Coronation of Oak Vintergard

Praise and Honey Cookies from Players for Players, and Chocolate Cookies for the Devs

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

TooManyPotatoes

Coronation of Oak Vintergard

Post by TooManyPotatoes » Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:54 pm

I realised early on with Oak that I’d never be able to do one of those Kudos threads where I thank everyone who had an impact on him as a character, or I as a player. There have simply been too many, and this has only accelerated since he became Brogendenstein’s settlement leader.

Despite that, I do think it would be an injustice to not at least attempt to thank everyone involved in Oak’s Coronation.

The Coronation is somewhat of a colossal effort as far as things go, necessitating a lot of coordination and input. There are a ton of traditions that have been added over Brogendenstein’s history that players have painstakingly kept alive. The last one being held December 2018!

I had never seen a Coronation myself so I was reliant on others for some parts. At the same time we were able to make the event our own, with many contributions from new players to the process (too many to mention). I was within my rights to ignore it all and do things in a far more straightforward manner, but I think the end result speaks for itself.

I was shocked by how many attended, but at the same time, I was able to recognise almost everyone and recall at least one significant past interaction that has stayed with me.

My thanks go out to those involved in the carrying out and preparations for the Ceremony and feast itself: Doili Troff, Naly Vintergard, Kardus Silverhammer, Suria, Sybil, Team Fuzzypaw, Clan Goldenbeard, Stratonike Silvbriga, Valdrin, Grolick Grayfury, Taggert Redbeard and the rest of the Kuldarn. As always, thank you to Brogendenstein (incl: Great Grotto) and Bendir for just being themselves. I am surrounded by players who are not only great roleplayers but also incredibly thoughtful.

A special shoutout to Meriam Fuzzypaw, Khardar Goldenbeard, Gale Birchwater and DM Starfish, without which there wouldn’t have been the mountains of unique food. Another thank you to Doili and Naly for their coaching me through the various processes and their general supportiveness, and to Kardus for rising to the occasion on the clergy side of things at relatively short notice.

I was touched by the attendance of those from outside the Brog-adjacent settlements. House Rivorndir, House Amethystall, Crag Rangers, Heartwood, the Tower, along with all the Government Officials/Guards and individual citizens of all other settlements.

I couldn’t find time to interact with even half of the 90 or so attendees who came, but I hope I can find the time on Oak to make up for that.

Finally, sorry for all the lag.

Preserver
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Coronation of Oak Vintergard

Post by Preserver » Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:10 pm

Yay Oak!

The event was really nice and although I couldn't stay for food and mead, I can tell it was a pretty glorious feast given the sheer amount of food :D ! Oak's player is great, excellent example of nice RP and inclusivity, which can always come and bite you in the behind when RPing a settlement leader.

Loved to RP with and hope to RP more - for there can never be TooManyPotatoes.

~ Lladria Sethassiel ~ (Dead!) - ~ Siobhan Gray (Departed!)
~ Elspeth Lynndain (Dead!) - Noasheel Xephrates (Dead!)
~ Yachta - ~ Providence (Dead!)

Aradin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Aradin » Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:26 pm

Kudos not only to Oak but to the dwarven community. It really felt a distinctively dwarven ceremony; all these longheld traditions being showcased, from the swearing by the ingots of metal to the listing of thanes past. In the world of Arelith where politics move by at lightning speed (I counted I think 5 ex-chancellors of Cordor in attendance), the collective acceptance of the playerbase that Brogendenstein functions fundamentally differently is something special. The dwarves have these longstanding traditions that could technically be ignored if all you paid attention to was the mechanics of the server and not the roleplay, but players choose to uphold them instead. I haven't seen anything quite like it in my time on Arelith.

Anyways, you're a generous and talented roleplayer and I look forward to more interactions with Oak. Cheers!

Was Lloyd Grimm, Sai Aung-K'yi, Stink Spellworped, Ikarus, and Revyn the White.

Arienette
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Arienette » Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:24 pm

Very much agree with all that has been said.

Also want to send a thanks to DOMILLA NOODGOODLE for helping Taggert out with security plans; even if we have to throw them all away at the last minute due to some truly unprecedented lag. :lol:

Taggert is my first dwarf. In my time playing him, I have seen firsthand that all of the great stuff I had always heard said about Dwarf RP on Arelith is true; this coronation is just a shining example of that. Playing with a group of characters who have accepted as a core principle that friendly cooperation, tradition, long-term thinking, and orderliness are basic prerequisites is a totally different experience to any other I have had on Arelith. And those concepts were on display in a big way in the coronation!

MarkRed

Post by MarkRed » Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:23 am

This was was talked about briefly in the Brog discord, but seemingly for the first time the Coronation was a *server* event, and not just an *Earthkin* event!

Glad to have been apart of it, even if I just stood there and nodded!

Table&Chair Brick Wall | RedKnight Quartermaster | World's friendliest Tormite | Average Book Enjoyer Luskan | Stutter Elf Archer | Pie Goddess' #1 Fan | Best Slave Luskan | Deadpanned Luskan |

Communication, the only thing that matters.

Nurel
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Nurel » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:00 am

The turnout was epic, to say the least!

Goes a long way to prove how patience and perserverance often yeild the most awesome rewards! Oak's regency lasted more than 2 whole ingame years during which his character evolved to fit the profile of a true leader, and to really become the bedrock on which the future of the settlement can be built.

It was a magnificent journey for everyone involved, the people of Brog and the Grotto, Dale, the knights Silvermane and also all our allies and friends spanning all across the surface of Arelith

These past few months leading up to the Coronation have really been full of excitement, anticipation and buzzing activity in the Halls. This ordeal has truly elevated everyone's game and I feel truly blessed my dwarf PCs got to be a part of it

Also, if you think being Regent is fun and games... Think again!
[bonus footage of the first Trial of Oak Vintergard, to brave Mourn in naught but his apron]
Last edited by Nurel on Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

helitron

Post by helitron » Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:50 pm

Top notch dwarf RP, as usual. Always big fun to dust off my old grumpy wild dwarf and join Brog for a few days.

Rolled characters:
William Bones; Durk Rotgrun; Hector Bartholomew; Rali Runehammer; Daris Blake; Nathaniel Silvers; Mordarok; Guy Silvers; Shayleth Shadowblood

Fireboy

Post by Fireboy » Sat Jun 11, 2022 7:35 am

It was fun to do another Coronation. I was happy when Oak agreed to use the old ways and traditions for his coronation. I hope he has a long and happy run as Thane of the Golden Halls of Brogendenstein. I will be rolling Doili soonish so they better get the traditions logged into the history of Brogendenstein. AXE's HIGH HAMMER's LOW

kirisin

Post by kirisin » Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:40 pm

It blew my mind to see how many people attended, and I've been honored to be involved even tangentially to anything with Brogendenstein. You are all some of my favourite roleplayers.
Abdiel

Out... Out of mine kitchen. Away with thee!