The Fortress City is Amazing!

Praise and Honey Cookies from Players for Players, and Chocolate Cookies for the Devs

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Lansert

The Fortress City is Amazing!

Post by Lansert » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:26 pm

HUGE kudos to Irongron for all the work he's put into this new city, it's fantastic!

Tyrantos

Re: The Fortress City is Amazing!

Post by Tyrantos » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:30 pm

Yes! Seriously, Its looking god damned amazing! Many kudos!

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:29 pm

Breathtaking and worth the wait.

I was particularly thrilled by little details in taverns, a few things I've found that I don't want to spoil here, and the art gallery is stunning!

Irongron, great work. The attention to detail is amazing. I've been looking forward to this for so long and I'm overjoyed by how it has turned out. Thank you!

RP only starts at 30 if you're a coward.

Talvenlapsi

Post by Talvenlapsi » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:31 pm

Thumbs up for this! Everything looks so nice, there's so much interesting and new stuff, a huge kudos for anyone that has been part of it.
You need the Dark in order to show the Light.
- Left the Isle: Sabre Brightburst, Liberty, Lila Havenfall, Lillaniarin Dragonsbane, Avidelra Aza'Athreen, Hexflaerin Amav'fer, Eclipse Silverbane

Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:00 pm

I've said it privately before and I'll say it again here... The fortress city is truly a triumph. I don't think most people fully appreciate the true scope and scale of planning, writing, and toolset work (often tedious, laborious, mind-numbing toolset work) to create something of this scale and depth- while I'm sure most recognize it's not a trifling project, it really is the sort of thing that should only ever reasonably be expected from a full-time team. And while plenty of contributors assisted on it... having watched progress the last few years, Gron doesn't exaggerate when he says he's done 95% of the work here.

For all Arelith's issues, we are all exceptionally fortunate to have a community and team like the ones we do, and something like this release really speaks to dedication and care for it. I certainly have my own points of disagreement with him on some design philosophies, but I can only be humbled by NuGuld. We're incredibly fortunate to have it.

So Irongron, kudos and thanks both for your long-term focus and effort to complete something of this (again, mind-boggling) scale, but also for all the time and dedication you give to the server as a whole (and for putting up with all of us all the while).

(All that said.. Challenge for biggest coolest Arelith expansion: accepted, Gron)

EDIT: Typo
Last edited by Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia on Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Done.

Mythic
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Mythic » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:09 pm

I Honestly cant agree with Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia enough here. The sheer layout, the skill in making the area alone is on t he level where it's worrying. Let alone the decor, NPC's Writing, Dungeons, shops....

Massive congratulations to Irongron especially And a giant congratulations to the whole DM team for how smooth this launch has been
Howling around all year long

Svrtr
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Svrtr » Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:30 pm

The city generally looks fantastic, everything from textures to actual architecture and the balanced look of stone, wood, and all. Even if I am not big on playing elves the elven quarter came out amazingly.

Can't wait to explore more and see what RP comes of this. Take a break Irongron, because after all the work in the city it really shows and you deserve a break. Time well spent is an understatement

Kaulguard

Post by Kaulguard » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:13 pm

What I have seen has been utterly unbelievable. I am completely blown away. I cannot wait until I have more time to go through every nook and cranny, which I very much plan on doing. All kudos to the design team, and everyone on Arelith staff for the execution of this amazing resource!
"I foresee online gaming changing when there are good audio-visual links connecting the participants, thus approximating play in a face-to-face group."
Gary Gygax

Interium
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Interium » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:28 pm

Can only agree. From the design to the new mechanical changes added!

Awesome work and I can't wait for it all to settle and for plots and roleplay to get started.
Massive kudos!

Salasker

Post by Salasker » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:08 pm

Words fail. From the VERY little I got to see before RL interfered (stupid Real Life), it is stunning. They should have sent a bard.

Absolutely amazing work, Irongron (and everyone else that put their free hours into it). I cannot wait to go exploring!

(P.S. - This it the kind of PvP I can appreciate...)

(All that said.. Challenge for biggest coolest Arelith expansion: accepted, Gron)
[/quote]

Aleilsum Ellrum
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Aleilsum Ellrum » Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:12 pm

It's beautiful. Really beautiful.

Hedgehog
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Hedgehog » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:20 pm

I am in love with it. Excellent work on this guys, it truly looks and feels like a living, breathing world!
I’ve got the power of god and anime on my side!

Borin Drakkmurl

Post by Borin Drakkmurl » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:53 pm

Quite amazing. I was imediatly transported back to when I traveled through central/eastern europe a few years ago, which took the imersion to a whole other level.
Past characters: Daedin Angthalion; Lurg Norgar; Urebriwyn; Ubaldo Ferraz; Erodash Uzdshak; Borin; Belchior Heliodoro; Orestes Fontebela

JubJub

Post by JubJub » Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:49 am

The look and feel to it is amazing.

Freyason

Post by Freyason » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:52 am

This is probably the most impressive free content I've ever seen. The amount of work that went into this is insane.

Lansert

Post by Lansert » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:05 am

Okay, after the benefit of time and a little sleep I can add more detail about what exactly I love in the city:

The houses are wonderful. Storage chests are behind a second locked door. There are so many module crafting stations and their placements are in a logical place. The houses have a generous fixture limit. They look nice and feel warm and lived in even before any fixtures are put down.

The number of faction houses and player run temples are stellar. I've not been inside any so I cannot describe the insides in detail yet.

The government buildings like the State Building and the Garrison are great and functional. There are some quirks here and there that will get fixed but overall I like the security, the look, and the functionality. The Garrison especially is interesting (since that is the one I have the most knowledge of right now), based on who it allows in and where, it's part guild-house part shared government building part something new entirely. I like how Myon's government has access too, it really adds to the "shared city" vibe.

The Thayan Enclave is just one massive quality life of improvement one right after another. 'Nough said.

I like the Lighthouse bar. Absolutely mood setting, just love it. The rules of the fighting pit are great, the atmosphere is great, the look is great.

The Elven Quarter is extremely beautiful and I like how Myon is right next door and easy to get to. It's nice to have cities with greenery, like a giant city park but with elfy goodness.

DeSanti

Post by DeSanti » Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:45 am

This city is, quite simply, gorgeous. I love the natural, sprawling feel to it and how the streets jig and jag around. Wonderful work, all around!
Giscard d'Soleil - Dead

Maladus

Post by Maladus » Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:01 am

I haven't even really seen the city first hand yet but I know it's amazing. Great job everyone involved.

AnselHoenheim
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by AnselHoenheim » Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:29 am

Thank you very much for all of the work you have put together, not only Irongron, but also devs and the DM to build this particular fortress city, it is immersive, it has a lot of details, and it is by far one of the best works I've ever seen in Arelith in all the years I've been here.

Love you all for all the work you have put together! You guys are rocking this greatly

-XXX-

Post by -XXX- » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:07 pm

I absolutely love the lore behind the Deep Wells and how it complements the city.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:10 pm

Borin Drakkmurl wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:53 pm
Quite amazing. I was imediatly transported back to when I traveled through central/eastern europe a few years ago, which took the imersion to a whole other level.
My experience as well! The way the city has its own geography/geometry really makes it feel like it was built on a landscape, rather than on a bulldozed lot, as has been the trend with NWN cities since... well, day 1.

The tileset Is beautiful and the use of it is masterful.
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

Beholder

Post by Beholder » Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:04 pm

It is so beautifully designed. Such a good work!

"Any perils may look out for themselves."

thimblegiant
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by thimblegiant » Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:34 pm

Going to add my thumbs up as well. I know there is more to the update than just the city itself, but I haven't had a chance to explore anything more.

But from what I did see, there is so much detail I couldn't take it all in and it was really fun to wander about yesterday. I love how big it is, it really feels like a city. And with the narrow streets even with a few players present it gives a feeling of bustle as you need to navigate around people as you walk between locations.

It's a thematic and artistic accomplishment, no doubt. I was glad to be there when the city gates first opened, even though I was with a group that initially got locked out! Ha! It was all good in the end.

Quidix
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Quidix » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:05 pm

It's an absolutely amazing addition - well done to all who contributed!

Rasha

New Guldorand

Post by Rasha » Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:12 pm

Exploring the new city has been an absolute joy. The attention to details which make the place both aesthetically pleasing and thematic make it obvious that Irongorn put a huge amount of love and many hours of hard work into this project. I just wanted to make this thread to express our thanks and congratulate him on a job so very well done. This is probably my favorite zone since the Temple of Bane Zone. It makes me really excited to see these kinds of things can be achieved with the NWN engine. Thank you to Irongron and all others who collaborated for this amazing update.

-=- Somebody that You used to Know -=-

Rasper
Vesra Maa've
Tessa O'Shea

Pie Rats:

Ravenna

Dead Pie Rats:

Sazal' Dro'Vaalvaz
Wilhelmina Vehk "Billy"
Asrynda Maethe Caesonia "Mae"
Moray Evermoore