Kudos to NWN

Praise and Honey Cookies from Players for Players, and Chocolate Cookies for the Devs

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

Valo65

Kudos to NWN

Post by Valo65 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:43 pm

Kudos to NWN, the game's developers, the community, the server hosts and their staff, etc.

It's been what, 11 years? The Master Server has been down for years, the NWVault went down fairly recently (much to my dismay), and the main servers (Arelith, Amia?, Ravenloft, Escape from Uncertainty, City of Arabel... I think Sinfar is still a thing?) are still going strong.

It goes to show that giving players this degree of power to make and customize their own world and game is the thing to do. Every now and then I still see people who are completely new to NWN.

NWN was a major influence on myself, in particular. I spent a lot of time as a kid (more than was healthy) RP'ing with you guys and on other servers. All that time doing creative writing did wonders for my writing ability, making my high school and more lately college English classes a piece of cake (I have a 103% in my current English class).

It's also consistently been the only game I can stomach for very long. While I'm sure some of you have noticed I get a little irritable when I see city druids and faithless paladins because of my own perspective on those classes, among others, NWN RP'ers are the best RP'ers I've found among any community, which I can only attribute to our openness to PvP, permadeath (more so on servers like EfU than Arelith) and maintaining a more "realistic fantasy." Going from here to trying to RP on an MMO, or worse, some game like Garry's Mod, makes me feel like the only adult among a class of kindergarteners... though that might not be too much a stretch from the reality.
No one expects the Elvish Inquisition!

Artos13
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Re: Kudos to NWN

Post by Artos13 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:10 am

Amen, brother! I'm also obviously a huge fan of NWN. The longevity of the game, the brilliance in it's accessibility to the modder, and definitely the community of players and builders and DMs astounds me to no end. The only other games I've consistently played during NWN's life are the Civ series and Elder Scrolls. I always keep coming back to NWN though.

Marsi

Post by Marsi » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:33 am

Still struggle to get through my head that we hit basically the same peak numbers as 2009 (114~ a few months ago).

Why should the great bell of Beaulieu toll when the shadows were neither short nor long?

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:03 pm

Indeed. Brilliant way to say all what we, as community share, Valo65!

I went myself looking for other games when I though NWN was dying after the NWN2 release (big error XD) and when I realized NWN was alive with RP solide servers I saw a bit of Heaven at touch of my hands!

All my thanks to everyone of you making this posible.
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

DaTexican

Post by DaTexican » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:18 pm

It goes to show that giving players this degree of power to make and customize their own world and game is the thing to do.
Yup. Look at mine craft, halo, ext. Any game that give you the creative freedom to change the game to your liking will succeed if it has a good base.
Be Prepared