Thank you from Derristan Barley

Praise and Honey Cookies from Players for Players, and Chocolate Cookies for the Devs

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Interium
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Thank you from Derristan Barley

Post by Interium » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:58 am

Hello!

Would like to take a moment to thank everyone I've interacted with so far on my toon Derristan Barley. It's the first character I created on Arelith and I have had so many incredible encounters with a lot of you, too many to count! From brief and spontanious meetings to IG years of working together or against some of you.
When I was first introduced to this server I remember being so amazed how long this world's been active and the fact it still is, be it the awesome work done by the developers, events created by DMs and the staff in general keeping things running. You don't get enough kudos but not only are you making it possible for us players to enjoy our time here but you also make it all feel alive with everything from smaller events to world changing ones.

I have to give kudos to the players too and to this day I keep being amazed at the creativity of some of you, some of the stories are worthy of movies and some of the characters worthy a book series! :)
There are too many to name and I fear if I started naming I'd miss certain players because like my character I too suffer from occassional brain farts but I like to think you know who you are and I hope I've shown my appreciation to you one way or another.

Derristan is getting older and I know there is a slight stigma to keeping a character for long (3 years of playing on and off now) and creating something new is often prefered but I always thought age is part of life and my toon has gone from a young and naive doofus, to an older and slightly more grim doofus. I've tried to change him accordingly to events happening to him personally and those around him and I'm still having fun, so this is not a farewell kudos, not yet.
I think it's important though to take a step back and let other characters shine as well and I have tried to do this by taking on more of a mentor role and delegate rather than being the grand hero, if some players feel I haven't done that sometimes I'm sorry but know that I tried to at least.

The reason I'm writing this kudos now is Derristan was retired from being the military commander and leader of Guldorand's Shields a while back, I know some think I've been hogging the position and again I'm sorry if this has been the impression but I feel I've always been open to the idea of being replaced and certainly made sure to tell all Mayors/Sheriffs that I won't hold it against them if they did fire him, it would just start another chapter.
I've had so much fun leading the Shields and I'm so grateful that I got to be a part of so much, meeting all sorts of characters from all kinds of settlements and factions, be it on the surface or in Underdark and deal with victories and just as many defeats, each affecting my toon one way or another.

This got awfully long but thank you so much to all the staff, the devs, the DMs, Irongron and mods! And thank you to all the players I've one way or another interacted with so far, be it directly or indirectly!

Much love from Derristan Barley's player.

Morgy
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: Thank you from Derristan Barley

Post by Morgy » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:46 am

I've always loved your character and find him a joy to RP with/around.

Thanks for contributing so much to making Arelith feel like a living, breathing world.

Derristan, imo, is an example of an 'older' PC done right. He's inclusive and definitely shares any stories with those around him.

Good ol' grunter!!

D4wN

Post by D4wN » Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:56 pm

You’re literally one of my favourite people. You’re super inclusive and always happy to create a great narrative for people around you, friend or foe. Your sense of humour could use some work, let’s be honest (kidding). I’m really sad our time zones don’t align better for more RP chances. You’re a treasure!

Currently playing:
Thomas Castemont - Active

Liv McDowall - Shelved
Theodor Helbrecht - Rolled
Emma Young - Rolled
Ember Joyleaf-Underfoot - Rolled

In Sorrow We Trust
Contributor
Contributor

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:02 pm

best test subject ever

I love Derristan so much. I really really do. You are amazing.

Vittoria Veleno
catch me if you can

Snake2512

Post by Snake2512 » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:22 pm

Derristan was pretty cool

Denny Lynndain-Walvish, certified rude boy - Rolled
Lysanthir Ellenocen - Shelved
Reznov Willensbane - Rolled
Vald Machjarak - Rolled
Gaderel Anjou, certified lawful good - Active
Rodolfo Duskvale, certified funny guy - Rolled
Ghug Sord - Extinguished

Aradin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Aradin » Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:43 pm

One of my favourite relationships I've explored on Arelith was the antagonism between Ikarus and Derristan during the war in the Skull Crags. What's struck me is that you as a player have a really careful awareness about other players and you attempt to make sure everyone is having fun. Terrific trait to have in a game & world like this. Keep it up! ^_^

Was Lloyd Grimm, Sai Aung-K'yi, Stink Spellworped, Ikarus, and Revyn the White.

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:01 pm

I'm still feeling a bit sore about Derristan.

Soon after releasing Skal I made a new paladin, Derristan Graves, but development required I shelve him for a few months, and by that time there was this new Derristan running around, winning accolades from players and staff alike.

Realising my own Derristan would now only be viewed as a pale imitation, he was quietly drowned freezing waters of Skaljard harbour.

RUNGRIND

Post by RUNGRIND » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:04 pm

Irongron wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:01 pm
I'm still feeling a bit sore about Derristan.

Soon after releasing Skal I made a new paladin, Derristan Graves, but development required I shelve him for a few months, and by that time there was this new Derristan running around, winning accolades from players and staff alike.

Realising my own Derristan would now only be viewed as a pale imitation, he was quietly drowned freezing waters of Skaljard harbour.
There can be only one!

Haroshia
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Haroshia » Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:04 pm

Hnghhh
Tove Auburnridge

Zavandar

Post by Zavandar » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:06 pm

good people
Intelligence is too important

woodbreeze
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by woodbreeze » Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:34 pm

derstan barel is one of my absolute favorite characters

i've been fortunate to meet him again and again from different angles, and he's always so loveable.

the player is the kindest person I've met, too. ❤️

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:04 pm

A pleasure of a character! Both as friend and foe alike. I hope you can enjoy his retirement and have time to try other stories or other PCs!

Arigard

Post by Arigard » Fri Oct 15, 2021 6:20 pm

Amazing character, even though I didn't get to RP with you much on him, the brief showdown he had in Westcliff has forever been spoken about by Gorehound to others. Hope he enjoys the retirement, well deserved!
Gorehound

Skibbles

Post by Skibbles » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:40 pm

I only got to interact with Derristan I think three times. Once during the nightmare engine Thing and two follow-up meets in the Shadovar - already it seems years ago. I remember being immediately impressed.

Derristan seemed so lifelike and was easily a character I felt compelled to engage with further although time didn't quite seem to make it easy.

I've secretly hoped to somehow meet him again on future characters just to see what he's really about. Cheers!
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

Zan

Post by Zan » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:43 am

One of the best characters around, and one of the nicest players in the community. Always a pleasure in every interaction!
Current Char: Khael'dar

"Understanding is a Three-Edged Sword"

AnselHoenheim
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by AnselHoenheim » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:46 am

Berristan Darley is absolutely a legend, and I loved every interaction I had with him, in several of my characters, and I'm sure there's still fuel to continue kicking up more things for the community, awesome player and awesome character

Kudos back to you!

PD: I want more puppies

Lawful

Post by Lawful » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:09 am

You're my boy Blue! I will always appreciate my time with the Shields on Talek, and even more so for your character Derristan's open, but slightly reluctant choice of allowing another Banite into the fold.

And you are just a awesome person, and I always enjoyed our talks out of character as well!

Lexx

Post by Lexx » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:26 pm

I've had a great series of different and differing interactions and they've always been entertaining with Derristan. Keep up the great work and here's to next time.

Sundial

Post by Sundial » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:34 pm

In my experience, in the story of Arelith, there are PCs who play leading roles and others who are supporting cast - not to say one is more exalted than the other. But Derristan Barley is unmistakably a leading man: his character arc has a kind of gravitational pull that draws your story into his. I hope the PC's twilight years continue to provide surprises.

Ekrid Aulanther
Tashtego
Isak Kerringar
Huemacoatl

triaddraykin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by triaddraykin » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:53 pm

'Derek' is irrefutably my favorite non-caster character. I'm frustrated my work schedule no longer allows for frequent interactions between our characters. Angela still thinks the world of him.
Alia: The uncanny knack of Angela Amana to make the otherwise perpetually well-mannered girl lose her temper and be HORRIBLY ASHAMED afterwards.

Who on the Team to PM and When
Public Tower Discord
Tower Library
Scroll, Wand, & Potion Costs

AstralUniverse

Post by AstralUniverse » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:02 pm

I'mma miss'em dad jokes and terrible puns. <3
Svrtr wrote:

I've spoken with Kenji and warpriest will be allowed to take elemental avatar so keep this in mind too

Crookedblossom
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Crookedblossom » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:48 am

Thank you for putting up with Beryl and for overall bringing an enjoyable character to the server.

Preserver
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Preserver » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:57 am

I'll be missing Derristan </3 !
Great PC, great player, always willing to meet and discuss, and to find a way to make everybody's RP result in something satisfactory and fun for all parties involved!

Huzzah for Dursten Brarley!

~ Lladria Sethassiel ~ (Dead!) - ~ Siobhan Gray (Departed!)
~ Elspeth Lynndain (Dead!) - Noasheel Xephrates (Dead!)
~ Yachta - ~ Providence (Dead!)

sarithia

Post by sarithia » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:54 pm

DERRSTAN

Oh my god, what a character. Easily one of the most enjoyable I've ever had the pleasure of roleplaying with, dude! He was so funny and such a treat to interact with on any of my characters, so very wholesome and hilarious in one bag. Derrstan has done much for Arelith, and I was so glad I got to see him grow if only a smidge considering how long the guy has been around! Top notch player too, without a doubt.
There are way too many screens that I have with this guy.

Greivern Elisbrinn [Active]
Yaen Oakenshade [We'll see]
Anakhsun Emeratu [Shelved]
Jihael [Dead]
Nhil [Inactive]

Whiskey

Post by Whiskey » Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:09 am

Kose here,

You said, "Derristan is getting older and I know there is a slight stigma to keeping a character for long (3 years of playing on and off now)", but nah, in your case as one other mentioned, you are doing Derristan right. He's aging, effected from past events, squints alot (lol) and you just get the feeling he has been thru so much. (mostly cuz he has). IMO, also mentioned by someone earlier, Derristan really is a legend and the player is just as well. You are about everyone around you and not yourself.

Kose came along not to long after the Shields started up in Westcliff which was Guldorand before the Fortress City got done. That was some 30 years ago in game. Joined the Shields and loved every minute of it. Fought in the War where Westcliff was nearly lost and the Monastery was destroyed, lost our Giant and many other. Went to his wedding in the Logging Grounds and just so much while I was there. Left Guldorand for awhile, came back then took a break from Kose. Been back again now for a bit and was just damn nice to see Derristand still around. Runing into him is always fun.

Truly hope you do not roll him for a good while. Thanks for being such an awesome person/player.