The Oath of One

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Battleshaw

The Oath of One

Post by Battleshaw » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:03 pm

"Hear me, son of mine, blood of my blood. When the time comes, you will be on your own. I've taught you all I could, may my imparted wisdom guide you in your travels. And may the great Corellan Larenthian watch over you, you will always have a home here, a sanctuary, until fate makes us part ways."

The final words my father gave to me before I decided to embark on an adventure to Arelith. The land of Silverymoon has always been kind to me.

No.

I misguide myself with such a statement, the betrayal of a friend most dear had tainted my heart, a companion that I trusted with the eagerness to serve the forest and it's entities much like myself. He consumed himself with greed, and worked with those most nefarious, leaving nothing but evil and suffering in their wake when they come across someone just trying to live through their life with what peace could be found before it is disturbed. I was in pain, but I did not let it show, I needed to remain stalwart; not just for those around me, or what laid in front of me, but for myself.

I had to take care of this duty myself, to vanquish the evil that had lingered close to me all this time, Beilar. Those who had manipulated him gave him a choice, it was their rite of passage to fully be inducted within their group of pathetic highwaymen. It was to murder someone close to him, and that target, was me. He had no strategy, no proper execution; much like strategy is nothing without execution, the same way execution is nothing without strategy.

The battle did not last long. I knew how he functioned, I knew what he was capable of, I knew how he moved, acted. I studied someone for the sake of wanting to understand them, in a positive note. The same study was useful to me when I needed to vanquish the evil close to me, the same evil that was in a puddle of water with only the night to shadow me and the rain to keep us both company, the perfect atmosphere for one suffering in sorrow. In the end, I could not feel anger; only disappointment. Beilar was given a proper burial, even if it meant that he had committed a grave offense towards me. One that I would learn to forgive, but never forget.

When you have the time to sit and think about a situation that just occurred, involving someone close, you cannot help but to think back to when the memories were full of good. We were both rangers for the forest of Silverymoon, we complimented each other in battle and were effective, coordinated. Beilar had his delinquent moments, leading us back to the time we caught the ire of a local farmer after Beilar decided to anger it and let himself be chased by it only for the ox to tip over into a ravine, just to be brought back and shouted at to never return.

I scolded him with a quick batter upside the head with my hand. We laughed, much later, if only I would not be recalling this memory after such a dire circumstance. The only thing left for me in the moment is to endure the ride by boat to Arelith, for my own sake.

Battleshaw

Re: The Oath of One

Post by Battleshaw » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:12 pm

I arrived in Arelith, more specifically the kingdom of Cordor. The boat ride was tolerable, but some of the people weren't let alone the crew managing it. I suppose it's my intolerance of people who seem to be particularly obnoxious in nature, the condition only being more irritating when their sobriety is at stake. The only thought I had was making my great escape from this boat and it's inhabitants when we reach the port.

I, unfortunately, did come to this place with little else but my mind, body, arrows and bow. I needed coin, and sorting out deliveries seemed to be the most manageable way of getting a start, but it wouldn't get me anything useful. They say the best place to get some serious coin was handling problems that others would pay, seemingly to deal with various threats across Arelith. But with a string attached, you wouldn't get the highest paying thing there was until you could show you were capable of handling better.

Writworking, the various people call it. I was in need of basic necessities, and crawling into the mouth of the beast that was dangerous adventures was my way out of a struggle.

I was to overcome this, by any means necessary.

Battleshaw

Re: The Oath of One

Post by Battleshaw » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:27 pm

Experience.

Long ago, my father explained to me that one must be able to take risks; lest you lose on the value that is experience, experience being the teacher of everything in the aspect of the life we live. An archer that has no experience in handling a bow is no worthy adversary, teacher or ally. My time here in Cordor, among other places would be very short lived if I was incapable of defending myself, others, or being able to strike down my enemies.

Fortunately, I am an archer that can handle the bow, without fail. Writworking has been more of a lesson, and the adventure the teacher. I'm slowly understanding to study the different species; and being aware of just how much greed and evil is considered the substitute for those less fortunate; thugs, brigands, forces most evil. It lurks everywhere, much like those who aspire who intend to do good. It is never simple.

I'm not struggling as much compared to when I got off the boat. But there is still much to learn.