The area work of Twohand

Praise and Honey Cookies from Players for Players, and Chocolate Cookies for the Devs

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

The area work of Twohand

Post by Irongron » Tue May 10, 2022 12:00 pm

I don't often do kudos threads, for a number of reasons. Foremost of these is that I am so grateful and appreciative of all of our staff, across so many roles, and to single one out can potentially be demotivating to all those others that work so hard on the team.

Still, it is fair to say I know a thing or two about area work for NWN. It is really hard to get right, horribly time consuming, and in addition to technical skill, it requires a good grasp of gameplay design, and no small amount of creative flair.

The update I sent live yesterday was not only a huge body of work, but one that genuinely left me humbled in its raw skill and beauty.

Twohand truly nailed it.

As the lead here on Arelith I'm grateful, but as a player? I'm just very excited by what might lie ahead for us.

MathAenya

Re: The area work of Twohand

Post by MathAenya » Tue May 10, 2022 1:03 pm

I was walking in Skal towards my writ when I noticed a transition area that wasn't there before. I found myself fighting raiders in a brand new cave and beautiful environments!

Thank you for the work TwoHand and to everyone else on the team for your labor of love!

Crookedblossom
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Crookedblossom » Tue May 10, 2022 3:09 pm

I haven't been to the new or updated areas yet since I don't have a character to the appropriate level just yet, but I can say that I'm super excited to experience them! I can't wait to see it all, and thank you to Twohand for putting a lot of work into this!

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Tue May 10, 2022 3:40 pm

Haven't been to them myself, either, but love any thematic approach to areas. I hope with continued effort from Twohand we'll really start to see continuity with areas.

Skibbles
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Skibbles » Wed May 11, 2022 3:36 am

I'm very much looking forward to trying to find these areas over the weekend!
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

Nurel
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Nurel » Thu May 12, 2022 7:54 am

While I didn't get the chance to see the new areas *yet*, the screenies speak for themselves :)

Huge kudos to Twohand for making this happen, its always great to see dedicated players put on the mantle of Creator to make such awesome content for all to enjoy

My man Twohand you are the definition of good people, thank you!
PS: Planes! Not the flying kind, the other kind. Specifically Hades please and thank :)

Seekeepeek

Post by Seekeepeek » Thu May 12, 2022 12:30 pm

Only went to Zamishar's Woe so far, but it was great. I hope you find time to make more areas in the future, after a well deserved break. It can be pretty time consuming and hard to make proper areas in the toolset after all, so kudos to you. :)

Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia » Thu May 12, 2022 2:25 pm

Not gonna lie... Those screenshots look like A+ A+ A+ work.

Done.

Rei_Jin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Rei_Jin » Sat May 14, 2022 2:21 pm

I’ve been through Galerock and Zamishar’s Woe, and visited a friends’ home at Weatherstone. Found the hidden cottage, and checked the Cricket Caves hopefully (but all are leased currently).

The attention to detail and the quality are plain to see, and I for one am thankful for this work.

I look forward to more of twohand’s work in the future!

dominantdrowess
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by dominantdrowess » Thu May 19, 2022 8:17 pm

Nurel wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 7:54 am
While I didn't get the chance to see the new areas *yet*, the screenies speak for themselves :)

Huge kudos to Twohand for making this happen, its always great to see dedicated players put on the mantle of Creator to make such awesome content for all to enjoy

My man Twohand you are the definition of good people, thank you!
PS: Planes! Not the flying kind, the other kind. Specifically Hades please and thank :)
A promenade of The City of Brass... joking (but not joking - Bat-country's Efreeti in Dis left me desperate for more exotic culture zones xD) -- good job on the zones, Twohand. <3 Love your work. Always been a King.

Also: A wild Batrachophrenoboocosmomachia appears. *Throws Pok-e-ball!*

Zaravella
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Zaravella » Fri May 27, 2022 12:46 am

I made several alts in Skal to strive to see all these new areas. Although Ive told Twohand thanks in Discord Im here again to give kudos and proverbial honey cookies. Koolness.
"Power is not revealed by striking hard or striking often; But by striking true."
-Honore de Balzac-