Kudos to the Playah's!

Praise and Honey Cookies from Players for Players, and Chocolate Cookies for the Devs

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Artos13
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Kudos to the Playah's!

Post by Artos13 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:28 pm

Alright, so the last few nights I've been taking the time to actually play this crazy game we've got here. I have to say, without getting into individuals, I want to make a general kudos to the entire playerbase. Here's why:

• I surprisingly have lots of questions about how things work now (as a player). Sending anonymous tells to players has yielded 100% success in answering my questions and I've found all players to be not only very helpful, but also very kind and welcoming and nice.

• Making the world come ALIVE! I've been wandering all around and have seen lots of very creative fixture descriptions and setups all over the place. From statues of deities to dedications to heroes past, and all the paintings everywhere depicting game events from the older days, I love it all (well almost all, read below). It's great stuff!

Here's my one gripe though, and it might not be fun to read: I've also seen a bunch of fixtures that if I were on as a DM, I would have nuked.

Just as a head's up: If I've put a descriptive trigger text next to something, like the shack in the Arelith Forest West near the termites that states: "This shack is beyond repair..." it doesn't make much sense to put a dozen fixtures around it stating how it's not a shack that is beyond repair, but in fact a construction zone. I'm gonna blow things up like this, because its in direct conflict with something in-game.

Also something to be careful of: Building your temple in a monster lair. I see lots of dwarven pantheon statues everywhere, and I admire the work put in, but why are there a bunch in places that monsters lair in? I'll likely also blow things up like this too, as that's what the monsters would do if they woke up in their homes and saw the dwarven pantheon in their faces.

Anyways, sorry to get negative in a kudos post. It's meant more as a cautionary tale. Still, I've been having an absolute blast the last few nights playing, and I've been impressed with the great RP I've stumbled into all over the place. You guys rock!
Last edited by Artos13 on Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Kudos to the Playah's!

Post by The Rambling Midget » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:36 pm

Artos is coming!

Run!

The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:37 pm

(Like!)

Artos having time to play again?! What is the world coming to...
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

Drake Strongfist

Post by Drake Strongfist » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:13 pm

Yeah that one place with the dwarf Pantheon also has a side section where a character I used to play set up a camp. She would stay there and "protect" the "holy site" and clean up after the monsters and all that. So at least for that bit there used to be rp supporting the fixtures being there and all that but I completely agree with you. I tend to be of the mindset that too much of a good thing is still too much. Often I find the areas where fixture items are used to mimic this or that just looks cluttered and yucky. Anyway we dorfs got an actual temple now so go ahead and nuke it.....*nostalgia sets in*..Man I'll miss that camp, even if it is cluttered and yucky heh.

Cuchilla
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Cuchilla » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:02 pm

Sometimes I see fixtures put up, and get this feeling: Yes, it maybe pleases the players who set them up, and a few more. But: How many players get their fun ruined, passing those some fixtures?

It's a delicate question, which should be handled carefully by players. I have no doubt that most players put up fixtures to enrich the world, and not ill-intented. But sometimes, they just don't fit in.

Aloise "Lois", Biarray "Ray", Uniethrade. INACTIVE: Ivory Bushdiggger DEAD: Cuchilla. Beliat, Clyasy. Cristyn. Fadriatta. Fraya Stensamler (Chief Librarian). Goirin. Greensleeves. Gwydynya. Hilda. Kaxandra. Trista. Willisa.

LittleWeasel
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by LittleWeasel » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:27 pm

I don't mind fixtures. I mind if they just say:

Fixture: Bench. Standard description.

We have such a wonderful customization feature. Would love to see it used more :)
Don't take Life too seriously - you'll never get out of it alive...
Mind over Matter... now that I don't have a mind, it doesn't matter...
Ware the Wrath of the Weasel:
*nibble*
*cluck*

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:30 pm

*stares at Fixture: Bench*

"I have the strangest feeling that if I put forty of these close together, they'll begin to disappear. But it never happens unless there are sixty. It must be the work of demons!"
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Tashalar

Post by Tashalar » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:33 pm

LittleWeasel wrote:I don't mind fixtures. I mind if they just say:

We have such a wonderful customization feature. Would love to see it used more :)
*Plans a Strength Based Character with an Enchantment Basin.*
#2: Archmage Swift's Spellduel Rules
#3: "But I'm An Abjurer, I Can't Conjure!"
#4: This Spellbook Is Fire
#5: Think For Once, Archmage Amana
#6: Cor, What A Stunner
#8: Sigermane Special
#9: What Is This, Cordor In The Fifties?

Nekonecro

Post by Nekonecro » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:11 pm

Very occasionally when I see fixtures like this I steal them, take them to get enchanted and write up a little something before putting it back. However I try to keep to the 24 hour rule on stealing when it comes to this.

Actually I wonder if stealing an undescribed fixture, describing it and putting it back counts under that rule but it's better to play it safe.

DM_Ironfist

Post by DM_Ironfist » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:39 pm

But I love my 'Bench' - This appears to be a Bench. Fixtures. Darn you playerbase.

Now. If anyone can point out which player Artos is, I have to throw lots of Golems at him.

Artos13
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Artos13 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:21 pm

I don't want people to feel like every bench and chair has to have an epic bio on it either.

I just want people to understand that placeables are what they are (or should be close). Message boards are not scaffolding, chairs are not catapults, etc.

Still, I see the vast majority of placeables as being just fine, and thus the kudos!

LittleWeasel
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by LittleWeasel » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:49 pm

;) I was half kidding,.. A bench doesn't have to have an epic bio. But the fixture tag I alwaydls stumble over ;) but don't mind me. I'm just a zealot :P

But you are right! Overall, tbere is no world, no playerbase, no staff team more immersive and magical than Arelith! Couldn't wish for a better place to spend my spare time with :)
Don't take Life too seriously - you'll never get out of it alive...
Mind over Matter... now that I don't have a mind, it doesn't matter...
Ware the Wrath of the Weasel:
*nibble*
*cluck*

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Post by Irongron » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:29 pm

I too am often amazed by the quality of the role-players.

That being said excessive fixtures do irk me a little, especially in hostile areas. One thing I have been doing in the UD is removing/reducing wild animal spawns in areas where PCs have placed a lot of fixtures, especially fires, as this would naturally lead to the animals steering clear of those places.

Hopefully this will encourage more 'nature' PCs to take a hand by discouraging the 'urbanization' of wilderness areas, unless of course it's they actually want to see these empty map areas.

Tashalar

Post by Tashalar » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:27 am

LittleWeasel wrote:;) I was half kidding,.. A bench doesn't have to have an epic bio. But the fixture tag I alwaydls stumble over ;) but don't mind me. I'm just a zealot :P
*Waves the Description Zealotry League flag!*

triaddraykin
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by triaddraykin » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:36 pm

Tashalar wrote:

*Plans a Strength Based Character with an Enchantment Basin.*
You know ANY crafting station will perform this without having to carry a half-ton basin, right? Just a tip to help this become reality!
Alia: The uncanny knack of Angela Amana to make the otherwise perpetually well-mannered girl lose her temper and be HORRIBLY ASHAMED afterwards.

Who on the Team to PM and When
Public Tower Discord
Tower Library
Scroll, Wand, & Potion Costs

Tashalar

Post by Tashalar » Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:42 pm

Ooh. Don't need the right workstation for the right-aha~.