Sun and Moon

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Active DMs

chocolatelover

Sun and Moon

Post by chocolatelover » Tue May 30, 2023 12:40 am

Setting Sail

Neverwinter Port

Aria clutched her bags close as she peered up at the sailing ship. As her head tilted back so she could see the tops of the mainsails, her hood slipped back exposing unnaturally pink hair to the breeze. Her mouth opened a bit in awe as she stepped back to see better, not noticing the wharfman shouldering a large barrel moving behind her.

Daun gently but deftly moved Aria forward, tucked the stray hairs back under the hood, and pointed out the captain on the quarterdeck. “I gave my father’s letter to Captain Bestien, and he assures me the voyage will take no more than a few weeks. You will share a berth with another female passenger, and I will sleep below with the crew.”

“Oh, Daun. I never dreamed I would be sailing. On the ocean!” She laughed gaily and waved her hands helplessly at the bustling port. “This will give me some inspiration to write some songs, I am sure of it!”

Daun smiled at Aria’s enchanting gaze. “Now aren’t you glad you ran into me at the marketplace?” he teased.

Mouth open wide, feigning insult, Aria declared, “ I ran into YOU? Why you –”, and then she laughed even louder. “Yes. I am so glad WE ran into EACH OTHER. So many things I never would have seen!”

—----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Silverymoon - a few years before

Aria raced like a deer through the Market dodging shopkeepers, tinkerers, dignitaries, and customers. As she careened dangerously around a bakery cart, she heard the flustered merchant yell after her. “One of these days, Aria! You won’t be so lucky!”

Aria merely smiled, clutching her purchases close to her. She did however pause at another table to eye the gleaming trinkets. She lifted one comb up to her light auburn hair with her free hand and peered into a warped but functional mirror, turning her head in various ways. She frowned at the unruly hair curled around her slightly pointed ears. “You’ll not be able to keep such a jewel in your hair, young lady, with all your running about!” chided the merchant woman, with a lopsided grin.

Aria ducked her head and carefully placed the piece down on the cloth. Someday, she would earn enough gold to buy some trinkets for herself, she thought.

As Aria turned, taking her first step into her skipping run, she was suddenly knocked to the ground by what felt like a wall. Dazed, she lay gasping for breath as shouts erupted all around. “What’s happened?” she wondered. “Is it an army? Did the market stall collapse?”

She felt hands turning her over and sitting her up as her head swirled. She raised her view to see brown hair framing friendly brown eyes. “Are you all right? Let me help you pick up your things.”

Aria huffed at the boy and slowly picked up her bundle, turning it over to check for damage. “It’s all right.” She rubbed her knee, just now realizing she had scraped it as she fell. “Better than I am anyway,” as she rose to her feet.

“Where did you come from?” she asked as she realized the direction he must have come from was simply a wall.
The boy smiled. “The wall isn’t that tall.” He shrugged.

“You came over the wall? But why –?”

“This way! He’s over there!”

Aria turned to see several city guards approaching and two grabbed the boy by his arms.

“Look what you’ve done!” one of the guards said to the boy. “You should have stopped when he called you!” The guard indicated spilled apples and various goods from a nearby table and the package that Aria had fortunately landed over but not on as she fell. The boys started to speak but was cut off. “Come with us!”

More shouts ensued as various shopkeepers yelled their frustration at the guards and the youth who was being led away. The trinket seller patted Aria on the shoulder. “Best get that tea to Brother Broadseat. He’ll be expecting it.”

Aria sighed and gingerly tested her knee, she decided to walk a bit more slowly back to the House of the Seven Stars.

—--------------------------------------------------------

Aria placed the bowl of rolls on the table and let Sister Janaline know that all was ready. As the various clergy members came toward the table murmuring about the day’s work, she heard some loud voices at the door. Focusing on pouring some hot water in the cup so Brother Broadseat could enjoy the Calimsham tea she had managed to bring back from the market, she was surprised to hear the voices get even louder as someone entered the dining hall.

Carefully carrying the tray of hot tea, she stepped through the doorway to see guards and a pair of brown eyes. ‘You!” she said, placing the tray on the table in front of a clearly startled Brother Broadseat.

“You!” said the boy. Clearly incensed.

“What is this?” asked Elder Stubbins, getting up from the table to face the guards and a flustered housekeeper.

The voices lowered, but Aria craned her neck from behind the table as Sister Janaline placed a hand on hers to indicate that she stay put. Aria could only hear bits and pieces.

“We’re not an orphanage”
“Unaccompanied minor.”
“She was a baby and had no one else.”
“My cousin can vouch for me.”
“We have no room for another child!”

Finally, the guards left and the boy came to the table quietly to sit beside Brother Broadseat as Aria’s mouth dropped.

“This is Daun,” said Brother Broadseat kindly. “He will join us for dinner while the guards, er, clear up a few things.”

At first Aria fumed. But as the meal progressed, she began stealing peeks at the boy. After dinner, Daun offered to help clear the table so they ended up in the kitchen washing the dishes.

“Did you really grow up in a monastery? And you really came here, miles and miles away, all alone?” she asked about everything Daun had told the others at the table.
“And you just ran from the guards when they wouldn’t let you in?” Daun shrugged. “I’ve come here several times with my parents. I didn’t see what the fuss was about coming in alone.”

So Daun told her about his life in the monastery, and Aria explained how she became an orphan who lived at the not-orphanage of the Temple of the Seven Stars.

They were still talking and laughing when Sister Janaline cleared her throat. “Your cousin is here, young Daun.”

As Daun was led out, he turned with a sheepish smile and waved goodbye. Aria was astounded to find herself disappointed. Would she ever see the boy again?

—--------------------------------------
Aria glanced at Daun as they headed up the gangplank. “You ran into me, you know. I fell down on my knee and you were on top of me!

“You jumped out in front of me!”

“If you hadn’t been running from the guards-”
“If you hadn’t turned so fast - “

They stopped and laughed. “It’s always an adventure with you, Daun.

Last edited by chocolatelover on Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:32 pm, edited 5 times in total.

chocolatelover

Sun and Moon - The Voyage

Post by chocolatelover » Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:38 pm

The Voyage

The Trackless Sea

Aria perched precariously on a pile of flour sacks as the ship rocked back and forth in the churning waters. She deftly caught a mug that launched itself off the small table before it hit the floor, nearly losing her seating in the process. She shoved the mug into her skirts and held onto a strap hanging from the cabin wall.

“Oooh! I can’t sleep in this! And it has been going for hours!” she wailed.

Dame Bradbodam clenched the sides of the cot, but presented a calm smile to the young woman. “Oh, ‘tis not so bad. Aye, the storm is long, but not too strong. None of the sailors seem worried, so it canna be too bad.”

“I hope Daun is okay. They’ve asked him to help with the sails.” Aria turned a worried glance up through the floorboards as if she could see through them to detect Daun’s safety.

The older woman chuckled, then prompted, “Why don’t ye tell me more about you and young Daun? What did ye do together in that silvery city?

Aria paused in thought, and then smiled. “Mostly? We ran all over the city. and climbed… and investigated… and sometimes we almost got into trouble…” Her eyes softened with memory.

—----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Silverymoon - a few years before

Aria peered around the grove, her light auburn hair shining in the fast dimming sunlight. “Where will it take place, I wonder?”

Daun led her further into the trees. “What is important is that we find a place to wait before the moon rises.”

The two teens slipped farther into the grove behind a small shrub. Daun brought out a thin blanket they could sit on, and Aria pulled out a wrapped package from her bag.

“Sister Janaline makes the best nutbread… and here’s some goat cheese and cashews” She unwrapped the simple fare to share with Daun. The two ate silently at first, and then began sharing their own news. Aria spoke of all the visitors to the temple and the market. Daun recounted his studies and the people he met as he journeyed between the monastery and Silverymoon.

“And father says I am to finish my studies soon, and must decide if I am to join the brotherhood,” said Daun between bites. “I think I will. Lathander is my guiding light.”

Aria listened distractedly to Daun share his thoughts on entering adulthood and began pondering her own future. She did not think she would be joining the sisters at the Temple, but where would she go?

Daun nudged her leg with his own foot.”What?”

He chuckled. “ I asked you - why unicorns? The temple of Seven Stars is to Selune, is it not?”

Aria smiled. “Aye. But… you know my charm?” She pulled a small pendant from her tunic, a small unicron head. “
“‘Twas the only thing on me besides my clothes when I was found by the Riders of Nesmé.” She shrugged. “I suppose I always wanted something magical to happen to me, like my parents coming to find me.“

She sighed. “Perhaps my parents were followers of Mielikki or Lurue. Or perhaps they just liked unicorns.” She bit into a large piece of bread and chewed thoughtfully.

Daun let the silence settle for a few minutes.

He began clearing the crumbs left of their meal. “Well, the Moonmistress is bound to start the ceremony soon. Let’s choose a strong tree.”

A few minutes later, Daun pulled himself up into the branches to perch beside Aria in a dense patch of leaves and vines. “Now we wait and see if Mielikki will appear this night.”

Daun tapped Aria’s shoulder. “They’re here!” he hissed.

Aria’s eyes popped open and she peered over to the small altar just a stone’s throw away. Gossamer veils and white robes swayed in the moonlight. Soft chanting floated in the air and a figure waved graceful hands in a ritual.

Aria held her breath and peered all around the Grove of Mielikki. No hoofbeats… no silver horn thrusting through the trees. She leaned out from the branch in a desperate effort to spy a tiny glimpse.

The chanting rose slightly in volume and Aria was sure the moment was near. Straining to stretch her torso she leaned further out, lifting one hand to pull aside some leaves. “Is that -”

Her fall was swift and painful. Not able to breathe or move, Aria lay still in agony. A soft thump next to her signaled Daun’s more graceful descent.

Murmurs and gasps replaced the chanting. “Get up!” Daun hissed. Aria shook her head, and groaned as she sat up. Daun’s hands lifted her by the arms and began pulling her to the exit.

“Wait! Where are you going?!” confused voices queried as the two walked quickly and then began running out of the gates.

One acolyte gazed after them. ‘Why didn’t they just join us?”

The MoonMistress smiled and sighed. “This is not the first time the curious have tried to sneak a peek at Mielikki. Let us continue.”
She raised her arms and the chanting resumed.

Daun dragged a gasping Aria across the Moonbridge. Their headlong flight slowed until they reached one of the public buildings.

Climbing the gleaming white stairs to the rooftop patio, they laughingly lowered themselves onto the chairs.

“Are you okay?” Daun asked with concern.

Aria patted one side of her ribs. “I will be,” she moaned. “Oh, I’ve missed my chance! I have to wait another year for that ceremony!”

Daun chuckled. So, is that your only wish? To see a unicorn?”

Aria sat for a minute gazing at the full moon surrounded by a starlit sky. Carefree singing from a nearby gathering wafted on the breeze toward them. “ I think… I might like to be a singer. Yes. I like stories. And I like singing. Sister Jenaline says I have a pleasant voice. Even Brother Broadseat hums along when I sing during my chores.”

Daun watched her for a minute. Aria sighed. “But… I don’t know how I can attend the music college. I have no way to pay.”

Daun watched her. He thought of his cousin, and her friends in the city. A plan began to form in his mind.

Daun’s lips curled into a gentle smile. His gaze lingered on the face he knew so well.

The Trackless Sea

Aria laughed. “ I was so bruised the next day, and I couldn't tell Sister Jenaline why!”

Dame Bradbodam snickered. “Ah, to be young! Such wonderful stories you tell, Miss Aria. And now you can go see about your fine young Daun.”

Aria snapped her body alert, listening for the storm. The ship rocked gently in the calm waters.

“Oh! The storm is over!” Tossing the blankets aside and dropping the mug to the cabin floor, Aria leapt from the flour sacks and opened the door.

“Daun?” her voice disappeared with her footsteps up the stairwell.

Dame Bradbodam leaned her head back to rest. They should reach Skal soon.

chocolatelover

Sun and Moon - 3 - Arriving in Skal and Dreams

Post by chocolatelover » Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:03 pm

Skal

Aria set her bag down on the floor and stretched out on the bed. She was exhausted after a day of rat killing and herb picking. Daun had gone out to the Weald to get some hides to sell, but Aria just wanted to rest.

They had not been in Skal but a few days. After signing a contract with the mayor, they completed their first writ. They still did not have enough gold to rent a room, but the Longhouse had this free room for the first person who took it. Daun said he could rest in the common room on one of the cots. But Aria knew, he was also very interested in that Artificer Tower on top of the hill.

Aria closed her eyes and thought about the tower and what might be inside of it.. The tower rose high into the blue sky over Skaljard Village. She imagined tilting her head back to see the top of the tower, her eyes rolling up in exhaustion as she fell into sleep.

—-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hands. Tugging. Grasping.

A blue vial falling, spinning in slow motion toward a carpeted floor.
“You can’t!”

“It’s mine!”

“He’ll die!”

A shockwave of sound.

Her body pulled in opposite directions. A tug of war with her as the rope.

Darkness.

—-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
?

Aria stood on the dock. “Huh? Am I reliving docking at Skal?”

No. There was no biting cold. No snow.

Green. Open.

Aria turned a circle slowly. A small port. Another ship, More buildings than Skal.
She slowly walked toward one of the buildings. A shop, perhaps?

Guards. Not frontier watchmen, but actual armored guards.

She looked at a gravel road. In one direction it led past a wooden fence to a forested area. IAnd the other? Toward a walled city.

Aria slowly walked toward the walls. ‘What sort of dream is this?’ she wondered.

Small temporary stalls and a town crier. A tenement building. Music.

Aria turned her head. The two-story building appeared to be a tavern. She stepped inside.

An onslaught of music and smoke. Aromas of roasting pork and ale. Aria’s stomach growled.
“I’ve never dreamed of being hungry before,” she thought as she stepped up to the bar.

The bartender firmly told her, “You don’t have enough gold to purchase that.” Aria blinked in confusion as her stomach rumbled again. This hunger feels so real!

She wandered around one of the corners. An empty room with a bed. “Perhaps if I sleep in my dream, I will wake up.” She closed the door and felt in her bag for some food rations she and Daun had bought. Nibbling on the dried meat. she pondered where this dream city had come into her thoughts. It clearly wasn’t Silverymoon, Waterdeep, or Skaljard village. She didn’t recognize the accents she had heard or the uniforms on the guards. “What a strange dream,” she thought, and lay down to rest.
—-------------------------------------------

Aria woke to loud revelry and music. They are always so loud here in the Longhouse, she thought. But as she sat up, she realized the room was not the room on Skal. She rubbed her eyes and scooted off the bed and gently opened the door.

It was the same tavern but filled with a larger crowd. Aria walked around the bar a bit. Three dwarves drank and laughed loudly at one table, slamming their mugs down after jokes. The bartender asked if she wanted a drink, but Aria merely shook her head.

“Hey, lassie! Where did you get that pink hair?” joked one drunken sailor.

His companion guffawed. “‘Tis more purple!” Laughter erupted from several onlookers.

Aria walked quickly out the front door and paused as she realized night had fallen. That is when she noticed the blue glowing lights on several stone posts and atop taller buildings. She walked nearer one such tower and could hear a faint hum. She was unsure if the blue lights were reassuring or threatening.

Wandering through the town's front gates, Aria found the same blue lights on even more rooftops. Guards, nobles, and craftsmen all bustled about the simple square. She wandered through several streets until she realized she was hungry again. Perhaps she could find something to sell.

“Excuse me, “ she asked a passing stranger. “Are there any fields nearby where I may pick some herbs?”

“The farms are out that gate,” he pointed without pausing or even looking at her. Aria turned to see a gate with two guards, much like the front gates. She hurried outside to see what she could gather.

The blue glow over the fields made Aria feel better about stepping out at night. She heard the gentle lowing of cows and the soft clucking of chickens. A water wheel turned lazily in a creek.

Aria went towards some plants and began harvesting berries and leaves. The night was cool but her cloak kept her warm enough. She moved into another area of the fields and noticed cotton near some oxen. Aria bent to pick the cotton, thinking she could sell it for extra gold. She began to hum quietly as she often did when thinking. She almost didn’t notice the sudden chill in the air, but the wailing woke her from her reverie. As she turned she saw a spirit floating towards her! Back through the gates, she ran, two specters close behind her.

Aria ran through the gates as a ghostly hand grabbed at her arm sending biting cold down the limb. The two guards leapt into action. Quickly dispatching the shades. “Are you daft, girl?! Don’t go outside the city at night if you are not able to handle yourself!”

Aria sobbed as she ran back through the streets toward the tavern and its quiet room.

Aria knelt before the altar as she had done many times.. “Blessed Lurue, please help me find Daun, Bring him here, or me to him. I’ve saved as much gold as I can, but the ships will not take me for months. They say it’s too dangerous in winter.”

Aria sighed, She had managed to make some gold, collecting herbs and things to sell, even climbing down into the sewers to kill a few rats. Many people had kindly listened to her story, but always laughed when she told them she had fallen asleep in Skal, but awoken here. She had crept through the city keeping to herself as much as possible, only talking to people when absolutely necessary. Aria kept thinking this must be a dream, but she had never had a dream like this!

“Go now.” Yes, Aria wanted to go -

“Go now.” Aria’s eyes opened. She quickly looked around the building to see if someone had spoken to her, but realized the echo of the voice was in her head.

“Now. Go north. Move.” Aria stood up and asked a nearby guard for directions. He pointed toward the front gates.

Aria didn’t know what to expect or why she trusted this disembodied entity to send her on another journey. She walked down the road past the outer shops and to the guarded fence. She had not been past this fence since… since she arrived here.

Aria stepped outside the city boundary and walked to the crossroads. Then she saw a white-robed figure, beckoning her closer. Heart pounding she walked toward the person cautiously. A hand rose and pointed toward an area of light in the trees. Aria looked back to the figure curiously, but the hand stabbed at the light again. Gingerly, Aria stepped through the grass and into the light.

Coolness. A gentle tugging in her core. As Aria stepped back she felt … connected to the beam of light.

She turned back to the figure who beckoned her forward again. The person waved their hands, muttering some unintelligible words, as a circle of intense light appeared on the ground.

Holding a hand out to signify stopping, the person made it clear that Aria should not step into the light but stay put. The figure pointed to itself, made a beckoning motion with fingers, and then pointed to Aria. Then the figure stepped into the light and disappeared. Stunned, Aria stood rooted to the spot but soon felt a tickling in her middle. She realized she could fight the sensation or surrender to it. Closing her eyes, she relaxed and felt the tickling grow into a tugging.

Suddenly the tugging stopped and Aria opened her ears to see a tropical beach. Palm trees and gulls. A haphazard boat. Two cabins. The figure was there pointing at another glow of light. Aria stepped to the light again, feeling the coolness and the feeling of connection.

The figure beckoned her to follow and Aria walked along the jungle beach wondering how the white robes stayed so clean. Past a caravan and a jungle, they walked until they came to some small buildings on a square pier. She followed the figure out to a boat where the robed one stopped and held out a hand. Aria glanced down and held out her own hand to catch several gold coins. “What?” but the figure then pointed at the captain of the nearby ship.

Aria stepped towards the captain and offered the gold. “Aye, I can take you,” the gruff voice said and immediately yelled orders to set the sails. Aria turned to see the robed figure doing the same motions as before until another circle of light appeared on the ground, and the figure stepped through.

The voyage wasn’t but a few hours and Aria enjoyed being out on the water away from cities and crowds. The crew ignored her so she sat by the railing and watched the waves wondering where this journey was taking her. She threw some extra bread that she had at some gulls and watched an escort of dolphins.

Before long, she spotted an island and watched as the sailors ran about changing the sails. As the ship neared port, Aria noticed the palm trees and realized this island had more of a desert appearance. Her eyes took in the palm trees and distant walls.

Walking off the ship, Aira saw the robed figure again, beckoning her to another glow of light, this time in the middle of finely carved pillars.

As she stepped out of the light, the robed one repeated the chant and hand motions and stepped once more into the intense beam of light. And again, Aria closed her eyes when the tickling began in her middle.

This time, as her eyes opened, she saw….snow. All white. Conifer trees. The robed figure pointed down the short hill and toward… a village? Aria walked along the frozen shore but accelerated as she saw the back of some familiar buildings

Aria ran up a short hill. Was that the Trade Hall? She turned toward a lone altar and saw a familiar figure. “Daun!” she yelled, running.

Daun barely managed to stand and turn as Aria barreled into him and then they were hugging. She clung to him as a drowning woman might in a storm-tossed sea. Crying and laughing, Aria exclaimed her happiness at finding him, while Daun held her close and patted her hair, occasionally wiping away the tears that continued to spill. His lips brushed her ear. “It’s alright. You’re here. And I will never stop watching you.”

—------------------------------------------—--------------------------------------------
SKAL

Aria slept for hours in the room at the Longhouse. Daun watched over her the entire time, listening to her breathe.

Aria awoke and looked around the room, relief flooding her face. ‘Oh!” I’m back!”

“Back from sleep, Aria? YOu must have had quite a dream.” Daun queried. “Let’s go get some food and sit by the fire. Aria looked at him slightly confused, but her stomach prompted her to follow quickly. Into the common room.

Later, as they sat by the firepit. Aria realized that she knew none of the other people there, but Daun seemed well acquainted with many of them.
As she went to the well to get some water, she overheard Daun talking with a friendly woman, one of the village merchants. Aria slowly walked near them, pretending to search the community charity barrel for food rations and bandages.

“Oh, Daun. Your prayers worked and your Aria has already made it here from the Sword Coast. That was fast.”

“It is indeed. I am glad her ship encountered no problems.”

The woman turned to her business partner. “This is the monk I told you about. He’s the one that spent hours a day at that altar praying. When he wasn’t coming back from the Ghostwood all bloody.”

Aria stood bewildered. Why was Daun telling people she came on a separate ship? Perhaps he also encountered disbelief and guffaws when trying to explain to people that Aria had just disappeared. Perhaps this way was better.

Noticing the moon high in the sky, Aria went up the hill to pray. As she offered thanks to Lurue and asked protection for Daun, she suddenly thought. “Who was that robed figure?!”

Aria could swear she heard the faintest bell-like laughter in the air.

chocolatelover

Re: Sun and Moon

Post by chocolatelover » Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:29 pm

Skaljard Village Life

Aria watched as Daun headed to the Longhouse to sell hides and meat. She trudged up the hill and joined the long line for the quartermaster. Aria hefted her bags uncomfortably and dug through them trying to determine what to sell and what to keep. Some of the potions were worthwhile, some raw gems she could crack, perhaps this wand was worth something?

“Do it”, the voice softly growled in her head.

Aria blinked and looked around.

”Do it,” the voice rumbled a bit louder.

Aria felt as though she were in a dream as her hands lifted, her lips uttered a chant, and fire shot from her palms. The Quartermaster fell back only slightly wounded. And then raised her club.

“Do it”, growled a voice.

Darkness.

“Aria! Aria!” She came back to consciousness on the cold ground by the shrine with Daun and a halfling standing over her.

Blinking, she slowly sat up, holding her head.

“What? Where” Why does my head –”

”Why did you do that?” the halfling asked.

Aria looked at him in confusion. “Do what?”

“You attacked the Quartermaster!”

Aria blinked again. “ I .. that doesn’t sound like me… what would I do that?”

The halfling and Daun helped her to her feet as she brushed off snow and ice.

When Aria looked up, she thought she saw Daun mouthing something to the halfling, but he only smiled at her and said, “Feeling better?’ Before Aria could reply he led her back to her room in the Lodge.

“You need rest, “ Daun said. I’ll go grab you some dinner.

Aria lay on the bed. Had she attacked someone? The idea seemed preposterous. She slowly raised her hands and looked at them. Why, then, could she imagine them with blood?

Aria finished setting up the temporary shop with various potions and oils to find Daun at her side. “Oh! You always sneak up on me!’ she laughed. Should we take a walk after dinner? I can’t go too far away with the shop open.”

Daun took Aria by the arm and led her toward the village firepit. He stopped in front of a young man. “Aria, I would like you to meet Max.”

The young man stood up with an affable smile. He shook hands with Aria, and she noticed his large cordial eyes and dark brown hair that lay perfectly in place.
“Nice to meet you, Aria. Anyone who is a friend of Daun’s is a friend of mine.”

Returning his handshake, Aria sputtered out, “Oh, well, it is nice to meet you, er, Max?”

Daun grinned. “Let me tell you how I met Max”

Aria chose a comfortable seat by the fire and settled in. She accepted a proffered cup of hot cider from a nearby dwarf and listened to Daun and Max tell their story of meeting.\\

“So, as I’m in the Weald hunting, and he asks where the cave is, I took him to the nearest cave.” Daun explained.

Max took over. “You know the cave… troglodytes, goblins.. Hook horrors/” Many around the fire nodded sagely.

“So I‘m about to head back to town with my pelts when this guy,” he indicates Max with a bent thumb, “comes stumbling in a halting run…troglodytes and spiders after him. Bleeding, but turning to fight every few steps.”

Max was laughing at this point. “My head was bleeding. I think I had a concussion!”

Daun picked up again. “So, I fought off the hordes of trogs and spiders and goblins and brought Max back here to patch him up.” One of the dwarves interjected. “That cave must’ve been too much fer you, boy. Should nae ha’ taken that contract without getting some companions \ to fight wit ye.”

Daun and Max looked at each other and broke into laughter. “I didn’t take that contract!” said Max.

“In my defense, it was the nearest cave,” Daun protested. Noticing the confusion on many faces, Daun added. “He was looking for the Founder’s Cave.” Eyebrows raised in understanding as dwarves and others burst into guffaws. “Yer lucky ye exited that cave in one piece!” shouted one. “I think he may have left some tiny pieces in there!” shouted another.

As the laughter and stories continued, Aria snuggled back into the chair enjoying the warmth of the fire in stark contrast to the evening chill. She liked Skal. The harsh environment belied a beauty with its endless tundra, green weald, and perilous mountainsides. The villagers were welcoming, mostly.

There was very little law present in Skal, and it was obvious that many people here were outcasts or of dubious moral standing. She had seen Banites, Necromancers, and even slavers. The only laws present seemed to be Don’t Get Caught and Travel With Friends. No one taunted Aria about her hair but even referred to her as the Pink-Haired Girl. She sighed in contentment. Life was good.

“And I’m telling you there is a murderer abouts! He’s already murdered three minstrels.” Aria paused in her morning chores as she overheard the gossip by the village fire. ‘He lures them out of town, he does, and then kills them.”

“Go on, wid ye! Do you have any proof!”

“Well, they hain’t been seen! And there were a pool of blood in the forest.” Aria watched as several of the gossipers retreated to the Longhouse.

She added her herbs to the village cauldron and slowly stirred. She checked her recipe book a few times before ladling some liquid into some vials. The halfling that had brought her back to consciousness after her supposed attack on the Quartermaster had been showing her how to make potions. Aria wondered if that might come in useful someday.

Some commotion behind her attracted her attention. Two halflings were yelling at a young man, dressed in clothing more appropriate for a city by the fire. He had rather flamboyantly colored stockings tucked into pointy shoes, and a neat doublet with high collar.

“Where is our friend! He went with you out to the woods and didn’t return.”

“Me?” The youth pointed to himself in what was clearly feigned innocence. “I merely showed him out to the Weald where I asked him to sing.” His expression changed. “I did not enjoy his voice.”

“What did ye do to him, ye daft varlot!”

The dandy pulled a bag out from his doublet. “Here, I have something of his.” He held out the bag.

The two hin leaned forward and peered into the bag before shouting and cursing. “Ye murderer! Yer evil incarnate! We’ll go get some authorities to arrest you!” and ran off to the Longhouse. Screaming as they fled

Aria stood transfixed as the youth approached her. “Would you like to see?” He thrust the bag at her.
“Look!” grumbled the voice in her head!
“Turn away!” whispered a silvery voice.

Aria looked down. Disgust filled her and bile rose into her mouth.

Tongues. The bag had tongues in it.

“These are not silver. “ he took the bag back. I always thought minstrel tongues were silver. I am so disappointed.” A crooked smirk filled his face as he took a step toward her.

“Kill him!” one voice grumbled.
“Sing!“ chimed the higher voice.

Aria didn’t hesitate. She raised her arms and let out a high pitched note that rang out across the village.

In shock, she watched the dandy cover his ears and wince in pain. “Stop it! Stop that music!” he wailed. And before she could react, he ran out of the village.

The two halflings and several others poured out of the Longhouse. “That way,” Aria pointed. “His bag. Full of… tongues.” She swallowed. Many of the villagers gave chase while Aria simply wanted to find a deep tub and some hot water. Skaljard wasn’t as quiet as it had been.

The local murderer was caught and punished numerous times. He would lie quiet for a few weeks and then return to catch more unsuspecting adventurers. Aria took it upon herself to warn every newcomer about him, even when they looked at her with disbelief or concern.

Seasons came and went on Skal, the spring was still cold if not slightly muddier. Aria sadly said goodbye to her halfling friend who had stated he needed to head for Bendir Dale to find his family. She promised if she ever found Bendir Dale she would look for him.

Aria’s expertise in brewing potions and other herbal products grew until she eventually started selling her wares whenever she could get an open stall in the village square. So while Daun studied the musty tomes in the Artificer’s Tower or wandered the tundra, she gathered herbs and sundry items and paid for their rooms at the village Lodge.

The days blurred together as Aria harvested, brewed, and bottled her tonics. She was ready to move on, but Daun still seemed to be searching for something in particular.

Max had also left the island in search of the Radiant Heart Chapter, and they promised to seek him out if they could. She remembered standing behind Daun as he waved at Max’s ship, mumbling something about tomes and astrology charts and the Radiant Heart library. She shrugged. Daun’s research for his father had something to do with demons, a topic she wasn’t particularly interested in. She returned to her brewing.

“You’re done here?” she asked incredulously.

“Yes, my research takes us now to the larger island, Arelith.”

“:Well let’s go celebrate. How about some stew for dinner?

Walking into the village's square, Aria snapped her head to attention.

“There he is!” she hissed at Daun, pointing to the rather bedraggled youth by the well. “ I think he’s trying to lure more out of the village!”

“Stop! Don't listen to him!” Aria ran towards the three by the well waving her hands.’ He’s the murderer!” The couple looked in alarm at the dandy and backed off.

The thug turned in a huff toward her. “Trying to ruin my fun?! Perhaps I should collect your tongue!” He took a giant step toward her.

Aria raised her arms and sang that perfect note again, expecting the same reaction as before. This time, the enraged youth drew his sword and swung! Aria stumbled backward in terror. She dodged the blade once, twice, finally tripping over a barrel and falling backward onto the icy ground. Her eyes widened as he raised his sword. She closed her eyes and said a prayer to Lurue.

His countenance quickly shifted from frenzy to bewildered. His entire body slowly crumpled to the ground.

Aria looked up to see Daun, his fist still poised in the air where the killer’s head had been. ”I … he… last time he ran…”, she gasped out.

“:Are you alright?” Daun lent his hand to her. Aria stood and controlled her urge to crumble against him.

“ I don’t think I will miss this! Perhaps the larger island is more civilized!” said Aria. glancing at the limp body on the ground.

Daun smiled weakly. “I’m sure we will be plenty safe in those large cities. Now, let’s eat, and discuss packing.”

chocolatelover

Re: Sun and Moon -5 Guldorand

Post by chocolatelover » Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:54 pm

Guldorand - The Fortress City
The Eagle Tavern

Aria looked at the words on the parchment and sighed. An anthem should rouse people to stand tall with pride, but Aria was finding it difficult to pen such a worthy choral piece when she was so new to the city.

She looked out the window at the town square bathed in moonlight. Daun was out there, somewhere, gathering pelts to sell to keep them financed. Aria was having only minor luck selling her wares in the temporary stalls. Now she was burdened with carrying her wares back to her room in The Eagle every night. She worried about making a living here. If Daun was always out hinting just to support them, when would he have to do his research?

Daun did not go too far out of the city. They both were rather shocked at the difficulty in traversing the surrounding hills. Many times, Daun returned with wounds that Aria dutifully cleaned and bound, but she hid her concerns. They needed to find a way to survive here, or they may as well jump on a ship back to the mainland.

Aria turned back to the parchment. She thought back to her meeting with the High Sheriff and the Lord Marshall. She had come upon them in the square and they had graciously invited her to a brief meeting to discuss the Guldorand anthem contest

A House in the Freeport

“And though the city was founded by two different nations, we strive to ensure peace for everyone, “ said the diminutive Sheriff, her expression calm and regal. “Though, it can be rather difficult to govern half a city that can sometimes be at odds with its other half.”

Aria blurted, “I feel a bit like this city!” At the High Sheriff’s puzzled look, she gestured to her ears. Her ear tips revealed her half-elven heritage, which Aria had discovered immediately garnered attention from other elves here. She had never heard the term ‘kinswoman” used so often. On only two occasions someone had blatantly shown disdain for her based solely on her heritage.

A smile and melodic laugh. “Well, then you do understand. Guldorand is two cities in one, or, some suggest, three considering the Freeport is free of taxation and most restrictions. But, the Founder’s Charter is a promise, a promise of peace and freedom to all who come here. And I intend to uphold that promise.”

Aria looked from the petite Sheriff to the reserved Lord Marshall and their imposing Lieutenant behind them. “A promise, ‘ she murmured.
Aria looked at the gaps in the lyrics on the paper. “A promise to all,’ she murmured and she set her quill down.

She looked over the lyrics one last time.

Oh, Guldorand!

And did our forebears lay the stone
'pon which we build our daily lives,
And did their toil and steadfast goals.
Ensure their future kin survives.

Though separate people gathered here
Our compact strengthened by virtue of will
For truth, for freedom, a promise to all,
This beacon of hope, Oh, Guldorand!

We stand upon this Eastern shore
A watchtower to those who yearn for peace
A guidepost bright, beheld by all,
Assurance that darkness will cease!

We will not shirk our duty here
To safeguard freedom through the land,
A life of hope and liberty,
A promise to all, Oh, Guldorand!

Aria pursed her lips for a second with her eyes closed. It would have to do. She rolled up the parchment and tied it with a ribbon.

—---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guldorand - Several days later

Aria set the last potion into the temporary stall and checked the prices. She wasn’t making a fortune, but at least she could cover the rent for the quarter.

She turned and saw a familiar face. Chestnut hair moved by the morning breeze, Max smiles at her. “Aria!” he held out his hands.

“Oh, Max! It is so good to see someone I know.” The two chatted for a while about what they had each been up to when Max suggested he take Aria around Arelith by boat so she could attune to portals and have a way to leave the city until she and Daun built up their martial expertise and could brave the wilds outside the fortress city together.

Aria ran to grab some coins from the Counting House and followed Max first to the monastery, and then down to the docks.

What followed was a frantic tour of cities and ports that Aria prayed she would be able to remember so she could repeat the journey with Daun.

She frantically climbed the hills to reach the Golden Halls in Brogendenstein only to hasten after Max to the portal outside “Nae running, lassie!” She wondered if she should have asked Max to take her on this tour when he had more time.

Max only had time to point at places and proclaim factoids. “Sell your scrolls there. Sell your jewelry there. Don’t get off the boat here. Talk to this captain.”

Finally, she stumbled off the ferry boat at the Cordor outskirts and froze.

The smells, sounds of the small port, the blue lights on the stone columns. Her dry mouth opened, but no sound came out.

Her dream. How could she possibly be in this city that she saw in a dream? Her heart raced as she turned to look around. Did it really look like this? Yes, the building of shops…the outdoor stalls… the other ship…

“Aria! This way!” Max gestured for her to follow him outside the town limits to catch another ley point.

Aria followed numbly, recognizing the fence, the stable, and the shimmering lights. She dutifully stepped into the lights, realizing with dread that she did not feel that new belonging feeling that she experienced at the other destinations.

Had she really been here, following that robed figure?

Max almost left her behind as Aria snapped to and stumbled after him.

As she passed the tavern another memory struck.

Grasping hands. A scream.

A shockwave of sound.

Aria stopped briefly outside the tavern almost wanting to go inside, and terrified that she already knew what it looked like.

Max looked briefly at Aria in concern. “Are you okay?”

Aria swallowed and shook her head. “N..no. I .. I just wish I had more time to explore.”

“Well, you can bring Daun on the same route and spend as much time as you like.” He took her by the arm. “Let me show you this last portal, ‘ he said as he gently pulled her into the city. “ I need to go somewhere else, the Radiant Heart, but I will see you again in Guldorand.” He continued to pull her through the city pointing out various locations. The Market, the Message Board, the back entrance to the tavern.”

He stopped at the Portal. “You can make it back into the city from the Monastery, yes?” Aria nodded silently.
“I need to go. See you soon.” And he stepped into the light.

—---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guldorand - A room in The Eagle Tavern

“But Daun, that is the city from my dream! How did I dream about a city I’ve never been in?”

Daun took Aria gently by the shoulders. “Remember you overheard all those stories on the ship about many places on Arelith. You just put those stories together.”

Aria stammered a bit, but then relaxed into his embrace. Somehow Daun’s presence always made things better. He always took care of her. Dreaming about the stories she had heard. That must be it.

Daun held her close, seemingly calm, but his eyes steeled as he gazed at the edge of a parchment in his pack. He needed to speed up his research.

chocolatelover

Re: Sun and Moon 6 - The Proposal

Post by chocolatelover » Fri Jul 14, 2023 2:56 pm

Guldorand - The Fortress City
City Square in the evening

Finishing her city watch patrol, Aria came upon the group near the firepit in the town square. She tried listening to the conversation, which seemed to involve rats on sticks. Unsure if the rat talk was some sort of jest or a new food fad, Aria sat and listened to the revelers tease each other.

“You always smell like blood, Johnny.”

:Well, your breath has a definite ratty quality.”:

“As if you know what rats smell like!”

“Just stand close to someone!”

Guffaws. Laughter. It was just a pleasant evening in the city after all.

Sitting on the bench with her back against the tree, Aria almost didn’t hear the question.

"Why is your hair pink?”

Aria blinked for a second. The young woman seemed genuinely curious, unlike many others who had flung barbs at her. She paused. “ It was… an alchemy experiment”, she smirked.

Ravn turned her head. “But you’re an herbalist.”

Aria shrugged. * I wasn’t even that at the time.” Ravn looked at her curiously.
“I was at the School of Music in Silverymoon.’

“You went to a music school? A bardic college?”

”I did. It was quite the surprise. As an orphan I hadn’t even thought about attending such a school.” Aria pursed her lips.” Though, I did occasionally sing with groups on street corners and at small parties around the city.” She smiled and her eyes took on the look of someone reaching far back into her memories.

“I remember being so surprised when Sister Jemmaline escorted Master Tippleleaf into the kitchens. I had been hiding there as the day before… well, I had bumped into Brother Broadseat’s desk as he was finishing a manuscript and sent ink flooding everywhere. ‘

She frowned. Completely missing the knowing looks that were shared from person to person around the fire.
“He was not pleased with me at all, and Sister Jemmaline suggested I spend the day cleaning the kitchens and perhaps preparing his favorite meal.and tea.”

“ So there I was steeping Calimshan tea and trying to make his favorite goat’s milk pie when in comes Sister Jemmaline with this little gnome, all dressed in purple robes.” She stopped and giggled. “Master Tipplelef told me that an anonymous patron had funded my education at the college! I was … shocked. But Brother Broadseat and Sister Jemmaline were very enthusiastic and helped me pack straight away.” More smiles and side eyes.

Ravn tilted her head. “So, how did this lead to the pink hair?”

Aria sighed. “Well,” she paused as she noticed Daun looking through some wares across the square. “I, er, sometimes was late to class, or didn’t get my assignments done, because I was often out roaming the city with Daun.” She glanced at Ravn. ‘Oh, not all the time, of course. Daun could only come to town once a month or so, but sometimes I just wanted to visit friends down at the market or visit Mielikki’s Grove.” She paused and rolled her eyes a bit.” Master Tipplelead always chided me for my tardiness and my appearance.”

She cleared her throat and stretched her neck out and in a high-pitched voice recited, “Miss Aspenleaf, it is not appropriate for a music student to be running through the city like a hunted rabbit or climbing trees like a wild squirrel. It is not DIGnified “ Aria’s facial expressions as she mimicked a clearly wizened gnome sent some of the others into gales of laughter and comments. “He needs a rat on a stick!”

Aria smiled and continued. “ So, one day one of the older girls, Cerissa, told me that if my hair would only stay straight he wouldn’t know I’d been running about. She said it was always my hair that gave me away.” Aria blew a strand of pink hair out of her face. “ My hair was curlier then,” she mused.

Ravn leaned forward to listen. “So, I asked Cerissa how I could get my hair to stay straight all the time, like hers, and she told me she had a recipe for an essence that would fix it.” Airia gave a sad smile. “I don’t know why I listened to her. Cerissa never had been very nice to me, and we usually auditioned for the same parts in musical productions., but…”

“You wanted it to be true,’ someone suggested.

”Yes. I suppose I did.” Aria began twirling a strand of hair. “So the next day, Cerissa hands me this paper with all sorts of ingredients on it: a raven feather… fen berries…amethyst dust… yeti hair.” She sighed. “I told Cerisssa I didn’t know how to find these things, but she just shrugged and told me I should look around.”

Aria gave a lopsided smile. “It’s so easy to look back and see how she tricked me. How often does someone pass you in the hall and happen to mention that Master Tuppleleaf uses a raven feather as a bookmark in his music scores? Or you just find fen berries mixed in with the other fruit at the dining table? I don't even know that they were fen berries, but someone else said they were.” She looked around at everyone and blushed. “I feel like such a fool, now, but.. I just wanted to be able to have my fun and not get into trouble. And I had always wanted straight hair.”

“So, I found all the ingredients and one night crept down into the kitchen to brew it all together. Then I had to wait until the new moon to apply it.” She glanced around. " The instructions were quite specific about the time and words to say..." A single tear threatened to spill down her cheek. “So foolish. And once Cerissa and her friends began laughing at me, I realized what a complete and utter fool I had been.”

She gazed down at her hands, but kept talking. “ Master Tipplelead sent for apprentices and then full masters from the school of magic, but no one could reverse what I had done. I didn’t tell them where I had gotten the recipe, though, I think the teachers knew. But there was nothing to be done to return my hair to its natural auburn curls.”

The group was respectfully quiet at least. Aria took a deep breath and continued.

“So, I spent several days in my favorite practice room, crying.” She looked around again. “I didn’t go to class for several days and even forgot that it was near time for Daun to visit.”

She glanced up and noticed that Daun had come to stand on the edge of the group, a smile on his face, mixed with the barest hint of concern. “And that is where he found me. My eyes and face red from crying, starving since I had only brought some bread up with me, and exhausted. And this is when I knew…”

Aria stood and slowly walked over to Daun. “He held me while I told him the whole story, and then, he put a finger under my chin, and said he thought my hair was beautiful. That it reminded him of candlelight through a decanter of elderberry wine, or the deepest colors of a sunset. “ She put one hand on his chest. “And that is when I knew I would follow this man anywhere.” Aria put her head against his chest, and Daun wrapped his arms around her.

“Say something, man!” ordered Johnny.
"This explains so much," whispered Ravn.

Daun looked down at Aria, and smiled. “You know I love you, don’t you?”
Aria breathed in a gasp. “Yes.. I do, but.. You never… said it.”

“You’re just going to leave it at that?! More hoots and hollers erupted from the group and Aria suddenly became uncomfortable with the audience. “Let’s go somewhere else,“ Daun suggested. Aria nodded and they wandered out the front gate.

Soulhaven Monastery Gardens

“Marry? You want to marry me? Aria looked up at Daun. “I’ve been hoping, but you never said..I… I …yes, I will!”

Daun smiled. “You’re not worried I’m asking under duress, are you.” Aria shook her head. “The others aren’t here. This is me, asking you to stay with me forever.” The moment stretched out as fireflies flew lazily about them.

“But you know I’m researching… for my father, and I .. I just wanted to be done with that.. before...” Daun let the thought hang.

“Oh! Of course… I know you’re busy… and we would need time to plan…. But.. perhaps we should look for quarters for two?” She asked shyly,

Daun and Aria wandered the gardens hand in hand under the moonlight, watching the fireflies play and gazing at the peaceful flora. They talked and laughed, recalling their earliest adventures together.

“If you hadn‘t run into me in the market -”
”You ran into me!”
“We ran into each other..”

They both laughed. Aria looked around at the terraced gardens at the edge of the garden. “Daun. Look around. Isn’t this place perfect… for a wedding?”

Daun perused the garden with its stairsteps and trellises and the sparkling of stars in the sky. "It is perfect…but… I think it must be a daytime wedding.”

‘Daytime…nighttime… I think it will look beautiful either way.!”

Aria continued to chatter happily about weddings and feasts while Daun continued his thought.: Yes…the sky was open and visible over here… perfect for..

“And I suppose I need to ask the monks if it’s okay to wed here… and we’’ll have to find a priest or priestess to bind us. I’m sure Max will help us. Daun? What do you think?”

Daun smiled. “I think it all sounds perfect. I will let you know the perfect date.”
Aria smiled. “I cannot wait. I mean, I can... And I will. Because I know you will choose the perfect day for us.” Aria lifted up on her toes to kiss Daun.

A few days later
The Eagle Tavern

Daun carefully surveyed the room to ensure he had not forgotten any of their belongings. Aria was already moving into the house she had found on South Street, a cozy three-story house that was the perfect size for just the two of them.

As Daun checked under the furniture for any dropped items, he saw the edge of an old news posting. He gingerly pulled the paper out as it would crumble if he mistreated it. As he unfolded the gazette, various announcements from Waterdeep,, Neverwinter, and Luskan all vied for attention. Daun glanced down at one small paragraph in the corner.

SUSPICIOUS DEATH IN SILVERYMOON

M Halstone, the renowned musical playwright, has been found deceased in his apartments in SIlverymoon. It is unclear if his latest production will complete its run in Silverymoon or in any other cities. A memorial service will be announced soon, says a spokesperson from the SilveryMoon School of Music.

chocolatelover

Re: Sun and Moon 7-Evil Things

Post by chocolatelover » Fri Jul 14, 2023 4:43 pm

Guldorand, The Fortress City
City Square

“And that is how I escaped the vampire. Words only. No fighting. De-escalation is the key.” Arua finished up the training lecture.

“And a portal lens!” interjected the hin.

“Well, yes,” admitted Aria. “But first I had to get him distracted.” She shrugged. “People tend to underestimate me, and I guess I do give off a rather addle-brained sort of aura, but I use that! Each of you has a quality t you can use to distract people away from violence. Our job isn’t just to catch criminals. It is also to keep the peace.”

“Sometimes we have to use violence, to subdue or possibly to slay a criminal. But, not every situation needs physical violence.”

She tapped her chin. “Now, what would you do if you found two citizens arguing. say, about renting one of the temporary stalls?”

The hin immediately responded. ”Convince them another stall is better, such as the ones in the Freeport because they are not taxed.”

“Exactly! So, well done, recruits. You’ve, er, got my lecture on paper, and I think that wraps this up.” She slapped her hands together. “I’m going off duty. Let me know if you come across a situation that can be diffused before it becomes violent.” Aria walked away whistling, but inwardly cursing her superior for assigning her the duty of training others on de-escalation techniques.

She inhaled deeply as she recalled the underground lair, the stench of the vampire’s breath, and her sheer terror. Aria had learned long ago she could distract others with her rapid-fire queries. She also knew how to amplify her most naive qualities to placate any suspicions that she could plan any sort of escape or defense.

“Is that goblin like a Speedy Messenger? Are we underground?” Slowly rotating to catch every angle of the cavern and inch her hand into a pouch. “ How do the plants here grow without sunshine?”

Portal lenses were not completely reliable so Aria had silently beseeched Lurue for extra help as she twisted the device in her pocket. The familiar silvery tinkle of laughter and cool light had soothed her fears as she felt the tug in her innards. The cavern had faded and she found herself in the Soulhaven Monastery.

Daun had chided her for chasing the vampire into the swamp, but Aria pointed out he and the Cordor military captain had also given chase. “But Aria, “ Daun reiterated. “We had been at the Fool’s Clover. You weren’t wearing your armor… you were in a silk gown!”

Aria thought that only proved how well she had handled the situation.

A few weeks later

Aria wearily opened the door to her house and stepped inside. Ascending the stairs slowly as the bags of lead and clay threatened to pull her back down, she silently added up the supplies she had gathered with what she thought she had upstairs and concluded she had enough to make another batch of blue dye.

Approaching the storage cabinet, she began the process of unloading her travel bags and filling the bags kept inside the cabinet. Aria was very meticulous about her storage, keeping some herbs in one bag and other herbs in a separate bag. She sorted raw gems and dust into separate pouches, stacked coal and lead and clay into piles, and shoved sinew and silk into the hunting bags. She hummed as she worked, but a nagging sensation grew as she realized a presence behind her. A voice softly said something she paid no attention to. “That Daun!” she thought with amusement. “So silent on his feet and he thinks to surprise me.”
Aria closed the last bag, shut the cabinet door, and turned around with Daun’s name on her lips.

Green. Aria’s first thought was that Daun did not wear green and the hooded figure behind her was encompassed in a verdant cloak. “Ugh - “ she breathed out as a tugging sensation in her stomach became sharp agony. She realized the figure’s arms were moving quickly back and forth and she looked down.

Two blades. Blood. Her blood. “There’s a pool of blood on my floor, “ she thought as she crumpled.

—----------------------------------------

As consciousness returned to her mind and feeling permeated her body, she fluttered her eyes partially open. Aria groaned and used the sound to coincide with her hand stretching toward her belt pouch. It had worked once before…

She was immediately turned over and pinned down! Aria’s fingers frantically pawed at a smooth surface. “I hope that’s a lens!” she thought frantically.

"Should have listened, aye?" A boot pressed against her middle, and she felt his weight increasing on her. A familiar tugging in her middle began just as she felt a blade press toward her chest.

A cold, deep chuckle. A red glowing warmth.

“She’s mine!”

The tinkle of laughter, cool silver light driving away the Darkness,

“No. You can’t have her.”

A shockwave of sound.

Her body pulled in opposite directions. “I’m being pulled apart!”

Darkness.

Aria gasped. She was standing! She put her hand to her stomach and cautiously looked down.

Nothing. No blood. No stab wounds. Her clothing was intact. “What? Where?”

The Bendir Dale Trade route, just north of the Arcane Tower. Aria stumbled forward a few steps. Think! Where should she go?
Back to Guldorand. People may be in danger. Think! She needed to rest and make sure she was up for a fight.

At first walking slowly, and then more quickly, Aria arrived at the Tower and paused. She seemed completely unharmed and ready. But she took the time to cast magical wards on herself and summoned her Celestial Avenger. If only she had done that before.

Stepping out of the portal in Soulhaven she moved quickly toward the exit only to stumble into Daun.
“Daun!” she cried and barreled into him. “I was attacked! At the house!” Frantically Aria gave a brief description of the attack and they raced together into the city. Along the way, they yelled at the halfing Aria had trained.

Reaching the house, Daun and the hin raced inside and up the stairs. Aria hesitated as memory assaulted her.

Climbing the stairs full of dread, Aria stood at the doorway. Daun held up his hand. “Stop, Aria.” The hin frowned and looked between the floor on the other side of the table and Aria. “There’s a body here.”

Aria fluttered her eyes in confusion. “A body? But I didn’t fight back. I couldn’t. He ... He struck too fast.., I couldn’t sing.. I couldn’t raise my whip..” Her voice faded as she caught a glimpse of the mutilated corpse of a woman. With pink hair. “But… but I used a lens… I.. I made it to the Arcane Tower… my..my… wounds were gone.. I was f..f..fine.” her voice dwindled to a squeak.

The hin glanced at her and the remains. “Your goddess seems to gift you many boons. Perhaps she saved you once again. Or perhaps this body was just made to look like you. The face isn’t.. easily identifiable,” he said grimly.

Aria pressed her body against a wall and closed her eyes and the halfling constable questioned her gently for his report. Daun did his best to clean up the mess and took the remains out to the Kelemvor temple once the halfling was done with his investigation.

Aria and Daun sat in the monastery garden for several hours. Aria repeated her story, marveling at how part of her knew someone was behind her, but not consciously.

Daun continued to hold her close. “I should have returned to the city with you. I should have protected you. But, in truth Lurue saved you.”

Aria thought of the vision of grasping tugging hands. The cold chuckle and the tinkling laughter. Silvery cool light and glowing red heat.

Was it really Lurue who had saved her?

A month later.
South along the Bendir Dale Trade Route

Aria bent over the plants, pulling cotton and berries and stowing them in her pouches. She knew Daun would not approve of her gathering at night, but she was desperately low on supplies and her stocks were low in her store.

She continued down the path, occasionally bashing a goblin in the head or gathering salt. The night was cool and pleasant and Aria relaxed. Gathering herbs was very cathartic to her. The attack had been over a month ago, and she was still unable to sleep soundly.

She was almost to Cordor when she noticed various people running west into the woods. She thought she recognized a few from the Cordor guard. She glanced at her Avenger. It wouldn’t hurt to see if she could help out.

Picking up the pace, she trotted through the trees and shrubs into a clearing and skidded to a halt. Clearly at some standoff, various warriors stood at the ready, glowing with magical wards and bearing raised weapons. Without warning, attacks began all around!

Aria wasn’t even sure who was fighting whom, but her Avenger ran toward a figure with a sword raised! She started to protest but the forest was suddenly aflame. Aria was thrown off her feet as a fireball exploded nearby! Deafened and aching, she rolled to her side. She saw mouths yelling, but her ears were not working. Aria tried to determine whether she should flee or join the fray. Her choice was made for her when the sky began raining fire. Aria raised her gaze just in time to see a ball of flame racing toward her.

Aria found herself walking into the Arcane Tower in a stupor. She paused in confusion, Hadn’t she been gathering herbs and gems south of here?

Walking shakily around the foyer, she paused at the shops thinking perhaps she should sit down to rest. She walked around in a daze looking for a sofa or something to sit on.

As Aria stood gazing numbly at the panel, two figures entered and walked past her toward the portal. “Hello”, said Aria dreamily and walked towards some chairs near the door.

The female sun elf walked past first, clad in black. The male passed Aria, but it wasn’t until they echoed her greeting that her brain finally registered what her eyes had just seen. Drow!

She stumbled backward into a side room and summoned her Avenger. Her heart raced and her legs wobbled, but she ordered her Avenger to attack.

The two rushed forward and Aria began to cast a storm of Sunfire. The spell engaged but Aria almost fell over with the effort.

“Why did you attack us, fool!” the male rushed at her. Aria raised her whip and opened her mouth to sing, but his swing was faster. Her Avenger attacked the Drow but a piercing sound stunned Aria and his sword bore down on her.

chocolatelover

Re: Sun and Moon

Post by chocolatelover » Sat Jul 15, 2023 2:43 am

Underground - somewhere

Cold, hard floor. An aching head. Aria stood up and groaned.

“That was the strangest dream I ever had -”

"There you are. Do sit down," said a silky voice.

Underground. The cavern ceiling far above. A goblin messenger in rags stood nearby. “Say... I think have been here before.”

“Did you have one of these in your dream, too?” said a familiar male voice. Aria looked at the male Drow. He held out a pair of manacles and grinned.

Aria blinked at him. The male took her arms and attempted to bind her.

Fight!” two voices shouted in her head.

Aria struggled and attempted to turn. Her legs wobbled and her head exploded.

Aria blinked open her eyes to see not only the Drow but several others looking at her curiously.

“Does.. this place have a vampire?” she asked as she desperately tried to gather her wits.

“Treadstone has several.” the sun elf smirked.

“Did this vampire try to kiss you?” asked the male.

So this was Treadstone. Aria swallowed. “He asked for my blood.” She looked at the Drow. “I thought that was rather forward.” Aria was amazed at her own bravado.

The male shrugged. “Let’s try again.” He moved behind Aria again and began pulling her arms into the manacles. Aria instinctively flinched and struggled, and managed to bash her head against his. She fell into darkness again.

Aria groaned as the world stopped spinning and her view of the underground cavern returned. “Oh, please let me lie down. I don’t feel so good.”

"It's really not our fault that your body is as frail as a piece of paper," said one of the bystanders, a hooded woman who appeared familiar. “What is this…the sixth attempt? How did you choose this one to capture?!”

The Drow smirked. “The bindings are for your own good. So you cannot run.”

“I didn’t run before!” retorted Aria, immediately shutting her eyes as her head pounded and the room threatened to begin spinning again.

“You're our …. guest. You keep fainting and I don't know WHY. You just fell over all of a sudden, don't do it anymore alright?” The male was completely exasperated.

Aria allowed her eyes to grow wide. “Is this hell?” she asked in her best fearful voice.

“Depends on one’s perspective, ‘answered the Hooded Woman.

“No, but I can see why you would be confused,” said a gruff man leaning against a post, amusement in his voice.

The male Drow leaned toward her. “What is your name?”

Aria blinked and did her best to appear even giddier than she felt. “ I have a name… I… I ..was picking berries and walked into the woods..”

“You do know how to pick them,” laughed the gruff man.

“ and then… I was in the Arcane tower…”

“Your name! What is your name!” gritted the male Drow.

Aria swallowed looking at him, realizing she could only bluff so long.

“Aria. My name is Aria.”

White teeth in a wicked smile. “And who cares for you, dear?”

Think! “Lurue. Lurue takes care of me.” Aria’s eyes darted around the cavern looking for doorways. Was that a portal over there?

The Drow put away a bottle and shook his head to the female. “Anyone else? A friend, a lover?”

The sun elf rolled her eyes. “She’s talking about her goddess. What an odd woman! Perhaps she is feebleminded?”

Stall…stall… Aria thought frantically. Daun had returned briefly to the mainland so they couldn’t contact him. “Daun….Daun would take care of me.”

Aria continued her mindless charade as they continued to get names from her. Frantically, she gave the names of anyone she thought had left the island while also working to convince them she was not an escape risk.

Looking down at her clothes she wailed.” Oh, I have a stain, and a tear in my skirt. Is that a shop over there? Perhaps they have a tailoring kit?”

Eventually she ran out of safe names and had to give up possible contacts… Max… Max would help her… but she thought with enough time she could get out on her own.

“Oh, but I do like this outfit. Look,” pointing to a small hole.”If I could just get a kit I could repair this.”

The male Drow reluctantly smiled. “I do sense a Max Storm. Take her to the temple.”

Aria’s heart sank, but she vowed to make as many mental notes as possible. A report. She would need to turn in a report if, when, she was released. She swallowed.

The sun elf pulled on her bindings. “Follow me.” She said something to the male in an unknown language.

Gruff Man laughed. “I think you better save that for a safer time.”

Male Drow smirked. “Maybe let Francesca have a snack. But don't overdo it.”

The silky voice sounded off to the side. “Elven blood is one of my favorite delicacies. But no, I have some other things to attend to.”

Turning, she saw a pale woman who smiled hungrily. Aria shuddered and stood shakily next to her captor. Summoning all her acting abilities, she sighed in despair. “I’ll never get all the harnak seeds I need for my shop.”

Male Drow barked. “Follow Rithien!” Aria swallowed. Rithien Sun Elf. Francesca Vampire. Treadstone. Going to a temple. She nodded in obedience.

As they began walking toward a doorway, she asked, “Does anyone have any, er, food? I haven’t eaten all day.” She stretched her neck out to look past some shops. That did look like a portal!

Rithien scowled at her and prodded her with a sword. “Get in the Gondola.” She muttered something about a Devil’s Table.

Aria complied and decided to simply watch the route as best she could. She pretended to ignore the peculiar entourage while making mental notes: Rithein. Francesca. Treadstone. Devil's Table.

Disembarking the vessel with her hands bound was even more difficult, but she managed. Again the blade tip urged her forward into a sinister-looking building and down several hallways.

A barred door stood open. “Inside.”

Aria peered into the dank cell. “That really doesn’t look comfortable. Don’t you have a cot?”

Rithien growled. "I assure you, standing in front of me will become far less comfortable if you do not move."

Aria sighed and stepped into the cell hiding her revulsion at the filth about her. A bloodstained table filled one side. Were the walls painted black or just covered in –? Aria swallowed and then flinched when the door slammed behind her. She turned around with a brave, if innocent, face.

“No cushions?”

“Tell me about your job, “ said Rithien, pointing at Aria’s Constable badge.

“I am a Constable.”

“For Guldorand, yes?”

“Yes. I train other constables.”

“In fighting?” The Sun elf looked at her dubiously.

Aria shook her head.” I train them on De-escalation Techniques.” Aria pretended to talk distractedly while checking out her cell as she walked in a slow circle. “I stood down a whole crowd of angry people once... in an evening gown. ”It had been such a romantic night out.. and I was NOT in the mood for their shenanigans!” Rithien and her friends looked at her curiously.

She stopped at a barrel. “What is this?” and lifted the lid.

Aria immediately regretted her action. Dark, thick liquid and chunks of.. Aria gagged but covered it with a cough. “Your servants really need to clean up in here!” she exclaimed. The others laughed.

Rithein looked at her carefully. “You train others…not to fight?”she asked in disbelief.

“Well, so we don’t have to kill someone needlessly.”

“Needlessly.” echoed Rithien.

“Gain her sympathy,” a cool voice chimed.
“Pretend you are on her side,” grumbled the mocking voice.

But sometimes, “ Aria leaned against the bars, “Well, mostly…I don’t feel very good at my job.
She looked straight at Rithien. “Do YOU ever feel like your co-workers laugh at you behind your back? I mean.... they're alway polite... but...they send me on little errands while they go do the important stuff.”

“How thoughtless of them.” Rithien stepped closer to the bars. "And they never tell you about the important stuff, do they?" she purred.

“And they ask me to write up the reports. They always say I have the best handwriting.”

“And what are the others like?”

“The others? They’re…they’re guards. All good fighters.”

“But, they make you write all those reports.”

Hooded Woman mumbled, “Poor thing.”

“”Your other guards…what are their names?”

Aria continued on as if she hadn’t heard. “And I am the worst guard ever! A few weeks ago…a man followed me right into my own house. Invisible!”

“Did he now?” Rithein glanced at the two others and then back at Aria. “The other guard names..”

“And I escaped. But... I think the other guards just think I'm weak.“

"Why serve Guldorand? After all of the thankless work you give them and all you do for those around you in trying to help...? Why stay in Guldorand?"

It’s working, Aria thought. As she talked she made more mental notes about her captors, the cell, the hallway. If they would only leave her alone for a while ….

“Oh! But I love to help people! And Daun and I will be married soon. “ Aria pasted a dreamy-eyed look on her face. Then she asked, “But why do you - a sun elf - live here in Andunor?” Aria held her breath as she hoped she had guessed correctly.

Rithien blinked. “I live here of course.”

“Let me guess. Exiled from Myon? They exile or pariah everyone.”

“No, I am not of the Tel'quessir of Myon, though I would certainly be exiled or worse if they discovered me there. There are works I perform and things I aspire toward that those above were never very fond of."

“Well, I could not live here.”

"It is here you will remain until negotiations are concluded."

Aria looked around and wrinkled her nose. “This place could use a chair.” The others guffawed.

“You could always sit on the pile of skulls,” said Gruff Man.

“Well, you could certainly use a decorator.” More snickers.

A ball of light appeared in front of Rithien and spoke with the male Drow’s voice. “Rithien, hand the elf a piece of paper. Tell her to write the situation she is in now, and to sign with her name. Max will see to her release, but only if he has proof she is still lives. My patience runs thin with these people. Send me word when it is done.” The ball vanished.

Aria sighed. She had hoped to find a way to escape on her own. “Oh, dear... Max may not have that kind of gold, ‘ she mumbled.

Rithein stepped back to the bars. "Did you hear that? You are to write a message to Max explaining the situation you are in."

“What kind of note? How about some food? I am really hungry.”

Rithien exhaled. “You will write down that you are being held captive against your will and that you are asking Max to help you. You will sign the message with your name." Do we have an understanding?" A parchment was extended to her.

Aria reluctantly took the parchment and found a quill in her pocket. Turning around in the room. ”There isn’t a clean surface in here to put the paper on.” Rithien growled. “Just write the note!”

Aria scribbled hastily and returned the note to Rithien. Then she turned and began mumbling. “This is not a very hospitable place. No food… no water.. No place to rest..”

Rithien took the paper and began to read. “Max, They say I have to write to you to tell you I am alive. I am alive and well. Just hungry and desperately tired. From Aria Aspenleaf.” She looked up in exasperation. “You forgot to mention you have been captured.”

“Well, of course I have been captured! I have to mention that?”

Aria grumbled and grabbed a piece of her own parchment and rewrote her note, making a big show of stopping to think carefully as the sun elf tapped her foot.

Rithien grabbed it from her and amusingly read aloud, “Max, I am captured by very rude people. Though I am mostly unhurt, they will not feed me or give me water. I am somewhere in a cell. Please don't let Daun hear of this! He'll never let me out of his sight! Aria Aspenleaf.”

She waved the paper like a fan. “This will suffice.” and she turned and went up the hallway.

“Hey! When do I get out?”

Gruff Man walked up to the bars. “When your friends pay for it. “ He tilted his head at her. Aria somehow felt this man was more dangerous than the Drow and stepped back from the bars a bit. “Do you like riddles?” Gruff Man teased.

Aria shuddered to think what sorts of games this man played. “Riddles? Like what has two legs and -”

“No!” Gruff Man looked at her curiously. “Have you always been like this?”

“Like what? Is this about my hair? “ She blew a strand of hair out of her face. This is always about my - “

Just then, the male Drow reappeared and opened the door.

He gruffly reached for her hands before placing a key in the shackles to release her. Aria realized she had little time.

“Say... you're a drow.”

He glared at her. “No. I am an Ilythiiri.”

Aria knit her brows together. “You seem... drow.”

He grumbled. “Drow is a bastardization of an elven word Dhaerow, which means traitor in their tongue.”

“Oh, sorry! I don't mean any disrepect...just... you are Dhaerrow?”

“Are you dense? We are the Ilythiiri! ‘ he exclaimed in exasperation.

“I have never heard that term before.” Nothing wagered. Nothing gained. Aria thrust out her hand.” I am Aria. Aria Aspenleaf, an orphan from Silverymoon..”

He looked disdainfully at her hand, not touching it, but said, “I am Veszran. Veszran Val'thyrae.”

Gotcha! She thought. At least she could report who took her. “Well, hello Veszran. How - “

The Drow leaned toward and through gritted teeth rumbled, “I want you to pay attention to what I'm going to say to you. “

“You don’t have to be so -”

“You need to go to the Shadovar Trade Post. The Shadovar Tradepost. THE SHADOVAR TRADEPOST.” Each repetition grew in volume.

Aria’s face took on confusion. “I don’t have a hearing pro -”

“Where do you have to go?”

“The Shadovar Tradepost?” Aria smiled. “But that’s not where I live. Why should I - Oh!” she exclaimed as a portal lens was thrust at her.

“That is where Max and the others are waiting for you. You can go to your home from there.”

“Oh. Well, thank you.” She looked around. “You know, you should really take care of guests better. Some food, a hot beverage...”

Veszran growled menacingly.

Aria sighed and twisted the lens. Nothing happened.

Hooded Woman laughed, “The floor is warded against teleportation.”

Veszran motioned Aria out of the cell and down the hall. Aria continued, "We always served tea at the Temple of Seven Stars.” She moved her eyes about trying to catch details of the building that might help in the future.

“Your whip is at your side. Use it!” the growly voice sounded in her head.
“Trust in me,“ a silvery bell rang in her thoughts.

Veszran chuckled. “Lady, usually I flay them alive for my own amusement, especially if they don't cooperate. If I don't inflict fates far more difficult than death upon them.” He paused and smirked. “At least, if I'm not hungry.”

“Well, that won't get you a lot of friends.”

Gruff Man laughed. “Farewell!”

Hooded Woman purred. “Until next time.”

“Next time?”

Hooded Woman shrugged. “Maybe. Maybe not.”

The party stopped and looked at Aria expectantly. “Oh, here? Wouldn’t it be cheaper to just take me to a portal?”

They laughed. “She must think we’re idiots!” Well, it was worth a try.

Veszran motioned to the lens in her hands. “Give it a try.”

Aria peered at Veszran carefully. “ I don't understand why you did this… I mean... you keep me here and starve me... and I have a bump on my head…” She pointed to her skirt. “I have a hole in my skirt.. You starve me… put me in a really ugly room… and now you release me!”

Hooded Woman and Gruff Man looked at each in disbelief.

Veszran’s face was suddenly next to hers. “I'm about to release you into the fugue. “

“I thought I was going to the Shadow plane?”

“You should go to the Shadovar Trade Post. While you can,” Gruff Man said quietly.

"If you don't twist that portal lens now..." warned Hooded Woman.

Clearly vexed, Veszran sputtered. “Just- Take the lens. Use it. Return to your people”

“To the Trade post? Did you forget?” asked Aria innocently.

“Aaaaaaaargh! “ Veszran’s eyes grew impossibly large and his face twisted in anger. Aria thought perhaps she may have pushed too far.

Twisting the lens, she smiled. “Goodbye!” Veszran’s arm raised.

The world spun.

Shadovar Tradepost

“Welcome to the trade post. Stay out of trouble.”

Aria stumbled down the steps trying to get her bearings “Aria!“ She turned to see two other constables. She also realized there were multiple negotiations going on about her. Apparently, several people had been kidnapped into the Underdark.

Conversations continued, and no one seemed too concerned about her.

Aria’s head spun from the long evening, so she wordlessly stepped into the portal to go home.

Guldorand City Square

Aria walked slowly through the square intending to go home and rest. Her head still hurt, and though her kidnapping had not resulted in torture, she still was reeling from the event.

“Aria!” Max’s voice rang out, but it seemed more angry than concerned.

Aria turned to see Max storming toward her.

“What were you thinking? You attacked those drow?’ On your own?”

“What? I didn’t… I was gathering herbs… I don’t even know how I ..” Aria stammered. “They kidnapped me!”

“You should have called for help. I would have come since Daun is not here. He will be very angry that you were so careless.”

Aria was flabbergasted. Careless? When she didn’t even remember exactly what happened? When she had just been gathering herbs?

She opened her mouth to retort, but noticed the look of concern in Max’s eyes underneath his ire. She understood he was only concerned about her.

“Max, “she pleaded. “Don’t tell Daun. I will tell him, but I want to tell him in my own time.”

“You want me to lie to Daun?” Max’s eyes widened in disbelief.

“Not lie. If he asks you, ‘Was Aria kidnapped and taken to the Underdark?’ Of course, you should tell the truth. But, please, “ Aria’s eyes filled with tears, “Don’t just go and tell him. I promise I will.. I just need time. He’s not even back from the mainland. It’s not like there’s anything he can do about it now.”

Max’s face softened. “You promise? You will tell him, because if he asks me -”

“Yes! I promise. And.. I don’t think I attacked any drow… I .. I .. really don’t remember. I just wanted to go collect some harnak!”

”All right.” His mouth formed a partial smile.

“Um… how much did you have to give them?”

“Many friends chipped in …. Eight hundred bags of gold.”

“Eight hundred - ?” Aria breathed. “Well, I shall repay you right now, and you can repay everyone else.” She headed toward the Counting House to make a transfer. She would have to restock her shop to pay for her own capture!

Guldorand City Square
Midsummer Festival a few weeks later

Daun gave a lopsided smile. “You know, I already knew about the kidnapping.”

Aria looked down, ignoring the dancing couples around them. “I figured you had. But I promised Max I would tell you myself.” She smiled bravely. “I wish he hadn’t acted so fast! I’m pretty sure I could have gotten my own release!”

Daun looked at her dubiously. “Your own release? How did you think you would manage that?”

“Well, I thought if I was really annoying, they would simply send me back. Maybe even pay someone else to take me.”

Daun looked at her aghast. “Aria! They wouldn’t have ‘sent you back!’ Did it not occur to you they simply would have killed you?”

Veszran’s last expression swam before her. “Well… yes… but Lurue always saves me! It’s not my fault if evil things seem to be attracted to me!” She laughed and turned away, quickly acting as though she was watching the other dancers rather than pondering what could have been a nasty demise.

Daun bit his lip in concern. Evil things indeed.