Tomorrow's Baker

Praise and Honey Cookies from Players for Players, and Chocolate Cookies for the Devs

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

GaryFromAU

Tomorrow's Baker

Post by GaryFromAU » Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:27 pm

I'm not the one with the problem, okay? It's the world that seems to have a problem with me. People take one look at me and go "Arrrgh! Help! Run! A big stupid ugly ogre White Cloak!" [sighs, feeling sad] They judge me before they even know me. That's why I'm better off alone. - D.B.

My character, Daniel Baker, started as a youthful and foolish heretic who left Waterdeep in search of home, hearth, and purpose. In Arelith, he was able to find all these things, and so much more. From his progression as a Paladin of Ilmater to a stalwart and faithful member of the Church Militant to peacefully meeting his demise at the feet of Ilmater a few days ago. Accordingly, I'd like to thank everyone I can recall at this point in time who helped me out along the way and made an impact upon my character.

My first companions on the isle

Daniel Winters: Daniel's first friend on the isle and quite the slippery fellow, D&D went on a great deal of adventures together. Till one day he disappeared, never to be seen again.

Silas Mei'males: The second person Daniel met on the isle, together with Winters we went on a number of adventures together. Somewhere along the way we went our separate ways but I still treasure the time we got to spend together as a trio.

Argalak: I couldn't have asked for a better teacher in the way of the sword & board on the isle than Argalak. (I seriously cannot overstate how thankful I am to this player for patiently showing me the ropes)

Swemblespell & Swembleswash Fumbleblock: Never a dull moment with these two similarly incorrigible cyricists elves always managing to get into trouble everywhere they went, Daniel always made an effort to de-escalate the fights they would work their ways into.. But it didn't always pan out peacefully.

The Church Militant of Ilmater

Rillie Sauer: The first Ilmatari I met on the isle, a shining beacon of positivity and a bundle of joy to be around. P.S. Sorry about that adamantine helm, it's in the ether now.

Mikhail Whitlock: Daniel's bestest friend(Tyrran) we joined the militant around the same time and we were almost inseparable. I really think words alone cannot do our friendship justice so I attached this legendary moment below.

Jersh K. Holdstrong: Daniel's bestet-er friend(Tormtar), Jersh came along some time after Daniel had settled himself in the militant and though we butted heads on occasion Daniel could always count on Jersh to have his back.

Our final moments together were bitter sweet but the words you left Daniel gave him the courage and motivation to see his end through.

Zalmanral: If Argalak was Daniel's teacher then Zalmanral was Daniel's Professor. Together we braved the Abyss, the Shadow Plane, the Red Dragon Isle, Mourn.. Just about everything really, and then some. P.S. Sorry about guarding you that one time.. okay, it was a misinput

Eleanor Sauvignon: Daniel's rock, Thanks for everything.
"all good things come to an inevitable end, it is up to us to enjoy and appreciate these good times whilst we have them and remember them fondly. Before all these memories are lost.."

Gaderel Anjou: Behind the myth there was a man, a man who gladly took a wayward paladin under his wing. Gaderel was Daniel's spiritual mentor on the isle and almost like the father he never had. Though our time together was ultimately cut short he left more than enough lessons to last a lifetime.

Stick to what’s in front of you – idea, action, utterance.

Aesa Anjou: It's a shame we didn't get to hang out more, but I enjoyed the times we did, P.S. thanks for letting me snooze on the Anjou residence couch it was very comfortable.

Sly Lionheart: Out of the militant, Daniel probably spent the least time with Sly. But sometimes the smallest things can have the most impact, and that simple throwaway comment took up a lot of headroom.

Everyone else, in no particular order

Valentino: Though Daniel never did end up going to Myon, we had quite a lot of correspondence and it was always a joy to interact with the arch-mage himself.

Eddard: I will never forget that Orc.

Beruppi Quickfeet: Sorry I was so heavy!

Flamma: Thanks for the words of encouragement (Unfortunately I never did get that 5% bronzecalibur), I wanted to speak to you one last time but I couldn't quite get the time right.

Najih: We got off to a rocky start but Daniel grew to respect you immensely after the ransom incident. We didn't get to speak very much but i'm glad I got to witness the end of your story first-hand.

Hiram: An exemplary specimen of how-to-paladin, we didn't get to know each other for long but the advice you had given him when we first met at the fortress and your death had a long and lasting impact on Daniel.

Christian Kalloron: Another exemplary specimen of how-to-paladin and a phenomenal roleplayer. Lots of fun and memorable times were had hanging out with Kelemvor's strongest soldier. +I.T.T+
P.S. That Red Dragon crit into smite was one of the most legendary moments I have ever witnessed in my entire playtime on the server

Providence: With your pact breaking arc you really gave me the first opportunity to heavily lean into and roleplay out my oath, in turn creating several very important moments for Daniel. It felt only right in the end to return to where we started.

Esmaeel Vahdat: We didn't get to hang out nearly as much as I would have liked and I can't help but feel like I let you down in that respect but it was a difficult period of time both ICly and OOCly. The interactions we had though brief were of great significance, and played a heavy part in raising Daniel's spirits after the Militant's dissolution. +I.T.T+

Aera Springblossom: Thank you for the flower it meant a lot to Daniel.

Vled Rhiha: A meeting out of pure happenstance led to one of the funniest moments i've ever had playing on Arelith.

Corellia Aendoria: There are so many things I could say, so for the sake of brevity i'll keep it brief. Phenomenal roleplayer, thanks for everything.

Bonus Shoutout

Ilmater: Daniel's first love, there is a lot I could say about this guy. So I will keep it short, thanks for sticking with me to the end.

The Cordor Frontier Wagon facing the seaside: Daniels second love, Daniel's one refuge from the outside world. There was nothing more comforting than knowing that for the first time in his life he had a home to return to.

Last edited by GaryFromAU on Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Andras Wormwood - Chilling in Arabel
Daniel Baker - Mountaineering

gryggrstrkssontreelover

Re: Tomorrow's Baker

Post by gryggrstrkssontreelover » Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:31 pm

I enjoyed my interactions with Daniel Baker thoroughly, from understanding him as a benevolent and kind man to learning just a glimpse of the torment he was feeling internally. He was a great companion, one could ask for no more. You kept me playing Arelith for that much longer my brother, rest in peace to da greatest roleplayer who ever strode on the island.
- Mr. Treelover

Jeefer

Post by Jeefer » Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:08 pm

the most accurate group of ilmatari faithful,
many people missed out

grats on the major btw, deserved

FrickenChris

Post by FrickenChris » Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:10 pm

Thank you for the shout out man. Although I only met Daniel closer to his final days I really do appreciate that you let me have the opportunity to be a part of the closing story arc and ultimately helping Daniel feel content as he passed. It can be hard to do anything impactful when I'm playing such a slow burn long term character like Corellia. It's opened up and led to a lot of great role play that you don't get to see. So thank you and best of luck with your next character, I enjoyed it immensely as brief as it was.
Tarah Walvish - Rolled
Conni Ano'coda - Active
Souta Vanri - Active
Abi Niche - Rolled
Corellia Aendoria - Active

Salvari

Post by Salvari » Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:00 pm

Daniel Baker had an amazing journey. The character was amazingly human, he had faults, goals, hobbies, everything that makes a character grounded and beautiful. I'm glad so many people got to interact with him, but I wish even more were along for the ride. I know few others who structured their characters so well.

Love the way the kudos was built too, getting to see some memorable events.

Preserver
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Preserver » Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:31 pm

Thank you!
Interactions with Daniel were really enjoyable and I am glad that you felt the same.
It is unfortunate that I could not see him much -behind- the veil of the Ilmateri, save for that last interaction of ours, but it was worth it nevertheless.

I do hope that you will find a new character that you love RPing just as much and will return to build great stories together!

~ Lladria Sethassiel ~ (Dead!) - ~ Siobhan Gray (Departed!)
~ Elspeth Lynndain (Dead!) - Noasheel Xephrates (Dead!)
~ Yachta - ~ Providence (Dead!)

MegaJeff

Post by MegaJeff » Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:24 am

No doubt the best roleplayed Paladin on the server. Courageous, compassionate but still human at the end of the day.

Asutii

Post by Asutii » Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:30 pm

heroes get remembered, but legends never die

THE danny b will live on forever... :kneel:

make sure the angels get to taste the ilmeater

eddymakaveli

Post by eddymakaveli » Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:09 pm

Daniel was great, and saw Najih after the light had left his life

DefaultUser01

Post by DefaultUser01 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:39 pm

Such a good character man. May he rest in major heaven.