywhere? They went. Can’t move without standing on a trap? There too. A breath of fresh air after the constant requests to accompany groups on the old Darkspires loop.

Cal’ith Ju’ier, La'kash'ki Rashesh, Ker’uanna Tymeaneldth and Nakaia Mornmist. Myonite girlfriends for gossip and adventure. Characters who looked past the fact that while youth and her upbringing in human cities resulted in Alia exhibiting many human mannerisms, she was at core an elf raised by elves who held traditional elven values dear and was possessed of an extensive knowledge of elven lore.

Random Racist Elves who’d variously chastise Alia for using common/providing her name to not-elves/living in Cordor.

To Shalifil who in 100% refusing to acknowledge her existence as an elf who lived somewhere other than Myon stood as the living embodiment of exactly why she wouldn’t ever want to live there.

Derrick Blake and Kaylawerar Pedricivas who were my favourite Council to work for.

Echo Hemlocke-Ralkai. Role model.

I’ve never known the Cordor Guard to be such a living breathing vibrant creature as under the tenure of Olivia Rivers.

To all the Assassins, Stalkers, and Bad GuysTM who variously had Alia afraid to leave her home, afraid to enter it, or in extreme cases scared of her own shadow or of speaking to strangers.

Joron. Because any meeting with him other than the first creeped me out. I enjoyed the sign wars episode.

Vonevar. :D

Arch-foe Lorelei, though they spoke but once.

The uncanny knack of Angela Amana to make the otherwise perpetually well-mannered girl lose her temper and be HORRIBLY ASHAMED afterwards.

To the player of Alair for being such a good sport when I brutally murderised his character with a couple of icestorms without noticing until he sent a polite tell half an hour later enquiring as whether I was planning to do something with the body… *ahems* Morals of the story are two; don’t stealth behind a tree around someone who’s bashing them into manageable pieces of lumber with oversized hailstones, and just because your character is half blind doesn’t mean that you need to be <.< Still have no idea how I missed seeing the body considering I stood at the exact site of the tree for several minutes while rearranging inventory space.

Balphor Ardath for that wonderful honesty that warmed Alia’s heart in the last few days she was actively played. She was perfectly certain while they were in the bank but let it slide never expecting to hear more on it.

Croft Stafford and Kaylawerar who took over Alia's businesses. The message was 'good luck with them' when I wrote this at the time of retirement...er, can't say that anymore :) Can however say thanks for the RP doing the handovers, enjoyed that.

Birbag Bourd, Doilli Troff, Caige Ridre, Zephie Castel, Droibo Maynard, Francisca Highhill, Kaliyah Serafine, Morisson Necros, many people already mentioned and great many others for all the help with ingredients. Keeping that shop full was a hard slog and the help was much appreciated. Also Laura Sinclair from whose shop Alia had purchased prior to meeting her and learning that the name was a misnomer and had felt dirty about *blush.*

I don’t know if any of it was down to her… but speculating on possible nefarious activities taking place on Sea Leopard and putting all of the blame squarely on Nikola Kostanovich was excellent fun. Regardless, she was crafty in the extreme and a pleasure to watch at work even tangentially.

Sad that the beautiful creations of Ky’lanna Eveningfall, Cub, and Salasker Dusk have vanished along with Alia. The art crafting station and awesome alchemy table do at least survive.

Scarne Kemp :) for returning said art crafting station after Samiel’s shenanigans.

Masceo
For his bravery in placing Giogi’s heart in the hands of the level 4 character of a brand new player. So too for myriad other things ranging all the way from explaining how to use writing paper way back when right up to being cool about the retirement.

Laddie from Moving Pictures
Upon whose endless cheerfulness and eagerness to please Alia was based, “Me Alia. Alia good girl. Good girl Alia.”

The Staff
Since without them we wouldn’t have Arelith, and without their appropriate oversight we wouldn’t have a population.

Special thanks to whoever designed the lovely Sea Leopard. When looking to furnish it I created a mock-up in the toolset to see what would work/fit and discovered that the main cabin was wood clad one plank at a time with pillars, presumably placed precisely using co-ordinates. That’s an astounding amount of work. It looks amazing so it’s worth it, but wow, that’s a serious time investment on someone's part.

Also Watchtower for the Astrolabe which is a thing of real beauty.

Rattus_norvegicus99
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Alia's Away

Post by Rattus_norvegicus99 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:27 am

*sniff*
John 3:16

Skype Arelith.rat

Rystefn

Post by Rystefn » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:06 am

Fiala smiles down from the halls of Brightwater on her dear friend and is forever grateful for the encouragement and simple love that helped her walk out of the darkness. Even if she could never entirely forgive herself for who she was, Alia did.

And Layla keeps the Leo sailing. Because it's a crime to leave a ship at the docks for too long.
Layla Rashmi: Fighting off alien monsters and sleeping with Amazon Moon Maidens... FOR SCIENCE!

Lindos

Post by Lindos » Sun Nov 16, 2014 12:33 pm

It was always a pleasure encountering and playing with Alia. Great character and great player!

I'm still not sure the council meetings would've gone half as well if Alia wasn't there.
Discord: Lindos#9637

Yellena

Post by Yellena » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:10 pm

Sellenia will miss Alia.
She was the one who helped things happens after the demon invasion of cordor. Without her all the politcs would be stuck.

triaddraykin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by triaddraykin » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:20 am

Oh gods, that was the best mention I've ever had on a kudos, and they're RARE. I knew otherwise, having interacted with her so much on Rose, but Angela honestly and truly believe Alia just -hated- her down to her core, and she could never find out why. She always tried to be polite, but somehow they always clashed, often over whether or not she was a flameborn.

For the record: SHE WAS! Hee.

Edit: I HAD to siggy this. I'm giggling still, minutes later. That was awesome.
Alia: The uncanny knack of Angela Amana to make the otherwise perpetually well-mannered girl lose her temper and be HORRIBLY ASHAMED afterwards.

Who on the Team to PM and When
Public Tower Discord
Tower Library
Scroll, Wand, & Potion Costs

Mofference

Post by Mofference » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:45 pm

You don't miss something until it's gone.

- on behalf of every cordorian politician ever
matron xun'viir; tear down this wall

Yma23

Post by Yma23 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:45 pm

Alia was ... well. Adorable. And if nothing else she was the best damn clerk and political help possible to have in Cordor. Sweet, unnasuming and always helpful. A really adorable character.

CragOrion
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by CragOrion » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:10 pm

cordor is worse off for losing alia! all her tireless work was greatly appreciated :D

Celestia Silverarms
Karynn Eldafire

Rattus_norvegicus99
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Rattus_norvegicus99 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:06 pm

I met Alia on my dorf Harran and was absolutely blown out of my chair. I instantly fell in love with her. *sobs* She will be missed.
John 3:16

Skype Arelith.rat

Pinkmyst

Post by Pinkmyst » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:38 am

Quite sad Alia's gone forever! I'll miss running into her while she completed her endless list of daily tasks.

What_Evil_Lurks
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by What_Evil_Lurks » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:10 pm

Alia was a consistent character I remember since stating on the server, an amazingly fast talker, and someone who made Cordor feel alive. To a couple of my characters she was either a spoiled brat, a meddling elf with more gossip than was healthy, or a very nice person. You dun good with her, really.
RED GANOT wrote:STEP 1: Stop being scared of conflict.