R I T U A L S

Praise and Honey Cookies from Players for Players, and Chocolate Cookies for the Devs

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

magistrasa

R I T U A L S

Post by magistrasa » Fri May 27, 2022 7:28 pm

I have never been more excited to play Arelith and explore the world than I am right now with this update. And while I have no idea what any of this means or how any of it works, I cannot WAIT to see what the new system has in store for us. Truly a stroke of genius. Thank you so much for adding such a major way for players to interact with the world!

× Career Sharran × MILF Supreme × Artist (Allegedly) ×
Will Trade Art For Groceries Again Eventually

Good Character

Re: R I T U A L S

Post by Good Character » Fri May 27, 2022 8:10 pm

Agreed! I hope it remains masked in mystery for its longevity.

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Fri May 27, 2022 8:19 pm

I'm fine with a bit of mystery but much like server-located boons I think the potential mechanical bonuses behind them should eventually be documented and publicly distributed. I'm not a fan of hidden mechanical bonuses that only players in the know can benefit from in the long-term, even, and especially, if I'm in the know.

I do see the appeal to FOIG for this system, and I'm not knocking it. Just suggesting that it shouldn't be a permanent status.

I'm curious- are these rituals entirely home-brew, or do they have their roots in FR lore and rituals? Are they a mix of both?
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Kenji
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Kenji » Fri May 27, 2022 8:50 pm

Garrbear gave us the ideas of Rituals and ActionReplay made it happen. This will be a great feature for all existing and future developers to utilize.

Good Character

Post by Good Character » Fri May 27, 2022 9:54 pm

Aelryn Bloodmoon wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 8:19 pm
I'm fine with a bit of mystery but much like server-located boons I think the potential mechanical bonuses behind them should eventually be documented and publicly distributed. I'm not a fan of hidden mechanical bonuses that only players in the know can benefit from in the long-term, even, and especially, if I'm in the know.
Admittedly, I wish even those remained a complete mystery. Yes, there's a power difference in those who are aware and aren't but it's not a power difference hidden by exclusivity but just knowledge a character can learn IC.

Personally, when I first learned about it IC I was so glad it wasn't spoiled OOC for me; it helped give me a genuine feeling of excitement I put into my character.

If it is ever documented, it should definitely be hidden behind multiple warnings and I hope it's still not permitted to be shared on the official Discord.

Crookedblossom
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Crookedblossom » Fri May 27, 2022 10:13 pm

I'm very excited to learn how these work! Looking forward to playing with it and seeing how it impacts the world!

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Fri May 27, 2022 10:47 pm

I mean, with the amount of ic sages and scholars around, I susspect that various rituals will become common knowledge if purely through IC means.

And I think that's pretty good.

Speaking personally? I REALLY like the mystery at the moment.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Kenji

Post by Kenji » Fri May 27, 2022 11:00 pm

The GrumpyCat wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 10:47 pm
I mean, with the amount of ic sages and scholars around, I susspect that various rituals will become common knowledge if purely through IC means.

We will design a fully randomly generated system of roulette that randomizes the rituals and their required components to keep everyone guessing.

Even the devs will not know the answer to each and any of the rituals from thereon.

I jest... or am I?

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Fri May 27, 2022 11:50 pm

Good Character wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 9:54 pm
Aelryn Bloodmoon wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 8:19 pm
Admittedly, I wish even those remained a complete mystery. Yes, there's a power difference in those who are aware and aren't but it's not a power difference hidden by exclusivity but just knowledge a character can learn IC.

Personally, when I first learned about it IC I was so glad it wasn't spoiled OOC for me; it helped give me a genuine feeling of excitement I put into my character.

If it is ever documented, it should definitely be hidden behind multiple warnings and I hope it's still not permitted to be shared on the official Discord.
I get the sentiment here, but I feel that this sentiment has an inevitable expiration for its shelf life. The sentiment only applies to each player for the first character they play to discover this mystery. Henceforth, the player is able to utilize this knowledge in all future building efforts, meaning that on their next character, despite the fact that this character starts off not knowing about the mystery IC, the player still does. The next character is not earning the advantage IC, the character is gaining the advantage because the player knows, no matter how prettily they dress it up on screen.

And once it reaches that point, it's impossible to claim equal building opportunities for players unless all players know and can utilize the same information. Kind of like the potion trick.

Please take note of the emphasis- I am not suggesting that the knowledge of how the ritual is done be documented OOC- that's exactly the part that I think remains a fun FOIG idea. I'm suggesting that all potential mechanical bonuses gained from successfully completing rituals be compiled (at a certain point in the future) so that people can build with the fact in mind that those numbers can exist, and they can then go out IC and look for them.

Kenji wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 11:00 pm
The GrumpyCat wrote:

We will design a fully randomly generated system of roulette that randomizes the rituals and their required components to keep everyone guessing.

Even the devs will not know the answer to each and any of the rituals from thereon.

I jest... or am I?

If you're actually up for that much work, this would also be really awesome, and legitimize never revealing the mystery, as all players would operate behind the same veil no matter how many times they successfully executed a ritual. This would be my favorite approach - but then I'd ask for an extra step; that once a specific character successfully executed a ritual, that method of execution would be locked to that character. They could share and involve others in the ritual, but no one else would be able to use it the same way.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

DM Poppy

Post by DM Poppy » Sat May 28, 2022 1:14 am

Kenji wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 11:00 pm
The GrumpyCat wrote:

I jest... or am I?
Yes please.
I'm the nice one.. I promise :twisted:

ReverentBlade

Post by ReverentBlade » Sat May 28, 2022 2:39 am

I dislike hidden math and mechanics in video games.

Party in the forest at midnight

Post by Party in the forest at midnight » Sat May 28, 2022 4:00 am

This is really cool and I'm looking forward to seeing how it gets expanded.

White935

Post by White935 » Sat May 28, 2022 12:42 pm

This is really cool, generally anything that requires effort, and people working together is a good source of purpose and common goals. I remember i envisioned epic spells had to be researched, not selected from a feat equally.. gathering assistants and research "tokens" around the world to help create said spells.

I'll be greatly curious how the different materials that'll be used for the rituals will be implemented.