Florentine Espivant - Pobody's Nerfect

The Vandals of Rome

Florentine Espivant - Pobody's Nerfect

Post by The Vandals of Rome » Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:52 am

I met Moira Orseeva by chance.

I was new to the Isle, but I recognised what she was.

The shadow. My shadow. Winter written into a heart. A villain.

If I was going to be a hero, it would have to be the right way.

So if, in the end, I must kill her? I will know, there was no other way.

I will mourn what could have been.

So I studied my foe. I put her life, her story, to ink.

Morwenna - The Keening

In the old days of the first Ffolk kingdom of the Moonshae isles, the dark places of the world had not yet been forgotten. The men of that age built walls of wood and lit fires to ward off the wilds. In these places, those that knew the ways of the Old nobility (for that had not yet been forgotten) wrote wards in the soil, and whispered to the moon that the dark wood might not enter the places men slept. Yet on moonless nights when the fires burned low and walls seemed to bend; the wards failed. There are many stories of the nameless things that walked amongst the first Ffolk on those nights, but this one is about the keening spirit.

Amongst the Ffolk, keening is an expression of grief. A wailing of men and women to let the departed know that they were loved. That they will be missed. That they mattered. The keening of grief usually gives way to a healing. An acceptance of the realms of death and a return to the world of the living. But during the keening, the veil between life and death is thin. Grief does not always leave the heart, and sometimes the living forget that there is a world beyond it. Usually, those so consumed by grief are recognised by the wise women and compassionate men of a community. Hope is not so simple a thing as to be lost ever to those that yet live and with care and time they would heal. But some few would get lost. Without the light of community, they wandered into the dark woods. Those that returned, were no longer of the living. The keening spirit, or the banshee, is a soul consumed by their grief. Forever keening, to hear the Banshee is to know death comes soon.

Morwenna - The Woman

Morwenna was a woman wise in the ways of the Old nobility. She knew the name of the wind, and the dreams of the earth. She was a keeper of her community, and a woman of great empathy. When she was young, she was known to be a great healer. So it was that when a plague came upon the Ffolk a great many sought her out. She did all she could; invoked the rites and made the remedies of the land that her mother and her mother's mother had known. Though some recovered, a great many did not. Morwenna's keening for each was deep. It was not long before Morwenna herself took ill. That night there was no moon, and the spirits were not quiet. Death was a call to the dark wood, and the keening spirits answered. Morwenna heard their wail, and knew it called her to an ending. But Morwenna knew grief better than most, and in the keening of the banshee she heard her own loss. She was moved by it, not to an ending, but to become it. That night she walked among the unquiet spirits, and into the dark wood. To lose herself, but not her life. She forsook her oaths to her Mother, and used her grief and the secrets of the Old nobility to create an instrument of the keening. Morwenna's Baton. The keening thins the veil between life and death, and Morwenna thought to use her instrument to reach through it. To draw back the spirits of the dead to the lands of the living. She could not let go, and so, she thought to take control.

Morwenna - The Lost

Those spirits Morwenna brought back could not truly return to the realm of the living. They had known the secrets of the hereafter and in them found a place in the great dream of the land. Each spirit drawn back by Morwenna could only grieve for the life they had, and the rest taken from them. But Morwenna could never make peace with what had been lost. She believed that if she carved deeply enough, the realms of the dead would be open to her. That death need never again take from the living. That she would make something of all that she had forsaken. Grief had become guilt, and guilt had become a bitter prison. Morwenna could not let go because to let go would be to accept her losses, accept her sacrifices. It was too deep a pain. Though she fought it bitterly, Morwenna would never master the realms of death. Her unnaturally long life would come to an end, though in truth she had forgotten to live the day she walked into the dark wood. But the story of Morwenna's baton did not end here.

Moira Orseeva - Introduction

Today Moira Orseeva is also known as the "Conductor of Souls". She is the owner of Morwenna's baton at time of writing, and she is a popular performer in the under realms. I first met Moira Orseeva in the city of Guldorand, where she was walking under a false face. There we spoke of art, and imagination. Of how the very nature of magic is possibility; to understand it is to understand that nothing in the world is set in stone. That the impossible is always possible. To me, this means hope is forever. It means practicality is never an excuse for tyranny, that we should always dream of the best for our world; for the moment you accept a thing is impossible, it truly becomes so. Moira's conclusion was different. Bitter, and hurt, Moira has no faith in hope or dreams. She sees possibility as a means of conquering the world. Of breaking the things others take for granted. This, she revealed to me, was her true purpose. Conquest and power, in place of hopes and dreams. This story is biographic. I detail what I have learned about the life Moira Orseeva lived before she chose villainy.  I believe she can still choose to live again. To dream once more. That's why this work is important to me. Some day, if she cannot heal, we must fight. But before the blood, we must dream of happy endings.

Moira Orseeva - The War

Moira Orseeva was born one of the Ffolk of the Moonshae Isles. She is daughter to Malcolm, who is son to William, who is son to Enserric, who is son to Eamon. Her parents both were loving souls, and her childhood was spent as well as every child's should. That would change, when violence came from hateful men of the North. Moira Orseeva and Malcolm both would lose her mother to their violence. Malcolm was a fisherman by trade, but he was fearful for his daughter and pained by the home they had shared with his wife. So he and Moira moved inside the walls of Caer Corwell. Life was difficult for Malcolm, but he found what work he could to give Moira the life she deserved.

Malcolm knew Moira had a talent for the harp and a love of the stage, and so he saved every copper so he could send her to the College of Mac-Fuirmidh. A famous bardic institution founded by the great bard Falataer. It was a painful thing for Malcolm, to send his greatest joy away. But his love was profound, and I do not believe there was anything he would not do to give Moira Orseeva a joyous life.

During the second year of Moira's studies she would get news of Malcolm's passing. The cause is not clear. Moira felt, without her, he wasted away in his loneliness. That he had only the bottle to numb himself, that had she been there things might have been different. But I wonder what Malcolm himself would say? If he regretted for an instant sending his daughter to chase her dreams? I did not know Malcolm, but I think if he regrets anything at all - it is that he could not tell his daughter he does not blame her. That he hopes she lives a happy life.

Moira Orseeva - Mac-Fuirmidh Academy

Moira Orseeva did not take well to the lessons of the Academy. She had lost too much to the cruelties of the world to believe in epics, and heroes. What use for fancies like that are there? Where were the heroes, when she lost so much? She applied herself with a vigour to her studies, but could not seem to match her peers. Her heart wasn't in the stories they were telling. It ached too much, to share their joy. But she was determined, and in time she found works that did speak to her. The forbidden of Ebonfar, the Talfiric shadow magic of the Ffolk's ancestors and the keening songs of the old times. It was also where she met Colin.

Colin was a man of charm, empathy and -ultimately - devotion to Moira. She found in him the flame of life. Just as the empathy of community would begin to heal the grief of the lost in the old days, Colin's care began to heal Moira. She found a vigour for life once more, and was less and less drawn to the forbidden works. Here, the story might have turned. Here, she might never have become the Conductor of Souls. But it was not to be. Her forbidden studies had been noticed, and though she had been giving them up, an unsympathetic headmaster summoned her to his office.

It was there, in a sealed case, that Moira Orseeva first saw Morwenna's baton. It was in this office that community was absent. The headmaster was unsympathetic to Moira. He did not see how hurt and misery are drawn to the same. He did not see how empathy and care were healing that hurt. He did not see that expelling Moira would rob from her the gift Malcolm had sacrificed so much for. That she would blame herself, and long to make something of what was lost. This is the folly of rules and laws without community and empathy. The folly of forgetting that we should judge first with the heart, and Good lives not in ignorance but understanding.

Moira was expelled.

Moira Orseeva - The Baton

Moira Orseeva could not reach Morwenna's baton, but Colin could. He was concerned for Moira, and wished only to give her peace. So when she told him the baton would give her something new, a way to move forward? He agreed to steal it for her. Colin would climb the tower the headmaster's office was in, and enter through a window. He recovered the baton, but as he made his descent a rock came loose. Colin fell from the tower, and lost his life. Moira would take up the baton and, in a moment of grief and desperation, she pierced the veil between life and death and dragged Colin's soul back. He was the first to be reanimated by Moira.
But, as with all the unliving, he did not return himself. He was cold and pained, forever grieving what might have been. Forever mourning what what was lost. In time, Moira would tire of him. Assure herself she never cared for him, that he was always a means to an end. But I know she knows better. I know she cannot ever truly be free of the regret, the guilt or the grief. Because she denies it, she can never heal from it. Moira would consider using the baton at the graves of her parents. Trying to bring them back. But she chose not to. She told me she was afraid they would not come back the same. That may be true. But I think she is also afraid of their judgement. Of what Malcolm would make of the daughter he sacrificed for. I don't know what they would say to her today. But I don't think they'd blame her. Colin didn't. I think they'd only be sorry for the life she might have had. A life she might still have, if ever she let go.

Moira Orseeva - The Conductor of Souls

For her crimes, Moira was pursued. She fled far, and deep, into the Underdark. There she has become a villain; a necromancer and performer both. Whether she knows it or not she is shackled to fear, grief and regret, just as Morwenna was. She hopes one day to conquer death; to end the cruelty of loss. Just as Morwenna did. To do so, she shackles the souls of the departed and gathers power wherever she finds it. For this, she must be resisted. She must be fought. But the ending of Moira's story is not yet written, unlike Morwenna's.

The quill remains in Moira Orseeva's grasp, and I believe there can still be a happy ending. The chain that is Morwenna's Baton, that is this prison of grief, must be broken. Life is not a sum of wins and losses. It needs no justification, no matter how heavy the losses. No matter the mistakes you have made, you can heal. You can change your future. You can be forgiven, if only you find the strength to accept what has come before.

You can atone, and at the end of your story, you will remember the dreams of those you have lost.

Moira Orseeva's story echoed the creator of her baton. Morwenna's baton. I chose it, as my first battleground.

It was a shackle I would break.

The Vandals of Rome

Re: Florentine Espivant - Pobody's Nerfect

Post by The Vandals of Rome » Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:07 am

Moira Orseeva was moved by my work.

I saw it.

I saw how she doubted. Not for herself, but those around her.

How she wondered, if things could be different.

I wonder if that's why she challenged me?

A contest, in the shadow.

A bardic duel.

It'd be easy to call it nothing but vanity. An easy opportunity to play to a crowd.

But I think she had doubts, she hoped to squash.

But I didn't want to win. I wanted to move her.

So I made it a wager. Once she was on stage. Once she couldn't refuse.

If she won, she could have my life. If I won, she would surrender the baton.

Morwenna's Baton.

She agreed. It was to be a song, a battle of insults, and a story.

I wrote the song about her. About what could be.

O Daughter of Malcolm,
You once told me anything is possible.
That you'd defy gods and men to achieve your dreams.
If the future is your own, what matters the means?
It'd all be worth it, in the end.
The loss and the pain,
The cruelty and chains.
Every damned soul put to pyre.
For the shattered world to which you aspire.

O Daughter of Malcolm, you told me anything is possible.
But I don't think you believed it.
The promises you made, the prices to be paid,
the things that had to be done.
You had such a way with words I almost didn't see,
None of it was about convincing me.
You make the grandest promises and gesture at the stars,
setting dreams at such great height,
they'd make all the loss alright.
But what you lost was priceless,
what you take now is too,
The heart filled with doubt was never mine.
I know it belongs to you.

O Daughter of Malcolm, there will never be enough,
No work so great, no deed so vast, that it'll ever mend the pain of the past.
Cruelty came to your door, and you answered with more.
An ever deepening pit of souls taken and tormented, loss on loss you might have prevented.
Every one was necessary, you said to me, never mind those chains of misery.
Proudly you declare your great vision from within that bitter prison.

O Daughter of Malcolm, do you know why the birds drift through the sky?
Or the flowers bloom, or the night makes gloom?
Why there is music in a song, beauty in a glance, motion in a dance?
Life! Life well lived; in tears and joy and love and dreams, there's no need to justify these things.
Because if a thing is right, and true, and free, it's not bound in chains of misery.
The score of life is not a debt to pay, there's no tally for each day.
You love, and grieve, and hurt and heal, and hold onto all that's real.
The weight you carry is plain to see; and only you can set yourself free.
All you've done can be healed, all you've suffered too.
But the first step will always fall to you.

O Daughter of Malcolm, I want you to know, that anything is possible
All broken things can be mended, all evils can be ended.
You hold the quill, the story is your own still.
The path of the heart is hardest, it takes strength to shed the darkness,
But should you walk upon it true?
Each step belongs to you.
Then, O Daughter of Malcolm, there will be nothing you can't do.

I think my song matched her own. She sang of her loss, and played to the intoxicating release of rebellion.

The battle of insults, I lost. I'm not good at hurting people I never have been.

But I also tried to be clever. Tried to make it about something.

She had no such concerns.

But I had a final gambit.

The story. Her's was dry. Interesting, but dry.

I bore my heart.

I spoke about her. For the first time since I lost her.

My sister. Marie Espivant.

I told the story of how she died.

Moira Orseeva knew I had won, then.

She surrendered the baton, and I destroyed it.

It was an artifact of great power, but the act had been a ritual.

A negotiation.

Love won, then, and Moira Orseeva knew it.

I told her the quill was in her hand, then.

I thought, maybe.

Maybe.

I'd won more.

But I was wrong.

The Vandals of Rome

Post by The Vandals of Rome » Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:21 am

She did not give the darkness up.

She didn't even take a step away.

No, Moira Orseeva seized on my sincerity. My vulnerability.

She found Marie Espivant's grave.

She took her body.

She did something unspeakable, to turn it into her new baton.

I don't have words for how I feel.

I tried to put them in song.

When I wandered the wild places, you packed the bags.
When I was lost in the brambles, you picked out the thorns.
When I danced in the rain, you made the fire.
You prepared the soup, and dry clothes and the medicine when I took sick from the cold.
While I was still young, you were already old.
You were the guide, in a world I could not see.
You were the other half of me.

I thought that would be forever.
I thought we'd go on and on through this age to the next, down every road in the kingdom.
Through the laughter and the tears, I thought you'd be there through the years.
I thought one day we would be old.
That life would pass, without Winter's cold.

The day you passed I tore my cloak, but I didn't notice.
I never had to before.
But it happened more and more.
As the days became weeks, and the weeks became months,
I got lost in familiar places,
I took sick from the cold,
That cloak grew so old.
I didn't know how to live after you.

But in the winds, and the waters,
In the wilds and the trees,
I never forgot what you told me.
Do not forget to Dream.
I wish I'd understood while you were here,
I wish I'd appreciated while you were near,
How much you carried for me so that I could live free.

So I learned.
I learned to use needle and thread,
I learnt not to wash white with red.
For each tear in my old cloak,
A new promise I wrote,
To live well still, for you and for me.
I promised to live free.

I hadn't imagined how far the Conductor would go,
That she'd dig up your bones.
That she'd put them on show.
I hadn't imagined anything so cruel,
To use your soul as a tool.
Sister of mine, I will set you free.
As you did, so long, for me.

I don't think I will ever understand why she chose that cruelty.

I gave her an opportunity to write something else.

I gave her my heart.

She answered with hurt.

This day, a woman calling her friend lured me to a quiet place.

There she tried to chain me.

I resisted.

We fought.

I won.

She survived.

I sent away my knights, and emptied my hands.

I told her I would speak peacefully, and with sincerity.

She told me her story.

I saw in her another Moira Orseeva. Another soul made hateful by the cruelty of the world.

She wanted to snuff Hope out, because it hurts.

I think that put to rest whatever doubts I might have had about the path I have taken.

I must hold onto Hope.

Hold onto Dreams.

Or the world wont change.

I told the woman we are defined by our choices today.

She chose to try to kill me again.

To try to prove she was without redemption.

I do not know if it was me she wished to convince - or her.

I fled.

I will write their story, and challenge them again.

I wont forget to Dream, Marie.

However much it hurts.

The Vandals of Rome

Post by The Vandals of Rome » Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:38 am

Scrawled by a mournful mouse, on the final page.

The Obituary of Florentine Espivant:

Florentine Espivant died this past day at the age of fourty nine.

She agreed to a spell duel to the death with Emeris Grail, whose crimes against liberty were many. He proved greater.

Florentine believed sincerely in liberty. That if peace protected cruelty, it was right to fight.

She believed that if even one soul were detained, it is right to act. That seeking a perfect answer to the problem of the tyrant only deepens their grasp. That laws, and their enforcers, were no substitute for a heart and a mind. Where others would wash their hands of responsibility for the coup, I know she believed in it.

Start to finish.

Florentine saw every life as a story. I have not her way with song or expression but I believe she would be content with her final chapter.

She died for liberty.

She did not forget to Dream.

The End