From May'riina

Praise and Honey Cookies from Players for Players, and Chocolate Cookies for the Devs

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Skibbles
Arelith Platinum Supporter

From May'riina

Post by Skibbles » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:03 am

After some farewell RP that lasted much longer than I thought it would, which I am thankful for beyond words, May'riina Shri'isstra has finally been rolled after almost six years of on and off existence.

I had been planning this for quite some time while wrapping up a great many outlying loose ends and items in need of descriptions.

I actually wrote up a massive kudos post a few weeks ago, but it felt hollow to post an enormous kudos to so many characters and players - half of which are long, long gone - but also many of which I'd simply forget despite having such an impact on me and my character.

My preference for RP is to make blank characters that are shaped by Arelith's characters and stories, and while I'm the only one who got to see May'riina's full journey, the evolution of this character from beginning to end has been an enormous pleasure that I cannot fully convey.

So when I created May'riina I had no plan or story in mind other than I wanted to do wizard stuff like make fixtures and write books and speak in unintelligible jargon while passing it off as peak intellectualism. I feel more or less like I got a chance to do that, and so much more, and I am simply thankful for everything Arelith, both its diligent staff and talented playerbase, has contributed to my enjoyment.

Naturally I hope that I have been able to give as much as I got.

Thank you everyone. I will still be around Arelith, even with my god-awful schedule, simply trying to support other stories with less time-intensive characters and existing here and there with my limited playtime.

///

PS: Many people have asked me, "Why?!"

Well - besides being deeply moved by so much concern from many:

There was no grand epic climax or deep conversation, and I suspect such a thing was never to come because that was not the reason I created the character in the first place. I just wanted to do wizard things. I did many wizard things. After the most recent wizard thing I, quite simply, discovered I could not think of any more wizard things to do.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

Turn the Tide

Re: From May'riina

Post by Turn the Tide » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:38 am

I've enjoyed my time I've spent with you in the past 1-2 years, starting back with Xadrin!!
The wizard-to-wizard insight we've shared during his time in the arcanum, and through our various minoring interactions on the vast amount of characters I own. She will truly be a character missed, and I've prized and enjoyed every little interaction!! 8-)
Login: Fetch My Wine Jean-Luc

Xarge VI

Post by Xarge VI » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:00 am

A bit of rp that I had recently popped into my mind:

"Princess Shri'isstra's knolwedge on the subject surpasses my own- But do not ever let her know that, I would not hear the end of it."
-Odtgankawruh Zorig-Gerel

I rped with May during the course of two characters and I'm a little shocked to see her gone. Insidious, arrogant and powerful; May was the epitome of what is Wizard to me.

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:08 am

You wrote the best magic books I have come across. I am surprised to see she's gone, and saddened by it because it means there'll be no more great magic books by her or RP with her. But I'll keep her books around so her legacy lives on, and I look forward to RPing with whoever you make next. Thank you for everything, I hope your next character will be fun too!

New canon ending, she began dabbling in chronomancy again. Oh no!

Quidix
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Quidix » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:33 am

A lovely character - thank you for all the contributions.

LichBait

Post by LichBait » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:41 pm

RIP May'riina. It was a nice goodbye.

Current
Ayiesha Dahyarif
Ilphaeryl Xun'viir

Watchful Glare

Post by Watchful Glare » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:12 pm

I am saddened that she is gone, she was a staple of the UD and her absence will be felt. It was great writing with you on her. I look forward to RPing with you on other characters, it was a nice but bittersweet farewell.

It's a terrible day for rain.
Last edited by Watchful Glare on Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Biz here was a constant subliminal hum, and death the accepted punishment for laziness, carelessness, lack of grace, the failure to heed the demands of an intricate protocol.

Pincushion

Post by Pincushion » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:22 pm

Experiencing May'riina all the way from Zassus Irertaux to Jhaamnaste Claddath over the years has been a pleasure, I've never seen a character that made me wholly believe in their academic jargon quite as much as she did. She'll be sorely missed in Andunor.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:44 pm

I had a lot of fun playing with May'riina when we first made, but she evolved into such an impressive character. It was a blast being able to see over time how she changed. Kudos as always.

Bunnysmack
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Bunnysmack » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:03 pm

May'riina was such a fantastic and interesting character who managed to make so many interactions a fascinating experience.

I remember, early into being involved with the Arcanum, having trouble figuring out if she was a Wizard or a Sorcerer. On the one hand, she was super knowledgeable and committed to high standards of scholarly work. On the other hand, she was always, always, radiating fashion-diva-pretty-princess energy. I eventually posed the inquiry to a ooc group chat we were in and everyone burst out laughing, with one of the people in the chat saying, "What!? You think that I, the prettiest princess, would be an- an- INNATIST!?" :lol:

May'riina was a fantastic Drow wizard that commanded respect not merely because she was a female Drow, but because she was just better than almost everyone else and she KNEW it!
"You're insufferable..."
"That's not true! I can totally be suffered!"

Inordinate
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Inordinate » Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:10 pm

Bunnysmack wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:03 pm
May'riina was a fantastic Drow wizard that commanded respect not merely because she was a female Drow, but because she was just better than almost everyone else and she KNEW it!
We remember her greatness not because she was, nor that she made sure that we knew it.

We remember it because we were afraid to forget it.

I wish I would have met May'riina earlier in my character's life but I was fortunate to be able to experience a small glimpse of her directly and vicariously through many others. She is an exemplar of a character I won't soon forget.
If need there comes to shelter my ship on the flood;
The wind I calm upon the waves, and the sea I put to sleep

Hungering

Post by Hungering » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:20 pm

May'riina will always be Seifer's best-friend. He was rolled not too long ago himself. It's a sort of bitter-sweet thing to say I'm glad in a way, because May'riina still existing made me regret rolling Seifer. Their chemistry for screwing about in the Hub and adventuring into the literal most difficult depths of the Lowerdark as just a wizard and a cleric was wonderful. Despite both their backstories and their evil nature, they really were friends.

/salute

Airport Proximity Jesus

Post by Airport Proximity Jesus » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:47 pm

Was always a delight to interact with May'riina on all of my characters who did. I'll continue to keep her secrets c;
8-) Cool kids wear shades during the endless night 8-)

Lexx

Post by Lexx » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:48 pm

Fantastic example of a consistent, engaging long term character. Best of luck with your future projects :).

magistrasa

Post by magistrasa » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:34 pm

i took a break from commissions to draw a posthumous tribute to the underdark's prettiest princess

may'riina was such a permanent fixture in the UD that i guess i just sorta assumed that she was going to be around forever, so this is kinda shocking to me! makes me feel a little sorry for the fact that we never got to meaningfully engage with one another. may a flight of angels sing thee to thy rest Image

× Career Sharran × MILF Supreme × Artist (Allegedly) ×
Will Trade Art For Groceries Again Eventually

Skibbles

Post by Skibbles » Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:58 pm

Wow thank you all so much for the responses (and that image too - incredible!). I'm really at a loss for words :cry:
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

l33tfragiletings

Post by l33tfragiletings » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:29 pm

May'riina was the best part of Andunor for many years. It's so sad to see her go, but I'm glad that I got to meet them!

Preytoria

Post by Preytoria » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:27 am

Fantastic character! They were super influential to a lot of other players/characters. Could turn the most ordinary scene into something interesting.

Drowble Oh Seven

Post by Drowble Oh Seven » Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:34 am

Loved May! Her influence will persist for a long time yet.

Neonpig13

Post by Neonpig13 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:03 am

We didn't interact a whole lot, but your influence is felt in the UD years later. A lot of fun! I enjoyed reading all of your books.
Loren Rosemont - Alive
Nara'syn Z'ress - Dead.
Bliss Blackworth - Dead.
Mal'ovant Xel'vraxa - Gone
Jaezmorlin - Dead.
Meldin Kross - Gone.
Croosk Rosemaw - Gone.

SilverSnake
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by SilverSnake » Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:28 pm

We did not get to interact a lot buuuut! I really liked that few times we did! Kudos!

Itikar

Post by Itikar » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:51 pm

Thank you for all the wonderful roleplay that you created for me and for those around me, even with the little chance we had to interact. It really speaks greatly of the player's talent and of her dedication to the character and the community around her.

OverTheSeaToSkye

Post by OverTheSeaToSkye » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:59 pm

In'iira will be very sad she missed the ending, whatever it may have been. For all that there miiiight have been some murderous intent, she deeply respected May. <3

Looking forward to whatever comes next, when RL allows me to enjoy it!
Active Chars:
Lily-Rose - Daughter of the Storm
In'iira Arab'afin - Woman of Many Talents