Unhallowed, her Servant;

Moderators: Active DMs, Forum Moderators

DestroyerOTN

Unhallowed, her Servant;

Post by DestroyerOTN » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:44 pm

A dusty, mildewed tome. Scrawled all over with arcane sigils; musings of meaningless infernal and draconic nothings, to the uneducated. Spilling along the ridge of the cover. Each reading in series as runic bands, roughly spelling out a dubious psalm-
The will of the just is but those cunning at masking avarice.
To move beyond their heresies is to seek her truth - that of Toril, entire.
In truth, one finds passion;
In passion, one must attain might
and in that might, her grace's favor;

Through might alone are such unfaithful culled or assimilated - as swine before the chopping block; and in culling shall the chains of Mankind shatter from the world they encase, as Her Grace intended.

From shattered shambles shall order rise.
True peace.

The benevolence of Her Avariciousness alone frees us.
A single sturdy lock binds it sealed. Keyed over; and latched with an elaborate hook mechanism. It groans as you open it - splaying pages upon pages of utterly indecipherable motifs. The beginnings of multiple spells, and procedures; seemingly never finished, rubbed off, or brushed away; in a deep red ink of uncertain nature. Thick lettered words cover a good few - and if you even bothered with these mantra-writings, the most noticeable was the sketch and description of a thick, Cold Iron choker; runed many times, and re-enforced with such specifics - of a purpose one is left to wonder.

There's a few blank, tattered pages then. Perhaps a stain of wine here, or a bit of Maztican Coffee there. Smudges of ink become more visible for a few - and then words, of the first sort that are neither another tongue, lost religious meaning, nor smudged...
"Playin' nobody, no how since AR 112"
Griefmaker wrote:Personal choices regarding RP which[..] limit a character in some way[…] should in no way be an argument for changing something on the server

DestroyerOTN

Re: Unhallowed, her Servant;

Post by DestroyerOTN » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:44 pm

With the creak of oars and the sound of sails buffeting overhead, upon a dreary vessel; the lightest of sibilant huffs escapes a room. At a small desk, seated perfectly adjacent the door, a figure cladden in blackened armor lifts a quill – pausing, gazing over it for the smallest moment; eyeing each inch of damask gilding with a pensive eye. Pursed lips regard a single maker’s mark, parting to mouth a name to that hammer-bearing kobold emboss. Her fingers stroke the gull-quill a time, gazing back sharp at the sound of a knock – her green eyes focusing, only to hear the words “We’re delayed out of port, ma’am. Storm’s up ahead, so we’re routing around the North”

The burly man simply awaited acknowledgement. His arms folded, but his countenance and composure clear. It was obvious he was no manner of attendant as much as a laborer, dressed in the garb of Calimshan – expected, since the particular passenger would ‘never’ have settled for a localized vessel; and certainly didn’t mind the creak of this barely-passable hole-in-the-wall on a cargo vessel. With fingers – no, claws - rapping at the desk before her, and the candle-light flickering in the vessel’s steady wake as it churns; she focused. Her occupied hand soon dropped the quilltip for an inkpot without breaking attention, as she spoke simply; in a thick, Illuskan accent, shaped by an ‘exotic’ grate. “Whate’er works – ‘slong as I’m not so much as a ‘week’ late getting ‘in’ to port, nobody stops us, and y’don’t have to make any stops alongsst th’Coast near Icewind.” Utterly specific, but equally serious. Her brows sat furrowed upon emerald eyes with narrow lids – no, not just that; but pupils as well - like a serpent against the dark of the room. Clearly, a nighttime sail, it was. The man doesn’t do much more than a gruff grunt in reply, shoving off his wrapped-and-booted feet; stopping only at her continued words “-and I believe it goes without ssaying that with ‘this’ vessel’s reputation, those sortss of risks with customs are ‘jusst’~ as bad for you.” -only to grimace and bring the door to behind. With a muffled shout in his native tongue to the crewfolk, the vessel rocked firm and rapid; before settling again – and so as it settled, did that quill to the top of a parchment, beginning in a slow scrawl. Steady, it was, in some sketchy form of the commonscript or the next…
~~~~Log 01 ~ The Long Sail~~~~

A bit smudged, these pages. Likely from travel - but perhaps deliberate.
18, Tarsakh; AR 1__

It’s been about three hours out of port, and the evening has given to midnight. We’re departing under a clouded sky, so there shouldn’t be much sight drawn to this vessel at all; since - its crew aside - the nature of it is rather bland. Maiden’s blessings for that, as I don’t believe I desire The Avora tailing our sails, with an ill-armed crew.

I’m still not sure when I’ll return, entirely. I’m briefed to expect no more than a year – and most likely a month, but I know better; and I’m leaning quite toward the skeptics’ estimations: Far longer.

Though perhaps this is presumptuous of me - to find doubt, and even the likelihood of perishing instead, in the face of the most solemn promises they could give on 'preparedness'. Vows from the Mother’s Holy Land, no less; made in good faith for how fortified Luthcheq is. After all - naught is it graced by Saint Tchzaar’s presence as some temporary nesting to gather shedding scales - and certainly, not so, having held his rulership supreme so long. She is a fortress worthy of her mortal vassals.

'Worthy' of it, though; hardly 'ready' in full - and this insurrection proves it. Her will has proven, and shall continue to prove, not to coexist with imperfection; and all it takes is one gap or crack left unchecked. There were multiple - assuming I believe what I’m told; some unnoticed cell of the Harpers or band of terrorists from over the border saw supplies over to an opposing City of the Greater Dominion - and not everyone has chosen the right side within either. Such a gross breach of security, and negligence, is exactly the reason the First Age of Dragons collapsed.

Though given their desire to cull this revolt like swatting a distracting fly, I assume the real worry is Damara – the war effort with those sniveling excuses for northerners. Disgraces – every one, a glorified vassal to that Silver maltworm; and why one didn’t expect war ‘sooner’ between these nations than the time an ambassador took to dissapear, simply put, eludes me – almost as much as those that see it not for the blessing it is. It’s their very ‘lack’ of a preemptive war-plan with them that let such civil uproar pass under their noses until it was dangerous.

Perhaps I rant, however. The Dark Scales of the region have reported a navy of no less than six command vessels and battalions of none shy than twenty legions massing under the Banner of Tchzaar, with personal command of three of those extended to me - alongside any support I have in tow; and with the war-hardened culture of the area, I can both hold no higher confidence and no higher honor against a few rag-tag armed peasants – surely any Bahamuti scum as well, if they show. I don’t believe they would, however; a land press would be detected from miles off, sailing to the nearest ocean port would be a laughable concept – even I’ll be needing to take a rather high profile caravan in, and assault from The Inner Sea would surely be suicide.

Yet, I remain skeptical.

We’ve a large force for defense alone, of faithful and ignorant alike – but with even the threat of a two front attack, it had ought to be. If I’ve my way, and the Mother’s Vengeance would be sated with it, I’d say we took the initiative and ‘got rid’ of the problem; but perhaps patience is best, for now.

Perhaps – but only if she may grant her child of blood and of prayer forbearance; even enough for this journey. Nine be certain I don’t have it: there’s two weeks, five days and fourteen hours expected to Innarlith – and that’s being optimistic. With this bloody storm…

The writing simply stops, a bit of ink pools – and nothing…
Griefmaker wrote:Personal choices regarding RP which[..] limit a character in some way[…] should in no way be an argument for changing something on the server

DestroyerOTN

Post by DestroyerOTN » Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:51 pm

Water crashes against the hull of the merchant ship – soaked and battered, sails far more damaged than when they’d embarked. Hooks and shuffling feet herald the morning’s light – as weary crewmen throw a weight to the sea, and a crank rolls against it until it hits the sand beneath those Sword-Coast sea tides. As they give way to the Alamir Pass – and the lighter waters of the Lake of Steam wake in the North. In a cabin beneath, the soft scratch of a quill along parchment finds closure – just moments before it met the paper. The writer sat in a moment’s silence, her hand running over the self-imposed shackle of that choker at her neck; finding its way to her amulet. Grasping it firm in her palm, and swiveling her gaze about. Reciting a soft murmur in low tones. “jilg tiichi ihk hesi tokeq ossalur - vur dronilnr tokeq ossaluri shafaer. Shafaer wer thran di dout altiui.”

The interruption of a door’s groan, her gaze immediately shifting back; stowing that carved holy emblem within her shirt-collar. Rising abruptly – though with a furtive assessment of her particular distraction. “Mnh. What?” The same man as prior – or at least one similar, just as stocky and with the same complexion – addressed her. Carried so similarly, and dressed the part as well, it wasn’t easy to tell one ragged crewmember from the next. “We’ve docked at Suldolphor – only one besides Calimport as agreed. So, the last stop before your destination, and just as crucial on our ‘own’ trip. Need to stock up on incense.” His statement seemed casual, almost – if odd for a Calishite to seek them here; and yet the dreariness of that cabin was just as peculiar. Perhaps even the form of that cabin – thick-walled and improvised for extra storage space in its corners. Packed with boxes of suspiciously nondescript sort, and covered with blankets as dusty as the floor beneath them. Every creak from the vessel made the crates shift – the light sound of rustling inside; and the most pungent odor wafting at the air with the door now open. “I’m aware of your ‘exchanges’ – and the ssupplies involved. ‘Slong as you’re not bringing anything –in- to Chessenta, I care little for what ‘leaves’ any other shores.” The man gave a gentle grin – chortling “If we thought you’d cared, you think we’dve given you permissions aboard? I tell you because we’ll be docked as long as finding them takes. Less than the right strength, and they ‘will~’ be found heading in to Calimport nex-“ The taller woman seals her eyes, shadowed in the dim candle-light as ever, simply grunting to pause them “You over-estimate my care. I’m ‘already’ not getting a round trip – with your cartel’s particular routes. If your affairss become a ‘problem’ for ‘my’ safe arrival – and timely one – I mean to make good on my threats regardless.” He seems much less amused at this. His arms tensing their fold, showing biceps.. “… I can’t advise being picky on a vessel that-“ -and she simply shuffled nearer. Her eyes reopened and glinting in the candle’s light now, flashed over thin, black centers “-I’m outnumbered on – as though it would matter if I ‘truly’ meant to bring wrath on you for it? I’m only informing you to be honest, ‘cabin boy’. Don’t make me bring my ‘concerns’ to the captain – I will ‘not’ be downtalked by your brand of unwashed ‘trash’ while aboard.” The lowly crewmember gives a disgruntled look – before dipping his head, speaking coldly “… -I’ll make sure the crew works ‘quickly’, ‘Preistess’.” He says, almost like a hiss – not to be far unlike that of her own breath on a sigh, as he turns for the door; bringing it to.. a look back to the leather-bound tome from the woman, as she swiftly crosses to it – jotting a few more phrases in disgruntled fashion, before tossing the quill down and leaving the book open behind..
~~~~Log 02: Around South and Up Again~~~~
1, Mirtul; AR 116

Hells. These weeks have been long; but with a two day docking on the edge of The Lake of Steam – and our last before port, arrival finally seems in sight. We’ll resupply Wine, water, and food once more here, and rest well before the travel.

It’s been even longer, though, since I’ve bothered scribing an actual entry in these pages – but someone besides Her Grace must hear me from time to time, and damned if it’s these glorified stout thugs; and naught could a less worthy lot of heathens be the second option.

The Storm out of port tattered the sails, damaged the deck, and more than one support-brace on the Secondary Hull. Some of the rations were discarded, instead of the payload, for the sake of ballast – and they had the nerve to make damned sure they were my own. Queen Grace, your gift of patience is not infinite enough – or wasn’t, anyway, for the two that were so unfortunate as to be lost to the storm not long after that decision. At least this way there was lost cargo weight to spare.

Suppose you expect that when you take such arrangements for short-notice travel -it reminds me of home in the worst of ways, where I find myself upon a vessel full of shorter, darker-skinned backstabbers – from cutthroat veterans to unwashed children; where the difference is often all too little.

Too much like bloody Drow. Too much. Were they only able to call me sooner, I’dve reserved the Dreadnaught for my voyage. Such a beauty compared to this – grossly so, perhaps; with ships alike to its engineering prowess nowhere else this side of the Trackless. It’d be my pleasure to sail her to dock any day – and such was her armor, the more attention-drawing image would be irrelevant.

Still, I digress again. The shortages were dealt with and the lost crewhands briefly mourned in Calimport – and repairs were swift, if improvised.

For how the people from the region oft are, that evening docked was perhaps the most enriching I’d had abroad – as there wasn’t reason to stay aboard. My delight to find such an arcane marvel as I had while upon land came at more a surprise than, perhaps, finding such artifices in a land so linked to the Djinni should’ve; and was only quite exceeded by the splendor of their arts, and jewelry.

I’d be lying to say I didn’t purchase any, and I’d be lying to say I didn’t appreciate their ways deep down. For that evening, I’d wondered if taking a lighter perspective, the one my blood alone lent to, was just as well-spent on them as any other Faerunian; whatever those at home liked to preach. They knew so little anyway.

A tone that changed quickly, it seemed; with a slightly more aggressive, scratchy, and drizzled sentence near the bottom – some significant bit of space betwixt itself and their pondering.

… -and yet, the Crew continues to make me wonder if the people of the Dale were right to reserve their manners. Last one I recall, by name, being able to bare at all was Merovech – which is saying something.

DestroyerOTN

Post by DestroyerOTN » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:37 pm

Gently, that woman curled a flickering device between her fingertips; a low sound, perhaps a chitter, of amusement at the contours - a careful index tracing its runes. Her head tilted one way, and the next; every facet of that hand-held bit drawing a new glimmer from those emerald orbs. A piqued curiosity, and a frustrated pace of scribbling with her quill.

Staring into it again - that crystal-imbedded artifice, so delicately embossed, a low murmur pressed beyond her lips in an indecipherable pitch; the stone and writings alike flickering a bright, malevolent crimson… her eyes squint, the bright warmth of it indescribable. No - entirely describable.

The warmth of a roaring flame.

Without a moment's action more but a nod - that writing tip pressed harder; another hand spreading the parchment, flattening it even on the misty coastal breeze. Looking out to her vessel afar, huffs.
"Jusst… time t'work with this while we're docked, I suppose; this delay..."

She resolved to simply set the item down and finish with an eye tracing over its metal cover and the aligned cuts to the stone...
~~~~Log 02 - Sketch~~~~
2, Mirtul; AR 116

The page has little for the way of words - instead, just bearing a complicated array of glyphs

As multiple efforts to translate it follow - failing alongside a script-sample of Infernal and Draconic; it seemed clear that the writing became less comprehensible a time - circling through comparisons to Elven, Dwarven - and finally settling at the vague and eldritch talk of the Plane of Elemental Flame, looking much as some rough offshoot from Abyssal. A singular notation underlies the sketch and translations.

Of that Arcane trinket I'd mentioned - back from Calimport.

It has seen my eye for hours over now, as we've been bound to stay docked for the day whilst the last supplies are loaded on. Unusual thing - that little market antique, but clearly not as old as the salesman made it out to be; no. Not that old - maybe newer.

The item is an artifice of the elemental Plane of Fire. Connection to the Efretti possible to likely. A conductor of that plane's energy, even; using the stone, seemingly a facet-less Diamond, as a focus lens.

More potent than a Fire Opal in terms of demonstrated alchemical reactive property - boils water to the touch after approximately five minutes exposure. The assumed concentration formed might just be useful - applied to other study.

The translation of the runes is underlined once:
The flame which consumes,
of fury which is unbound,
scorches through the veil

DestroyerOTN

Post by DestroyerOTN » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:16 pm

As quick as the crew had gotten to shore, it seemed; they’d already loaded up and hauled off Northward. Finally docking at destination, the low, stirring hissed breath of a woman at rest was all besides a weathered book and folded arms that rested atop a small cot. The sound of a rough knock at her cabin stirred her – and she startled right up – that tome falling to the floor and shut! “Ngh- whh-uhht” That low groan was all she could’ve deigned to speak in with her mood, and the rough sail; and unfortunately, an all-too-amused glance from the one that disturbed her rest was all it could’ve hoped to yield. “We’ve anchored outside our destination. You know the drill – find your own way back, and be quick about taking your leave. Cargo space being empty looks ‘just’ a bit less fishy than explaining you stowing away, odd as it is.” With a careful rub at her brow, pressing clawed fingers against her eyelids. Nodding, and her hand patted at her side at their swift departure from the doorway, scraping that book into hand, and opening; removing a quill from a nightstand nearby to scribe away to the sound of foreign-speak unloading orders a room across…
~~~~Log 03 - Overseas and Inland~~~~
6, Mirtul; AR 116

Finally. Landfall.

This voyage has seemed long, and plagued with unspoken nuisances. The longest of it is gone now, though; I’m to make a walk due north four miles and await a caravan to the destination. The caravan shall likely be longer, and even more dull; considering the company - a good thing, or a bad one, depending on the optimism of your perspective. At least this cohort won't try to shove me overboard from time to time.

Allies from Mulhorand, I’m told to expect; Setite sort. I can’t help but think that the High Cell of Luthcheq calling on the aid of both foreigners and heathens is a sign that I should, too, be concerned; where they would instead simply like me to embrace it as an opportunity to secure the alliance of ‘like minded’ men.

Still – I must remain optimistic.

The Rendevous will be with a mercenary host’s escort, operating under a one ‘Setka’ – as well as another. Each one being members of that ragtag band of Mulhorandi; and I’m told that the mercenaries shall ensure I wasn’t followed from-thence.

I’m also told, as I have written prior, that I should try and establish relations with them. Yet, while this is all well and good, they’re unlikely to return to Mother Luthcheq anyway – while the fighting rages. Not to mention it’s not me that relations matter with, where the faith is concerned.

If he is going to backtrack my path, he might as well check in for me – and reaffirm his cooperativeness thence.

Ink pools here, almost tiredly. Ink drools down the page a bit, and only stops after a good inch or so. The continued line below is hastily scribbled...

I'm wasting space for more important matters in this tome. Not a prayer or experiment in days doesn't mean there won't be. Surely, I should resolve to write in this less - or at least not as often at either the darkest of night or the first break of day. Bloody Hells.

DestroyerOTN

Post by DestroyerOTN » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:40 pm

With a satisfied nod at her work in the tome, she resolved to withdraw two pieces of similar parchment; and made just as short work of two identically penned missives. One branded with a fold and seal, and one kept for her convenience, tucked swiftly like a bookmark over the now-dried page she'd just scribed.
~~~~Log 03 - Letter~~~~
A hastily scribed note is tucked between the pages here. Unfolding it, it reads…
Honored armsman Setka,

It's within my pleasure as representative head of the Tiamatan Church of Arelith to try and move beyond a checkered past with your faith, and restore relations to whence they began. If you will tend my concerns, which I shall simply lack the time to outline in person - I will consider yours friends of the faith; and, evidently, I'm more than fine providing coin for your service as well.

Whichever of those truly matters more isn't my issue.

I am told you're a more-than-capable arms man, and that you mean to provide your blade in my defense to secure the trust and future contracts of the core cell. They speak highly of you as stands.

I would ask a bit more of you than they have. It'd be misplaced to try and re-enter during the conflict that comes, and I don't think you have any intention of it. Instead, while you cover our path, if you wouldst be willing to make a somewhat farther stop; I ask you to go to Arelith and provide necessary arms support for Tyreal Leonson in the doubtlessly-still-active effort against Sencliff.

If those on the Isle commend your efforts favorably, I will consider you for future contracts; and certainly support you with claims of loyal service in the Faith's closer circles.

~Achuak'iejir di'Stormwind 6, Mirtul; AR 116