War's End: Ikarus & the Shields of Guldorand

Praise and Honey Cookies from Players for Players, and Chocolate Cookies for the Devs

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Aradin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

War's End: Ikarus & the Shields of Guldorand

Post by Aradin » Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:53 pm

Hi all. With the last peace talks over and the war now getting wrapped up for good, I just wanted to give a shoutout to the very many people from all parts of the server who played a role in and/or were involved in some way with Ikarus' effort to avenge the losses of his kin in the Skull Crags. It was something that ballooned far beyond my expectations - for better or for worse! - and I hope that if it affected you in some way, it was in a fun one.

I've never before dipped my toes into creating conflict from the ground up. This was a tremendously educational experience for me in learning how to do it in a way that's fun for both sides. I made my fair share of mistakes and if there's one tip I might offer players who are considering stirring the pot it would be to respect the other side. Check in with them. Make sure they're having fun too. It doesn't matter how good your RP is or how intriguing your plot is if your opponents want nothing to do with you. I feel lucky to have had some people on the other side who were interested in engaging with my allies and me, but over the course of this plot I certainly learned that's not something to take for granted.

So thanks and kudos to everyone involved; there really are too many to count from both the Underdark and the surface. I will give one special shoutout to my nemesis Derristan Barley. Great player, realistic character, lots of fun to be around.

Cheers.

Was Lloyd Grimm, Sai Aung-K'yi, Stink Spellworped, Ikarus, and Revyn the White.

Interium
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: War's End: Ikarus & the Shields of Guldorand

Post by Interium » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:41 am

Thank you so much for hosting this meeting! And for the prior events leading up to it too.
It's rare to get to meet with "the enemy" and truly get to know their motives. It brings a deeper understanding and a meeting such as the one today, is a great way for two opposing factions/enemies/nemeses to meet, and it makes sense IC too.

It's so important for all of us to meet and I'm always so pleasantly surprised at the great roleplayers from below, the ones I often only get to meet during PVP battles.

I can't wait to meet with Ikarus again. So massive kudos back!

Bunnysmack
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: War's End: Ikarus & the Shields of Guldorand

Post by Bunnysmack » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:57 am

After harping on people for ages to prioritize "Story > Winning" in conflict RP, it was super refreshing to see so many people from so many disparate groups doing exactly that. I'd like to thank Ikarus for inviting my character (something he/I had NOT expected would happen!) and having a chance to see this rare bit of cross-alignment RP that is, sadly, often quite difficult to find on Arelith.

Hopefully this moot was a sign of more such RP interactions to come. I don't think any PC at the moot walked away "happy" with what was decided, but they say that a good compromise is one where no one comes away from the table in a pleased fashion.
"You're insufferable..."
"That's not true! I can totally be suffered!"