General Kudos Thread #1

Praise and Honey Cookies from Players for Players, and Chocolate Cookies for the Devs

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Watchful Glare

General Kudos Thread #1

Post by Watchful Glare » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:39 pm

I've realised lately that I'd like to mention a lot of people I've met and had fun writing with lately, and though I've always done it on Tells and such it feels better to do it openly. Sometimes it's characters I haven't been able to interact with personally, but witnessed their interactions with another. There are way too many that I've met over the years so I'll just be doing it serially little by little.

Morkhamera & Ozok
These two have to be (individually, and powered up when together) one of my favorite Orogs in the Underdark. They're a gem to interact with. Principled and unmistakeable Orog. Yet always tastfully amusing and consistent in their portrayals, that no matter when I see them around it always brings a smile to my face, whether it's them interacting with each other, interacting with others, or with any of the characters I play themselves.

Nymoria
Fairly new player and I've got to say I would have never seen it coming, we haven't had that many interactions but the character has been great altogether, specially for someone's first time roleplaying. That- And the fashion design, dresses, and outfits she makes are great aesthetic. You took some very corageous chances in some of our interactions that felt very fresh. I'm always wondering what kind of mess will she be in next.

Droizioz 'Underkeepers'
Scaredy, accutely aware of his disadvantages, but helpful nonetheless. It always adds a little extra to the Underdark as a whole to see characters who are not fighters, not corageous adventurers but trying to get by as they can. I'm fond of this one goblin, even if he has a heart attack anytime Selakiir approaches!

Bangong, Roach, Rumikar, and their merry band of Goblins (Whose names I will edit in)
I wouldn't even know where to begin with these, with all the antics and problems they have caused and the ones they have solved too, they have some really big frantic mischievous goblin energy to them and OOCly I love it, not to mention the constant, consistent effort that goes into their speech patterns. They're great.

Nilboggins
This one Goblin I enjoy too, and the player behind it has never failed to bring amusement- But more than that they have also always been keen on making player-made events encouraging others to join and be part of it, willing to roll with the punches always, completely willing to closure a character for the sake of others and the grander narrative to which he always builds but never forsaking his own personal narrative, but enhancing it with it.

Leans a lot into the RP side of things when it comes to it- And I also like and appreciate the fact that Nilboggins always speaks in rhymes and somehow hasn't skipped a beat yet. When casually conversing, when wanting to be mean to someone, when expressing frustration, or joy. I'm almost afraid to know why because I'm sure it's going to be heartbreaking underneath.

Vinea
Big matron energy despite not being one, excellent writer, very respectful player that has never failed to make compelling characters and interactions, in no small measure due to their literacy, which is top notch.

Hiram
I always say it, it's very refreshing when you meet a character that at the prospect of combat his response is "Uh- I'd kinda prefer not to." and it's due to consistant, tasteful characterization. Hiram knows what he is, down to the unflattering aspects of it and owns it, but not without being amusing to interact to. Whenever any of our characters stumble into one another, I always have a good time no matter the nature of the interaction, I only regret Selakiir being so busy lately I cannot indulge in more of it.

Tashtego
Bet you didn't see this one coming. You'll be wondering "What, who, where, when". Your interpretation of Tashtego is simply excellent, and whether it's through emotes or dialogue the characters you play are so compelling I always find myself wanting to just go out of my way to learn more of them or interact with them, so I silently hope for IC reasons to align to make that happen.

Anastasia
Skibbles is great, period. I could just leave it at that, given all the characters of yours I've interacted with have always been really, really good for very different reasons- But I have to say Anastasia is hands down the best interpretation of a vampire I've seen in Arelith. There's no doubt in your mind this person is dead. Undead. A corpse. A monster. Unnatural. Unnerving. Emotionless. Dead. At no point you feel safe in their interactions and you shouldn't- It's like the some landscape where people go drink next to a lion, or a crocodile.

Yet there's a lot more depth to it- Leaning into the philosophical aspects and willing to explore and roleplay them beyond the simple of it but more than that, in how it interacts with the mundane and the contrast it marks. With what it does to someone, that had a family, children, a life.

And the exploration of their condition, and what it's done to them on all levels.

Mosova
Your interpretation of the character has always been stellar, all the way from back when she was a slave to our most recent interactions- Her fears, insecurities, moments of courage, of anger. And a very good [REDACTED]. But I think this applies to all of your characters I've had the pelasure of interacting with- Even your latest one that's the complete opposite and almost emotionless, you're always a joy to write with.

And there are so many more I will be writing about. Don't be discouraged if your character name hasn't been written in yet.
Last edited by Watchful Glare on Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Biz here was a constant subliminal hum, and death the accepted punishment for laziness, carelessness, lack of grace, the failure to heed the demands of an intricate protocol.

Skibbles
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Re: General Kudos Thread #1

Post by Skibbles » Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:48 pm

I like characters that neither stick to a mold nor break the mold wholly, but instead shape a new one with the world around them.

Selakiir strikes me as just such a character, and usually this is something that is more easily seen when interacting through more than one perspective over time. To see one side of him on one PC, then a whole 'nother side quite some time later through the eyes of a different one, is the mark of a good player I think.

Selakiir manages to retain many of the usual things one would expect from a drow, such as paranoia and hatred, but his natural curiousity and questioning nature, played out like a sort of grim hobby, give him the true three-dimensional weight needed to really set him apart.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

fulminea

Post by fulminea » Mon Jan 03, 2022 11:14 pm

Thanks so much for the kind words, it means alot coming from you :)

Sadly I did not get to intertact much with Selakiir yet, but I hope to. He always seemed like an elusive legend.

Sundial

Post by Sundial » Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:54 pm

I certainly did not see that one coming! All I can say is cheers to you, and let's hope gravity pulls us closer.

Ekrid Aulanther
Tashtego
Isak Kerringar
Huemacoatl