Diseases, poisons

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Winter83

Diseases, poisons

Post by Winter83 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:32 am

-"I am feeling sick from drinking stale wa-"
-*uses a healing bandage to cure the other's affliction"
-"Thanks."

Uhm, would it be possible to remove the curing abiltiy of healing kits?

Use an antidote if you are poisoned.
Find a priest or rest it out if you are diseased. Maybe have the tavern-resting cure sickness. Or NPC priests too.

Since diseases are kind of slow to take effect, and when they do, they have meager affects.

Would encourage new opportunities of rp

DirtyDeity

Re: Diseases, poisons

Post by DirtyDeity » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:38 pm

The opportunities for RP are already there. No one said that a 'Healing Kit' is a bandage. That's simply the most common perception.

It can be regarded as anything from potion-ish concoctions, herbal mixtures, capsules, whatever fits your character.

AdreannaDrea

Post by AdreannaDrea » Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:36 pm

A 'healing kit' is exactly that: a kit of various useful salves, tonics, tinctures, stitches and bandages for the wayward adventurer. At least, that's how I've always perceived it.

look...

Currently Playing:
Kethra Nagel

Previous:
Nadara el Khalyd (Belford)
Alaunthrae Zau'rahel
Kerenza Massalan
Jenna Gaskell
Nathyria Angevin
Kalina 'Storm' Star

Winter83

Post by Winter83 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:05 am

My problem is not with the healing kit itself.
More with the low DCs of diseases. How they absolutely have no effect in the module. They are nothing more than a nuissance to waste a +1 kit on.
I am yet to see anyone roleplaying or mechanically being affected by disease at all.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:27 am

Winter83 wrote:I am yet to see anyone roleplaying or mechanically being affected by disease at all.
It happens more than you might think, but most of the time poisons and diseases are encountered mid-adventure, and unless you're with a super hardcore group of RPers, most players aren't going to want to have one of their party members walking slowly, stopping often, and regularly emoting their horrible cramps and projectile vomiting. So, it gets a nod and it's dealt with quickly, and the good but courteous RPer drops the occasional reminder that something bad has happened, without being a wet blanket.

PvP poisons and diseases get WAY more attention, and I think that's how it should be.

Besides, any character above level 10 would be a god, by Human standards. Makes sense that they should have a fair chance of shrugging off damage and disease.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Hunter548

Post by Hunter548 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:03 pm

Any DnD/NWN character beyond level 6 or with higher than 18 in any attribute is super-human by definition. Wizards laugh at just about every law of physics I can think of that deals with energy or mass. Your average str-based meleer can put my car on his shoulders and do sprints without it impacting his performance. Clerics can replicate most of the miracles in world religious tradition by, what, level 9? Barbarians can survive your average atmospheric re-entry as long as they have some protection against fire damage from level 6 (Assuming Arelith uses PnP's fall damage rules).

I'm really not sure that chickenpox or tetnus should be huge obstacles for these people.
UilliamNebel wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:24 pm
You're right. Participating in the forums was a mistake. Won't do this again.
Anime Sword Fighter wrote: I have seen far too many miniskirt anime slave girls.