To the merchants with reasonable prices

Praise and Honey Cookies from Players for Players, and Chocolate Cookies for the Devs

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

To the merchants with reasonable prices

Post by MissEvelyn » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:28 pm

Thank you for making the world of Arelith a better place. It's such a help for those of us who don't always have time to grow riches, so thank you 😊

Archnon

Re: To the merchants with reasonable prices

Post by Archnon » Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:34 pm

MissEvelyn wrote: ↑
Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:28 pm
Thank you for making the world of Arelith a better place. It's such a help for those of us who don't always have time to grow riches, so thank you 😊
Just want to echo this! People who can RP being a miserly trader and still offer good prices so that it builds the community are the lifeblood of this servers economy and you are appreciated.

Karris the Anarchist
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Karris the Anarchist » Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:32 pm

I can’t tell you how many times I put up an item for a decent price under market value only to see it purchased relatively fast and put up in another shop at market value. Capitalists - capitalists everywhere! :D

ESPECIALLY blade rune components which are notoriously expensive.
That which doesn't kill you, simply makes you... stranger.

godhand-
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by godhand- » Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:33 am

the prices of mithril dust are TOO DAMNED HIGH!
Cortex wrote: Addendum, the immediate above post by godhand is wrong in about every aspect, as were most of his other posts.

White935

Post by White935 » Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:47 am

Karris the Anarchist wrote: ↑
Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:32 pm
I can’t tell you how many times I put up an item for a decent price under market value only to see it purchased relatively fast and put up in another shop at market value. Capitalists - capitalists everywhere! :D

Perhaps a suggestion for the future is that items bought at a store, cannot be re-added to another store for X time, to at least discourage buying up stock to forcefully raise the prices? You could suggest it, the next time suggestions open up :)

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:56 pm

White935 wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:47 am
Karris the Anarchist wrote: ↑
Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:32 pm

Perhaps a suggestion for the future is that items bought at a store, cannot be re-added to another store for X time, to at least discourage buying up stock to forcefully raise the prices? You could suggest it, the next time suggestions open up :)
But that's the fun of a free market economy!!!

Really though I wouldn't want to see this happen as buying and reselling is half of trade.

Kuma
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Kuma » Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:31 pm

Start hurting characters in game if your characters take issue with this.

Not enough protection rackets and price fixing and broken knees. C'mon guys.

House Freth: Reference Information
House Claddath: Reference Information
"What's a heretic?": a guide to religious schism terminology

Irongron wrote:

4. No full screen images of the NWN gnome model (might frighten the children)

White935

Post by White935 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:05 am

Kuma wrote: ↑
Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:31 pm
Start hurting characters in game if your characters take issue with this.

Not enough protection rackets and price fixing and broken knees. C'mon guys.
Then maybe some tools to find and figure out where their origins is from so it's possible with high enough appraise to identify if the goods been moved, etc.
This way you really could have good, or bad folks enforcing such things.

dominantdrowess
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by dominantdrowess » Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:23 am

I try to keep reasonable prices, but ever since I got that hub shop -- using the exact same prices I used in a district shop -- having reasonable prices literally means one person cannot keep a shop stocked. I keep going from 30 items to 22 items in like 24-hours. Even 80 skill points and playing as much as I do isn't enough to keep things from flying off the shelves, it's madness. Add 80 spell components: Gone a half-hour later.

I feel like if you go below 91% price of other shops, they just buy you out and shove the price up. Going to have to hire an army of sub-contractors.

Drowble Oh Seven

Post by Drowble Oh Seven » Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:48 am

One day, there will come a time when I will be able to do more than push my face up against the windows of the adamantine-stores, like a child at the petshop.

One day.

Biolab00
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Biolab00 » Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:18 am

Drowble Oh Seven wrote: ↑
Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:48 am
One day, there will come a time when I will be able to do more than push my face up against the windows of the adamantine-stores, like a child at the petshop.

One day.
That really gave me a vivid picture in my mind. Aw man, some day 😭

Dalek Caan
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Dalek Caan » Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:10 am

dominantdrowess wrote: ↑
Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:23 am
I try to keep reasonable prices, but ever since I got that hub shop -- using the exact same prices I used in a district shop -- having reasonable prices literally means one person cannot keep a shop stocked. I keep going from 30 items to 22 items in like 24-hours. Even 80 skill points and playing as much as I do isn't enough to keep things from flying off the shelves, it's madness. Add 80 spell components: Gone a half-hour later.

I feel like if you go below 91% price of other shops, they just buy you out and shove the price up. Going to have to hire an army of sub-contractors.
I feel you. I moved 24 wands in 48 hours, at one point. How am I supposed to get all the xp to make new ones?!

dominantdrowess
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by dominantdrowess » Fri Jan 28, 2022 4:23 pm

Dalek Caan wrote: ↑
Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:10 am

I feel you. I moved 24 wands in 48 hours, at one point. How am I supposed to get all the xp to make new ones?!
Follow me as I murder-manga-whirlwind everything down while looking for coal, sand, dragons blood, and malachite, I guess! xD

Watchful Glare

Post by Watchful Glare » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:38 pm

Maybe make it so you can dweomer the names of your items and it cannot be un-dweomered, so you can accurately track where it ends up.

"Gnomastic fantastic Mithril Dust!", so you'll know if you see it in another shop rather than used
Biz here was a constant subliminal hum, and death the accepted punishment for laziness, carelessness, lack of grace, the failure to heed the demands of an intricate protocol.

Chronicler0

Post by Chronicler0 » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:29 am

I love the shop just before leaving the Cordor server. Gem bag, Scroll Case and Jewlery Box. Usually my first buy so that I can not have to worry about 6 pages of jewlery to sell xD

Archnon

Post by Archnon » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:49 am

Watchful Glare wrote: ↑
Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:38 pm
Maybe make it so you can dweomer the names of your items and it cannot be un-dweomered, so you can accurately track where it ends up.

"Gnomastic fantastic Mithril Dust!", so you'll know if you see it in another shop rather than used
I remember back in the day getting tier 3 dweomercrafting meant spending 3 precious feats on a caster class that had no benefit other than being able to enchant items in the basin. It was extremely common for the few enchanters out there to put a lot of time and effort into descriptions and names for the items in their shops. Inevitably, they would get bought up and sold elsewhere as custom crafted items like that were rare. It was always fun to see how far they traveled.

Arienette

Post by Arienette » Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:55 am

Chronicler0 wrote: ↑
Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:29 am
I love the shop just before leaving the Cordor server. Gem bag, Scroll Case and Jewlery Box. Usually my first buy so that I can not have to worry about 6 pages of jewlery to sell xD
Yes but this thread was about reasonably priced shops haha

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Sun Jan 30, 2022 4:09 am

Chronicler0 wrote: ↑
Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:29 am
It's crazy how consistently that shop has been that. Even when it switched hands years ago. Love that shop, too!

godhand-
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by godhand- » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:08 am

Archnon wrote: ↑
Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:49 am
I remember back in the day getting tier 3 dweomercrafting meant spending 3 precious feats on a caster class that had no benefit other than being able to enchant items in the basin.
Anyone who said this never truly understood the power of Enchantment school - Until they nerfed the hell out of enchantment in the last year or so.
Up until... about a year ago? you could dominate end-game bosses.... the stormgiant could solo maurs with ease, and made the two bosses at the end a cakewalk.
Archnon wrote: ↑
Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:49 am
It was extremely common for the few enchanters out there to put a lot of time and effort into descriptions and names for the items in their shops. Inevitably, they would get bought up and sold elsewhere as custom crafted items like that were rare. It was always fun to see how far they traveled.
this. so much this. I definitely remember seeing those items being absolutely treasured.

Call me old-fashioned but i actually liked it when enchanting was harder to do.... it made people really care about finding enchanters and treating them well.
Cortex wrote: Addendum, the immediate above post by godhand is wrong in about every aspect, as were most of his other posts.

Rei_Jin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Rei_Jin » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:22 am

This is a real issue, and I hear you.

The market in Arelith is an ever-changing thing, but if you deliberately undercut others by more than 10%, you will regularly find your goods bought and resold at a higher price; it's why there are some things I will not stock in my store, but I will sell them direct.

I've seen others do this with things like Adamantine, and I applaud it.

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cuchilla » Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:11 pm

I take that as a compliment!

Best regards
Ray. Travelling merchant and MM.

Aloise "Lois", Biarray "Ray", Uniethrade. INACTIVE: Ivory Bushdiggger DEAD: Cuchilla. Beliat, Clyasy. Cristyn. Fadriatta. Fraya Stensamler (Chief Librarian). Goirin. Greensleeves. Gwydynya. Hilda. Kaxandra. Trista. Willisa.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:48 pm

If you ever find you've been bought out by a shop-holder who's driving prices up, my personal recommendation is to go stand in front of the shop that bought you out IC, plonk a sign down in front of it that says "overpriced garbage, talk to me instead," and then stay there and sell things out of your backpack in front of the offending shop.

Even if someone comes along and smacks you down for it, the damage is done, and next time people will come looking for you, instead.

Mind you, people will get upset by this. One of the most thankless jobs in Cordor was the commerce post- making sure shops are stocked with reasonably priced items and issuing warning to shop owners who didn't fall in line. Trust that some people will be willing to PvP over this.
Last edited by Aelryn Bloodmoon on Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

dominantdrowess
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by dominantdrowess » Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:52 pm

Hahaha! It's true.. lol. If you sell it at your usual price, without the tax -- that's often enough to absolutely crush their prices, and it's what I love about the RP shops in the Andunor trade hub, etc.