Short Story Blog

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead

Short Story Blog

Post by Irongron » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:46 pm

Possibly a bit embarrassing, but over the years I've written a lot of short stories, and never done anything with them, other than leaving them to die on discarded hard drives.

So I decided I'd start a blog, and have them put online.

https://medium.com/@danielmorris_69831/ ... 34410d348a

I'll probably add one every couple of weeks until I get too self-conscious and delete the whole thing again.

thimblegiant
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Re: Short Story Blog

Post by thimblegiant » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:18 am

Well done - kept me interested through the end and thought provoking as well. I really appreciate art that is open to personal interpretation, whatever form that may be.

Now go submit it to Amazing Stories -

Hoodoo
General Admin
General Admin

Post by Hoodoo » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:58 pm

I already told Irongron what I loved about it, but if you like hopelessness, BEAUTIFUL LANGUAGE, and an awesome premise. I HIGHLY recommend reading this!

Queen Titania
Community Manager
Community Manager

Post by Queen Titania » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:10 pm

This brought me back to my University 4000 level creative writing classes, definitely a treat to read.
Please don't feed my sister.

Poolbrain
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Poolbrain » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:00 pm

Yeah you shouldn't be modest. Nice short story. I thought first it was going to be a punch at the meat industry, it was interesting to see where the story ended up.

Opustus

Post by Opustus » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:11 pm

Nice! I'm a sucker for scifi with a sympathetic voice. I also like very prosaic and plain description that doesn't overly puzzle the reader, and the story left me puzzled in places, but I think it provided a nice build-up to the vernacular dialogue and made sense structurally. I'd still recommend using complexity very sparingly, but so much in reading is up to taste. The writing felt rather personal, so you ought to be very embarrassed, but that was also what I liked most about it. Kudos for being brave and sharing! It's good writing. If you feel like being a stickler, I can point out some typos I caught (e.g. its v. it's), but that's totally unnecessary as they don't affect how the story reads at all. Sorry for bringing that up, actually, but I'd want my stories proofread so this is me looking out.

I hope Eddie didn't burn up yet and we get to read more of him.
Characters: all poor babies suffering from neglect

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:48 pm

Opustus wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:11 pm
Nice! I'm a sucker for scifi with a sympathetic voice. I also like very prosaic and plain description that doesn't overly puzzle the reader, and the story left me puzzled in places, but I think it provided a nice build-up to the vernacular dialogue and made sense structurally. I'd still recommend using complexity very sparingly, but so much in reading is up to taste. The writing felt rather personal, so you ought to be very embarrassed, but that was also what I liked most about it. Kudos for being brave and sharing! It's good writing. If you feel like being a stickler, I can point out some typos I caught (e.g. its v. it's), but that's totally unnecessary as they don't affect how the story reads at all. Sorry for bringing that up, actually, but I'd want my stories proofread so this is me looking out.

I hope Eddie didn't burn up yet and we get to read more of him.
Thanks for the feedback, and yes, I noticed some errors too, and no, it wasn't at all personal! I think one of the greatest pieces of praise I had when studying was after writing a story about divorce - in conversation with one of my professors (himself a novelist), he started talking sympathetically to me about how hard it must have been getting married and divorced at such a young age...I had to then explain that no, I had never actually been married (or divorced), and writing about the just based upon my impression of what a divorce court was probably like.

I think it was the highest mark I've ever received.

The embarrassment that comes with sharing stories really comes from just putting them out there, it's very different from writing for Arelith. The next one I'll add couldn't be more different, an illustrated chidren's story - but not for another couple of weeks! (I'm far too busy with Arelith)

Irongron

Post by Irongron » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:06 pm

Total change of pace there, I've added an illustrated children's story. It's not the best quality on that site, so apologies if it is hard to read.

https://medium.com/@danielmorris_69831/ ... b1db4dc1d5

Anime Sword Fighter

Post by Anime Sword Fighter » Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:08 am

i love this story but it's so cutesy-sad it makes me mad!