Druid Class - Shapeshifter

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Apothys
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Druid Class - Shapeshifter

Post by Apothys » Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:43 pm

Much like the totemic druid idea was likely taken from Baldurs Gate 1 or 2. I submit the suggestion of:

Druid - Shapeshifter

The Shapeshifters are not called Shapeshifter because they have access to a great variety of forms, but rather because of their complete dedication to a single alternate form. Shapeshifters have willingly allowed themselves to become infected with lycanthropy, but due to intense study and training they have the ability to control their afflictions. The creatures they become are that of werewolves, the most famous of the lycanthrope shape changers. Though there could be a variety of lycanthropes players could choose from.

Advantages

May shapeshift into the form of a werewolf once per day. Gains one use at level 1and additional uses could be gained as they level up.
At higher levels may shapeshift into a Greater Werewolf once per day. Additional uses could be gained as they level up

Disadvantages:

Cannot wear any body armor, although spells such as Barkskin and other warding spells may still be used.
No other shapeshifting abilities due to the effort required in maintaining balance in primary forms.

Full Moon period still brings out an automatic change. Given the stigma and possiblity of infection from lycanthropes this will not be received well by most people.

Why add this class:

To bring a smile to all the faces of players who have been waiting for the last 20 years to play a real lycanthrope on Arelith and the great rp that would come from it.

Would this class be abused?

No more than any other, though fixing this to the Druid class will hopefully bring some balance to the RP required for playing such a class. Of course there is the issue of Good aligned druids walking around cities, in my personal opinion WWs of any form are still considered a threat by almost everyone no matter its source and likely to be hunted by any righteous individual wanting to protect its people and one could ask whats a Druid doing socially interacting with others in a filthy walled city? :)

Talandis Tanor'Thal
Kalnafein Cress'delbarra
Tanis Thade
Merklynn Steelshadow II
Gulmyr Dro'Vaalvaz
Aerik Northman

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Re: Druid Class - Shapeshifter

Post by The GrumpyCat » Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:05 pm

I'm going to be bold and move this streight to rejected
Firstly we already have a shapeshifter class for druid. It's called Shifter.
Secondly I'd rather see Lycanthropy turned into two different things - the Curse Lycanthropy (similar to what we have now, but maybe with more issues/drawbacks idk) and an award for 'Natural Lycanthrope.' as a race. Now this may take time to sell, and time to make, but I think it's the better answer.
And a lot of the concerns over 'natural lycanthrope' still stand over Lycanthrope gained by this class.

So yeah, this is going to be rejected I'm afraid. It's also just not enough to make a whole class over.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)