The Creature, immersive audio play

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

DM Symphony
Contributor
Contributor

The Creature, immersive audio play

Post by DM Symphony » Sat May 22, 2021 11:10 pm

Hey folks,

I haven't been as active in NWNSpace and Discord etc. recently, due to salvaging what started as a small side theater gig into a professional product.

I am primarily a sound and lighting designer/operator in teh rl, so the recent world events have been pretty devastating for the live performances my circles usually rely on for livelihood.

To that end a small theater company run primarily by a younger age group approached me last year with the idea of making an immersive audio drama using a local script based on Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. Since in teh rl, for some people, my name comes up whenever weird/sophisticated sound/music is needed, I joined the project to handle recording voiceover during zoom meetings.

We had California fire evacuations and network outages and health issues come up, and some complications with the composer and sound designer, roles I had turned down due to my new NWN:EE / Beamdog / Graphics / Models / etc. life, and we ended up temporarily scrapping the project after we finished recording and paying the actors.

Recently, I accepted their suggestion to handle music and sound effects etc, and started composing for the first time in my career, really, a few weeks ago.

It has been very difficult, most of the people involved are perfectionists, and given the absence of live staged drama available right now, we are determined to deliver a quality art effort to a broad audience without a ticket price, to be enjoyed in an auditorium of your choosing.

There is a heavy emphasis on immersive ambients and sound effects, binaural imaging, and dynamic orchestral instruments that are deeply intertwined with the delivery of nearly every line.

We have 4 episodes up so far, episodes are released weekly, though episode 5 is delayed until May 31st. There will be 9 episodes total.

This free show is an expensive experiment. We are trying to see what is and isn't possible, and what the world does and doesn't enjoy. I know you guys happen to be into immersive storytelling, so, if you enjoy it, signs that you enjoy it are a good idea. Shares, likes, etc. If nobody cares, this company will never do anything like this ever again.

This is a very small team with limited experience and almost no budget, you could compare it to some casual Arelith players getting together and wanting to make an Arelith movie.

Here is our web page:
https://dragonproductions.net/creature/
Spotify, Youtube, Soundcloud and Apple Podcast links for each episode are there.
For some reason the page takes a while to load entirely, we're looking into why.

Here is a playlist I've made of all episodes so far, in sequence:
https://soundcloud.com/user-383345330/sets/the-creature

Here is a flattering press release before the series premiere episode, that details parts of the process and backstory:
https://www.paloaltoonline.com/news/202 ... ck-to-life

This is a live product, I am currently writing the sounds and music for episode 5, and if you feel like criticizing me in a way that could improve the rest of the episodes, feel free to do so here, or in private.

I've also offered the cast members each $60 for me to record, format, and publish functioning Creature soundsets for Neverwinter Nights, which I could put on the Vault for everyone's use. Obviously I do not want names or other anachronistic elements involved. However, we've all been too busy so far to make that happen. Stay tuned there.

Myles Magnus
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: The Creature, immersive audio play

Post by Myles Magnus » Sun May 23, 2021 4:27 am

The quality is really impressive! It's really an immersive experience to just close your eyes and listen to these!
"It ain't easy being green." -Gur'Durak

Curve

Re: The Creature, immersive audio play

Post by Curve » Sun May 23, 2021 12:41 pm

This is cool. I’ll listen as soon as I can. I ran/owned a small diy community theater that we had to close the doors to because of the last year. It is nice to see people going at things in new ways and pushing to keep making stuff. Good job.