Memorials, those who came before us!

Praise and Honey Cookies from Players for Players, and Chocolate Cookies for the Devs

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

LurkingShadow

Memorials, those who came before us!

Post by LurkingShadow » Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:38 pm

Something I really love and brings out sentimental and nostalgic feelings in me is all those memorials, tombstones and beautiful relics placed to symbolize the love of people gone, often for years on Arelith, That player characters themself can create and place.

This along side with the odd places you can find here and there with the mark of those before, small caverns with furniture, an old sign in some far off corner in a settlement or just someones notebook left in a abandoned home. This is, the word escapes me for now but this is a scenic and very interesting thing to see on the server. It feels lived in and I just love to find that tombstone out in nowhere.

The sorrow in the chiseled writing left by the mourning individual, missing their lover, friend, sibling, comrade in arms or whatever it might be. It all makes me think and ponder, who where these people? What did they do? What happended? What struggles did they meet on Arelith? Where are they now? Those who lived to make this memorial or little place of joy or sorrow? What joys did they find? Who did they walk Arelith with? They left their mark and will be remembered.

I simply love it, kudos to those that came before and left their footprint upon the land (and the server).

Its wonderful.

And Spring Became the Summer

Re: Memorials, those who came before us!

Post by And Spring Became the Summer » Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:52 pm

Agreed. Just yesterday, my Sunite PC happened upon a headstone in a remote location, and the final line was about the person now being in Sune's embrace. It was a poignant moment and sparked some RP.

LurkingShadow

Post by LurkingShadow » Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:09 pm

And Spring Became the Summer wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:52 pm

Agreed. Just yesterday, my Sunite PC happened upon a headstone in a remote location, and the final line was about the person now being in Sune's embrace. It was a poignant moment and sparked some RP.

Thats what I mean! Exactly such experiences that we can run into! It is beautiful.

Cthuletta

Post by Cthuletta » Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:29 pm

Agreed! I love seeing stuff like this. Headstones, forgotten shrines, old paintings, and lately I've come across books while re-organizing a library that were dated as far back as '33 AR'. My character even made a comment of 'I wasn't even ALIVE yet.' It's so cool to see stuff like that! It makes me wonder, are those players still around? What kind of stuff did they see back then? How was the game different? It gives me a wee lil' peek into that time.
It's really cool. Keep doin' it, folks!

Juniper Oakley - A Little Bitey

Ny'aza 'Peggy' Philor'tyl - Travelling
Tiffa Took Hss'tafi - Happy in Sigil

LurkingShadow

Post by LurkingShadow » Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:46 pm

Cthuletta wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:29 pm

Agreed! I love seeing stuff like this. Headstones, forgotten shrines, old paintings, and lately I've come across books while re-organizing a library that were dated as far back as '33 AR'. My character even made a comment of 'I wasn't even ALIVE yet.' It's so cool to see stuff like that! It makes me wonder, are those players still around? What kind of stuff did they see back then? How was the game different? It gives me a wee lil' peek into that time.
It's really cool. Keep doin' it, folks!

Hehe! Yeah!

I was there, ten thousand years ago on Amia myself, back in 2004...I still wonder if there is something I left there circling about. Sadly there was no placeables on Amia like there is on Arelith.

Wow! 33 AR! How many IRL years was that? Thats crazy really! 182 AR now! I was a bit giddy over seeing stuff rom like 169 AR I think!

Arelith to me is NWN 1,5 or NWN 2.0 in the Aurora Engine. It just pushed the game so far its basically an classic old sequel like Fallout 1 to Fallout 2.

But I love seeing these things. I need to go explore more. Maybe even do some chronicling of it all.