Last Sail & Kudos of Maríangel de la Toledino

Praise and Honey Cookies from Players for Players, and Chocolate Cookies for the Devs

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

mariangel

Last Sail & Kudos of Maríangel de la Toledino

Post by mariangel » Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:20 pm

Maríangel de la Toledino has passed and set sail beyond to another ocean.

This character has had truly a beautiful run, from a maudlin and stern-faced woman who'd click her heels to her superiors to becoming an irreverent, slightly loco and absolute storm of a personality.

My plans for her was first and foremost to explore the sailing mechanics people were talking so much about, and I was absolutely hooked after some sailing voyages that this was something worth exploring more. But it wasn't the mechanics (though it helped!) that kept me playing her for all this, it was the wonderful and absolutely stellar people and characters around her that followed her through this very personal character development that she went.

From finding love, friendship and crew - to struggling with literal ghosts of her past, trials and rival pirates and underdark sailors .... Maríangel's journey was as beautiful and bittersweet as was her end, but nothing of this would be possible if not for the great people around her and this will be an attempt to try to give kudos to some of them. If you are not included it is not because I hate you, so please forgive that.

So without further ado:

THE MERCHANT NAVY - Of course I will begin with the faction that propelled Marí's journey to the rank of captain. It is a faction she did not start and inherited by a group of really dedicated sailors and great roleplayers. There are going to be so many here to include that not everyone will make it, but everyone - brief or long - who have ever been in this faction and sailed with us, I am duly grateful.

Ayiesha Dahyarif: What a roleplayer, what a fantastic character and truly I am humbled with the time they spent and relationship they managed to grow together. Ayiesha as a character was there for Maríangel at just about every pivotal moment in her development and history, guiding her and helping her when she was at her lowest and being there for her highest. Ayiesha's player is a wonderful person who patiently taught me everything from inventory management to how not to die immediately in PVP so Mari could last least 5-10 seconds in a fight, which I count as a victory. Their moments together were always great: Having deep moments of baring their soul in dangerous places, doing wild pranks that included illusions of large sea-faring mammals or even as mundane as house-decorating. It was gut-wrenching and genuinely tearful to end Mariangel's journey in Ayiesha's arms, but also beautiful - absolutely a high point for me when it comes to making a roleplaying scene. It is safe to say for me that Ayiesha was instrumental in making Maríangel the character and leader of a navy that she was to the end - and for their (huge) part in Mari's story I am can not thank enough.

Elindros/Vesra: The founders of the Merchant Navy and the reason I, as a player but also Mari as a character. The over(right?)-sized elf and his shirtless antics was just the surface of a genuinely deep character who also had incredible knowledge and an interest to teach and let others learn the tricks of the sailing trade. Their first sail was not as success but that Maríangel came back for another sail was probably the best decision that was made during all of this. I regretfully never had too much chance to roleplay with Vesra, but from what I got it was stellar and the atlas she made tracking EVERY quadrant on the sea and their depth size speaks volume of the work they also put into it. All of this would not be possible without you two.

Pentunia: The chef, the heart of the Merchant Navy and the woman with a dysfunctional love life due largely to Mari's machinations (though she meant well!). A fantastic character and such a lovely player. I hope to see either Pentunia or another iteration in the time to come.

Old Crew: Sarek, Dax, Alison, Edd, etc: There was a bit of a passing of the torch when Mari came aboard and sadly our RP was often too short though Mari's hate towards Sarek and then grudging respect in the end was a great thing to play out. I regret having not the chance to RP with these as much as I'd like. But your work getting the Merchant where it was is not forgotten.

Kaedan: The great shirtless quartermaster and stoic figure of the Merchant Navy. While one would almost not think his personality and Mari's would click, they still got it to work and I like to think they developed a great, mutual friendship together. He is gone to the mainland but Mari's interaction with him was always a joy.

Lee (Ashlee): A great roleplayer and someone Mariangel thought the world about, seeing her grow from someone a bit neurotic to someone more confident in themselves and a great sailor. Every scene was a delight and cherished.

Zemys: A true brother of sort to Maríangel, sharing in their Amnian heritage but also having something of a past they each tried to grow out and away from. Sadly they never got to spend too much time together as they were often busy at their corner of the island when not sailing. But Zemys' as a character and the player behind has been absolutely stellar, especially grateful at how they helped facilitate during the last days of Marí's life.

Sili: Like an annoying (in good way!) little sister who Maríangel so often got riled up with their various arguments about phrases and idioms or just in general bickering, but always with an affection of an older silbling. Sili as a character can both be incredibly funny and yet still have those moments of deep sentiment and emotion (which I am sure will be denied).

Ilana / Vaelith: Fairly new additions to the Merchant Navy and I wish Maríangel could have had more time to RP with them as they were truly greats. From easy banter on ship, learning the ropes and making heart-shaped Sunite javelins to take the fight to the pirates. They breathed a lovely fresh breath of life in this ostentatiously Chaotic Good faction.

Juniper: The bashful little tiefling who I will always remember made the crew say 'Gracias oceano!' everytime they murdered a whale! A great and kind roleplayer as well as a wonderful addition to the Merchant Navy.

Tobold, Goethe, Anita, Arlo, Tasie, Arngrim, Sephran (King of Cordor!), Sariel, Nadiya, Gouf, Arvalie, Verny, Hissar, Orym, Ileolor, Gynnie, the pirate gang (Nyria, Azalkim, C.C & Aveline) and so many more!

THE PIRATES! YARR! Enemies of the sea, the great hunt for the Merchant Navy. I always adored and loved the idea that they kept their business to sea and not at land, even though not always so easy and especially not without some fair amount of taunting. Sadly there were many Mariangel would never meet at land or just see through the scope of her spyglass. But I still applaud and wish them many great sails and enjoyment out there. I will however give a shout-out to some who in particular made it on Mari's list.

Natasha Dryby: Maríangel's great nemesis at sea and a pirate she at first grudgingly respect but wanted to gut through with a blade but eventually, slowly, came to see as something as a frenemy. Their respect and Natasha's masterly sailing at the sea, evading the Merchant's attacks made it impossible for Mari to dislike her. She kept her legacy and was devastated of her disappearance. All my love to this player and character, creating truly a singular pirate character. An extra shout-out to some of her crew like Naijia who shared a beautiful moment aboard the Misfortune before their end.

Saul Mackerel: The Dreaded Pirate of the Dreadnought. Having sailed with him before she knew the scope of his abilities and never went to underestimate him. A behemoth of a swaggering brute but always with a smile, even if it didn't quite reach his eyes.

Veras: Maríangel could not help to see something of her own in Veras. They had the same fire, same thirst for a dance on the sea and his lively attitude was something she tried but could never begrudge him entirely for, even though he was inked. The player behind this deeply fleshed out and poignant character is amazing and I thoroughly have enjoyed all their interactions as well as the forum stories they've made.

Sinkman, Tilly, Brewsails, Katiya, Bonnie and more!

THE REST (In no particular order!) - Mari's life took her to so many avenues and places. To the bustling street of Cordor and then finding employment in Brogendenstein's Navy and after that finally settling her sea-legs in Guldorand and the Merchant Navy. Many people went in and out of her life and though I could impossibly name them all, I will try naming some!

Nerali: A surprise encounter early in Maríangel's life that was brief but still lingered and created such a branching way for Mari that I'm still not sure I can see all the ramifications from it to this day. Their entanglement was a wonderful bit of high drama RP and all my kudos to the player of this character.

Gabriel: A character who meant a lot to Mariangel, a spiritual guide and a friend in need when at the worst. He always believed in Mari's journey and was there when she was about to be executed and then some. The player behind this great character is a tour de force in storytelling, all my love to them.

Ginny: It was something special about their friendship, found gradually from the time she was part of Cordor's Navy and then enduring through trials and hardship. Seeing her grow and become the leading figure she is at the time of writing has been a pleasure to watch from the distance as both player and to Mariangel, albeit she'd never want to congratulate someone on icky politicking. Running a settlement is a daunting prospect and for that alone much deserved kudos, but Ginny is a multi-layered and truly interesting character so it is with thanks I got to interact so much with them.

Halder: Maríangel's first friend on the island and who would follow her through the island as they did their land writs and battle monsters of foes. One of the few friends she truly had in her stumbling steps upon the island and one she cherished dearly but sadly was too late to truly appreciate. He left the island to happier prospect but Maríangel never forgot her amigo Halder.

Lorenzo Ortega: A chance encounter sparked an unlikely and strange connection to two ex-Legionnaires who saw much the same horrors in far-away land. In many ways they were nothing alike, but the fact that they could build off of each other's background and garner a mutual respect and even a friendship of sort was something I always thought was really interesting and cool. There scenes together were few and far between but I always appreciated greatly the RP they had together.

Ezykial: Mari and Zeek has had such lovely scenes together. He was there in times of Mari's lowest point, but as well in many of their highlights. She had a caring affection for him and while much can be said about how things developed at the end, I appreciated all the poignant and flimsy times they spent together.

Derristan: There is something said about chance encounters and just appreciating the random timing of it all. Derristan and Mari met once by pure happenstance and from that one, singular scene, it made such an impression on her. Weeks and months went past but every here and there they would meet again (mostly by accident) and it gave a really interesting way to showcase the passage of time and how things have changed. Derristan as a character is truly one of the greats on Arelith and every scene was treasured.

Taggert: The dwarf who took Maríangel in while she served a navy in a place very strange to her. Helping her out and made her almost feel a part of a 'clan', something she always was truly grateful for. Mari carried that tunic he made with the little cute bear stitched inside the pocket to her dying day.

Aleksander: An unlikely friend and someone Marí came to appreciate as that during her time in Guldorand. An excellent roleplayer whose character I admire in making truly feel nuanced and alive.

DM Avalon Soul: The help Avalon gave in Mari's quest to fight her literal past has been an invaluable addition to the enjoyment and storyline that she had. Her trials and tribulations made manifest by this excellent and great DM is something I remain deeply thankful for to this day and I can only hope others are as fortunate as to receive this DMs help in telling their stories.

Action Replay: A huge kudos to AR for their work in building the ship mechanic that I feel is something unique and gives Arelith a leg to stand out above other RP servers that are out there. You can tell that this is a work of love and that it is made with great care and enjoyment in mind. Maríangel's story would be nothing without this part of the game.

I also give kudos to great and wonderful characters like Viveka, Alara, Arrnveceam, Hermes, Alros, Zachan Wiley, Rough Cut, Diego, Brauka, Thane Oak, Sinkman, Salasker Dusk, Griffy, Thomas Castemont, Sirica, Angela Amana, Oleander, Nastas, Varfogar, Olivia and many, many, many more. There has been so many who I have had the pleasure of roleplaying with as Maríangel and I am bound to have forgot some (or tons of them).

Named or not, I am grateful to everyone who has been a part to make Arelith the living world it is where a young Amnian sailor could grow from a morbid and sad ex-soldier to a slightly manic, wildcard of a thriving captain of the seas. So my greatest thanks goes to all of you and I am looking forward to meeting many of your characters IG some time soon!

<3

Yvesza

Re: Last Sail & Kudos of Maríangel de la Toledino

Post by Yvesza » Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:27 pm

Such a staggeringly good character to engage with, she'll be missed dearly. I hope that whatever comes next is just as influential on the world as Maríangel was, but maybe you've earned a little peace and quiet after this one.

DM Avalon Soul
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by DM Avalon Soul » Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:28 pm

It's sad to see Mariangel sail off into the distance but I can entirely understand. I look forward to see what comes next for you characterwise, for sure.
"How do you know the chosen ones? No greater love hath a man than he lay down his life for his brother. Not for millions, not for glory, not for fame; for one person, in the dark, where no one will ever know or see. " -- Sebaestian, Babylon 5

LichBait

Post by LichBait » Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:45 pm

I'm bad at words right now. But Mari was great. <3

Current
Ayiesha Dahyarif
Ilphaeryl Xun'viir

Cthuletta

Post by Cthuletta » Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:49 pm

There's so much to say about Mariangel. I've never seen a better captain for any sailing crew, how inclusive and fun she always was. She was for sure one of my favourite characters I've had the joy of interacting with, and I hope to get to play with you again soon!

Viva la Maríangel Inès Rafaela del Eduardo Silva y Ascención de la Toledino!!!!

Juniper Oakley - Just A Wee Bit Batty

Ny'aza 'Peggy' Philor'tyl - Travelling
Tiffa Took Hss'tafi - Happy in Sigil (Rolled)

Liareth
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Liareth » Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:51 pm

Marisaul de la Tortilla Sinkedman will live on forever in our memory.

Morgy
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by Morgy » Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:11 pm

One of the best written PCs to grace Arelith. I adored your style of writing and the character concept as a whole. Mari was a solid charisma 50, able to draw interest from seconds of knowing her.

She was a truly colourful, memorable and a unique painting in Arelith’s long history.

I am grateful you shared her with us.

LivelyParticle
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by LivelyParticle » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:14 pm

Sniff :(

I met Mari on several PCs - and to meet her on her deathbed with one who didn't know her was jarring. I really enjoyed your RP and I hope to encounter you in some form in the future!

Thanks for all the RP you've provided - and - for being such an inclusive and friendly RPer. Props to you and saludos, amigo, Mari!

Deep Fried Thinking Emoji

Post by Deep Fried Thinking Emoji » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:47 pm

Mariangel is one of the best characters I've had the luck to interact with in the server, even if we rarely got to meet while not on a ship. Being part of her journey has been a blast and I'm really thankful for all the interactions my char had with her.

I'm sure whatever character you bring into the world next will be as memorable as her because you are a great and engaging roleplayer. Make sure to dump a few ranks in sail, just in case ;)

D4wN

Post by D4wN » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:05 pm

The times I’ve played with you on Maria, I’ve noticed how incredibly welcoming and inclusive she’s been to the server and in particular the sailing system. I still remember one of my first interactions with Maria’s trial and not to mention the few times you took Thomas out sailing, helping him get over his aversion to it.

Maria will definitely leave a hole behind but also a legacy. Can’t wait to see what you do next.

Currently playing:
Thomas Castemont - Active

Liv McDowall - Shelved
Theodor Helbrecht - Rolled
Emma Young - Rolled
Ember Joyleaf-Underfoot - Rolled

Aeryeris

Post by Aeryeris » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:17 pm

Maríangel was a truly amazing character. There's so much to say, but I think I can sum it up like this: I'm going to miss her.

Good hunting Capítan, that there may be many storms to ride where you go.
Currently playing: Ginny Fairlen

DeepWebAssassin

Post by DeepWebAssassin » Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:50 pm

What a great character -- I really felt fortunate to have interacted with her both as a member of the crew on Sarek, and as an opposed pirate on Veras. They were two wildly different perspectives into the character and both of them were excellent. Mariangel was the type of force ingame that not only provides an excellent story herself but also consistently provides people a point to rally around to get their own stories going. Always willing to interact with anyone and very welcoming to people outside their circle, Mariangel was a really positive force to have around and will definitely be remembered.

Also, as adversaries, the Merchant Navy was always extremely responsible and great. They've got the manpower to really dominate things but still choose to allow conflicts to be resolved at a pace that is more fun for everyone involved and that speaks to both very chill players and also great player leadership. Their dedication to responsible conflict made them a lot of fun to engage with, even as the losing side, because it was easy to trust that no matter what happened it would be a cool encounter that was about a much deeper story than just expanding a head collection. Running into Mariangel and her crew definitely felt like clashing with a real legend at sea, and I'd do it again any day.

Currently Playing:
Veras Edrix
(Discord: narcopolo)

AsteraceaeOculus

Post by AsteraceaeOculus » Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:12 am

I'm so grateful Pentunia decided to befriend Mariangel on their first voyage together. Watching her come out of her shell and become such a legendary leader was incredible. There will never be another like Mariangel de la Toledino.

Sundial

Post by Sundial » Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:20 am

An excellent PC - played with such vulnerability and broad capacity of expression. Mariangel was the kind of hero who could have lingered for years and years, and given the Navy's inclusive attitude, continued to draw in new players and stories. But it takes a gifted storyteller to recognize the potential of a beautiful ending when it arrives. Cheers to you.

Ekrid Aulanther
Tashtego
Isak Kerringar
Huemacoatl

Malloney

Post by Malloney » Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:59 pm

RIP Mariangel, wish Nastas got to conspire with her some more but the few times they got together were great. I wish you good luck and good fun on the next go around!

SilverSnake
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by SilverSnake » Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:51 pm

Noooo! RIP! You only rped a bit with my HORC but it was AMAZING when you did!

Mike_mohawk

Post by Mike_mohawk » Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:49 am

The wild chaotic Captain touched a cord in the steely heart of a rigid noblewoman.

Stasya will never forget one of her firs Arelithian friends.

Tarsakh Skies

Post by Tarsakh Skies » Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:53 am

Purple!

--Cardz--

Post by --Cardz-- » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:31 am

I don't really use the forums much, save for simple keeping up with updates, but I think I'd be remiss to not join in the choir of voices championing how much life you brought to the world of Arelith during Mariangels story.

Mariangel truly was a paragon of RP and nuance for a lot of people, from simple interactions to deeper and more meaninggul storylines, she was an exemplary performance in a well thought out and emotionally invested character - with idiosyncrasies and details that only ever added to the ecosystem of Arelith as a whole. Thank you for being an incredibly engaging persona in the world we all enjoy - Mariangels enduring spirit and willingness to include many/all really shone through at times and I truly believe that she left Arelith a better place than she found it. I'm looking forward to seeing what you bring to the table next - but think Mariangel was truly, truly, one of the best characters i've had the pleasure of interacting with daily.

Brauka.

Quidix
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Quidix » Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:39 pm

Only got to interact a bit with Maria during Nahla's short arc, but it's one of my all-time favourite characters on Arelith. Well done, and I look forward to see what you have in store next.

Bebopcola2021

Post by Bebopcola2021 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:10 am

Willow pours one out for the Captain. I wish we could have gone on more fishing trips, my dear. Our condolences, from all of Silken Snows Trading Company.

Interium
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by Interium » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:39 pm

Such a lovely character and a great player.

Very creative and different from the norm, in the best of ways. I thoroughly enjoyed the roleplay we had, meeting the the ex-soldier and then, the next time, the sailor she became so known as.

Her ending hit right in the feels! Big kudos to you!

Drowble Oh Seven

Post by Drowble Oh Seven » Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:03 pm

Maríangel was wonderful, inclusive, and generally excellent to be around. I had a ball whenever I got to interact with her. Seeing her hunting down a moonblade as Amathwain was heartbreaking.