Memoirs of Simple Innkeeper

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Bunnysmack
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Memoirs of Simple Innkeeper

Post by Bunnysmack » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:24 pm

I once had a knight of some faith or another ask me, "What purpose does it serve to make people laugh?" To be honest, at the time I was stunned by the very idea of such a question. To have a mindset where laughter wasn't necessary, nay, intrinsic to the continuance of sentient life? That was just alien to me.

Since then, I've met enough dour types to get a better idea of how viewpoints that are anti-comedy function, but that doesn't make those viewpoints any less wrong. The providence of a mind that is capable of forming thought and emotion is to experience enjoyment. Laughter is, in effect, the union of both the physical and mental expressions of that enjoyment.

Laughter can create common ground between otherwise opposing parties. Laughter can banish the horrors of this world, and help inspire the downtrodden to feel more than simply fear or despair. Nine out of ten bards agree, gloom touches the heart far less while one is in a fit of giggles! Maybe I should enroll at a bard college some day...Hmmmn, well, I certainly have time to try that out at a later date. Something to consider for the future.

To laugh is to be alive. It is my weapon, my gift, my code, and so much more besides. No matter how dark things get, I'll never stop trying to bring smiles to the faces of those that deserve it, and cackle my defiance into the faces of those that don't.
"You're insufferable..."
"That's not true! I can totally be suffered!"