Nae clampin'.

Praise and Honey Cookies from Players for Players, and Chocolate Cookies for the Devs

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Flower Power

Nae clampin'.

Post by Flower Power » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:23 pm

A few of us have been calling for it/suggesting it repeatedly for almost a year now, and it's finally happened: Sencliff has lost its slave clamper.

More than any overhaul and facelift, this on its own is probably the most positive change to happen for Sencliff to date - freeing pirates from being utterly tied to the universally reviled institution of chattel slavery frees up pirate RP to enter a much, much, much more grey area, which is a VERY GOOD THING.

tl;dr

pirates introduced to the concept of nuance
nae clampin'
good work team
what would fred rogers do?

Hazard

Re: Nae clampin'.

Post by Hazard » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:24 am

I agree!

I think this could be a huge game changer in the long run, for Sencliff/Arelith culture regarding piracy.

It's enough to make me want to make my own pirate, now!

Aodh Lazuli
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Aodh Lazuli » Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:02 am

This is a very very good thing.
Sofawiel wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:09 pm
Dont text eggplants.

Bunnysmack
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Bunnysmack » Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:12 pm

It always seemed a bit odd that the so-called "Free Port" and "Free People" was one of a select few places that could be used to participate in a practice that is the antithesis of freedom. Should make for more grey area with pirates, to be sure.

Though, I wonder if there will be a new place to clamp/collar-summon on the surface server now?
"You're insufferable..."
"That's not true! I can totally be suffered!"

Flower Power

Post by Flower Power » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:07 pm

I'm pretty sure Sib has a clamper, doesn't it?
what would fred rogers do?

LichBait

Post by LichBait » Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:51 pm

Sibayad is Distant Shores server.
Treadstone Locks has a Surface server slave caller/clamper.

Regardless, this is a nice change and is likely to cause pirates to not all be blanketed under the most evil/vile of the lot allowing degrees of variation. Huzzah nuance!

Current
Ayiesha Dahyarif
Ilphaeryl Xun'viir

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:37 pm

Agreed LichBait, should allow for a great degree for rp and alliances then the cliff could have had before.

Rasha
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Rasha » Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:43 am

Really pleased with this change. Aside from the fact that the Sencliff slave mechanics have been broken and unusable for a couple years, removing the “clutter” and culture really does open the island up to more RP. Pirates can still slave to their hearts content, if that is the route they choose, as the clamping stations that existed before, are still there. Forcing the entire island to be complicit with flesh trading was hugely limiting, and in a sense, inhibited the freedom of choice of the Free Men who dwell there. Being a slave trader can now be viewed as a PC’s individual endeavor, of which only they are accountable, rather than condemning us all to that storyline. Thank you for the positive change.
-=- Somebody that You used to Know -=-

TroubledWaters

Post by TroubledWaters » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:29 pm

I'm not really a big fan of this change. I don't understand why a den of piracy would take such a keen interest in outlawing slavery. Why would they care?

I get that it's a "Freeport", but I would imagine there is still an expectation that strength and guile rule the day there and the toughest residents should still be free to acquire and keep slaves.

As mentioned, there are other clampers, so no I don't think it's the end of the world, but this change seems to make Sencliff needlessly soft.