Re: Voice of the Mountain Arc

Praise and Honey Cookies from Players for Players, and Chocolate Cookies for the Devs

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Hragli

Re: Voice of the Mountain Arc

Post by Hragli » Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:51 am

An enormous thank you to everyone that brought the Voice of the Mountain plot to life.

DM Satyr, DM Honey; the "Fellowship" including Sedaene, Sazana, Alis, Calli, Kaetid, Kardus, Laurene, Jebediah, Osvaldir, and other members of the Brogendenstein Temple; the players of Brogendenstein, namely Oak and Naly, who graciously did not take my beard as longshanks of every sort roamed the halls for weeks on end; the various officials of settlements and factions that we constantly harried and pestered from Bendir, Myon, Cordor, Guldorand, Radiant Heart, Azure Quill, and more; and the various cast of characters that were wrapped up in the shenanigans, whose names are too many to reasonably list here.

After I noticed that Brogendenstein was getting some DM plot love, I wasn't sure if it was a one-off or the part of something that was already going on. So, I sent in a request to DM Satyr, whose story-telling I was impressed with during the first bit, with ideas on how to proceed from a player's perspective. I can surely say that what DM Satyr and DM Honey (and others, I'm told!) cooked up and the plot that they already had in mind was far beyond the scope of anything I suggested or even could have hoped for. The hours of prep, watching the PCs at work (a lot of watching us zig as you hoped we'd zag, I'm sure), and running the scenes don't go without recognition.

The two major battles were climatic and cinematic feeling and definitely pushed the engine to its limits, but not without some quick adaptation on the fly that made the event playable and enjoyable. I know that other DMs helped during this time, but I don't know who exactly. You folks are awesome.

Player side, I met a group of folks that were inclusive enough to let me in on the shenanigans and not regard me as some sort of interloper, a rare sort of sight in online communities at times. Folks all around allowed their characters to be struck with the magnitude and the cataclysmic stakes, invested and playing as characters rather than mere avatars in a seasonal event. It is neat to be able to play your character in a situation where everyone is on the same page about the stakes. I was so enthralled with the story that I was closing up shop early to make sure that I got home in time for the latest development.

After nearly two decades of online roleplay, you'd figure I'd be hard to impress. I think I speak for several folks when I say that this arc reminded me of what I hoped for when I bought the game to play Arelith, and somehow at once exceeded those expectations. Cheers all, and crack on!

Muses:
Snorri Wordsmith, Once and Future King - Too Old for This
Lourenço Malhinde, Pursuivant of Siamorphe - Tea with the King

Hragli Truesilver, the God-Meddled - To Erackinor
Elric van der Weald, the Knight of the Winter Court - A Profane Sacrifice

-XXX-

Re: Re: Voice of the Mountain Arc

Post by -XXX- » Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:11 pm

This was fun!

If Only

Post by If Only » Wed Oct 12, 2022 12:00 pm

Thanks for putting this together :)
Ex animo.

Edoras

Post by Edoras » Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:00 pm

It was a great event, glad that the Brogendenstein temple got an event :) Thank you and thanks to all the involved DMs!