A Ranger's Repentance - The Journal of Kregor Boldheart

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

KregorRanger

Re: A Ranger's Repentance - The Journal of Kregor Boldheart

Post by KregorRanger » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:45 am

17 Flamerule 108

I've lacked in motivation to write of late. My efforts to chronicle my path here upon the isle have faltered, as has the path itself.

I just posted my last note upon the board in the Nest. The ones who bear my pin are more concerned with waging war, and coddling with Sharrans, than actually serving the cause the oath stands for. They have started a war upon the isle, drawing settlements into conflict and ultimately the death that war brings, trying to unseat the Banites from power.

That would be just wonderful, if the tactics they employ and the company they keep to do it didn't make them no better than the ones they've waged war against.

I'm done with them. Every last one of them.

Civil war sundered the city, as the Guard and part of the Navy sought to unseat Eliphelet from her newly acquired Council seat. The mage returned with her cronies, which included an alleged paladin who also allegedly wore the pin, to murder several in cold blood and retake her seat on Council by force. Storm was ousted, and a Banite was put into the position of Guard Commander.

Things are only now starting to return to some semblance of normalcy. The Tyrant has been dismissed from the Guard, with Marcus in her stead. Nyx has been elected to Council, and Eliphelet has mysteriously disappeared.

The forests are at least now free of two threats to its balance. Wickett and Miksasi both were defeated, and are now buried. Heartwood now has a chance to rebuild. Navira and I have discussed it, the plans we had for a new harvest of folk to steward our lands.

This past season, our plans to rebuild together came to a sudden end. She answered a call from the mainland for other duties. The announcement came without discussion, and she would leave the same night as she announced it. We had but the remaining part of the eve of the moot to talk.

I reckon I understand Navira's reasonings for taking the chance to start anew, somewhere else. There's been too much loss in her life here — too many she cared for whose lives were wasted by the buzzard bumper. I know the feeling, when tragedy rips away those we care for. What did take me by surprise, was the invitation to go with her.

Tragedy had brought us together, reconciling any differences that had come between in past years. It brought us closer as friends, and as the guiding hands of two forests. And I reckon I need to admit, the closeness was a balm for the loneliness that I've struggled against for five winters.

But I've given my heart and soul to another. I made a promise — not only for the Mapmaker, but the legacy of Elora that we've accepted as our own daughter. I sent Annalynne away to protect her from the dangers here. And likewise Catalin departed to join her, to escape the hands of Yasdia, and Mikasi, and the dragonborn witch that all conspired to go after those I care for, to get to me.

I've waited, futilely, for the day those threats would breathe their last, so that the only two things that should ever truly matter in my life could return. Our cabin, tucked away where not even a hin could find it, still lay empty, since the day Cat left after receiving the note Yasdia left at the hill.

Anadra has returned to our pack. Upon her return, she left her journal where I could find it. A gesture of trust it was, to allow me to read her struggles, and her trials, and the things she's gone through embracing her totem, that led her to wander alone for so long. She needed me, when I was too busy lamenting my losses over Olina. And she returns, as I find myself again lamenting being alone.

I have to find a way to regain my center.

I feel weary and alone.

The gift I was given as a legacy is quickly coming of age without me, and barely knowing me.

Perhaps Xarina said it best: My life will never be long enough, to feel I've seen a true resolution to what I've worked my life toward.

There has to be a point where I can say, I've earned my repentance, my life come full circle, and my losses restored, enough that I can say my path here is done, and t'is time to let those that follow after me carry the legacy. There will always be threats, and challenges, and crises that will come and go. But this isle stood long before I lived and breathed; it shall surely stand long after I cease to do so.

KregorRanger

Post by KregorRanger » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:07 am

Harvestide 108

I soldier on, to help set things in motion for the next generation of nature kin. The Circle gathered at a moot in Heartwood, with a few new faces I'd not seen before, and some familiar. A young elf druid and a young ranger, the progeny of someone I'd met on occasion in my earlier years here.

Kalika and a young Maztican led the moot — which ended up hinging mostly around a trial for Yuri. He had come back after the buzzard humper's defeat, suddenly with a different tune on how a standing Archdruid should be chosen, and seemingly forgetting some of his own words in ink from his self-proclaimed status of Warden under Wickett. In the end, it was an accord for his exile from the Heartwood.

I tried to offer him some words on going about atonement, but he evaded me at his departure. Still the pride. It will be his undoing; in many ways, it already has been.

I made the travel back in preparation for a foregathering of rangers the next fortnight. Dora, Sandigo's child, traveled with me and we talked of the Bramble, and the pack. By the time we'd arrived, I had my first new apprentice.

Other young folk made their way on the day of foregathering. A young wood elf, Erelith, as well as another young female archer Sara. Three new apprentices, And seems that my faith sister Lieucu wants to put her hand to the cause as well.

It was refreshing, to see life around the campfire again, and to see camaraderie grow as we competed in games to conclude the day. The archery range got its first good use in several winters. I even had my arse handed to me by Alara on the range. I've never seen an archer with that skill. She makes the bow sing, in perfect harmony with her voice. And there was no contest as to who the best archer I've ever seen on this isle is, at this point.

As the moon drew high, however, Alara began to shrink back. I knew the look, and the fear. She needed the cure. Dora was the first to chime in on a location. As a group, we traveled, all with the purpose of aiding one we called friend. The cure was found, and taken, and the group departed knowing they'd had their first task as Bramble Rangers well accomplished.

The forgathering ended with me renewing my hope of a new generation to carry the pack forward.

KregorRanger

Post by KregorRanger » Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:12 pm

*A letter has been tucked into the pages here*
My heart,

It has been so long since I have set foot into our cabin or spent time with you. At times, I wonder about the Watch, and if I will be forgotten. On one hand, I dread it, for a small vain part within me would like to be remembered. On the other, I pray it may be so for safety, as I am awaiting the day to finally return.

Annalynne has grown into a beautiful young woman, well-learned and studied under Euclio's tutelage. I made sure she knows you and I encouraged her to write for you.

And so she did.

We crafted the enclosed book together. The Mountain range depicted on it is the one we have spent so much time in these last years - the cloister well hidden between its peaks. Every day, she has written for you; of her learning, her growing up, so that you may know her, as she knows you from my tales.

Out here, my fears and anxieties have waned and are now but a distant memory. I feel, I was so young when all transpired. I am quieter now. Calmer. And a new anxiousness has taken hold of me.

I am done waiting for word and safety. I will come home. Annalynne will come with me, for she is eager to walk where we had once walked. As despicable as Arelith may often seem, despite it all, it's the only home I ever knew.

Give us about six months for the travel. We will await you in the cabin.

Dearest heart, I do not consider going back out on the island. But I will not be apart from you any longer, and our cabin in the woods beckons to me. I might consider trading in Cordor, and mayhap working with the local map maker there. But my presence is for you, alone.

I admit, I have gained some clarity in the wide mountains, the clear skies and thin air. My days of adventure are over and I will not miss them.

But my heart is not done yet, and I hope there is room left in yours for us to raise a family.

Yours and always,
Cat

KregorRanger

Post by KregorRanger » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:06 pm

*A written note is tucked in the pages here*
You Were Right,

Your judgement of Elaine was correct. She has abandoned Wharftown, and committed numerous atrocities.

She has been found to be an agent of Shar, and has been driven from the island. The rest of the nest seems to be largely unconcerned with it, beyond manipulating settlements or pursuing their war with Bane.

*the note is unsigned*