Minmir, Skull Crags and new content in general

Praise and Honey Cookies from Players for Players, and Chocolate Cookies for the Devs

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

cornelius_4
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Minmir, Skull Crags and new content in general

Post by cornelius_4 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:49 pm

I just saw parts of minmir along the coast with a view to the sea that gave a much larger sense of room than I've seen with nwn before.

Then I snuck through a talassian filled skull crags and the terrain is breathtaking, the mix of large openness and different heights of terrain and yet with plenty of terrain to hide behind has to be my favorite yet, I've never seen this kind of nwn and i'ts amazing.

Before i found a meadows area somewhere near old stonehold, that one was also a tasty treat. Before these, I've mostly enjoyed finding new mushrooms, plants and a few placables here in the underdark and also some shroomy marsh-like area somewhere in the derro mushroom maze, I think that was the first spot I saw that seemed like new nature in the world, it was pretty too.

In general, I wish to give kudos to the new content, it's a pleasure to experience a nwn that isn't the sharply flat or sharply vertical landscapes of old.

Griefmaker

Re: Minmir, Skull Crags and new content in general

Post by Griefmaker » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:58 pm

I agree with this.

At first, I thought it was nicely done and pretty and all...but way too large.

Then my character took enough ride to have a horse. And I have come to love it and enjoy him roaming about in it. I think these areas are great!

cornelius_4
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by cornelius_4 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:35 am

There is more to it that just beauty. I had a this-is-a-bit-large-and-it-takes-some-energy reaction somewhere on Skal, but after a few other sessions, I had adjusted. I found that my way of processing directions had changed, rather than a quick think and getting a "definetly this path", what remained was a rough indication of "probably this direction" and some of that remained after repeated travels.

One may not be in the mood for troublesome pathfinding every day, but likely there will remain a choice between the well-known, the simple to navigate and the bit more troublesome to navigate. When I travelled in the woods around Bendir, the uncertainty in direction gave a sense of "who knows what is out there" and the world seemed more real somehow. Even the orcs I met started shouting brutishly in my mind, but thats probably a damage that has been done to me by Arelith (I say in jest). Those territorial brutes.

I'm finding it hard to describe beauty in my above post, I'm mostly relying on describing where it was and then hoping that the reader has had an enjoyable reaction to what they saw there. The expansive view of the sea was just nice to be able see that far since it matches with how it often is when you really do look at the sea. The forests of the surface was certainly more adventurous and the Skull Crags made me look in the same way you might, when you do stumble upon a nice view.

Seven Sons of Sin

Post by Seven Sons of Sin » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:46 pm

I was initially very critical of many of these new areas, and I still think they are teetering a little on the edge of being unwieldy in their size, however -

they are definitely a treat and a delight. The mini-hub of the Radiant-Silver Boughs-Nexus portal is an excellent landing zone for tackling the new Minmir region. The placement of Guldorand now as a proper break between lower Crags/upper Crags makes me love the little logging town even more.

I do wish there was more interconnected-ness with the Arelith Forest (as currently to my knowledge, there's really only two entry points from the forest into Minmir region). But overall, it really is fantastic.

I'm really looking forward to how players make this new region their own, because there are many ripe opportunities for shrines, memorials, outposts, encampments, weird ritual sites, etc.

edit: in general, I've loved all of the new areas and how they connect with writ design. Some might argue that this can dilute areas (like Sibayad) to being nothing more than an adventuring stopping point, but I think this creates a space where you know characters/players are going to have to be, and this creates roleplay.
Previous:
Oskarr of Procampur, Ro Irokon, Nahal Azyen, Nelehein Afsana (of Impiltur), Vencenti Medici, Nizram ali Balazdam, (Roznik) Naethandreil

Straxus
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Straxus » Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:39 am

After a few days, I have walked a ton through the northern part of the island, simply because my rogue can hide, my spellsword could not.

They are enormous, lengthy, and exactly what I think they should be. I think you guys all did a fantastic job, and adding the new city is just another piece to be enjoyed.

The detail in the elevations, and the harsh travel is right where it needs to be.

Just awesome. Going to explore more tonight.

Thank you.
Arod (semi-retired)
Jacho Blake

In Sorrow We Trust
Contributor
Contributor

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:03 am

Seven Sons of Sin wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:46 pm

I do wish there was more interconnected-ness with the Arelith Forest (as currently to my knowledge, there's really only two entry points from the forest into Minmir region). But overall, it really is fantastic.
The Arelith Forest is due a remaster soon and if you have ideas for how to improve it, you may consider dropping your ideas in a feedback thread!

Vittoria Veleno
catch me if you can