"No Weapon Damage" property: non lethal damage?

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Yellena

"No Weapon Damage" property: non lethal damage?

Post by Yellena » Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:49 pm

Is it mechanically possible to tie this property (that only negates the weapon's base damage) with some kind of "non lethal damage"? As in it never reduces someone below 0 HP (auto stabilize), causes sleep instead of killing, or something like that?
Would be fun with some "mercy" kind of characters.

Yma23

Re: "No Weapon Damage" property: non lethal damage?

Post by Yma23 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:10 pm

A lot of people have wanted, in some form or another, a subdual system. Whilst I am by no means objecting to the issue being brought up again (It's something I myself would very much like to see bruoght to the server. Indeed, if you made a 'top ten of things I'd like' it'd be near number 1) I feel obligated to warn you this horse has been beaten a lot of times, possibly after death.

With that said - I do love this particular nuance of it. It puts the beten character utterly at the mercy of the one who has won, allows for an easy possiblity of death (yes, even some by accident) and could be tied in so that all classes could use it.

Erin Greene
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Erin Greene » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:53 pm

I really like this idea.

KregorRanger

Post by KregorRanger » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:18 pm

You and me both YMA, and likely every other refugee from a certain other RP server that this as a damage mode was one of its main redeeming qualities. I've argued it, and even tried to justify it by its inclusion in PnP rules, and by how a means of not killing an aggressor would foster continued RP in an encounter, rather than an end. (Oh, look.. I just did it again...)

Maybe, someday. It would definitely be #1 in my top 10 feature requests. We actually have non-cancellable combat modes now; a man can dream. :)

Artos13
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Artos13 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:02 pm

More importantly, you have a Mithreas with actual time/desire to work on Arelith stuff lately.

Drake Strongfist

Post by Drake Strongfist » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:10 pm

This would be beautiful for guard rp alone, not to mention the endless other options it opens up.

Mithreas
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Mithreas » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:21 am

It would I think be moderately simple to check for the no damage property and prevent death. That would mitigate many of my concerns with subdual. I'd still be concerned about trolling, but I think that will be rare enough that we can handle it via DMs.
xkcd.com is best viewed with Netscape Navigator 4.0 or below on a Pentium 3±1 emulated in Javascript on an Apple IIGS at a screen resolution of 1024x1.For security reasons, please leave caps lock on while browsing.

zeylin17
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by zeylin17 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:46 am

perhaps ad a -death command for someone in low life or 0 life to type in so that they can kill themselves if there is trolling?

Then, it's something both players have some control over.

Katze

Post by Katze » Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:28 am

why not make it a 10% plus your parry. it would make the skill more useful and allow people to make characters that are the duelists types that have learned well on how to not kill someone.
Whatever action one takes IG, con be explained by something logical.

aaa3

Post by aaa3 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:15 am

If you want to capture someone, then why would you be using a killing method however?

There is huge variety of knocking off ways ig for this purpose.

How about people who do not wish to be let to be captured and prefer fight to death?

Yma23

Post by Yma23 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:38 am

How many times have you encountered the following situaiton.

Person A fights person B, then takes them away, raises them with a scroll, and the rp continues?

I can say this has happened more times than I can count. It is not a bad thing per see. It is a generally done thing. Why? Because often when pvp occurs the aim is not to 'murder' someone, but to take them down so that they may be questioned/imprisoned/tortured/whatever.

Right now that means death = Unconciousness. It demeans the point of death. It basically treats the 'death' state as a 'knockout' state. Now this isn't a 100% bad thing, I suppose. But it does mean that death, effectivly, matters far less. And it also, as an aside, makes things much tougher for those playing MOD's.

With a 'subdual' system of some sort, then you arn't, infact, -murdering- someone to capture them. You are, in fact, doing as you should be. Knocking them out/beating them into submission. This makes a lot more sense narritivly and for a vareity of classes.
How about people who do not wish to be let to be captured and prefer fight to death?
Check out Zeylin's post, just two posts above this. He suggests a -death command for those on 0 hp. Enabling them to 'pass out and die' if they so wish. This to me seems a most eloquent solution.

miesny_jez

Post by miesny_jez » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:14 pm

Check out Zeylin's post, just two posts above this. He suggests a -death command for those on 0 hp. Enabling them to 'pass out and die' if they so wish. This to me seems a most eloquent solution.
Well I think an implementation of a -death command would have to follow with one more addition:
An option for the dead person to ignore a rise dead/resurection spell.

Why? Because if someone is a real jerk they could just club a person until they put in -deat.. then raise and do that again until a person logs out frustrated.

In fact.. I would even love to see an option to not agree to a raise dead/resurection spell in the first place but thats a case for a nother suggestion post.

aaa3

Post by aaa3 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:20 pm

They already need your consent for raising.

Yma23

Post by Yma23 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:22 pm

Why? Because if someone is a real jerk they could just club a person until they put in -deat.. then raise and do that again until a person logs out frustrated.
Whilst I see where you're coming from, and it isn't a bad idea, if someone did this then they'd be acting against the rules. If you kill someone, you need their permission to ressurect them (waving the pvp rule per 24 hours ect)

Bringing up the idea of a 'do you want to be raised' menue is ok, though I worry it could open up the possiblity of a few bugs. LIke what if someone was AFK in fugue when they got the message? Then again, I guess that just encourages people to drop the fallen player a tell before hand saying 'Yo, you ok to be raised?' or sometihng.

With all this being said, I think your idea is pretty good Miesny, I'm just playing around with it to view it from different angles. I think that in balence it's probably a good idea, even without the subdual system mess, as it does mean that anyone accepting (or giving) a raise is fully in controle and awear of the rules and such involved.

Lorkas

Post by Lorkas » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:44 pm

aaa3 wrote:They already need your consent for raising.
Only if they're the one who killed you, right? I haven't heard any rule about raising without permission when the 24-hour PvP rule isn't in effect.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:42 pm

Lorkas wrote:
aaa3 wrote:They already need your consent for raising.
Only if they're the one who killed you, right? I haven't heard any rule about raising without permission when the 24-hour PvP rule isn't in effect.
Or any other member of the opposing group involved in the PvP leading to death.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill