Winding Paths

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

Csente

Winding Paths

Post by Csente » Tue May 23, 2023 10:09 am

Wheels of a dozen carts rattled on the cobblestones, people chattered, kids run across the street, and roadside merchants advertised their here-and-there gathered wares from ramshackle booths on loud voices.

The elder elf firmly curved his arm around the shoulder of the younger one, to direct her towards the harbor without wasting any more time in the bustling mists of the port city.

The elf girl, led by the elder one, was visibly stunned by the view, excitement and nervousness moulded her expression as they quickly navigated through the gathering crowd, so the elder elf could pass her on to the crew of the soon to be unbound vessel.

On the dock, they stopped, and the elder turned the girl towards himself for a last few words before letting her go.
"You know your mission, right? You are ready. I count on you. We all count on you."
The girl visibly gulped, now apparent that after the momentary diversion caused by the busy port, she started to realize the weight of her situation again.

The elder softly patted her cheek at that, and pointed down where her neck disappeared under her leather vestment.
"Don’t panic. You know that I can see if you got into trouble. I can help."
The girl nodded, and straighted her back, bracing herself to turn and leave the port behind. She felt tears gathering in her eyes, but she pursed her lips to strengthen her will. The master doesn't like when she cries. She fastened her pace, up on the ramp, and felt that with every step upwards her excitement grew as well. When reaching the deck of the ship, she skipped to the rails, and called back to the elder elf while weaving.
"I will see you later, master Ryon! Seldarine keep you safe!"
The other elf on the dock raised one arm in return while a swift, smooth smile crossed his face.
"Go now, your brother is waiting!"
Only when the ship was slowly dragged from the port by the wind, and the girl's attention was dragged with it, did the elder elf sunk his arm, and the corner of his lips sank the same.
"I'm sure he will be thrilled to see you again."