Server History!

Praise and Honey Cookies from Players for Players, and Chocolate Cookies for the Devs

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Tathkar Eisgrim

Server History!

Post by Tathkar Eisgrim » Mon Jul 31, 2023 7:16 pm

I just want to give a huge kudos to all those players / characters involved in keeping Arelith's history recorded.

I have just chanced upon a historical record, referring to one of my earliest (if not first?) character on the server. I'm a bit thunderstruck. Wow.

To the player of Sasha Silverscales, 44 AR. Dayum.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Server History!

Post by The GrumpyCat » Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:03 am

The fact that we can now keep such histories, and the leangths people go to, can make some facinating rp! Big kudos

This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Waldo52

Post by Waldo52 » Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:28 am

Where do I find this history?

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:52 am

Waldo52 wrote: ↑
Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:28 am

Where do I find this history?

Alot can be found IG (written works and fixtures) and there is also a OOC timeline on the forums one can look at if curious.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=36181

LurkingShadow

Post by LurkingShadow » Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:53 pm

Storing of history is one of my hobbies (and my education) even if its IC, it s important. Storing it oocly in an digital archive would also be very nice. That OOC timeline is golden.

Chronicler0

Post by Chronicler0 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:42 am

Big Kudo's to Vaeryll the Book Princess.
Organising the Library and keeping/recording all the events of Myon!
If theres one person keeping the history of Arelith together and organised, its her! Especially the Elven history and lore.

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:13 am

Vaeryll does alot IG and OOC to record server lore. Much love for the πŸ”ͺ eared historian!

Peachoo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Peachoo » Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:29 pm

Edens_Fall wrote: ↑
Thu Aug 03, 2023 5:13 am

Vaeryll does alot IG and OOC to record server lore. Much love for the πŸ”ͺ eared historian!

Chronicler0 wrote: ↑
Wed Aug 02, 2023 7:42 am

Big Kudo's to Vaeryll the Book Princess.
Organising the Library and keeping/recording all the events of Myon!
If theres one person keeping the history of Arelith together and organised, its her! Especially the Elven history and lore.

omg yall are gonna make me cry. Ya'll are the best!!!

I'm not the only one though, the writing team as a whole is doing an amazing job as well! And some non-writing team peeps too like Minto's player! Kudos to everyone who enjoys keeping server lore, I love you guys!!!!

Peachoo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Peachoo » Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:32 pm

LurkingShadow wrote: ↑
Tue Aug 01, 2023 9:53 pm

Storing of history is one of my hobbies (and my education) even if its IC, it s important. Storing it oocly in an digital archive would also be very nice. That OOC timeline is golden.

Arelith Digital archive you say? Ooo let's compare!!! I'd love to see yours!!

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:54 pm

Peachoo wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:32 pm

This seems like a cool idea, but it does make some odd situations occur that need to be kept in mind.

For example many years ago I ran an event in which a group from Amn, headed by a Lady DeSilver, wanted to gather large amounts lf lumber fram the Skull Crag Mountains for their cities. The mountain druids protested. This resulted in the eradication of the Mountain druids,

I'm quite sure that a very cursary talk around In Game would paint a picture akin to:
'Why yes, the Evil Amnians attacked the innocent sweet druids, stripmining their mountain, doing terrible rituals to disempower them, before finally attacking, murdering them all to the very last individual!'

How I actually Ran uit:
The Amnians cut lots of trees down, but did attempt to replant as they went. However this enraged the mountain druids even more than usual, and they began raids and attacks on Guldorand. Peace talks were saught, but the closeest deal that could be gotten was peace, in return for the Amnians leaving, and a crucifixtion of three hundred of Guldorand's citizens. The chieftain was driven by fury and vengence, and almost all members of the tribe were evil Fury worshipers.
The Amnians and Guldorandians eventually worked together to perform four rituals that weakened druidic power on the mountain, allowing a force of Isle folk to attack the Druids stronghold on the mountain and defeating them entirely. Though during the attack the Druidic shamans nearly destroyed the entire mountains with their powerful rituals.
Lady Desilver, who was a lawful good paladin of Helm, spared the sick, old and very young druids, taking them in her boats back to Amn where she saw that they were all looked after and housed.
Nature on the mountain did stuffer a severe blow, and took many, many years to heal, but (by now I think?) it probably has

The aim of the plot was to do a story where the 'nature lovers' where the /bad/ guys, something you don't often see in media* and so which would challenge peoples preconceptions, and create an intersting story, and give people something to talk of. That worked at the time but, entirely understandably, did not carry through in IC narratives later on.

And this is fine!

Honestly, this is rather cool.

But whilst I fully support this as an /in character/ telling of the tale, I cannot support it ooc. Because it isn't what happened OOC. So in that sense, one would need to be a lot more careful how and what information was given on such an OOC platform, because people will use that information in ways that may not quite fit the lore.

*I'm in favour of environmentalism and such IRL of course. But this isn't about echoing real life, this is about telling compelling stories.

This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Amateur Hour

Post by Amateur Hour » Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:49 pm

I can think of at least one in-game book - that I have attended IC lectures regarding - that claim a particular individual was a palemaster/animator.

I happen to know they weren't. They were a pure druid build.

It's always funny every time I come across that book and have my characters believe every word of it.

Rolled: Solveigh Arnimayne, "Anna Locksley"
Shelved: Ninim Elario, Maethiel Tyireale'ala
Current: Ynge Redbeard, ???

LurkingShadow

Post by LurkingShadow » Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:34 am

I do not have one....yet, now you made me want to try and create one. But im so new to the server. The question is where to start, how to do this and if it should be in a IC or OOC shape.

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Sat Aug 05, 2023 2:52 am

Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:34 am

I do not have one....yet, now you made me want to try and create one. But im so new to the server. The question is where to start, how to do this and if it should be in a IC or OOC shape.

Just know if you go the OOC route the staff doesn't support any "official" timeline as stated by the Server's owner when I made the forum one. Anything IG or OOC would be a player effort alone.

That being said I did and still enjoy gathering lore OOC from players to record. Though, oddly enough, I have also received negative reactions as well. So there is a bit of good and bad to it all. Regardless it's a fun adventure, learning all the actions players have taken over the years.

PS - I am still looking for former members of the Church of All-Shadow to record their many exploits. (Shameless promotion)

LurkingShadow

Post by LurkingShadow » Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:59 pm

Sat Aug 05, 2023 2:52 am

Just know if you go the OOC route the staff doesn't support any "official" timeline as stated by the Server's owner when I made the forum one. Anything IG or OOC would be a player effort alone.

That being said I did and still enjoy gathering lore OOC from players to record. Though, oddly enough, I have also received negative reactions as well. So there is a bit of good and bad to it all. Regardless it's a fun adventure, learning all the actions players have taken over the years.

PS - I am still looking for former members of the Church of All-Shadow to record their many exploits. (Shameless promotion)

Of course, I understand that! If I ever get to doing this! I be sure to poke you about it!

Marsi

Post by Marsi » Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:44 am

The great thing about IC history and record-keeping is that it can itself be reacted to IC and inform future roleplay.

Why should the great bell of Beaulieu toll when the shadows were neither short nor long?

Peachoo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Peachoo » Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:29 pm

The GrumpyCat wrote: ↑
Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:54 pm

This seems like a cool idea, but it does make some odd situations occur that need to be kept in mind.

For example many years ago I ran an event in which a group from Amn, headed by a Lady DeSilver, wanted to gather large amounts lf lumber fram the Skull Crag Mountains for their cities. The mountain druids protested. This resulted in the eradication of the Mountain druids,

I'm quite sure that a very cursary talk around In Game would paint a picture akin to:
'Why yes, the Evil Amnians attacked the innocent sweet druids, stripmining their mountain, doing terrible rituals to disempower them, before finally attacking, murdering them all to the very last individual!'

How I actually Ran uit:
The Amnians cut lots of trees down, but did attempt to replant as they went. However this enraged the mountain druids even more than usual, and they began raids and attacks on Guldorand. Peace talks were saught, but the closeest deal that could be gotten was peace, in return for the Amnians leaving, and a crucifixtion of three hundred of Guldorand's citizens. The chieftain was driven by fury and vengence, and almost all members of the tribe were evil Fury worshipers.
The Amnians and Guldorandians eventually worked together to perform four rituals that weakened druidic power on the mountain, allowing a force of Isle folk to attack the Druids stronghold on the mountain and defeating them entirely. Though during the attack the Druidic shamans nearly destroyed the entire mountains with their powerful rituals.
Lady Desilver, who was a lawful good paladin of Helm, spared the sick, old and very young druids, taking them in her boats back to Amn where she saw that they were all looked after and housed.
Nature on the mountain did stuffer a severe blow, and took many, many years to heal, but (by now I think?) it probably has

The aim of the plot was to do a story where the 'nature lovers' where the /bad/ guys, something you don't often see in media* and so which would challenge peoples preconceptions, and create an intersting story, and give people something to talk of. That worked at the time but, entirely understandably, did not carry through in IC narratives later on.

And this is fine!

Honestly, this is rather cool.

But whilst I fully support this as an /in character/ telling of the tale, I cannot support it ooc. Because it isn't what happened OOC. So in that sense, one would need to be a lot more careful how and what information was given on such an OOC platform, because people will use that information in ways that may not quite fit the lore.

*I'm in favour of environmentalism and such IRL of course. But this isn't about echoing real life, this is about telling compelling stories.

At some point, I will attempt to gather an ooc 'lore bible', but thats far too much work right now for my plate.

My ooc book repository is only for:

A. having digital copies in case something happens and these books are lost on the server.
B. An offline place for me to use collect my IG books that I use for references for writing an ig book my character is writing. I have more than a few projects, and I dont want to login when I write new ig books.

Those are the only reasons I actually keep them offline. They're not used for IC purposes, though I only have books that are in my ic library in myon. I totally get what you're saying though, and agree wholely.

Peachoo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Peachoo » Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:44 pm

This is mostly because of what Grumpy said. Most of the 'lore references' that players have are from in game books that have 1 sided biasy, rather than for the dms or admins who actually ran the stories. I have come to learn that half of these books are either retconned (Sadly many Nelehein books are), or may contain lore that didn't happen in the Arelith AU (such as the silence of Lolth and some other shadovar stuff)

Basically, player side, you aren't able to get all sides of a story(Or sometimes even the full side that isn't learned by players), so any private project is going to inherently be filled with tons of biasy or even non-factual information- even if the player means well.

Edens_Fall
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Edens_Fall » Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:47 pm

Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:44 pm

This is mostly because of what Grumpy said. Most of the 'lore references' that players have are from in game books that have 1 sided biasy, rather than for the dms or admins who actually ran the stories. I have come to learn that half of these books are either retconned (Sadly many Nelehein books are), or may contain lore that didn't happen in the Arelith AU (such as the silence of Lolth and some other shadovar stuff)

Basically, player side, you aren't able to get all sides of a story(Or sometimes even the full side that isn't learned by players), so any private project is going to inherently be filled with tons of biasy or even non-factual information- even if the player means well.

Yeah, I figured that out the hard way. There are also some hardline opinions from part of the player base at even attempting to record lore OOC due to various reasons. Long-held OOC grudges, The one-sided nature of events when there is only one source of information to draw from, and some simply don't like what they did to even be known. etc. It's much less trouble to try and do it In-game.

Either way, I still enjoy the work for my own reasons as I am sure you do. I have simply learned to be better at the whole affair and have adjusted my approach from an overzealous Arelith lore buff to a part-time historian.

PS - I have enjoyed the few times we have worked together OOC on such endeavors. Always know you're welcome to chat and collaborate as time allows! I'm also looking forward to peaking at your archives if they are ever made OOC available. Far too difficult to try and reach the IG ones in Myon. :D

D4wN

Post by D4wN » Fri Aug 11, 2023 7:30 am

Coming across old fixtures with stories written on them is always a treat. And I love how devoted some people are in doing research on historical events, groups and people and then writing it down. It’s a lot of fun reading up on the history of Arelith.

Currently playing:
Thomas Castemont - Active

Liv McDowall - Shelved
Theodor Helbrecht - Rolled
Emma Young - Rolled
Ember Joyleaf-Underfoot - Rolled

Hanover Fiste

Post by Hanover Fiste » Sun Aug 13, 2023 1:31 am

Adriarna Dirtytoes (SteelsSweets) kept an amazing history of Bendir from the Fort days (before NWN EE) and on until she sniffle passed on. This history keeping continued via I believe a variety of connected Bendir toons (e.g., Merry, Minto, Maya, an Elf I cannot recall, and others [my apologies for not having the names]). Nonetheless, I too applaud those that have in the past and continue to enrich the RP experience by documenting IG via books the histories of settlements, events, and notable characters. BZ to them!