Druid Path - Aspect of Nature

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Valo65

Druid Path - Aspect of Nature

Post by Valo65 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:41 pm

(I think the name's good but it's kind of unwieldy, so whatever.)

I had an idea for druids, something to give them even more variety. Whereas totem druids focus on the martial aspects of druidism (namely wildshape), I thought it might be interesting to also have druids who focus exclusively on the spellcasting part.

Some things they would (or could) lose:
-Ability to polymorph, including polymorph spells, wildshape and elemental shape.
-Ability to gain Dragonshape.
-Ability to gain Monk Levels. (The benefits of Aspect I had in mind would be too easily complimented by monk levels, though perhaps not as much as totem druids are.)
-Ability to wear medium and heavy armor. This class is focused on spellcasting, I would regard it as the equivalent of the Cleric's Healer path, though it is by no means pacifistic and druids should retain the ability to use weapons and light armor as desired.

What they gain:
The general idea is that they would gain abilities relating to the four elemental forces: Fire, water, air (lightning), earth. Whether they gain a mix of the four, or have to pick one, or pick one at first and later earn more, is something that can be debated by developers. Perhaps if you have to focus in one, positive and negative energies can be added in, which focus in the destruction of undead and the spreading of contagion and death respectively.

As for what you actually get, here's a few ideas for things they might get (I don't expect them all to be implemented together so don't go screaming about how overpowered it is, I'm just throwing out ideas):
-Unlimited castings of particular spells, dependent on your level and (if applicable) chosen element.
-The loss of a vast number of spells in exchange for all other spells being made into unlimited use, as with warlocks (though without eldritch blast).
-Increased or removed level caps on relevant spells. Increased damage in the case of Finger of Death for negative damage, higher damage to undead with healing spells for positive energy.
-New spells not previously available, as not all the elements are available consistently through druid levels (not counting summons). Including Undeath to Death for those specializing in positive energy. If impossible to add in without haks (I've seen it done with overrides), the use of some sort of focus (holly and mistletoe) to use these spells would also work.
-Receiving certain relevant spells on a use/day basis. Awaken seems like a nice thing to give to these druids, as they approach their work in a more ritualistic manner compared to regular druids.

Thoughts?
No one expects the Elvish Inquisition!

DestroyerOTN

Re: Druid Path - Aspect of Nature

Post by DestroyerOTN » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:25 am

Benefits of druids already hearkened to monk levels. A hint: anyone that shapes up at all probably has them....

.. but before I turn this into a "disable monk multiclass with druids" thread;

It could work, not that I imply we'd see many... though, on an issue note, druids -remain non-spontaneous-. Thus, mith can't do that yet... to what I am aware
"Playin' nobody, no how since AR 112"
Griefmaker wrote:Personal choices regarding RP which[..] limit a character in some way[…] should in no way be an argument for changing something on the server

Valo65

Post by Valo65 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:06 am

DestroyerOTN wrote:Benefits of druids already hearkened to monk levels. A hint: anyone that shapes up at all probably has them....

.. but before I turn this into a "disable monk multiclass with druids" thread;

It could work, not that I imply we'd see many... though, on an issue note, druids -remain non-spontaneous-. Thus, mith can't do that yet... to what I am aware
There's always a few who have druid levels. I and most of the druids I have spent time with (as in not avoided after my first encounter) did not have them as near as I could tell. While we never see other people's character sheets, it's usually painfully obvious when someone is a monk/druid, because it really is just that overpowered.

Part of me wants to play one, but I'm restraining myself.

Mainly I'd like to see druids offered a mechanical path that deals with more obscure and primal aspects of Druidism. I feel it could work quite well.

Winter83

Post by Winter83 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:16 am

Druid-warlocks? Infinte casting of animal summoning spells, like badger-swarm. raven bombardment. :D

If you restrict the class from being lawful that'd disallow multiclassing with monk.

This aspect sounds more like a sorcerer variant to me. Why druid?

Faye

Post by Faye » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:26 am

100% behind this. I love the spells Druids get - and it'd only be complimented by focusing in one specific element/energy. Monk/Druids make me shudder - not only because of the overpowering aspect but also because they tend to ignore the amazing spells gifted to them.
Maphias wrote:I've spent‏ like‏ over 200K on women's clothing from various stores around Arelith over the years‏

AdreannaDrea

Post by AdreannaDrea » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:29 am

Oh god yes. For my current druid, I made a spreadsheet of all the spells and where they would fit into the four elements, and three shades. (Air, Earth, Fire, Water, White, Grey and Black) as part of my attempted roleplay to learn each 'discipline' at a time.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

As you can see, Air is very very low. So is Water, and somewhat Fire. If we could just get some reskinned spells, that would be shiny.

look...

Currently Playing:
Kethra Nagel

Previous:
Nadara el Khalyd (Belford)
Alaunthrae Zau'rahel
Kerenza Massalan
Jenna Gaskell
Nathyria Angevin
Kalina 'Storm' Star

Valo65

Post by Valo65 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:48 pm

I said druid as sorcerer already has some paths, and I feel that this path is more for one who pursues primal, elemental energy, rather than one who was born with power. Essentially, the Aspect is a druid who spends his time making WMD's rather than hunting poachers and tending plants. He's the scientist of the bunch, who spends time doing herbalism and sitting in front of bloody ritual circles.

The Kriv
Arelith Platinum Supporter
Arelith Platinum Supporter

Post by The Kriv » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:10 am

Here's a "what if" for an ASPECT OF NATURE for Druid Path was connected to the Natural World:

you get a command that allows you to affect the weather. you can use your special-item (or console command) to call a lightning storm of the most deadly type there is.. but you are never struck by lightning... also, your "Lightning" and 'call lightning' spell are always maxed when you cast them during this weather that you call forth... and you can 'calm' the weather as well, putting the weather pattern back to it's natural cycle.

When you enact this ability to "Call" forth a storm, You automatically gain the ability to cast "Lightning" or "Call lighting" or some other "Weather" related spell, -you gain this ability to cast this an unlimited number of times for the duration of the Storm which you have called.

You get a 'faction' that is neutral (as in non-hostile) to all animal-factions, allowing you to pass areas with even the most hazardous creatures (who share the "animal" faction).. and your offensive spells that you cast against foes that are mixed with animals (like Ogres and Wolves) -the 'animals' are unharmed.

You get a starting bonus of +50 to your Animal Empathy, which allows you access of druidic-persuasion over other critters of the ANIMAL faction that otherwise would be nearly impossible to 'tame.' Also the DURATION that Animal Empathy is successful is doubled at lvl 10, tripled at lvl 20.

This also allows you to use Animal Empathy skill to 'lead' animals that would be hostile towards your party-mates, or others you are traveling with, to safe areas, etc.. etc.. so that as you travel through those areas, you can allow safe passage for others, but preventing the confrontation of animals who would have otherwise been in their path... opening up incredible possibilities for RP.

-also ONCE per level, if you initiate a conversation with [FOIG] NPC, you get access to modifying your animal companion to be a 'dire' model of other types of Animal Companions that aren't otherwise available... The pre-requisite though, is you must go out into the world and "Friend" that animal using the Animal Empathy skill... return to [FOIG] NPC, and your animal-companion is then changed to 'match' whatever you have 'friended' with that Animal Empathy skill. -so you could have your Animal Companion as anything you can 'tame' with your skill, and successfully return with in tow. -this "New" animal sticks with you until you level-up, which you must then repeat the process to regain the critter... (This also opens up incredible RP possibilities).
*you do ~NOT~ however, get to "Name" your new critter companion at the beginning levels of this path. That critter-companion will retain whatever 'name' it has until you reach sufficiently high level... only after, say, 20-levels in that class do you get the option to "LOCK IN" that companion, and it will 'keep' the name of the companion you give at level-up, and you no-longer have to go and 'find' that companion with your "animal empathy" skill... it will just be persistent.

-Also, as a class ability, you can call your companion unlimited times per day, with the restriction of ONCE per 4 Game-Hours. This will eliminate the spam-summoning of your companion to infinitely fight your battles for you, like a warlock, or other summoning caster.

when it comes to crafting a seed, via the 'cook' option, you get x2 the completion rate, so you can make seeds in 1/2 the time, with 100% success rate.

your nature-spells with "DURATIONS" are all much more potent, with the Duration doubled or tripled (depending on level tier 3-9=normal, 10-19=x2, 20-30=x3) and you get "Maximize Spell" feat for free.

You get access to "Dispel" spell as a special ability, with unlimited casts per day, and your effective caster level is maxed.

You also get as a special ability with unlimited uses, "Barkskin" at level 5 and then Stoneskin at level 10. (regular spell uses from Spell book are unaffected, but the 'unlimited use' doesn't kick in until those level tiers)

As your connection to the natural world is so strong, for as long as you are in a 'natural' area, you have fear immune and mind-Control immune.

What you lose access to are:

You are restricted to LIGHT armor Only. (Leather + Hide, in theory)
You are restricted to "Druid Weapons List" -regardless of any multi-class or feat selection.
All "Summon" spells of any kind.
All Wild-Shape ability, and "polymorph" spells are disabled for you too.
All "Arcane" magic of any kind do not work, preventing multi-classes to Arcane-Magic-using classes as well.
Alignment Restrictions: Cannot be "Lawful" or "Chaotic" leaving you access only to Neutral-good, True-Neutral, and Neutral Evil
All "Martial" classes are also illegal for you (because you are certainly ~not~ a warrior, and your chosen path barrs you from walking the path of the Warrior of any kind.)

FInally... I would make it so that where other classes can "REST" to regain their spells, as a "ASPECT OF NATURE" you can only refresh your spells ONCE per 12-game Hours. -basically tied to SUNSET and DAWN. *-Again tying your class to nature, and making it an excellent RP, possibly even being given a "Floaty-Text" that only your character sees at the Game-Hour of 6am and 6pm (to help you rmember, and also give you good clues to the clock to RP that your character 'notices' or '"senses" that it is sunset or sunrise, even if underground, or indoors, etc.. etc..

The spells that you have access to as unlimited-per-day are of course, unaffected by this. -so you DO have some pretty potent buff spells and if you have used up your spells, and you are caught OUTSIDE, you can ALWAYS call forth a storm, and then instantly have some offensive spell-casting ability, not to mention the fact you can pass animal-faction creatures without incident, and also 'friend' a critter easily to help defend yourself until you can reset your spells at sun-up or sun-down.
-Unit of beauty required to launch one ship = 1 milihelen

Barradoor
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Barradoor » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:08 am

Could add this in.. make their animal shape elemental instead, And have them get bigger, just like totem druids. Basically an elemental shape instead of totem druid shape. I think that would be pretty neat.

Summons could be like how rat totem druids can only summon rats
(insert nature focus) reskins of the summon 1-9 spell.

I would play the crap out of this path. Also, if they keep dragon shape.. make colors specific
Depending on alignment
Water: Black (CE) or Bronze(LG)
Fire: Red (CE), Gold (LG) or Brass (CG).
Air: Green (LE)
Earth: Copper (CG), Blue (LE)

Restricitons:
Air cant cast Earth spells (poison, that kinda thing) and fire cant cast water, and vice versa.
Can't go shifter.
Can't take palemaster.
Non lawful.
Remove dragonshape because what i wrote above was confusing, even to me.
Mithreas wrote:get good
eters wrote:I will try to resonate with you in a way you can understand
Peppermint wrote:if Barradoor is the voice of reason you know things have taken a horrible turn
Barradoor wrote:
!!HIGH LEVEL MECHANICS BELOW!!