Good Fortunes, Good Hunts - Farewell from Rei_Jin

Praise and Honey Cookies from Players for Players, and Chocolate Cookies for the Devs

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Rei_Jin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Good Fortunes, Good Hunts - Farewell from Rei_Jin

Post by Rei_Jin » Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:34 pm

This is a difficult message for me to write, but it's the message I need to write.

After 4+ years, and more than 8000 hours of play, the time has come to say goodbye to Arelith.

And due to the fact that there's no good way to do this in-character, I'm not even going to try. There's no reason why my current character, Ner'enthis Shadowclaw, would leave behind his tribe, his House, his friends, his city, and to try to manufacture one would be extend the parting longer without any real sense of purpose to it. So, Ner died in his sleep from working too hard, and went on to be re-cycled as a Shadow Dragon, his ultimate goal as a kobold finally achieved.

Why am I leaving?

Two real reasons.

1. Health. In 2020 I had a hospital visit due to Covid, and then a relapse last year. I was recovering, then I moved house, and the effort of doing that saw me bedbound, again. I've not really recovered from that, and we're six months on now... there are days where I struggle to get out of bed at all, and even when I do leave the house, being out for more than 2 hours leaves me a cripple for days. Committing to play the role I have held in Arelith is not something I can meaningfully do any more. It's not that I do not wish to, but that I cannot. I've been sick now for two weeks, and I have to focus first on getting well, before I can consider anything else.

2. Family. I have four children who are growing up fast, and a wife who loves me, and with how little energy I have, and how hard I struggle to focus on anything (both due to my poor health)? They deserve the best of me, no matter what that looks like, and that means that I have to let go of things that are less important. As much as there are many folk in Arelith whom I am deeply fond of, and many things I enjoy doing, I cannot justify continuing to invest myself in this server and community. Not at the expense of my family.

Many who are close to me are aware of these things, and how I have been struggling, and have been trying their utmost to support me. You know who you are, and I want you to know how much I appreciate you, and all you have done.

I'm sorry that I couldn't see things through to the end.

I know that my leaving will leave a hole, and I wish I did not have move on.

To ensure that I do genuinely move on, I am going to quit Discord, uninstall NWN, etc. The desire in me to connect with and support those I care about here is too strong; I know myself well enough to know I love too deeply to stay away if I do not make a solid break.

I have sent gifts to those who Ner knew and cared for, and those who deserved it. All are IC gifts, don't worry about metagaming or rules breaches. Rich kobold gotta do something meaningful with that coin before disappearing forever. Consider it his last will and testament.

And now, for specific farewells

Groups/Communities
Shadowclaw - Best damn community in Arelith, bar none. You folks rock, and I only wish life were different, so I could stay and kobold with you forever.
House Spear-Singer - The A-Team, always up for whatever shenanigans Ner wanted to do, and keen to explore the world and tell stories. And unquestionably loyal and loving. We may be evil, but we're all heart.
Sencliff - Ner's second home, which I still wish could have been his first home. Stay salty!

Individuals
Waldo - The OG All-Watcher. Always supportive, always committed, always on the hunt for kobolds. And as a friend, you've always, always been there for me. I know the tribe will be in good claws under you, both IC and OOC.
Tripleseven - We've been through so much over the years, and we've always stood together. Couldn't have asked for a better major domo.
Frenkie - So many shenanigans, so much coin spent in the basin. Will miss you and your ever light-hearted chats.
Raidriar - I know I said I wouldn't leave, and I am sorry that I have to. But know that you are my friend, and I am glad to have known you. My life is better for having had you in it.
Sneksnek - Never knew I needed Malx, until I couldn't even think of doing what I did without him, and a friendship forged in the fires like ours was is not one I will ever forget.
DM Starfish - I don't have words for how much I have appreciated you. Thank you.

There are so many more folk that I would love to write messages for, but in truth, I don't have enough time and my brain cannot process the literally hundreds of people to whom I want to reach out to. Folk like the Red Tower crew, House Xun'viir, the Legion, the Erudite Arcanum, the Kraken's Teeth, the Raiding Rapscallions, the Dreadnought crew, House Reyer, the many spies, informants, handlers, and strategists that Ner worked with, as well as all his customers and clients, the district leaders... and that's just his friends and allies, not even touching on those who opposed him! Folks like Thomas Castemont and his people, the Rivorndirs, various sailing crews, various groups of dwarves and gnomes and elves, and some who even now remain unknown to me.

If you ever interacted meaningfully with Ner'enthis Shadowclaw, with Nadjia Sia Xuthra, or with Tom the Wand Merchant, then know that you have been a part of my life story, not just my character's stories. I will carry that with me always.

Know that if you read this, and you are grieving, that I no doubt loved you too. For, as another weird creature once said - "What is grief, if not love persevering?"

I will say goodbye and sign off with something I shared in-character just the other day with someone else.

Life and death are bought and sold with coin, but what is within you is precious beyond measure. Do not waste it on trinkets and baubles. Pursue what matters.

solar separation
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Location: Space Station 3 (Have you seen Carmen Miranda's ghost?)

Re: Good Fortunes, Good Hunts - Farewell from Rei_Jin

Post by solar separation » Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:47 pm

Rei, you're an awesome person and you will be incredibly missed - however, I'm glad you're doing this. Don't let what you have slip past you. I will miss occasionally seeing the Ner family photos in the Shadowclaw chat - the whole lot of you are still loved by Waldo and me.

I hope we can still have talks on theology sometime.

Friggin love ya dude.

Vaeldria

Post by Vaeldria » Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:52 pm

I wish you the best in life. Completely understand the decision and have nothing but respect for it.

Stalgren

Post by Stalgren » Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:11 am

Hey this is Kilikka's player. I'm really gonna miss playing with you, it was a lot of fun, and I can't thank you enough for how much you helped me and every other kobold. Kilikka is going to miss Ner a whole bunch. I hope things go well for you in your life, it won't be the same without you.

CptnCandyass

Post by CptnCandyass » Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:13 am

Shadow Dragon??

Kurtulmak would accept you as a second-in-command, friend.

I'll miss you, dude. Take care of yourself and your family to the best of your abilities. When you're doing much better, Raggix has dibs on marking you.

My best moments with you were always out at sea, friend. Bojangles and I will always be thinking about you.

move sailing functions to Skal, then delete cordor & planes

Cthuletta

Post by Cthuletta » Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:24 am

Ner was a fabulous character to get to know. RL comes first, but everyone is going to miss having you around!!
I hope everything in life goes well and you are able to recover and have more fun times with your family!

-Dotsski Kahza

Juniper Oakley - A Little Bitey

Ny'aza 'Peggy' Philor'tyl - Travelling
Tiffa Took Hss'tafi - Happy in Sigil

Old Lies Die Harder

Post by Old Lies Die Harder » Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:38 am

I myself am no stranger to having to leave for health. Here's hoping yours improves, so you can enjoy whatever adventures you end up embarking on in the future.

We only interacted briefly, and shallowly, through two or three layers of disguise and skulduggery, but Lydia greatly enjoyed the Sweet Warlock Pants you sold her.

More importantly, even as someone who did not see much of you, I could see the impact you had all the way from the surface. That's the mark of an important character. Your important character.

SilverSnake
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by SilverSnake » Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:00 am

The interactions i had with Ner were absolutely amazing. I do truly wish you good luck so that you may deal with whatever life throwed at you.

Grunf

Post by Grunf » Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:03 am

Great toon...but also great reason/decision to depart.

Enjoy your duty as a parent, in 10-15 years, we will all be here for some adventure like in the old days.

Cheers m8!

In Sorrow We Trust
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by In Sorrow We Trust » Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:25 am

you are absolutely awesome. I'll miss you

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Fri Nov 03, 2023 1:27 am

As reasosn for depart go, I can't think of any better - though I am still sad.

As someone who's had the pleasure and honour of both witnessing you as a DM, and also on the player side a little (only a little!) I wanted to pass on my farewells there. You were always a delight.

Arelith has a way of enduring too. If in a few years time, you are able to return - then we'll likely be here. And if you don't - then onto greater and better things!

For now I wish you nothing more than better health, and a many, many, many long and happy years with your folks.

It was a pleasure.

This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

Royal Blood

Post by Royal Blood » Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:23 am

I was so surprised! Good reasons to part, for sure. I am glad you got to be so involved. You wrote wonderfully and it was always interesting to encounter you in game and out of game. Your level of devotion really is epic.

To better and brighter days!

I am not on a team.
I do not win, I do not lose.
I tell a story, and when I'm lucky,
Play a part in the story you tell too.

Naghast

Post by Naghast » Fri Nov 03, 2023 2:46 am

I'll miss you.
Greatly.
Damnit i'll miss you a lot. I'm not even in mood for bad jokes.

Take care, friend.

A Mystery Clock

Post by A Mystery Clock » Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:03 am

The best kobold I've ever seen, played by an amazing person. You will be sorely missed, IG and OOC.

I will not at all be surprised to see Ner'enthis' legacy carry on alongside names like Va'sarra or Vippin.

And most of all, you have been the real G as a player and just made things better for pretty much everyone. As devastated as I am, it's absolutely the right choice. Take care of yourself, just let us know how you're doing, if only every once in a blue moon!

perseid

Post by perseid » Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:02 am

Echoing others, I'll miss Ner and you a great deal. You were an incredible rper and I've enjoyed ever time our characters had the opportunity to interact. I'm glad you're focusing on what matters though! So as bittersweet as it is I'm glad you're off to focus on more important things! Good luck out there.

Last edited by perseid on Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Geldahir

Post by Geldahir » Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:15 am

Im going to miss you Rei! Thanks for everything bud. Wish you all the best ❤️

sneksnek

Post by sneksnek » Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:14 am

You were a good and selfless person; you encouraged me to keep up my character despite all the odds and did what you could to support it. I coveted the moments Ner'enthis and Malx shared since they bounced off each other so well and I always looked forward to the next. It's sad to see you go, but you are making the right choice.

Ner'enthis will always be Malx's 'NUMBER ONE BOSS' in his heart. Cheers for all the good times.

Coolguy McMagic

Post by Coolguy McMagic » Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:49 am

It's hard imagining the Shadowclaws without you.
Kudos to all your hard work and dedication over the years, both IC and OOC. I know it wasn't always easy, especially given the circumstances. Thanks for sticking with it as long as you did. Arelith won't be the same without you.
Still, I 100% understand and respect your decision and fully support it.

I wish you all the best.

Disaster Lesbian

Post by Disaster Lesbian » Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:22 pm

Nadjia and Ner'enthis were both important staples to several of my characters, through all the times we interacted. You never failed to be supportive, and inclusive - and you listened. Whatever you put yourself towards, it was always a pleasure; be it through drama or relaxing times alike. You were a valued friend, both In Character and are a good friend Out of Character too.

It saddens me to see you leave, but cannot fault you for the reasons why you do. I wish you the best of luck, both in your recovery, and wish you the best experiences with your family, friend.

Player Of:
Veisha Calan - Active;
Vanna Orthae-Orseeva - Rolled; Has become a Human Shade
Liliana Elossa -Rolled; Fighting Fiends in Avernus
Szol Shadowclaw - Rolled; Gone to rend kneecaps
Sariah N'landroshien -Rolled; Has become one with the Hag

Aeryeris

Post by Aeryeris » Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:04 pm

Rei_Jin is an absolute staple of the community. It saddens me a great deal to see him depart.
I remember Nadjia very fondly, and loved my distant interactions with Ner'enthis.
But real life always comes first and it's strong to be able to make a decision like this.
I hope your health recovers, Rei_Jin.
<3

Currently playing: Ginny Fairlen

LichBait

Post by LichBait » Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:07 pm

Had good interactions with Nadjia with Ayiesha, and even though we didn't interact much on Ilphaeryl in the UD as Ner'enthis the name was a staple. Wishing you the best in your life endeavors and good health!

Current
Ayiesha Dahyarif
Ilphaeryl Xun'viir

A Digital Vagrant

Post by A Digital Vagrant » Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:05 pm

I'm gonna miss you, Rei_Jin!

I had wonderful times with you on Xune - I just wish we had longer.

Take it easy, and enjoy real life; not enough people remember that there's a life outside the game to savour and enjoy while we still have it. <3

D4wN

Post by D4wN » Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:09 pm

Awe, this genuinely gave me mixed feelings. Both sadness for losing a talented and inclusive RPer like you and genuine happiness for you to choose your own health and family over this. I will definitely miss Ner and you both!

Currently playing:
Thomas Castemont - Active

Liv McDowall - Shelved
Theodor Helbrecht - Rolled
Emma Young - Rolled
Ember Joyleaf-Underfoot - Rolled

QueenOfCookies

Post by QueenOfCookies » Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:37 pm

Ner'enthis will always have a special hole in my heart but you do need to do what is best for you and your family. You will always be my favorite evil little lizard.

A Mystery Clock

Post by A Mystery Clock » Fri Nov 03, 2023 4:43 pm

-- The following message is from Onyx' player (Not me, Clock!). I am posting on their behalf because they have technical trouble making a forum account, but still wish to contribute: --

Dear Rei_Jin,
I’m not going to tell how devastated I was about you leaving - you can see it for yourself if you listen to my discord messages.
But.
Family and health come first.
Knowing, what an amazing dad and husband you are, I can only say in the end it was a right thing to do.
I hope every day of your life will be happy and painless. Embrace joyful moments with your beloved ones!
If you ever decide to go back to discord, you should know that we are all waiting for you, no matter how long it might take, and we will be glad to communicate with you again.
Lyann, Irae, Briza, Raktus, Rug, Relonor, Glub and other players send you much love and will miss you too.

As for Ner’enthis,
You’ve made something more than just a community - you’ve created a family. House Spear-Singer will continue to exist, as Ner will live in our hearts and memories. And - who knows? - maybe one day we can meet him (or his other incarnation) again - Arelith is full of magic and surprises.