Tongue of the Sun and the Moon

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Re: Tongue of the Sun and the Moon

Post by The Rambling Midget » Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:54 pm

Maybe it's time to dust off that old Lore and Language suggestion that I've suggested like five times.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Rattus_norvegicus99
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Rattus_norvegicus99 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:57 pm

Erin Greene wrote:And, not to nitpick, but that would be waiting an extra 13 levels to get an ability monks get in normal D&D without spending a single skillpoint or feat.

This isn't normal D&D and even if it was, there are what now, four, five version of D&D, or rules manuals. I don't think its going to happen. Pump up your lore and you'll understand a lot.
John 3:16

Skype Arelith.rat

Barradoor
Arelith Silver Supporter
Arelith Silver Supporter

Post by Barradoor » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:00 am

"A monk of 17th level and above can speak with any living creature".
Can: verb
be able to.

Speak: verb
1. Say something in order to convey information, an opinion, or a feeling.

Just because I can say hello to a dog and it barks at me doesn't mean I will be able to understand it. I can speak to a refrigerator, or my invisible best friend. Tim.
Mithreas wrote:get good
eters wrote:I will try to resonate with you in a way you can understand
Peppermint wrote:if Barradoor is the voice of reason you know things have taken a horrible turn
Barradoor wrote:
!!HIGH LEVEL MECHANICS BELOW!!

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:17 am

soph·ist·ry: noun
the use of reasoning or arguments that sound correct but are actually false

D&D rulebook authors are not in the business of writing in extraneous level 17 class feats that have no function. Having the "Tongue of the Sun and Moon" feat means quite a bit more than replicating what a normal person does when they whimsically decide to talk to their fridge.

The Rambling Midget
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by The Rambling Midget » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:43 am

My fridge never listens when I tell it to bring me a beer. Stupid lazy appliance.

Maybe I should buy a weasel.
The Beginner's Guide to Factions
New to Arelith? Read this!
This is not a single player game. -Mithreas
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. -Winston Churchill

Artos13
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Artos13 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:22 pm

Not to be weird, but you really can't just pick and choose the things you want from the Player's Handbook either. Should we also implement the Monk's difficult multi-classing penalties?

(eg: Like a member of any other class, a monk may be a multiclass character, but multiclass monks face a special restriction. A monk who gains a new class or (if already multiclass) raises another class by a level may never again raise her monk level, though she retains all her monk abilities.)

We aren't in the business of trying to faithfully replicate the D&D books. What we DO like to do though, is make it so that each class and race has some kind of role or performs a function that when brought together in a group can form a highly efficient machine.

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:28 pm

I wouldn't mind implementing the multiclassing penalties.

That said, I maintain the position that monks are perfectly fine as they are. While roleplay perks are always nice, the class is already a solid choice that can fill a niche in any party.
Dinosaur Space Program is my working partner on Arelith-related projects. If my inbox is full or I take a while to get back to you, feel free to PM them questions or concerns.

DM_Ironfist

Post by DM_Ironfist » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:51 am

To sort of but not quite echo Artos -

If Mith added one new feature next month, is this the feature you'd really want him to add? There are ~always~ new things you/he/we/I, want to add to Arelith. There is not a lot of Mith to code them all.

Complex new languages that only apply to monks, only of a certain level to allow them to use something that's rather circumstantial and that they could do already via other means seems to me to be a little off on the rewards/effort scale.