Ding Dong, the Stink is Gone

Praise and Honey Cookies from Players for Players, and Chocolate Cookies for the Devs

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Aradin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Ding Dong, the Stink is Gone

Post by Aradin » Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:41 am

I've long thought flaws are key to a compelling character. When I made Stink Spellworped, I posed to myself the following question.

What if I made a character that consisted solely of flaws?

Stink was greedy, selfish, arrogant, cowardly, miserly, rude, mean, never made friends, never said thanks, never gave a gift, was openly corrupt, stole from foes and allies, framed people for crimes they didn't commit, sold out allies to their enemies, beat up peasants, ransomed stolen goods for outrageous prices, didn't respect others but demanded respect for himself, and was overall just the worst person I could make him. He had no redeeming qualities. But, he was always smiling because - somehow - people liked him. It was baffling. What fun.

There's no specific catalyst for rolling Stink - sometimes it's just time to be done with a character. I had a quiet goal that if he ever reached 10 million gold it would be time to roll. And he did! So it seemed like the right time to abandon his responsibilities, blindside his fellow Andunorians, steal from them on the way out, and ditch the city for greener pastures.

- - -

Thank you to everyone who Stink interacted with during his time on Arelith. From a songbird in the navy to the city's resident showgob to Revelmaster of Greyport to Chief of the Worped Ones, Stink lived his life very publicly and put every part of himself on display...constantly. Hosting all of his events and seeing people having fun at them was a delight for me.

Particular thanks go to (and apologies if I miss ya):
  • The Andunor Navy / Red Tower family, whom I had never planned to interact with but ended up being an instrumental part of Stink's early life. Jhaamdath, Jack, Tiffa, Suleyvan, Lilith, Rias, Nev - all of you have a bevy of unique character quirks, but the thing that bound us is that we were all always up for having fun. We simply did a lot of things, and that really fleshed out how Stink would operate throughout the rest of his life. Thanks for your time and for the many laughs.
  • Greyport government(s): Kjara/Fara, Brynni, Norvog, Ulvorne, Senrae, Kasima. A couple different governments but fleeced by Stink just the same. It was fun to dance on the edge of being involved but really just trying to sap the treasury. Thanks for the interesting back-and-forth, and for supporting the Greyport street fights.
  • The Worped Ones! To have the goblins of the city spring together and get up to shenanigans was wonderful. My only real regret with Stink is that he won't be around for more capers, but when it's time for a character to go it's best not to hold on. Gruk, Nobby, Ugrak, Raez, Rosmo, Nux, and all the rest of ya - keep gobbing on.
  • Assorted mentions: Giselle, for our brief and too-few interactions that showcased just how good of a roleplayer you are and made me want to be better. DM Poppy, for your enthusiastic help with Stink's events - particularly Lord Aldahoon's Grand Ball. Chione, for letting a couple goblins be the Igor to your Frankenstein. The various surfacers each time Stink got himself captured; every imprisonment was fun and unique. And, finally, to everyone who haggled at a yardsale, battled in a street fight, participated in a game show, or attended a party - thank you for your enthusiasm! I hope I was able to make your days a bit more fun.
- - -

Stink might have said "Byez forever, slime-suckers!" but I'll be back after a break. Cheers until then.
Last edited by Aradin on Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Was Lloyd Grimm, Sai Aung-K'yi, Stink Spellworped, Ikarus, and Revyn the White.

MarkRed

Re: Ding Dong, the Stink is Gone

Post by MarkRed » Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:42 am

Aradin wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:41 am
He had no redeeming qualities.
I never saw most of what you've said, only the circus thingy and the furniture sales but Stink could sure pick that banjo thing! The brief moments my Drow Bard had with him learning songs is of the few pleasant experiences I've had in the underdark, he shall be missed!

Table&Chair Brick Wall | RedKnight Quartermaster | World's friendliest Tormite | Average Book Enjoyer Luskan | Stutter Elf Archer | Pie Goddess' #1 Fan | Best Slave Luskan | Deadpanned Luskan |

Communication, the only thing that matters.

Mike_mohawk

Post by Mike_mohawk » Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:17 am

Zilka wasn't as involved with Stink as she was with some of your previous toons. But even then I still gotta kudos you for just being an absolute bastion of good roleplay.

Kudos sir, kudos.

La Villa Strangiato

Post by La Villa Strangiato » Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:45 am

Senrae absolutely never trusted Stink, and entirely expected him to try and betray the government. But it's alright, because she pulled the wool over his eyes right back, in the end. ;)

Have a good one!
Senrae
Saraskyn
Kallava Okaide
Nemerarie Athol
Rio Salazar

Quidix
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Quidix » Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:27 am

What a character and I loved how you roleplayed him. Well done and best of luck whatever you do next.

Aeryeris

Post by Aeryeris » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:07 am

Stink is a very memorable character for me. Extremely cool spin on goblin RP. He ended up shaping the course of my character Aria very significantly, and put me on a trajectory I very much hadn't anticipated. Sad to see him go, but I'm absolutely sure your next character is going to be just as great and fun.
Currently playing: Ginny Fairlen

Painus

Post by Painus » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:55 am

cool character
Nylaathria Willowmoon - rolled
"Emryc" - rolled
Vigdis Odhinkarr - rolled
Callum D'Amico - banned

Baronze

Post by Baronze » Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:22 am

From beating up random surfacers at the ice roads with his rat-on-a-stick, playing gobbo-rock with his banjo on deck, to selling high quality furniture on the street, and finally running Greyport shows. Stink was a great character.

helitron

Post by helitron » Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:53 pm

Awesome character, awesome player! Thanks and respect! Looking forward to your new toon.

Rolled characters:
William Bones; Durk Rotgrun; Hector Bartholomew; Rali Runehammer; Daris Blake; Nathaniel Silvers; Mordarok; Guy Silvers; Shayleth Shadowblood

In Sorrow We Trust
Contributor
Contributor

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:04 pm

This is so sad. But also very understandable. I loved Stink and wish I had more chances to interact with you. You breathed a lot of life into the server using him, which isn't a surprise at all--you are truly a fantastic player. I hope you'll find a new concept that strikes you, and I know I'd love to play with you again. Thank you for your kind words. Stink will absolutely be missed.

Vittoria Veleno
catch me if you can

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:31 am

As always Aradin, your RP was amazing! Stink was one of those PCs my own wanted to strangle, but so connected and loved she never had a proper chance to try.

Which was a fun experience for me considering our last interactions on other toons. Conflict is never in short supply on Arelith, but fun and enjoyable rivalry is. That you for that, even if to a lesser degree.

IncorrigibleNev
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by IncorrigibleNev » Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:40 am

My goblin son! Stink was a delight and Nev enjoyed unfailingly backing him specifically because of all of his terrible trait. Stink was so brazen, you couldn't help but love it. And as for you Aradin, you're a wonderful player and I enjoyed all the conversations we all shared, thank you for that. I look forward to what you do next!

Svrtr
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Svrtr » Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:47 am

Stink was a greedy fickle arrogant PoS who couldn't be trusted

And I loved him for it. It was a great bit of banter being a duergar talking business and s*** with the one goblin who was worth talking to politically. From Ikarus to Stink I can't wait to meet your next character

WitchyEvil

Post by WitchyEvil » Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:27 am

Stink was the Goth Teenage Rebel Son of the Red Tower.

He fit into our highly dysfunctional family, because he was unapologetic in his worst traits and never felt shame indulging in such. And that, is something we all had in commonality among the miscreant cast of characters who gathered there. Thank you for all the fun and role-play and I wish we had hosted more things together.

My regret is that now we will never see Stink rise to the Goblin Yukuza Kingpin that he was always meant to be.

I know whatever comes next, you'll nail it.
Currently Playing
Lilith Vensurai

Jan Skorvo

Post by Jan Skorvo » Thu Jun 09, 2022 1:30 pm

Street fights were amazing, wish I attended more of them.

Cthuletta

Post by Cthuletta » Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:43 pm

Stiiiink! Best songgob, and so much fun to talk to and be around.
I loved all of the interactions he and Tiffa had, and hope for more in the future!!

Juniper Oakley - Just A Wee Bit Batty

Ny'aza 'Peggy' Philor'tyl - Travelling
Tiffa Took Hss'tafi - Happy in Sigil (Rolled)