On PC Guards, Barracks, & Recruitment

Irongron
Server Owner/Creative Lead
Server Owner/Creative Lead

On PC Guards, Barracks, & Recruitment

Post by Irongron » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:24 pm

This is a 3 month (ish) warning of an incoming change.

In most of the starter settlements (excluding Andunor, Skaljard and Sencliff) there are buildings intended as military/guard structures, with themed NPCs, resources, and such like.

These are the:

Cordor Guard Headquarters
Brogendenstein Barracks
Hawk'hin Baracks
Guldorand Garrison

Each was designed so players could join/take part in military/guard force RPed, and in many cases, this hasn't gone entirely as planned, with the buildings frequently repurposed or used as private quarters. While this isn't a criticism of what people are/have been doing there, it isn't really what they were designed for, with each intended as a springboard for starter characters to get involved in the RP of their respective settlements.

Therefore I'll be making following changes.

Guard/Soldier recruitment will be handled by an NPC, and open to any registered citizen (I may also add an RPR requirement if too many issues)

Access to the buildings will be controlled by two gates, citizen to access the 'lobby' area, and guard member (presenting a specific item, such as wearing a uniform, papers etc) to enter the private quarter/storage area. The first of these two is already the case in Guldorand, and the second (the ability to purchase a uniform from an NPC) is already the case in Brogdendenstein.

Settlement leaders will still be able to appoint leaders of these groups, who can control discipline, grant ranks, and such like, while problematic behavior or abuse can be partially controlled by evictions, exiles, pariahs, or in the worst cases - DM intervention or some new 'blacklist' system.

It's a relatively simple change, from the area design perspective, but I'm giving lengthy notice so that use currently using these structures for private reasons have ample time to relocate/restructure. Those with interior quarters will not be evicted as a result of this change, it is only that access to the buildings themselves, and joining each settlements respective military will be something anyone can do straight off the boat, if they so desire.

We may be able to expand this later with more scripted means for ranks/payments, patrol writs, and such like, but for now at least, only the above changes will be taking place.

So this is first advance warning, I'll give another when it is 4 weeks away, then 1 week away. Naturally if during that time the buildings start being used for the intended purpose the transition will be very smooth.