Duvain

Praise and Honey Cookies from Players for Players, and Chocolate Cookies for the Devs

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Nar is as Nar Does

Duvain

Post by Nar is as Nar Does » Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:01 pm

I very rarely give out Kudos. On some level, I think rare ones are more meaningful.

For anyone who has played in the underdark, Duvain has not only been a fixture in the underdark as THE ud elf, but also a legend that will join the ranks of those remembered for true story craft. Duvain was one of the best villains I've encountered. Evil elves exist, but the bar was raised repeatedly by Duvain in driving fear into the souls of everyone who knew them. While the story ended tragically as aprapos for all fine villains who make deals with Demons -- being dragged into the Abyss itself-- the ooc story is a different one entirely.

On an ooc level, the player was always reasonable even in the most difficult circumstances. They brought rp, battles, story, AMAZING SCREENSHOTS and other elements of the game to a new level. They did this while exibiting ooc grace in accepting consequences and calming the storm when ooc tensions were raised. They were genuinely cheerful and remain an example to me of how to be the antagonist without being antagonistic.

I wish the player well in their life endeavors and have been prepping myself for a month now for their departure from Arelith.

Thank you from Ushulu and a few other characters as well as Zylzayya, But mostly thank you from me.

Love you to the moon, my dear friend.

Hexgoblin

Re: Duvain

Post by Hexgoblin » Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:43 pm

Always a positive presence, both player and character ever since my very first encounter and on to present day. Ride strong and prosper, John. You were the best of us.

In Sorrow We Trust
Contributor
Contributor

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:47 pm

you'll be missed... :(

Vittoria Veleno
catch me if you can

Evianna

Post by Evianna » Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:19 pm

The time Duvain's player devoted to inclusivity and the opportunities they provided my and others' character(s) without knowing me speaks volumes to their dedication to the craft of storytelling. I'll remember the months I got to spend with them IC fondly.

OOCly one of the nicest people you could hope to meet. Arelith has lost a lot this week, but this one... man.

Thanks for the fun times.
you may remember me from such idiot characters as:

mystery

iyelle ixit'shii - waiting for her Death to come for her in Menzoberranzan
raimie mistmantle - sold into slavery
yukana ("malyss") - in a castle with her elf in kozakura

D4wN

Post by D4wN » Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:53 pm

I'm honestly grateful not only for the few times we've had in RP, but to call you my friend. Duvain always had such a presence and impact on people. You're a wonderful RPer and I wish you all the best!

Currently playing:
Thomas Castemont - Active

Liv McDowall - Shelved
Theodor Helbrecht - Rolled
Emma Young - Rolled
Ember Joyleaf-Underfoot - Rolled

With Darkness and Silence

Post by With Darkness and Silence » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:01 am

...Oh. Rip. You managed to shake Syn before you went. His grasp on things is shaky rn. I really, deeply enjoyed my one roleplay with Duvain. This is going to be a sad surprise for him. Poetry night will go unforgetten.

Hazard

Post by Hazard » Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:42 am

Someone wonderful sent me this screenshot of our last family gathering. The kool kidz.
<3 I loved all your characters, and RPing with you has been a blessing across all of them.

🥺👉👈

Skibbles
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Skibbles » Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:50 am

Bigly gonna miss Duvain even if I haven't interacted with them, as it happens, for a few years now. Very good memories and unique interactions, in the past, that just won't ever be repeated again. Good, unforgettable, stuff.
Irongron wrote: [...] the super-secret Arelith development roadmap is a post apocalyptic wasteland populated with competing tribes of hand-bombard wielding techno-giants, and strewn with the bones of long dead elves.

So we're very much on track.

dominantdrowess
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by dominantdrowess » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:26 am

Duvain's always been an essential part of Saslae's life and beliefs ever since Ezra Murann. Not just because of who Duvain is, but what Duvain represented to Saslae:

An elf, who was - to Saslae - a drow. Ruthless, murderous, and outcast to the Underdark the same way drow were, who fought even harder for the ability to live than most drow even had to. While Saslae wasn't always honest with Duvain, Duvain was important to Saslae as an almost religious figure - which has always been ironic, because of the incompatibilities of some of their principles.

The potential that elves could change and go from being the surface boogieman of her childhood and Lolthian stories to "drow-like" ... from something alien to something she could recognize and predict. Duvain is one of the few people Saslae would do (or say) almost anything to avoid killing (or being killed by!), a distinction shared by her with only a half-dozen characters in Andunor, who ironically, Duvain has often been in conflict with each of them herself - Duvain's wild nature has always been a balancing act for her.. but it's one that gave Saslae as she believes: The ability to "see" what (her drow-led) idea of "elven culture" could have been like before the Crown Wars.

Keeping sight of Duvain has always given her a religious zeal and hope for the future - a kind of redemption of the concepts she believes are 'drow-like' even if Duvain probably never understood that.

Duvain, as a whole is such an intriguing character with such a storied history..

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:06 pm

I never really played with them, but hearing of the loss of a good roleplayer is always a sad moment.

Tarkus the dog

Post by Tarkus the dog » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:50 am

always an optimist and never a shred of negativity

im still unsure how he'd get away with playing an elf in the ud but it was pretty spot on