Huge weapons

Praise and Honey Cookies from Players for Players, and Chocolate Cookies for the Devs

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Arienette
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Huge weapons

Post by Arienette » Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:05 pm

I got a Greater award just as the Huge weapon rollout was announced. I immediately made a Minotaur, which is something I have always wanted to try. This made the decision easy!

After a few days of wielding a puny Greatsword, the weapons recipes appeared on game. Moments later I’m rocking a Colossal Sword.

So incredibly cool on a fundamental level. Reminds me of when I was a kid and saw the first Star Wars prequel on opening day and Darth Maul engaged his double lightsaber lol.

So thank you to the folks who worked on this and made it happen! Extremely cool.

P.S.
Please don’t nerf the disarm bonus. Or if you do, reduce it by 1 or something, not eliminate it completely.

Scurvy Cur

Re: Huge weapons

Post by Scurvy Cur » Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:44 pm

Why would they nerf the ability to hit 62+ AB against any target using a shield as a huge weapon ranger?

Seems like needless worrying to me!

Arienette

Post by Arienette » Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:03 am

Well, if there is no Disarm bonus the Huge weapons just become a style choice.

A fun style choice but that seems like a bit of a shame.

Xerah

Post by Xerah » Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:05 am

Most of these things should be style choices, making them objectively better is why there are so many rapier/scimitar users

Certainly looking forward to medium characters using huge weapons one day!
Katernin Bersk, Chancellor of Divination; Kerri Amblecrown, Paladin of Milil; Xull'kacha Auvry'rae, Redcap Fey-pacted; Sadia yr Thuravya el Bhirax, Priestess of Umberlee; Lissa Whitehorn, Archmage of Artifice

Scurvy Cur

Post by Scurvy Cur » Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:07 am

Arienette wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:03 am
Well, if there is no Disarm bonus the Huge weapons just become a style choice.

A fun style choice but that seems like a bit of a shame.
It also gives large races the chance to properly 2h.

Right now, large race 2h is a pretty underwhelming option because you are stuck -twohanding, which gives damage but no +1 AB. Huge weapons would give +1 AB.

Seems like a reason enough to me.

Lewtzy

Post by Lewtzy » Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:36 am

Scurvy Cur wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:07 am
Right now, large race 2h is a pretty underwhelming option because you are stuck -twohanding, which gives damage but no +1 AB. Huge weapons would give +1 AB.
It already does afaik:
This is with a Nodachi on a Firbolg

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:07 am

Arienette wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:05 pm
After a few days of wielding a puny Greatsword, the weapons recipes appeared on game. Moments later I’m rocking a Colossal Sword.
Are the recipes in game? Did this actually happen? (I could be blind but I’ve been specifically looking for these and haven’t found them)

Arienette

Post by Arienette » Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:11 am

Dreams wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:07 am
Arienette wrote:
Are the recipes in game? Did this actually happen? (I could be blind but I’ve been specifically looking for these and haven’t found them)
They are! The recipes are under other weapon categories. Colossal sword is under Greatsword for example in the crafting menu

Arienette

Post by Arienette » Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:18 am

Xerah wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:05 am
Most of these things should be style choices, making them objectively better is why there are so many rapier/scimitar users

Certainly looking forward to medium characters using huge weapons one day!
I think it makes sense for one thing to be objectively better than another sometimes.

People using Small and Tiny weapons have to be aware that a 2hand user might be apt to use disarm on them. I don’t think, on its face there is something fundamentally wrong with medium weapon users to have to deal with the same possibility in the once in a blue moon event they run into a large enemy with a Huge weapon.

But I really did not mean to start a mechanical debate here!

No matter what happens it’s still an awesome addition to the game, and thanks again to the people who did it.

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:34 am

Arienette wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:11 am
Dreams wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:07 am
Arienette wrote:
They are! The recipes are under other weapon categories. Colossal sword is under Greatsword for example in the crafting menu
Thank you, I see it now, no announcement so I had no idea they were in!

dominantdrowess
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by dominantdrowess » Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:54 am

Disarm with a huge weapon = +4 AB vs. medium weapon users.

This combined with Ogres having +6 to STR is kind of a big deal in addition to the +1 2-handed AB.

+8 total AB over anybody with a medium weapon, completely dwarfing their shield AC.

I feel this will dramatically upset the meta; and may bring back the viability of two-handers inadvertently; but...

Admins will keep an eye on it I am sure.

I will never sleep

Post by I will never sleep » Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:10 am

For some reason I thought this thread was going to be about how most two handed weapons look absolutely ridiculous on female characters because of how big they are, model-wise.

Ork
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Ork » Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:58 am

dominantdrowess wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:54 am

This combined with Ogres having +6 to STR is kind of a big deal in addition to the +1 2-handed AB.

+8 total AB over anybody with a medium weapon, completely dwarfing their shield AC.

I feel this will dramatically upset the meta; and may bring back the viability of two-handers inadvertently; but...

not really a +8. Ogre gets +6 STR, but also a lot of other maluses to force them in sacrificing some STR in order to get DEX and INT for
weaponmaster, for example. All huge races also get a -1 AB for their size. This means that an Ogre will only get a +4 bonus AB when using improved disarm compared to a half-orc, orog, duergar, or earth genasi human.

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:56 pm

Aside from all of the mechanical stuff in the kudos thread, these DO look very cool. The runes on the swords cracked me up. :D

Kenji

Post by Kenji » Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:04 pm

Dreams wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:56 pm
The runes on the swords cracked me up. :D
What did they say?

Dreams

Post by Dreams » Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:28 pm

Kenji wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:04 pm
Dreams wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:56 pm
The runes on the swords cracked me up. :D
What did they say?
I don't want to ruin it for people, but when you see them: https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki ... c_language

SilverSnake
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by SilverSnake » Fri Jul 22, 2022 7:28 pm

Ork wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:58 am
dominantdrowess wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:54 am

not really a +8. Ogre gets +6 STR, but also a lot of other maluses to force them in sacrificing some STR in order to get DEX and INT for
weaponmaster, for example. All huge races also get a -1 AB for their size. This means that an Ogre will only get a +4 bonus AB when using improved disarm compared to a half-orc, orog, duergar, or earth genasi human.
Exactly that , what also should be mentioned is that they ARE +4 large weapons (Cyclone for example) while as far as i know they arent any +4 colossal weapons , that and also the fact there is no colossal falchion so your losing crit range. Actually for to previous point Saslae made Minotaur is a better example i think.

Kenji

Post by Kenji » Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:51 am

Y'all should start posting these in the feedback forums.

Also, good work on the Huge Weapons, Sweet Potato. Especially the awesome rune VFX. They're simply amazing on both aesthetics and technical accounts.

Scurvy Cur

Post by Scurvy Cur » Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:20 am

In fairness "Please don't nerf me" is a strange kudo to begin with. However, I would be happy to critique huge weapons in a feedback thread too.

That said, I also agree that having all the extra modelling work done is very nice. I'm distantly aware that getting weapon models and vfx for them is a pain. I love many of the new aesthetics that are possible, and the fact that each element has its own rune set is a cool cherry on top. Nicely done.