Grendal Bloodwater has left the building

Praise and Honey Cookies from Players for Players, and Chocolate Cookies for the Devs

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Black Wendigo

Grendal Bloodwater has left the building

Post by Black Wendigo » Sun May 31, 2015 11:48 pm

After Nine years, I finally made the decision to retire Grendal Bloodwater permanently. He's retired from the Temple of Bane and will soon leave the isle for his tribe.

Oh my what a run this has been! I have played with sooooo many chars under Grendal over the years that it would fill a book. So I will simply thank everyone who has ever rp'd with him for providing a great time. And of course special thanks to the banites. Without the Church, Grendal would have never been the char he became.

P Three
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Grendal Bloodwater has left the building

Post by P Three » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:24 am

Storm hated him, but I loved Grendal. I'm sad to see him go. Keep being awesome!
"Fail your Death Attack? Boomstick. Immune to sneak attacks? Boomstick. Gnome? Boomstick." ~ Baron Saturday

Elena

Post by Elena » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:28 am

Even though our characters never had many things in common, this is still somehow sad to see. Having a character around who experienced and witnessed so many changes of the world gives it consistence and meaning.
A great character, you did very well!
Might I respectfully suggest playing the game, rather than indulging in speculation about how we might screw the game up in future? - Mithreas, 2014

grip
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by grip » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:31 am

Woah.

EDIT* I have interacted with Grendal on every character I have played on the server. He made my first character, a short lived one, lick his boots. He used to call my second character and his little group terrorists, god I used to think that was cool when I would read that on message boards. And so on and so on, until today he has been there.

Kudos for consistency, kudos for not being afraid of making other people look cool, and mostly kudos for having the guts to roll a character I know you love.
Last edited by grip on Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thake wrote: Wanna rule Aristotlus? Gotta min/max like a pro..

GreatGospel

Post by GreatGospel » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:42 am

Major Kudos to you .. Janick will miss how he always used to say "Ifn".

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:03 am

I've only interacted with Grendal at any length as Astarial. Part of me is very sad for that, because Astarial's reason for hating Bane is so deeply rooted in his (not-very-widely-told) backstory that there was no way to 'stretch' around it without trivializing the events of his past.

Ast was never going to see Grendal's side anymore than Grendal would ever see his- which is to say there was no middle ground for those two. :)

But Talic and Grendal probably would've gotten along fine- Talic is much more open to 'questionable' business associates. :lol: I think that would've been fun, and I'm sad it'll never happen.

Well played, sir.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:29 am

Grendal has been one of those characters whose simple presence meaned RP by itself... One of those who has CHR even with a low CHR. One of those scaring you in a real sense by just the looking.

Congratulations for a well played dreadful Bane follower. Into my eyes, the Church of Bane in Arelith will never be the same without Grendal.
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

Xarge VI

Post by Xarge VI » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:34 am

Grendal is love.

I think he's been an enemy at some point to all of my characters over the years.

DSM-IV

Post by DSM-IV » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:19 am

Its hard playing a character who is hated by many especially for that long. I have much respect for you. Well done.
Not a Harper

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cuchilla » Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:45 pm

An oldie.

I remember my very first char, Cuchilla Arndt having some fun controverses with Grendal and the Banites, way back when she was in Vetinari's Council of Cordor. Grendal most certainly was most persistant!

Haven't had any longer interactions since, only bumped into Grennie from time to time. But, I am sure most will look back on him with a smile

:)

Aloise "Lois", Biarray "Ray", Uniethrade. INACTIVE: Ivory Bushdiggger DEAD: Cuchilla. Beliat, Clyasy. Cristyn. Fadriatta. Fraya Stensamler (Chief Librarian). Goirin. Greensleeves. Gwydynya. Hilda. Kaxandra. Trista. Willisa.

Baron Saturday

Post by Baron Saturday » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:13 pm

I'm very sad to see Grendal go. He wasn't a character that Helene interacted with all that frequently (especially recently), but his was a shadow that loomed large, from his punishments during her early days in Wharftown to the painting of him that hung in Soulhaven. I can't even describe how much time Helene spent staring at that, contemplating Grendal and the rest of the Church.

He'll be missed, but I hope that you'll stick around with someone new!
Rolled: Helene d'Arque, Sara Lyonall
Shelved: Kels Vetian, Cin ys'Andalis, Saul Haidt
Playing: Oshe Jordain

furryn

Post by furryn » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:29 pm

Black Wendigo wrote:After Nine years, I finally made the decision to retire Grendal Bloodwater permanently. He's retired from the Temple of Bane and will soon leave the isle for his tribe.

Oh my what a run this has been! I have played with sooooo many chars under Grendal over the years that it would fill a book. So I will simply thank everyone who has ever rp'd with him for providing a great time. And of course special thanks to the banites. Without the Church, Grendal would have never been the char he became.
I met him few times with Colan. And even though he was able to talk to, and even feel relaxed about most people both good and evil, Grendal is probably the only one i can think of that actually Scared him. Not to the point of awe, or respect. But he was genuinely scared of him.

Kudos for good RP.
- The need to utter the words "I'm not stupid" implies the opposite.
How do i know? Well, obviously because I'm not stupid.

JediMindTrix

Post by JediMindTrix » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:46 pm

Black Wendigo wrote:will soon leave the isle for his tribe.
Misleading title!

Black Wendigo

Post by Black Wendigo » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:57 pm

I said soon because I needed to finish some rp to get him off the island. Trust me, Grendal is gone for good.

Daedin

Post by Daedin » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:01 pm

Well, that is a large, menacing, hulking, wise, evil piece of history that is walking out the door.

Bring your kobold back!

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:24 am

Over the years Grendal made a huge contribution to the overall atmosphere of Arelith.

One of very few characters I would recognize immediately on sight, with consistent role-play throughout. Very well done, he will be remembered.

Ozzy.nl

Post by Ozzy.nl » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:42 pm

Oh man after all these years I never expected you to retire Grendal, and just as I have returned my self from a long time of taking a break.

He will be greatly missed.

GreatGospel

Post by GreatGospel » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:44 pm

P Three
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by P Three » Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:58 pm

GreatGospel wrote:Image

OMFG *dies*
"Fail your Death Attack? Boomstick. Immune to sneak attacks? Boomstick. Gnome? Boomstick." ~ Baron Saturday

Nulstarius

Post by Nulstarius » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:51 am

Oh my, with this I just might have to let go of one my old ones too soon. Good times with Grendal. Will remember shooting you full of arrows with fond memories :P

I look forward to see what you will do next.
Imagination is more important than knowledge. - Albert Einstein.

Roketter

Post by Roketter » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:02 pm

Loved how Grendal was so set in his ways, infuriating at times :D Bugged him to no end always fearful of being punched to the face!

Maythor red feather

Post by Maythor red feather » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:19 pm

Grendal And Doili didn't roll play to much but being on the opposite end of the good vs evil I must say you made it interesting. Hope you make a new Character and continue to be a fixture. Signed:The Grumpy Thane

WildOrchid

Post by WildOrchid » Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:52 pm

I've had the pleasure of interacting with Grendal on three of my four characters. Two of which got to spend a great deal of time with him. The RP with Grendal was always excellent, even if frustrating at times. :P

CragOneEye

Post by CragOneEye » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:12 pm

I also got to RP with grendal for a very long time both as his subordinate then later as his leader, will always have fond memories of the character
"Knowing is half the battle!" -G.I.JOE!!!

Gable Morninglord
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Gable Morninglord » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:55 pm

Kudos to BW for creating an incredibly memorable character for all of us. It does not matter which side you are on, of whether you love him or hate him, Grendal is a very consistent character who made an impact on Arelith for years.

Grendal definitely made an impression on Justian, and impacted him on many ways.

I am sure your new characters will be equally as exciting. I am glad you are sticking around.
Man of Action.