Artifacts rotation

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Tashalar

Re: Artifacts rotation

Post by Tashalar » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:07 am

... I may have made that suggestion whilst quite tired.
But still, some way of keeping them moving?
#2: Archmage Swift's Spellduel Rules
#3: "But I'm An Abjurer, I Can't Conjure!"
#4: This Spellbook Is Fire
#5: Think For Once, Archmage Amana
#6: Cor, What A Stunner
#8: Sigermane Special
#9: What Is This, Cordor In The Fifties?

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:19 am

The Rambling Midget wrote:
Tashalar wrote:Suggestion to the suggestion!

Make Artifacts drop on death. Akin to gold dropping.
Yeah. No way that will backfire.
While this could "backfire" in practice, I wonder if it would. So far pretty much everyone I've played with has been quite fun to interact with on an IC level, and the few times I've made a foray into tells to communicate with people OOC'ly, they've also been friendly and approachable.

With this in mind, I do not necessarily see these people I play with becoming jerkwads that repeatedly kill others for artifact loot. For starters, there is still the present rule that you may only engage in PvP once per 24 hours.

It goes back to that notion about people wanting to take your hoard from you and the stockpiles resolving themselves IC.

I would actually be thrilled if when you died any one "artifact" you were carrying dropped. This would add an element of intrigue and risk.

It would also give assassins a whole new breeding ground for RP of jobs...

I do, however, understand and accept that a lot of people probably wouldn't find this aspect of artifact RP very fun. Still, I think toting artifacts around carries with it a certain implicit acceptance of risk on an IC level and I'd totally be fine with it, even if I only had one artifact to lose.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002

Winter83

Post by Winter83 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:25 am

To the above: the suggestion was to have artifact drop on boss kills, if I understood it right. So they cant be ninja'd from chest by invisible magicians with pixies.

IndifferentPerson

Post by IndifferentPerson » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:36 am

I'd rather have it to have a very minimal chance on bosses with a greater one in chests if that was the case, otherwise open lock becomes invalidated again.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:29 am

[Edited. Apologies for spam in a sugestion] :oops:
Last edited by The Man of the Moon on Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

DirtyDeity

Post by DirtyDeity » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:39 am

The Rambling Midget wrote:
Tashalar wrote:Suggestion to the suggestion!

Make Artifacts drop on death. Akin to gold dropping.
Yeah. No way that will backfire.
^ LOL

Artefacts are just fine the way they are. They're just gear. And to be honest? The majoraty of them are useless to epic characters with a sound mind. Would you give away all the skill enchantments on your cloak that don't exist on that cloak artefact? I wouldn't.

Winter83

Post by Winter83 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:35 am

They are not incredibly powerful items. Its only the excitement of something rare and unique. Every time I find an artifact unidentified feels like wrapping out presents at Christmas. :D

Wish they had some sweet desciption or we players can add one to those.

Katze

Post by Katze » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:52 am

has this problem become immediate? this is what people need to ask themselves. if people begin flaunting their artifacts, and it becomes a severe problem, then the devs would most likely remove the artifacts from the loot matrix. If the player who flaunts their artifacts and breaks the rules, then that player will be punished by the devs. There is no need to punish everyone for what a few will do.
Whatever action one takes IG, con be explained by something logical.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:05 am

Last edited by The Man of the Moon on Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:01 pm

DirtyDeity wrote:Artefacts are just fine the way they are. They're just gear. And to be honest? The majoraty of them are useless to epic characters with a sound mind. Would you give away all the skill enchantments on your cloak that don't exist on that cloak artefact? I wouldn't.
Some of these artifacts offer +4 AC, > +1 to attributes, and +3 to universal saves. Additionally, farming them repeatedly actually makes you richer and gives you more experience - the exact opposite of the basins.

Considering that many epic characters use the yeti cloak just for the +3 Fort, you can bet some of these artifacts will find permanent places in inventory slots.

Griefmaker

Post by Griefmaker » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:04 pm

yellowcateyes wrote:
DirtyDeity wrote:Artefacts are just fine the way they are. They're just gear. And to be honest? The majoraty of them are useless to epic characters with a sound mind. Would you give away all the skill enchantments on your cloak that don't exist on that cloak artefact? I wouldn't.
Some of these artifacts offer +4 AC, > +1 to attributes, and +3 to universal saves. Additionally, farming them repeatedly actually makes you richer and gives you more experience - the exact opposite of the basins.

Considering that many epic characters use the yeti cloak just for the +3 Fort, you can bet some of these artifacts will find permanent places in inventory slots.
Good. That is what an artifact should be. What i have seen though has been less that useful to most characters. Suggestion: Don't cry and whine about gifts. Enjoy them and the fact that something new has been added to the server which is rather cool, if random and often not extremely useful. Plus, having another very interesting reason to explore again is a good thing.

Rattus_norvegicus99
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

Post by Rattus_norvegicus99 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:22 pm

Keep in mind, most artifacts that are found are rather useless.
John 3:16

Skype Arelith.rat

dragoneyeIIVX

Post by dragoneyeIIVX » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:28 pm

Hate putting this hat on, but for the sanity of those involved...

Folks, this is a suggestion box, not an argument box. If you don't like the suggestion, post an alternative that addresses the same function/issue/etc. If you just don't like it, and don't have an alternative, then just don't post. The Devs are fully capable of sussing out what they like and don't like - it doesn't matter if you're convincing other members of the playerbase of the amazing/awfulness of an idea.

yellowcateyes
Project Lead
Project Lead

Post by yellowcateyes » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:54 pm

Griefmaker wrote:Good. That is what an artifact should be. What i have seen though has been less that useful to most characters. Suggestion: Don't cry and whine about gifts. Enjoy them and the fact that something new has been added to the server which is rather cool, if random and often not extremely useful. Plus, having another very interesting reason to explore again is a good thing.
I'm not sure who is crying or whining. However, it is important to dispel the notion that artifacts are mechanically useless or that "epic characters with a sound mind" will never wear them.

The fact that the majority of artifacts are useless is only an alleviating factor. The majority of high-level basin items are lost in construction. PCs are known for doing things repeatedly for getting the best results.

Are artifacts a welcome or unbalancing aspect of the game? I'm uncertain at this point. But dismissing them as minor items that do not affect mechanical balance is simply incorrect.

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Post by The Man of the Moon » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:01 pm

Thank you

DM Watchtower

Post by DM Watchtower » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:43 pm

Let me clarify:

Chelomo made a simple (and good) suggestion. 40 posts later, there are what, maybe 5 posts that are actually additional suggestions? I don't know for sure, because I can't be bothered to read through this entire thread to figure it out. And if I can't be bothered, you can be sure the devs won't either.

To put it more simply, there's a sticky at the top of this forum regarding Mith's efforts to streamline this forum for the sake of his own sanity. What makes you think 40 posts of arguments will aid that cause?

If you want player suggestions to be implemented, it is in your best interest to keep these threads simple and to the point.

Post suggestions, or don't post at all.
(never intended to sabotage your post, but give my opinion with all respects)
This forum is not intended for opinions. The only opinions that matter regarding which suggestions to implement are the opinions of the Devs. This is a forum for suggestions.