To those friends our characters have lost.

Praise and Honey Cookies from Players for Players, and Chocolate Cookies for the Devs

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

dominantdrowess
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

To those friends our characters have lost.

Post by dominantdrowess » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:27 am

You might still play with the players. Or you might try, and find.. you don't fit in the way you did with a person's old character, or on your old character. And while this may create ... awkwardness, and regret.. I want to compliment it. I want to stop and take a moment ... to examine, and compliment the sheer, and insane scope of Arelith, its history, and players for a moment.

Arelith existed for years before Andunor. And if my estimations are accurate? Andunor existed for some 5 years before my first character was created some years ago. I have, in my time on Arelith, seen some objects labeled "07 AR". (Arelith Reckoning) and for MOST of Arelith's history ... this server was on a 1 IRL month == 1-year RP time, more or less. The amount of history on Arelith? Is staggering.

Server resets, time adjustments due to bugs, whathaveyou.. recently, the time system shifted to 1 month IRL = 3 months in-game. This is fine for time compression-- but I still want to examine the fact that.. the current year of Arelith Reckoning is 146 AR. And this? This roleplaying project I came so late to participate in with all of you ... Is still here. Because people love it.

And I am awed by its scope, its complexity, its scale, and the number of hours people have put into it, its secrets, its history, its roleplay, its art, its craft, its IC traditions, its rivalries, its economy, and everything else that makes Arelith the beautiful, frustrating, awe-inspiring, terrible, endearing, outrageous and fun environment that has kept all of you coming back to for so long that it is, honestly, kind of frightening. (Let's be real here ... it's been like five years since NWN ENHANCED EDITION came out!)

A private server and RP community that was so strong that they survived the slow death and rebirth of its own game. This community is pretty close to the age of World of Warcraft. In a niche genre, in a niche game. And I've been thinking about that more, and more lately. That long Arelithian history? Is littered with so many characters that had so powerful an impact that ... aren't with us anymore, and can't be met by new players ever again.

Sol'vyr of the Erudite Arcanum (And Sorcere!) ... that.. while he has an NPC in the game.. Or the Matron of Pit-Town, who I never got to meet as a player also immortalized by an NPC ... the history of interconnected and interwoven characters is so vast that it boggles the mind to the point where it's impossible to even begin recording their origins and relationship connections. But these are just the ones we see with something left behind.

So what I'd like to do today? Is take just a moment to remember some of our favorite characters that others might not know ever existed. Whether it's years ago, or months ago ... some unsung hero you're not sure is rolled or still kicking around-- mention someone who was fun, or funny, or friendly, or terrifying and villainous who you ran from. Anecdotes, and things you loved, and missed.

I know the players of only two of these characters; and have never really tried to keep track of people's alts.. so if I've crossed paths with you since and never said hello? It's honestly because I never even knew it was you. Thank-you anyways. I like taking characters at face value and sometimes don't get along with people's 'new' characters anyways.. but these characters? Taught me valuable things about Arelith, probably without intending to.

For me, my unsung heroes are:
Grelveth: The "Human Necromancer-Wizard with the skull mask" who ran the potion shop right in front of the hub bank. I have no idea what his name was, and I was like.. level 8. Some male drow who wooped butt (Edit: Snuggybear? What? Haha.) with a dual-wield quarterstaff that Saslae liked and who helped her a lot mouthed off to the wizard, and the wizard killed the drow male.. and then Saslae picked up the drow's body, but was then over-encumbered and tried to run to save him. He demanded the body, Saslae refused, and he killed her and bashed both ... but 24 hours later, my character approached him, to try to bribe him to forget the matter, with her meager gold. And he accepted and set the matter aside. He later enchanted Saslae with some basic gear while I was still getting started on Arelith and had no idea what I was doing. (I was like level 16 with 1 level of weapon master, haha.) I was legitimately kind of sad when he eventually told Saslae he was leaving the city, as he had enough gold.. said he was going to the mainland, and that was that. This is when I realized 'rolling' a character was possible. As a Kensai? I had to branch out, and meet new people to even function because I quickly ran out of potions that I used to buy exclusively from his shop and some of the meanings of loss, and people rolling began to dawn on me. The new person who took over that shop wasn't a potion vendor ... and suddenly, when I thought I had a system for leveling figured out: I had no idea how to play the game again. This interaction of getting dunked, and bribing him (and him accepting the bribe and letting the grudge go in exchange for the respectful offering) is kind of how I developed Saslae's idea of what 'proper behavior' was in Andunor: Once the point is made and they acknowledge it and change the behavior? You let it go so business and gold may continue to flow.

Queln'rak: This drow male had self-marketing down to a science. He'd just shout his name and walk around loudly, and beat people with a halberd. Respectful to all-female drow, and an absolute beast in a fight. Always talked in the third person, but the man was a machine, and he was absolutely unforgettable. I am told he was one of the last Udos holdovers. The player taught me some game mechanics and showed me where a special key I found went and I periodically go back to show newbies where the key goes, just to repeat this experience for others. Queln'rak was larger than life.. and.. yet? Somehow he was never obnoxious. He was rolled before I was level 30 I think, like a lot of people on this list. I knew nothing of Arelith builds, and I took my first level of weapon master at almost level 17, while talking to him. He was a weapon master, and we both had two-handers, and him whirlwind-ing things to death was amazing to me as he showed me around the areas outside Andunor out exits I had never found. I think he even took Saslae to the surface once. I don't think he ever said it .. but him saying something like: "QUALN'RAK IS LARGE AND HUNGRY!" is something that always repeated in my mind like a meme, haha.

Siefer Rosemont almost 4 years ago. A male Tiefling Battle-Cleric. He was polite but HE LIKED TO FIGHT! I couldn't remember his first name after so many years (though someone just reminded me!), but I know he had a sister character still kicking around in the last year or so. I remembered him standing up for my character back before she was anyone important ... maybe he just wanted a brawl, but he was pretty great. He was fun to do dungeons with. Last saw him in The Andunorian Slave Pits, where we were all gambling on cage fights. Our characters whispered together ... and he was never seen again by Saslae. Sas tried to reach out to his sister, but ... she had her own thing going on. My character was always convinced he got (REDACTED) by (REDACTED), but she never found out for sure.

The other one was a Female Drow Spellsword, just before the Sharps/Brogenstein war between Blimth and Vance Gravelle. The two of us got in a row with 3 Brogensteiners (Buppy, Falgrim Vintergaard, long before he became Thane! :D And a female dwarf who later labeled my character 'The Selfish-Rock' which is a title Saslae kept for years.) in a place called "The Needle Chamber" that she had shown me (which has always had a special place in my heart since) and.. the Brogensteiners won hard. Never actually got to RP with her again. My character swore a blood feud against Falgrim and Brogenstein that lasted decades because of THIS specific event but there's no record of this character's name, and my character sometimes mutters in shame about having forgotten the name of her first friend after so many years; it's kind of become a growing neurosis for her. I loved her little: "I mean business" waddle that she'd do with a bad attitude. I think it was the HoTU female skeleton? It was weird. The anim change they made that everyone hated.. but with her robe it looked like she was scooting with haste, and about to walk over politely and beat someone with a newspaper when she had her perfectly level rapier out at her side. It was kind of 'barely contained vibecat'-ing while walking on a character who I remember (possibly incorrectly!) as very intense and judgemental; like she was trying to keep herself from losing it until she got to the target of her ire. She is THE REASON I made my surfacer a Spellsword way back in the day.

Tornius, the former Blackguard of Bane, turned wisened and aged Blackguard of Cyric. Saslae and he bonded over the mutual hate of that current generation of Banites and both fought against them; talking about their independent struggles and issues. He also saved her from a vampire lord who was trying to kill her. He was the father of Mathew Darnissian-Gravelle. Both Tornius and his son Matthew were disciples of Vance Gravelle, though Mathew never met his father or mother as an adult. One of Saslae's few friends. Tornius's death set Saslae on a very, very dark and paranoid path. Ever since she's been kind of possessive and protective of Matthew.. and she had a weird phase where she kind of began being protective of specific bloodlines of former allies for a while, trying to cultivate multi-generational loyalty realizing how quickly they all die and how she could very likely outlive them all as an 'elf'. (Dark or not) Tornius's (REDACTED) was Saslae's first brush with The Void Cult. Tornius was the first human Saslae (tried) to see as a peer, and appreciated for more than what she could get out of him ... and then he died. And Saslae was suspicious of (REDACTED) forever, after that and would have killed (or tried to kill) them if she ever got the impression that individual was planning to kill Tornius's son.

A Warlock my spellsword's leveling party had affectionately named 'Antlers' because of the helmet he wore. Leveled up with him on Skalijard, with Taestra Rinn. We came to Brogenstein, and? Last time we were all together, to explore an ice cavern we found.. there was a server crash, and we never managed to get "the band" back together. Herald? Harold? I don't remember his name, but he always made me laugh and I loved RPing with him. I tried going back to my spellsword, but playing without him was never the same. Fell out of love with my own surface character without him.

Airli, The Pixie-Knight ... He was ... 'openly fey', haha. Until you have stopped to examine the madness of entire groups of drow running in terror from a pixie who talks constantly about 'the power of friendship' and being 'happy and gay together' ... flying pixie-dust circles and loop-de-loops around everyone AT THE SAME TIME THE PLAYER IS SOMEHOW TYPING (how do your fingers do that?!), you haven't laughed hard enough. And it was innocent, beautiful laughter that was never really at anyone's expense. I loved this character dearly, and could never see enough of him. Then he got rolled, and none of my characters ever found he was gone. I only found out through OOC. He was a wonderful experience to talk to on my surface character and the little fairy was killing people with a 2-handed rapier years before Falchions existed. <3 I also remember him saying, any time someone said the word 'Yes!' in ear shot: "You said yes! We're getting married!" like he had seen it happen once, and innocent, and child-like he repeated it like a meme; and he'd fly around happily in circles for like 10 minutes going on and on about it. It was so beautiful. I think he had at least 10 (male and female!) "husbands" and he'd call them that at all future meetings ... a groan-worthy and ongoing gag that worked because he was so innocent. It was beautiful. I believed him as a fairy.

Though references may exist somewhere? I never found them. Who're your unsung heroes from your early days, or even just awhile ago that history books may not remember?
Last edited by dominantdrowess on Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:47 am, edited 37 times in total.

Aradin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: To those friends our characters have lost.

Post by Aradin » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:30 am

For me it has to be Ukyo Kuonji. She was a mystic theurge that my first character Revyn utterly fell for, and we spent the remainder of those characters' lives playing together. We went through so much, even moved to Skal for a few RL weeks as a romantic vacation because we'd heard of it as this distant Swiss-like village wonderland (going to Skal for a romantic vacation is, looking back, unintentionally the funniest premise I have ever conceived of in this game.).
Revyn's story was a tragedy and a great deal of how gripping it was came from his love with Ukyo. When I rolled him I felt some genuine emotional catharsis, and I realized how invested I was in this pixelated relationship! The experience made me realize that there are some powerful stories that can be told through the medium of Arelith.

Ukyo's player is still around (kudos to her, by the way, for her inspired roleplaying) and we've crossed paths on different characters here and there, but nothing has been the same as that lightning in a bottle chemistry that we had as Ukyo and Revyn.

Was Lloyd Grimm, Sai Aung-K'yi, Stink Spellworped, Ikarus, and Revyn the White.

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:46 pm

While the group is no more and it's players scattered to various ends, my time with the von Brandts still holds the deepest feels for me as a player. We were close and the RP was awesome.

Attempts by a few of us to stay together on new PCs failed however, and the whole affair taught me much about the nature of Arelith RP. While we may never be that close again, there is always the chance we cross paths IG which is bitter sweet . . . But never sad.

MissEvelyn
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by MissEvelyn » Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:41 pm

I love this thread, because it rings so true. There are those we used to play with back in the day, whose players we have no idea if they are still with us. They impacted us so much that every day we roleplay, they are a part of us.

For me, there were many people throughout the courses of my first few characters' lives that really made a difference on me. The truth is, I don't remember all their names, likely because it was more than 15 years ago and I was still a teen (!!!).

The one that made the most impact on me, I would say, was Shea Berringer. If the player of Shea is still out there, thank you, you were an amazing writing companion, and you set the bar for incredible roleplay. You inspired everyone around you, and I strove to write like you 😌

There were many others, and I also don't want to hijack this thread, just give my nod to it.

godhand-
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by godhand- » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:50 pm

MissEvelyn wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:41 pm
I love this thread, because it rings so true. There are those we used to play with back in the day, whose players we have no idea if they are still with us. They impacted us so much that every day we roleplay, they are a part of us.
So many names i cannot even remember from a time long ago.

Much like OP, i was playing before EE, i tried to make the most of the game because i thought one day it would soon be gone. And now its revived and going stronger and better than ever. Some players from back then still around, many gone, many new faces.

There was a fixture i found once somewhere in the module, in an area i'm confident has since been remade and the fixture gone....
It was nestled in the trees, described to be a carving in the tree.
A meta nod/thankyou to the server, that brought tears to my eyes..... Upon it was written something similar to the below.
(i'll probably butcher the description.... but it moved me.)

"I am now long gone from this place, but my memories of this place remain. They will be cherished for they brought me much joy. And i hope one day, they bring you that same joy too."
Cortex wrote: Addendum, the immediate above post by godhand is wrong in about every aspect, as were most of his other posts.

Sombricimos

Post by Sombricimos » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:50 pm

I'll add a names that stuck with me from when I started, almost two years ago.
Sencliff edition
Jackie Two-knives - I've always wondered where this person went

Thulduk Ur'durak or something close to that. Just a nice person to play with

Seraphine Blackreign - My first captain. Always will be.

The Watcher (disguised) - Super friendly OOC and gave me the tools to understand how caster classes worked, with some tips for Shadow sorcs who remain to this day my go-to "I just want to have fun on an alt" class

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:51 am

Ah! I also wanted to mention Sojourner and Ponty. They taught me most of what I know about builds and spellcasting.

Great guys OOC and even better RPers.

Drowble Oh Seven

Post by Drowble Oh Seven » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:10 am

I will never forget Richard Woodsman taking my poor, self-loathing necrosorc under his wing.

He was a ranger-assassin that played on the classic pipe-smoking, casual ranger preconception really well, and remains a touchstone for me for a character with secrets that remains engaging with other folks.

Jarreyn Renaut was an excellent troubled-past WM; who experienced subtle but human, meaningful(!) growth over his time as a character. He was the reason I played my elf wizard for as long as I did, and him putting up with her speaking exclusively elven contributed to her becoming less of an absolute xenophobe than she started out as. I like to think he made her a better person.

And Lucia Maleuavex (boldly misspelled, of course); who I am contractually obliged never to forget. She knows what she did.
Last edited by Drowble Oh Seven on Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Snake2512

Post by Snake2512 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:11 am

Draelyn - Some of the best RP I've ever run into.

Denny Lynndain-Walvish, certified rude boy - Rolled
Lysanthir Ellenocen - Shelved
Reznov Willensbane - Rolled
Vald Machjarak - Rolled
Gaderel Anjou, certified lawful good - Active
Rodolfo Duskvale, certified funny guy - Rolled
Ghug Sord - Extinguished

Sundial

Post by Sundial » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:00 pm

Back in the DAY (call it 2013 or so), there was a brilliant RP'er who went by red_ganot. They played a talonite priestess named Nikola who may have been my favorite PC on the server. Fastidious, cruel, manipulative - she was vile to the core, but her story ended in a moment of dignified self-sacrifice. I'm not sure if that player is still around, under a different moniker, but their characters are a highlight on my memories from back then.

Ekrid Aulanther
Tashtego
Isak Kerringar
Huemacoatl

Rogaku

Post by Rogaku » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:24 am

There are so many for me it'd be hard to even begin to try... I feel like naming specifics would do a disservice to people who were equally important but I can't recall off the top of my head.
Major Characters:
Lacroix Sudentan (Deceased) , Rory Tate (Retired), Harcourt Fentyon: (Deceased) , Rachielle Du Vernais (Deceased) . Aloysious Valoheim (Retired), Troius Meridio (Deceased), Earnhardt Creid (Deceased)

TheVigilant
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by TheVigilant » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:04 am

I won't elaborate or get into specifics but each of the players behind the keyboard of these characters impacted my experience on Arelith in a very profound way. I hope others have had just as many memorable interactions with them be it on the characters listed, or other characters that have been penned by the same authors:

Palas, Grail, Zinlor, Samir Lyons, Wylan'la Sasema, Aesir, Nelehein [of Impiltur], Ubaldo Ferraz, Lysander [of Cormanthor], Alarya, Rhue del’Assandro, Kamir Sunsteel, Havardr Steinsson/Herial Ghalen, James Malhinde and Pugdish.

Even after a decade they've not been forgotten.

| Oria Mavekix - Rolled | Maelawen - Rolled | Ylva Gudmundottir - Rolled |
|Bauth'va Uli'far- Rolled |Niamh Drexler-O'Briar - Rolled |
| Celitha Galincourt - Active |

OverTheSeaToSkye

Post by OverTheSeaToSkye » Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:48 pm

Timmy.
Coar (Trintiren Elraiendel).
Wylan'la
Max (That was the player, not the char, he was Wy's RL brother)
Syrian - Love you, boo
Anyone Daedinplayer made, ever. Love you too boo
Herial-player is a butt and I totally don't talk to him on Discord.
Stephen/Scurvy. See the love-you-boo above
Eamon (Ork) We already did this
Uthros - You gd boss
Ilphy (I don't care if she's still here shush)
Red_Ganot who played uh...Started with an O...Lyssa's best girlfriend. Dammit.
Active Chars:
Lily-Rose - Daughter of the Storm
In'iira Arab'afin - Woman of Many Talents

LichBait

Post by LichBait » Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:38 pm

Talyrrae Xun'viir
Phaerlyn (RIP Rodent)
Nylian
Diem
Kiaravas (Horribly misspelled likely, the Card Mage)
Asb'el Dor'ae (Probably mispelled)
Ta'lak
Ilmryn Xun'viir
Xullthrae Xun'viir
Naeriza Auv'ryndal (butchered the spelling)
Barra
Wheua Xun'viir
Kron Xun'viir
Ches'riia Arab'afin/In'iira
Vasiira
Chasugana
Belfryn
Arakh/Ezra
Krenfryn
Lesrak/Malagnar/Hlarnoth
Sol'vyr
Vance Gravelle
Iymosk Xun'viir
Mayala Xun'viir
Aun'rae
Tee'Tea
Chenizra Xel'vraxa
Vierna Xun'viir
Beldath Xun'viir
May'riina
Sydney Harrow

And so, so many more that it's kind of a horrible disservice not to name them.

Current
Ayiesha Dahyarif
Ilphaeryl Xun'viir

Ping14
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Ping14 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:38 am

LichBait wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:38 pm
Kiaravas (Horribly misspelled likely, the Card Mage)
Oh cool. Didn't know the card mage was previously a PC ran toon.
One of the toughest boss fights out there. It was fun, and was unexpected.
I was LoL-ing on my seat as I navigate the dialogue box (nah what could happen... click it, you give me a red button, I'LL CLICK IT)
Its savage, but I won't ruin the fun for the others. :lol: :lol: :lol:

There's alot of flavor in that NPC, makes you think what they were like when they ran it.

Skibbles
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Skibbles » Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:13 pm

Sundial wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:00 pm
Back in the DAY (call it 2013 or so), there was a brilliant RP'er who went by red_ganot.
I remember them, though I think it was specifically RED_GANOT in all caps. I..think. I don't remember the talonite but I do recall the deaf graveyard keeper... I can't remember the name, but reading below jogged my memory maybe.
OverTheSeaToSkye wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:48 pm
I want to say Ossian, but I could swear he was a male. Unless they played two characters with an O?

Either way great player.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

Xarge VI

Post by Xarge VI » Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:22 pm

I want to jump in The RED_GANOT bandwagon! An awesome player responsible for my most memorable story in Arelith.

First as the evil Talonite who was sacrificed by my Umberlant Joron in order to rescue his wife from Umberlee's Locker.

Then as the resurrected drowned woman and we got to rp happily ever after unravel and end in Joron being sacrificed to Umberlee.

Awesome. Player.

Borin Drakkmurl

Post by Borin Drakkmurl » Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:02 pm

There're way too many people, over the years, that have left a mark for me. Quite a few of them have been mentioned before, or have actually posted on this thread.
If I start listing names, this will take forever, because it is amazing just how much I do still remember, and how many players and characters have left a permanent impression, over the course of 15+ years.

Instead, I'll just express love.

I've played barely more than a handful of hours in the past year and half, and am far too busy in real life, with good things, to be able to dedicate any proper time to this server. And still I find myself, often (perhaps too often), wishing I could still shroud myself in my Arelith blanket and disappear into this world for hours on end.

All because of the people I've met. The people I miss.

And all the fun we had together.
Past characters: Daedin Angthalion; Lurg Norgar; Urebriwyn; Ubaldo Ferraz; Erodash Uzdshak; Borin; Belchior Heliodoro; Orestes Fontebela

Ping14
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Ping14 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:41 am

Xarge VI wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:22 pm
I want to jump in The RED_GANOT bandwagon! An awesome player responsible for my most memorable story in Arelith.
Oh! Now I remember. I didn't get to see the Talonite. But if memory serves me well, I believe he also did played Gideon Croix's (?) (forgot even the spelling... but there's a statue of this pally inside ruined benwick) companion. Im not sure if they did the same gender romance thing but its the signal they've been giving off. Reminds me of film actually, the budding romance that slowly builds among comrades at arms.

Also Amarylis, the three were almost always together. Which leaves my elven wizard confused when the three of them are all together (Had the King Arthur - Guinevere - Launcelot thing going on I think). Was great to be around the trio all in all. Had great chemistry.

Never got to see their end though, it was the time that I left the server to pursue uni.

Dovesong

Post by Dovesong » Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:01 pm

Skibbles wrote:
OverTheSeaToSkye wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 9:48 pm
I want to say Ossian, but I could swear he was a male. Unless they played two characters with an O?

Either way great player.
YAS! And yes, he was male but he was still her best girlfriend lol
In'iira - Woman of Many Talents.

Lily-Rose - Daughter of the storm

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:45 pm

They played Ossian and uh... Mari-something? Joron's wife? Amazing player. Deeply missed.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)