Dear Sister, Dear Mother

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

SongSinger

Dear Sister, Dear Mother

Post by SongSinger » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:09 am

It was always strange, to take the time to write you letters to scatter later to the wind,
Arcane flame and hopeful prayers that the Lady would hear and you would too.
Things in these isles are not all they seem, but there is always a laugh to be had.

Dear Ceyla, today would have been your thirtieth.
You would have lectured me that such days were less important, that there was research to be done.
Buried yourself in a fort of books to fend off the inevitable roar of a mother's scorn.
Forced to eat cake for a whole ten minutes before you were already raving about your latest theory.
Your spellbook has been well looked after. I even added a few notes and corrections myself.
As always, or at least as usual, you were right about most things in here.
I can already hear the 'I told you so.'.

Dear Ma, today we would have partied and I would have come home from active duty.
A grand thing, for it was already rare.
Following in father's footsteps was never what you wanted for me, but even now here we are.
I don't know what I'm doing but I feel the weight of the words you offered me on the day I left for the Wall.
Even now. Especially now.
You would have reminded me I still wasn't married. That I needed to settle down already.
No doubt you would have arranged yet another pretty lass to try and tease some interest from me.
I still laugh remembering the time you thought I was more into Harold after so many rejected ladies.
I hope you're both still laughing, up there. I'll join you both one day, in her halls.

Stay kind, both of you. We'll meet again.

-Emeryn
Iyr'varsis - "In a City of Heretics, perhaps I am the most heretical."
Emeryn, 'Archer the Archer' - "You seem a damber sort, let's have a drink!"