Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

The Elven Art of a Blacksmith.

Post by The Man of the Moon » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:44 am

~~~ oOo ~~~
I, Govannon...
Blacksmith in Myon.png
Blacksmith in Myon.png (120.14 KiB) Viewed 5780 times
Son of the Teu-Tel'Quessir (who among the human are known as the Silver or Moon elves), artificer, smith and wanderer, will start this brief journal as my mind gets often over-helmed by the many tasks and deeds and as my brain became so capricious and selected in the kind of things he wants to keep… Maybe cause my advanced age while I keep focus enough and more vigor to keep staying in this land as much as what I already have lived before move to Eterniôn or untill I decided to leave Faerûn to join Arvanaith.

I said I am an artificer and smith. Should I precise that I am still learning and unveiling the secrets that those arts keeps, while I am a rather advanced disciple in despite of the skills of my fellow disciples before I left Evereska.

Too much has been said, written and done about blacksmithing, jewelry and metal work in general and maybe I won't be able to bring anything new to that art. However, that does not mean I shouldn’t try, as I have a burning spirit that drives me to create weapons and objects of great beauty and power, to stimulate my kindred and their helpers in the difficult task that remains to be undertaken in this remote island, shelter for some, prison and exile for others.

The trip to the secluded island of Arelith, whose exact location in the stormy waters of the Trackless Sea seems a secret spot closely guarded by pilots and sailors who still maintain contact with this distant island, was for sure dangerous: Pirates, sea monsters, storms and even reefs, came to our encounter to try sunk us and send our ship to the definitive oblivion. Oh, the cruel deities of the Deep Sea tried hard! But by the love of the Seldarine, this elf finally arrived to Arelith.

I keep a secret, a secret that may die with me if I got lost in the unpredictable waters of this ocean… and a secret that may also die if my life were not long enough to work on it. A secret that I won’t share in this intimal journal, but as a recall about what I must keep and that shall encourage my spirit. A secret that made me leave Evereska, to join a pilgrimage through all Faerûn and that ended to bring me here…
... to Arelith.

"Hei-Corellon shar-shelevu..."
("Corellon, by your grace grant us wisdom to keep our fate")
Last edited by The Man of the Moon on Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:25 am, edited 8 times in total.
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: The Elven Art of a Blacksmith.

Post by The Man of the Moon » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:18 am

~~~ oOo ~~~
I. Arrival to Cordor
I arrived to the big city of Cordor, which seems to be the most important of the not elven urban spots in the island of Arelith.

The distant rumor about the existence of some elven great master craftsmen who could continue teaching me the art of my office, is one of the reasons that pushed me to travel to this remote island, spurred by some other reason as the rumor that a city akin to Everseka and equally protected by a Mythal may lay in the deeps of the Arelith Forest, one of the greatest woods in the Arelith island... The Mythal is reason perhaps why it may be one of the few of our elven nations that have survived the vicissitudes of the history, and that rumour encouraged me to pilgrimage to Myon.

Cordor is decadent, but still strong before its enemies, and there are too many in the whole island as I am learning. Some of those enemies are working in walls, while a large number of them are beyond the frontiers of what Lord Havelock Vetinari stablished as the called “Pax Cordoria” (The Peace of Cordoria), reached by the seen as unseen deeds and powers of that Lord whose cannot be met unless he wanted to meet you.

Even through those mysts, the city seems to be reaching some lights through the efforts of a group of kindred led by Syclya and some others who are influencing the human town in a certain favorable way.

For all this, Cordor seems gloomy and full of secrets which I am not so interested to share yet, while I have my eyes put to find my way to Myon.

But as the long process to forge and temple a weapon has their necessary steps… I will forge my own temple to make sure I am worthy enough to walk alone to the Shallow Wood, where somewhere lays the famous elven haven.
~~~ oOo ~~~
During my first days in Cordor, I have seen several other travelers who as I did, arrived few time ago (some of them in the same ship where i sailed here), and who as I am, are trying to make their spot in the island.

Many of them are kindred, as Morgiana, Lomeldor and others I bet will reach Myon soon as I hope I'll do.

Corellon, Sehanine, Labelas... May thou give me the wisdom and might required to forge this soul and reach my fate!
Last edited by The Man of the Moon on Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:40 am

~~~ oOo ~~~

II. The Iron of Cordor.

I got recently a task from Giogi, who seems to be in charge of some department of the economy of Cordor. He requested from my skills four braziers to be done. This may be my first real work in this island and even while I didn't gave my promise and is an open deed, I want to illuminate whatever place they wanted to situate those braziers, so I started to work towards the completion of those artifacts through the smite of the evil kobolds who seems to be plaguing the iron mines.

Despite the small amount of iron that may be found in the said mines, the only vein I found there may provide enough iron to craft the braziers after some time of hard work.

... The Kobold opposition is strong, but my will and the strength of my arms shall prevail.

Yesterday I defeated alone a big kobold who seemed to be the leader of those dwelling in the deeps. Their treasure may help me to improve my poor gear and get deeper to search for more iron.

During my fights against kobolds and other unfair creatures and abominations, I found some odd resilience to the spells I developed after my arrival to this island. May it be related with how the Wave works in this island?
~~~ oOo ~~~
I met again to Morgiana, who made me objet of some precious and worthy presents:

An elven scimitar crafted on a rare metal that seems to be native from Arelith: Green Steel, whose properties are very interesting and that made me feel really happy as I see I have too much to learn from Arelith yet! (I can't use this precious weapon yet, but I will make sure i unveil all the secrets this green and light metal keep as master the use of the fine blade and eventually improve it with my own craft!)

Also, she allowed me to get a better armor and shield that I could only accept as craft them myself could only delay me in the task to craft the braziers.

Some day I will be great enough as to return one thousand times the gift given to me.

Corellon Larethian blesses and tempers our hearts
Last edited by The Man of the Moon on Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thank you

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:14 am

~~~ oOo ~~~

III. Inside the Furnace.
(or the Battle of the Wasted Mines)
Flamerule, in the 106th year of the Arelith Reckoning.

Once I got my assignment, I joined a group of five adventurers of daring deeds that were venturing into the Iron Mines, that I may call instead as the “Wasted Mines” (as seems to got almost all the iron prospected as a exhausted mine)… There I met to Kiana, a devoted priestess of warm heart and healing touch, to Calson, a brave and fierce human warrior, someone called Wosk (1) and Lomelan (1), a kindred. All them in seek for some adventure, all thirsty to conquer the glory and, of course, the gold laying in the underground.
~~~oOo~~~
All was fine as we got deep into the mines, but when the pressure became to be higher, Calson spelled the name of Talos in a warcry… Talos, the destructor and foe of the Father as enemy of his kindred the Tel’Quessir!
As we were far away from the not return point, I had to grit my teeth and keep the group as consistent and steady as possible before the new menaces we were daring: harder kobolds dragonkin; winged, fire breathers and tough warriors, promising me to never again associate with that man.

But as should be when one keeps in association with the weak veins, the fatality was brought on our group and the forging work in process got ruined…

After a success against a strong foe, a brute and tall Orc among those smaller kobolds, we dared to continue inside what seemed to be a dungeon. This precise time was when I probably had the chance to break my unexpected association with Calson, the self claimed Talosian, but as the group wanted to keep going into the dungeon and I didn’t refused as I was also encouraged by the greed and a strong wish to explore that last and forbidden level in search of maybe more iron reserves, I kept the worst chose…

The dungeon, probably consecrated to draconic dark deities, was fiercely defended by the numerous of those dragonkin kobolds, but we managed to press forward, until a vault where we found the a dread dragon skeleton… Maybe in preparation to perform some dark ritual to raise him as a dracolich, but quiet and inoffensive… A cell headed to the very last hall: a great space where the ultimate foe, the Head of those draconic creatures, was laying and waiting for us.
And the battle started.

After a long time trying to defeat the dark being we discovered we weren’t even allowed to wound him, so I gave to my fellows the order of retreat while I was managing to keep the draconic hybrid lord engaged in personal fight.

As almost everyone refused to leave the fight, I repeated my order once, twice, three times, even four, chilling as loud and desperate as I could, but that damned Calson as everyone else, refused to obey and insisted to fight in a completely useless effort, daring the best of the odds as Tymorean dull smilers. And the odds were adverse.

This is what happened:

The group, finally finding some common sense, retreated, but in an absolute chaos, again ignoring me, and they spreaded in all directions. As the shattered pieces of a broken blade when hammered in the hard anvil.
While Kiana found a magical gate that may allow us to get out from there, half of the group retreated yet to the earlier levels of above.

Then… the fatality.

I summoned all my skills to avoid the hybrid abomination, half dragon - half orc and tried to recover back the group, following the efforts of Kiana but in despite of our tries, all was in vain, and finally only three of us managed to get the gate and the safe exit…

In a first moment I though Kiana was with us too, but in the chaos, she went in fact to bring back Wosk, and as she failed to return, we decided to return through all the entire mine levels, in a rushing descent, to see if we may rescue them. I have to admit here that the Talosian was the first one to move to rescue our fellows. He may have a chance of redemption...

This time, the odds of our fight against the orc (who seemed to be restored to the life by any of the kobold priests) were against us, and we pressed deeper in retreat, in seek of our lost companions and the exit from the glooms…

Inside the dungeon, all was wrong… Calson rushed trying to lure all enemies on him, but many avoided him and ambushed my way as I spotted to Kiana and Wosk and carried them. I got encumbered and couldn’t avoid the many dragonkin who came overwhelming me… and the darkest of nights summoned me into the Halls of the Lord of the Cold and Eternity…

Away from all time and space…

As my spirit, guided by the ardent fate of passion that encourages me, refused to stay there for long or to move to Arvandor, I got impelled through the Gate between the Death and the Life Worlds, returning to Faerûn, to the very island of Arelith, with a big blank hole in my memory, unable to remember what happened yet after that chaos of wings, fire and crawls…
Notes:
(1) I can't recall their names, maybe due the finall odds... Once I recovered them, I shall keep their names here.
Last edited by The Man of the Moon on Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thank you

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:49 am

~~~ oOo ~~~
IV. Return to the Mines
I may say my spirit is not as weak as I may fear the death.

So I dared to return to the Wasted Mines, as long as there remains a single iron vein, that will be enough to allow me to complete the order for Cordor. I had to deliver three more braziers and that I may do, no matter how dificult it could be or how many time may require.

I have to admit that I tried to buy some iron ingots from the Cordor shops, but shame! I never saw as expensive charges as they had there! So as I refused to pay six hundreds of the Cordorian gold coins (that by other side i hadn't in my emptied pockets) I decided to return to the mines and deal with my deed.

This time, I met a kind and naive half-elf, by name, Ellion. A charitable priest of healing deeds as the own Kiana and at least in some sense, a Kindred too. So I let him join me in my expeditions by good grade.

We didn't dared to go deeper this time, as I learned everything I needed about the dungeon laying below the mines and were neither our group was as strong as the one with we descended when we succumbed against the foe...

~~~ oOo ~~~
All was fair this ocasion and I could get enough iron as to be close to complete my second brazier... Ellion and I forged some chains of a tempered friendship. While extremely naive (oh yes, he is!) he is too a good "almost-kindred". When I try to describe him, the memory of certain alloys that use some noble metals comes to my mind... Not yet Mithril! but almost there. Let the time forge him and depure him from the naive flaws, and he will shine as a polished and pure mithril ingot!
~~~ oOo ~~~
One more day.

Some notes can be seen in the journal, numbers and gibbering words within some readable text...
Govannon wrote: 2 rs . 4 ngts
+
4 cl / 8 rs . 4 /32 rs + 64 cls
+ 24 cls

32 rs / 88 cls >>> #~~~ ¬ Q < Rst

O - +++

I finally got ( almost) all the required ores and I 'm just missing some more coal that will not represent an issue to get.

I feel exhausted, but I will be allowed to complete the request in a decent and reasonable time with a very satisfying result.

Corellon Larethian, Labelas and Sehanine be praised!
Last edited by The Man of the Moon on Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:11 am, edited 4 times in total.

Thank you

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:51 am

~~~ oOo ~~~
V. The Brand of a Spiritual Forge

To engrave my brand in my forging works, I have chosen the uroboros: A draconian serpent in ring shape, bitting her own tail and in the center, with stylized filigree, will be visible the initial of my name, a G.

This form symbolizes many things ... My first fight against the darkness and draconian forces in the mines (where by dragons I was bited but returned as in a new and circled cycle)... but also the telluric forces of nature, the Magic Sehanine sewing... The resources of the earth from where us, smithers we gather the gifts of Corellon and Labelas... And also it symbolices the forge of the spirit in the constant pursuit of perfection!
~~~ oOo ~~~
As I returned to Cordor, ready to deliver the second and third braziers, I met at the same time with Syclya and Giogi, both gathered in front of the Nomad Inn (that Syclya happens to be managing).

There, a wink of complicity from Giogi to Syclya while he was explaining to her the request that I had ordered, I found that the work was more aimed at my patronage and support during my first steps in Arelith, than aimed at a specific need of the city.

Fine, Giogi Silveroak is an emotional officer, with tendencies to help people over the mere interests of the city. But nevertheless, I will make the given work worthy of being remembered as the first fruit of my hands and my art. So I could be proud of what I made and keep purifying not only the metal alloys I may touch, but also the alloy of my own spirit, which I have as the most precious of all my posesions.

~~~ oOo ~~~

As Giogi asked by a price to pay. After pondering for a moment, I replied that since it was my first work on the island of Arelith, was invaluable to my eyes and therefore the city considered a gift.

But since he insisted on paying for my honest work, so I indicated him that he may give me then what he considered just and deserved.

To my satisfaction (as for what that implied) he paid me ten thousand gold pieces for the four braziers (of which I still have to deliver the last), when they had committed to add a cauldron requested by Syclya .

Although I think that over teh time I have to overcome the work done with these braziers, I hope that the flames shine in them with the same purity and passion as were made by my hands and my genius.

My name was written with the spiritual fire

Thank you

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:08 am

~~~oOo ~~~
VI. An Elven King, a humble wanderer
Corellon guides, Corellon blesses...

As I had a wish to pilgrim to Myon as soon as it were posible, the Father brought to me one of the shinest sparks of Myon: the Coranal!

Mithrim Ossear is leading the fates of Myon in the current age, and as several kindred seems to be sailing to Arelith lately (as I did), maybe the guidance of Corellon made him come to offer us his warmly welcome and resolution.

A quick look on the Coranal throws a Moon Elf jovial, simple and humble, features that in a sun elf could hardly be crowded. But on him I perceived too a feature of melancholy, perhaps transmitted by which he could be a time of slight decay in Myon, but all guesses...

The Nomad was the witness of this meeting, as I first met the king in front the Inn and later again inside, while I was completing the delivery to Silveroak.

Ellion, the naive half-elf priest and a kindred called Seldarinos, were sitting in one of the tables with Mithrim, so I dared to approach and received the warmly and expected welcome of our Prince there, in the Arelith lands.

The flame of my bold and vehement spirit showed then, when I anounced blatantly while sincerity, that my intention was to become the greatest master smith and artificer on Myon.

Affirmation that the Coranal received with a kindness smile and hope (Doesn't matters whether he was condescending or not, the time shall talk).

Among our many claims to give assistance to our kindred and Myon (Ellion was full of praise to the king), found out through the mouth of Mithrim that currently there is no brotherhood of blacksmiths and Craftsmen (although there was in the past) , so the way is cleared to forge a name between my kindred here, as well as to develop my art to reach the highest cumbers unfettered and keep bending and forging my own spirit towards the most possible keen.

The road is liber then to Myon and full support of the sovereign, as we us respond to the expectations of support to our kindred.
What more could I want?

It's time to forge a destiny!

Thank you

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:48 am

~~~ oOo ~~~

VII. The Cauldron of Harmony
After casting the metal, I got a long bar hammered on boldly, to achieve the desired thickness, then added carefully rowan, oak, ash, beech and apple tree-leaves created by molds and chisel. Using the forge, I heated to red the two metal souls who served as branches and plaited one over the other, working below the engraving that would give life to the branches by adding yolks and lower branches with the made leaves attached.

With the metal wreath, I crowned the pot, taking care that nothing would impede the practicality of the cauldron by hovering over the edge.

I let cold the forge after tuning the set and walked away to observe from a better perspective...

It had taken me two weeks of intense work, but in the end, I had completed the cauldron promised to Syclya:

I called it the cauldron of harmony and between the reliefs created along its surface, the main scene showed a similar cauldron around which several happy diners gathered, each one of the free races Arelith in merry celebration.

I stamped my smith brand on a free place between the two upper branches ornating the trim and closing the set of forging: A snake-dragon biting its tail and ring-shaped, inside which a slender elf letter G attested to its creator: Govannon.

I nodded satisfied and gave the last temple and guard bath the cauldron, so that the time may not bite and damage its surface but after a real long time.
From what I understood, Syclya would use the cauldron for the Nomad...

My gaze lingered on the central Image: The party meeting... And let me mind wander... really wouldn’t it be wonderful if the peoples and kindreds of Faerûn may become united in a common cause of brotherhood and courageous fight against the shadows that haunted him?

In Arelith, couldn’t there grow a strong Alliance? As strong as the alleys I learnt to smelt in the now far Everska...
~~~ oOo ~~~
The Cordor harmony, for example, makes every night and every day a test of the tenacity and impregnability of its strenuous city defenders.

From the darkness of the undergrounds, kobolds, criminals, silts, trolls even try to crack the foundations of civilization of the Stone Forest.

In his sinister cemetery, taken by the rust of decrepitude, the graves creak and move, under the pressure of death that doesn’t rest and that is invoked in dark rituals by an evil cult whose dark heart plots curses in the deep impurities beyond the daylight.

I fought tirelessly and anonymously to try to eradicate some of that scum that try to get ruined the work of forging that is Cordor.

It's not the most beautiful work, but is a defender of the island, because if Cordor fall, other enclaves would follow, as rust devouring the most beautiful weapon from a tiny and insignificant caried flaw.

What will happen if Myon ended isolated amid a turbulent sea of screaming and raucous hordes of monsters without brakes or number?

So I temporize my forge work and my prospecting in the mines, with anonymous patrols, eliminating impurities.

May the grace of Corellon provide me strenghs in the arduous task!

Thank you

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:44 pm

~~~ oOo ~~~

VIII. A very sharp master sword.
Myon .
I have no words to describe the wonder that is Myon and never found them to describe Everska or to narrate the experience that is contemplating some of the most fantastic masterpieces that our art is capable to create .

I'll leave that job to the bards, or even better, let you show your own experiences, so by your own eyes you may gaze such wonders.

I went to Myon with Ellion, and in his company came back a few days later, aided by the protective enchantments of Elessar Winsbane.
~~~ oOo ~~~
back in Cordor and while I was busy, proceeding to clean the living slag from the cordorian undergrounds, I received a sudden and surprising visit of one of those insidious hin messengers who I believe able to break during your most intimate moments to deliver their messages…

Seemed as Elessar Winsbane, the same mage who protected us to return from Myon to the southern territories was requesting certain reparation works from me, as smith. I suspect Giogi had something to do on all this as the good kindred was surely trying to find clients for me.

So I decided to take a break in my efforts in the subsurface, meeting with Winsbane.

When we met in the Nomad, he declared to be in need of the reparation of a precious enchanted helmet. The own helm itself was of poor bronze crafting, a work that even a kid could attempt, but the attached enchantments were something diferent, ah, what extraordinary enchantments…

Long time ago, the first chance I had to see an item as much enchanted as this one, the magical sewing embraced in the item made me understand that my crafting work may be enhanced by means of spells… Encouraging me to learn myself the way to do it and improve my own works.

But I may require a long rest before be allowed to handle the smith hammer and become the work, so while I was saying that, another smith apeared… A fierce human lady who answered to the name of Kira.

Kira is a woman with looks to be an extraordinary experienced warrior. But something more… As she, after the reparation of the helmet, showed me a piece of her creation: One of the most beauty edges I ever saw.
Edgie.png
Edgie.png (91.87 KiB) Viewed 5889 times
"Edgie was the name she gave to her creation: an elegant elven scimitar worked on masterly Damask, enhanced with a strong essence and turned a master work as the edge was sharpened by means of enchantment."

The blade, even lacking some ornamentation, was a clear jewel of the Smith and Enchantment Art.

My surprise was then capital, as in a few time since I arrived to the island of Arelith, I have seen and meet the Sovereign of the Elves, met some almost legendary heroes and saw one of the greatest swords that i may dream to make as Smith.

While checking the very edge of that masterwork, I promised myself to grow in the Art as much as be allowed to create jewels like that one alone, providing all: the very forge work but also the means to enchant it.

Sehanine, may your grace give me the skills to enchant the most wonderful works.
Last edited by The Man of the Moon on Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thank you

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Re: The Elven Art of an artificer.

Post by The Man of the Moon » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:05 am

Tired of Cordor, I decided to continue my work and progress in Myon, experiencing the forging techniques learnt in Cormanthor and comparing them with those practiced in Myon, Cordor, Wharftown and Bendir... Soon, when I became able to travell alone to the Golden Halls, I will come to the high forges of Brogendenstein and try to persuade the stubborn dwarves about the valuable power of the collaboration.

Although I may keep some bounds with Cordor, as seems the very trading outpost on all the entire island, with several shops from one of them could become to serve me to share my high quality works and make a name as a focused smith. But my first plan is to lift those extreme prices, turning the cordorian metal trade something more sensible.
~~~ oOo ~~~
IX. The Arelith Forest
I dared travel as a lone wolf to Myon as long as my fighting training is high enough, aided by the blessings of the Seldarine.

The Arelith Forest, where Myon is located, extends from the ancient ruins of the first Stonehold in the west to the rocky foothills of the Skull Crags in the east. And from the Bendir borders, in its southern part, extending to Minmir in north.

To the outside observer, the forest may seem an unique and homogeneous tree mass, but in the eyes of the elves, there are three clearly different forests:
Shallow Forest
One bright and splendid, with powerful strong trunk trees and deep roots, as old as the own island, covering as an emerald mantle the center plains of Arelith and known as the Shallow Woods, and makes the western half of the Arelith Forest.
Shadow Forest
One shadowy and gloomy, tainted by ancient evil powers never yet eradicated even during the time where the Keep of Light was built there by the human King Galahad the builder, in the edge of the forest with the Skull Crags. This darker forest mass, gathers secrets and evil threats waiting to ambush the lost wanderer… Known as the Shadow Woods, takes the eastern side of the Arelith Forest.
The Emerald Chasm
In the center, between both forests, there is a depression that I call the Emerald Chasm.
It seems that this is the place where it was the portion of ground on which was erected Myon in the past, and as Myon was raised on the air by the power of the Mythal, a cavity was left in the ground, that the time filled with a dense and inaccesible forest, seemingly as an evergreen canopy sea...
~~~ oOo ~~~
Once arrived into the fair city one more time, I became a hard and long work in the furnaces.
In the while time, when I retire to rest from my works, I descend into the Shallow Wood to take a calmly walk, contemporizing with a patrol.

In my last one, I met with the enchantress Trina, who I gladly invited into my walks, in a intended patrol through our woods in the surface, below Myon, as surprisingly there are monsters who dare approach dangerously to our Mythal gate.

It was a memorable exploration, during which we made great finds (at least great for a blacksmith like me), locating valuable ore where I shall return to prospect. Also, we managed to eradicate a large amount of those who are enemies to our Kindred and supported to keep safe our frontiers.
What we couldn’t possibly make alone, we did together, working as a smooth team in the same meaning as the works I intend to attempt: Excellent forge works, tempered by the meanings of the Art; I was the forged blade in the darkness, she was the enchantment sharpening me to better cut the enemies.

Thank you

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:02 am

Even the purest alloy keeps some lights and some shadows...
~~~ oOo ~~~
X. A green blade for a kindred.
Myon, 107 AR.
The seed of a Blacksmith Fate
Now I own a stand in the Trade Vault of Myon. Here starts my real run towards the mastery and perfection that I pursuit in the Blacksmith and Jewelry Art.

As this was a sudden bend of the Life’s Forge, I am trying to keep it stored with what I had, mostly ingots of silver, steel and iron… I shall research to locate Zinc veins in order to keep a decent supply of brass for our enchanters and alchemist, in the while time I completed some decent creations on the furnaces of Myon.
~~~ oOo ~~~
A request for a sharpen blade
Verimil Aelorathi is a proud champion or Corellon Larethian, the pristine creator. A good elf who I shall support in his own path.

He requested me a creation of my forge (this one may be my very first great weapon forged in the lands of Arelith). His election is no other than an elven scimitar. A glorious and dangerous weapon able to get the most sharpened of edges and my own chose among all the weaponry I may craft, to use in my battles.

The emerald steel has been his chosen alloy as well. This metal is an alloy of the Arjale… An emerald and glowy mineral, of metallic structure, who gathers much of the properties to create a steely alloy hardest and keenest than the standard steel or even the masterly forged damask.
This is commonly known in Arelith as Green Steel, and there are not many places in Toril where one may find arjale veins but in this remote island.

The quest
As I only want to create the most perfect of creations (as this is each time I may start a new work), I requested some proves from Verimil:

- To create a stronger bound between the sword and its owner, I demanded that at least one of the ores to use in the forging of the sword were to be extracted from the arjale vein by his own hand.

- Likewise, I requested to see him in action, to evaluate and analyze his fighting style enough to make the best adaptation of the weapon for the hands of its future owner.

As he agreed to these few requirements, we decided to start our search to get the needed arjale so I may start the forging work as soon as posible, with the grace of Corellon, Sehanine and Labelas.

~~~ oOo ~~~
So Verimil requested my permission to call some fellows in our help. As long as the quest was not intended to prove his value, but to allow me to infuse the arjale with his own aura and to let me ponder his combat style, I have no arguments to oppose.
Daring in the Dark Spires
Finally were four the members of our small adventure, to dare the heart of the harpies nest, in the Dark Spires chasms.

Tidurion Aeramiel'ithil, a mighty champion sharing the worship to Corellon with Verimil.
Aelan Anariel, a brave and proud Ar'Tel'Quessir, warrior and blacksmith as I am.
The own Verimil Aelorothi...
And Govannon, a skilled blacksmith… wait.. that's me.

Perched and enclosed between tall peaks, near to the western coast of Arelith, there is a forest surrounding the entrance to a rift close to the cliffs. There, a deep pit falls into the profundities of the first mountains of the Dark Spires, plagued by the evil harpies.

The travel was blessed by the kindness and charm of Belandriel Elebin, who under my request, agreed to ward us with the blessings of the Seldarine.

The march was nothing but fast, through the western road, until Wharftown, were we took passage in the ferry for a brief sail towards the Brogendenstein docks.

Once there, nothing could oppose our elven blades nor our resolution. And all was fast as a summer storm… Sadly, I had not many chances to ponder the combat style of Verimil as every foe dropped his guts in a storm of blood and trembling pieces of flesh… Disgusting.

Finally the harpies nest, but hence, every harpy was laying there as a dry pool of blood and ruined corpses… we arrived late and we wandered through the gloomy caves until we found finally a solitary vein…

Verimil attempted his best, even when lacking mining knowledge, but they agreed my will and Labelas rewarded us with a single ore, but infused as I wanted with the own wish of Verimil.
So the merry elven group returned, while I delayed my presence in the Dark Spires, in a visit to the Golden Halls.

Thank you

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:50 am

~~~ oOo ~~~
XI. The forge of a sharpened emerald destined to cut the darkness
Fellows
Once I got the ore, infused with the very brave spirit of Verimil, and I had watch on his combat style, like to know how I may better adequate the balance and hilt of his sabre, I only needed the remnant ores to smelt the needed alloy.

So I decided to wander in a routinely prospective travel, in the hope I may find during my journey some fellows or adventurers that may aid me in the task.

Corellon, the Father provides, and I met a merry group discussing before the Burrowhome Gate:

Pepin the Hin, a human named Pert Sigermane and a joking dwarf who refused to share his name until I became serious and leaving, so he stopped teasing and presented him as Grimly Keghlighter, ambassador from Golden Halls in Bendir. Nothing so impressive to me yet, but as I found here an opportunity to get a recommendation card to present before the Crafting Guilds of Brogendenstein, in behalf of a possible share of technics, I tried my best of courtesies and natural charming, that usually is as polished as a row common stone thrown in the teeth.

The ambassador dwarf and I agreed a deal where I could allow him to visit Myon (under my cautious watch) in trade of his introduction to the dwarven blacksmith guild, but soon I found a better possibility that he may support me in my task to find the appreciated as needed arjale.

During our pilgrimage back to the Fair City, I found in Grimly a most simple and kind creature than the one I first met in Burrowhome. A curious character of shadows and lights mixed in a naïve but sturdy dwarf of sneaky skills.
A visit into the jewel above the forest
Our arrival to Myon happened without great perils, and he got dazed by the marvelous elven jewel as soon as the Mythal accepted him in our City above the clouds.
Guided his natural curiosity along the clean and charming districts, and allowed him to enjoy our consecrated gardens, within the Central Tower-Palace. The more time we shared, the more I understood why Corellon and Moradin are natural allies. The Dwarves share a noble spirit with the Elves, as I know, in the past of Arelith, both kin were allied against the glooms and evil powers struggling to dominate the island.

~~~ oOo ~~~
Finally, after a long rest while I draw some schemes and patterns for the sabre design and after a recovering meal, we departed towards the Dark Spires, where close to his small realm, in the rifts and cliffs lay perched the harpies, warding the precious and waiting emerald metal.
Giant platted bugs!
There is a secluded small vale between the waves of the trackless sea and the first peaks of the Dark Spires. There, below the bridge leading to their Golden Halls, is a small wood leading to the harpies nest.

And there, we were close to die, in a suddenly desperate fight against three enormous insectoid dreadnoughts.
The gigantic abominations spited us their corrosive acid, almost ruining our armors and dealing terrible wounds with their ravenous bites.

The harpies coming along were not an issue, but the gigantic bugs started to place us in the thin frontier of a painful dead, limbed and swallowed in their grim stomachs.

As Grimly was seeming in the edge of death, I stopped my fight against a harpy and started to assist him with all my healing arsenal, time by time smaller, supporting the injuries of the harpy who was biting and slicing me crossing my fierce defense… Any route to avoid what clearly seemed a fatal conclusion were all close by the foes… I whispered a praise to the Seldarine so were ready to receive my spirit, when a light came upon us in the darkest time.

A strong elemental came upon our foes, in our aid, and behind, I had time to spot a kindred mage, casting one after another blizzards of magical energy above the overwhelming enemy.

I let then my arm guide my own blade towards the harpies’ heart and beheading one of the titanic armored bugs and in a blink all the foes were gone, laying in an agony of cut flesh and spread guts in the grounds of the secluded forest.

~~~ oOo ~~~
Our savior, resulted to be Nelarnel, a kindred and experienced sorcerer, blessed by the touch of Mystra (to my surprise, as I expected he may worship our beloved Goddess Sehanine) and councilor of Cordor, so fellow of the gentle dame Syclya.

Really the Seldarine smiled on us when they sent him to meet us in that precise time, and joining us, or rather, joining him, we continued our expedition towards the wanted arjale.

~~~ oOo ~~~
The forge of the sabre

During this phase, the forge must remain well fed, and the blade is inserted into the oven until it looks as a red hue ruby, which then will be hammered to remove impurities and progressively achieve more tenacity.

Then goes on doubling the blade several times and every time amalgamating the edge and the soul of the blade, repeating again and again the same process until a stronger edge will be acquired, as sharp as capable to cut off the own breath by looking at it.

Once the blade, the main part of the sabre was ready, I attached the hilt, where I used a long time to take care on the smallest detaills; engrabing a little crest of arms of the Aerolothi's House: A ruby swan on a sapphire field is engraved in the pommel.

With a blessed chissel, I gave the last touch into the blade, adding my blacksmith brand above the cross-guard and preceding the engraved text: A draconic snake biting his own tail in a circle shape, and inside, a beauty elven letter G.

Along the curved blade, from the cross to the middle length, I engraved then each side, in thin and elegant elven, the following text:

In the right side, can be read:
“I am the true justice wielded by Verimil Aerolathi, Champion of Corellon Larethian”
and in the left side it reads:
“I was forged by Govannon, with the emerald steel and the brave soul of Verimil”
Once the forging and ornating work was concluded and in order to give the final touch, I went to the Twin Gaps, where during the moonlight, I consecrated the saber to our Father and Creator, Corellon Larethian.

So, finally, my very first weapon forged in the lands of Arelith was done and ready before my proud eyes.

Thank you

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:35 am

Now, the blade was given to Verimil long time ago, as a deserved present...

And I continued working hard to raise my art to the highest levels.

My intention is not to achieve Glory or Fame... This may involve a different fever guiding my steps: the seek of the highest beauty, the most perfect creation that could be conceived by my creative genius and the skill of my hands.

Probably the same fire spirit that invades me, was inhabiting on the many illustrious members of my lineage that along the times, created the greater works of blacksmith and jewelry, artificers who contributed with their art to enrich the legacy of our elven nation. Or maybe, I will get drag on my creative fever and consumed in the ovens of madness...

Whatever may happen, I will continue my path until fulfill my destiny.
~~~ oOo ~~~

Back in Myon, gathering an appreciable amount of Moonsteel and after the eradication of the annoying presence of some ogres of our forests , I met Daijin in the Shallow Forest roads, close to the Mythal.

Lovely and caring helper of our people, Daijin has offered me space in her merchant post of Cordor to sell some of my items, currently inaccessible to anyone other than our elven lineage.
I gratefully accepted her proposal and we continued each our ways, as I fell prisoner in a new project of my feverish burning mind.

The forge of Myon is awaiting me...

Thank you

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:07 am

~~~ oOo ~~~
The howling night
Something terrible has happened.

I had heard stories whispered during the cold nights in the distant continent about places, where our lineage could fall prey to unspeakable curses...

Now I see that Arelith is one of those places, such is the nature in the unstable alloy that is forged.

It happened while hunting some bandits that wagered on the Bitter Coast road tried to kill me. I prevailed against the ambush and they fled to their refuge, a base of operations of bloodthirsty thugs on the coast.
Determined to end their threat, I went into the underground complex, entrusting myself to Corellon , Sehanine and Labelas.

But that place was accursed and deadlier than expected, as I started to find true, fierce and ravenous werewolves.
Using belladonna to protect me from the curse was not enough, I believe, and even when I slayed most of them, I had to retreat for my life, carrying the plague in my infected wounds.

At a first stance, I couldn’t really find anything odd, but while the time was passing, I felt a deep hunger… hunger of fresh flesh and blood! So I moved as fast as I could towards the Fair Haven, above the shallow woods, expecting to find a cure.

During the travel, back to Myon, I got ambushed once more time, but for a large goblin mob in the crystal caves. So I fought with desperate fury, with the primal rage of the warrior elves, slicing them with my sabre, shining in the glooms as an unstoppable green fang…
Then, I fell on the delirium… A bloodthirsty fever of primal rage and destruction ruptured me and I let the wave carry me towards the completely destruction of the enemies…

As I felt something going wrong, I tried to awake from that delirant nightmare… It required a great focus, but finally, I recovered some clarity of mind, to find myself covered by the blood, flesh and guts of the unlucky goblinoids.

So now I have a serious issue, as a corner of my mind is telling me, but I feel good… my aged limbs can now flexes with higher mobility, my muscles seems greater even while I had an excellent build, sculpted by the continual hard work on the forge. Oddly, the wounds I receive seem to cure by themselves…

But despite the self-complacency; this greater physical fortitude, the power flowing through my veins, pervert by aligning a powerful poison... Despite that, I know, beyond the scarlet mist that clouds my mind… That something is going really wrong.
Damn ! The moon steel ores (silver...) that I collected in the caves are scorching me even through the sturdy bag in which are stored... The heat beats on my back, sending lashes amounting my spine to the head, where they strike mi mind as hammering on a red hot blade...

but Labelas curse me if I dare drop them!

Thank you

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:32 am

Hunger
My hair, teeth and nails seems to grow at a great and fast rate... and for some odd reason, my clothes are almost ruined... noticed too the banishment of some of my ownings and my travel bag has a few holes.

My memory was not so good lately, but it has weakened in a drastical and unexpected way these days. Labelas be praised, at least I keep my domain on the Art of the Forge, that I practise as often as I feel my energies recovered, polishing some of my current works in the travel anvil I carry in my strong back, covered by leather hides.

For some reason, I am giving more attention to the plants I find in my wandering through the forest than to the coal veins, as also I don't feel encouraged to return so soon to Myon... Is something related with the wilds? But I cannot... the scarlet mist covers that... and when I try to focus my gaze in that direction, I feel a terrible headache in my brain as if the Great Forger tried to smelt mithril into my head.

I collected some silver, but for some odd reason, it is burning me when I try to pick it with my nude hands, this is why I have to use my gauntlets of forge... I think... Sometimes I think I am close to remember something important, but I got the disgusting feeling that it is avoiding my thoughts, but is there yet... and I continue looking for some herb as a mad elf, foresting and looking for no idea what.
~~~ oOo ~~~
A hope of Light
I found the path to Benwick. Is not hard to find it yet as seems someone took care to clear it from weeds. Even when I can’t read the tracks, there are as many that make me think in some sort of army activity there...
Through the unliving shadows, ogres and serpent men I fought with enraged fury, making the path to the Benwick Outskirts through an absolute carnage.
Once there, beholding the impressive and old walls of the Keep of Light I found a camp and a few defending knights that once served in the Benwick’s Army, most of them now tough veterans of hundreds of fights against the shadows… As a knight named as Gracielo Espada is encouraging to renew the efforts against the evilness secluded in walls, I offered my services as blacksmith to support their needs of weaponry for their knights and squires, in their cause against the darkness.
While I may not commit the excessively strict ideals and standards of the chivalry, those braves share strong bounds with Myon and the elves. We share the same foe, the darkness that engulfs the shadow woods; We share the Arelith Forest as the very walls of our havens.
So I feel their cause as my own, as Myon does. So I decided to support them as if they were kindred.

As soon as I deposited my message to Sir Gracielo, I felt the need to eat some… flesh… crude?.
The guards were looking at me with some glare of suspicion on their eyes, so I returned to the dense forest to take care on my hungry in privacy… Why I am thinking again in wolfs bane? Can’t be possible that I was under the effects of the lycanthropy… Could that be?

I pray to Corellon Larethian, to Sehanine Moonbow, to Labelas Enoreth so they, in their infinite wisdom take piety of me, their humble prayer…

Then… Oh, I feel confusion and can’t remember yet… What am I doing here? Did I came to prospect the nearly ores I need?... Why is my hair as long now? My teeth and fangs… hmmm… nails seems to grow at a great and fast rate... and for some odd reason, my clothes are almost ruined... My travelling bag is barely damaged and I feel a deep hungry… a deep hungry… The scarlet mist calls me to hunt… hunt… hunt.

Thank you

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Mon May 04, 2015 2:46 pm

~~~ oOo ~~~
Purifying the alloy of your being
As easy as the curse came, the curse is gone now... How to do it?

1. During the domain of the Nightsun, under the influence of Sehanine Moonbow and when the silver rays caress your face.

2. Grab the ores of the bane of wolves.

3. Toss them in the pit of your forging furnace .

4. Allows its essence to purge the impure bodies from the alloy smelting in the furnace's heart.

5. Renewed, raise your face towards the Nightsun and rejoice then, because you will be free of the macula.

The mighty ore of the Deeps
To celebrate my release from this unwanted bondage, free from the chains of anger and never sated hunger, I started my first armor forged since I came to this island of power:

A full armor of adamantine...

I think I will decorate it with the hides of those werewolves I may banish to the plane of the longest shadows.

Shall this adamantine-fur, hardest than iron and painful than silver, prevent me from the werewolves' fangs and claws... As from anyother threat, with the blessings of Corellon Larethian, Sehanine Moonbow and Labelas Enoreth. May their glory bless this work and may allow me to keep the fight against the many shadows.

In the time I completed the work, I found I was allowed to use the mighty plate, shiny under the kiss of the Moon rays.
~~~ oOo ~~~
Hmmm... The adamantine? oh, yes, I acquired adamatine ingots from the ... ... market at a very reasonable price, while anyway I needed to invest every gold coin I had in my now disrupted treasure.

May Labelas be praised.

In a sidenote, can be read: 22 moonsteel ingots (silver) deposited in the Daijin's commercial post - Cordor - 1500 gp each.

Thank you

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Tue May 26, 2015 11:30 am

~~~ OOo ~~~
Beaten and arised
While I keep increasing my activity and explorations, in reseach of more resources to support my works in the forge of Myon as my development in the smith, I am widening my view and perspective of the island.

Also as my fighting skills are getting better and my bounds with the Seldarine stronger, I became to dare alone in the Minmir caves to keep the gnollish war bands away from our forest frontiers and claim the resources gathered there.

Our forests… Even when the dhaerrow Wicket, who managed to cover in shadows the grove for some time, is now banished from our forests, the shallow Woods are getting dangerous guests as drows, goblins and other creatures from the dark who are daring more often to wander them.

Some weeks ago, I had an unfortunate meeting with a small but extremely fierce goblin gang. Despite my initial surprise when one of them started to speak in a flawless common, demanding a tribute, made me take measures for the incoming combat, but this was not enough to allow me to defeat the goblinoids as I got my proud biting the soil in a lightning fight against so expert warriors. The next I could remember was the Halfling Kalli trying to make me recover the conscience near to the Bendir Dale Pass, maybe saving me from an inglorious fate turned as goblin food rations.

After that, I make sure I keep some guaji sheets at hand, to chew as soon as I may meet again another of the extremely dangerous explorers from the darkness beneath the roots of our forests.

But I can't desperate.
To reach some of the strongest alloys, at first the metal must be broken and cast... In the same way, my own spirit molded and tempered, strengthened from the soul itself, bringing out the most valuable of my being.

Thank you