PvP Qualifiers: Pick-pocket vs. Burglary

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Aelryn Bloodmoon
Arelith Supporter
Arelith Supporter

PvP Qualifiers: Pick-pocket vs. Burglary

Post by Aelryn Bloodmoon » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:29 pm

DM_Ironfist wrote:
Aelryn Bloodmoon wrote:Before I go and make a suggestion thread, I would like to make sure I understand three points clearly.

Point 1: If you attempt to pickpocket someone and are detected, all bare minimum necessary RP requirements for PvP have been met, because by attempting to deprive their character of gold or items, your character is attempting to cause detriment to their character. (Not that the bare minimum is something to strive for, but in this case, logic flows that someone attempted to steal from you, you saw them, and in a medieval frontier, you reacted as one might reasonably expect.)

- Correct.

Point 2: If someone breaks into your house in an attempt to steal things from you, and you have traps on the floor, you are breaking a rule for not fulfilling the requirements for RP'ing before PvP should they be harmed by these traps.

- Also Correct.

Point 3: Stealing someone's things is considered to fulfill the engagement requirement for PvP through Pick Pocket but is not viewed as engaging in and consenting to PvP when breaking into someone's quarter to steal their things.

- Also Correct.

Is there any part of any of these points that I am understanding incorrectly?

2) What about Trap strength? How does that affect damage?

I would also like to know exactly what "Trap Strength" represents, as far as Damage and DC both go.

You'd have to ask the person who supplied the traps. This information is not publically available in game, and thus should either be considered FOIG, or you should also Artos/Mithreas if it can be made public. Higher is better.
Assassinating and Pickpocketing require direct interaction with someone's character. In both cases you are there and present and entitled to a clear cut response. When someone is stealing from your quarter, you are not present. (If you were, you could PvP them by roleplaying with them.) If you were to theoretically find out they had been stealing, this might be IC grounds to assassinate them, but you'd need to follow the same rules as interacting with them.

In simples - We treat stuff and your character more seriously that stuff loosely affiliated with your character in a chest somewhere.

First, thank you very much for the answers. :) The bolded and underlined part of my response further down can function as a TL;DR for my suggestion. Everything else is a why.

Second: Suggestion time.

I am not sure I am following the logic of the part of your post above that I underlined. My understanding of the PvP rule is that it is pursuant to the other rules of "Be nice" and "Don't be a cheeseball." If this string of theory is correct, then is it not meaner, and cheesier, to break into and take things from a character's quarter, when they aren't there and have no chance to derive any meaningful RP from it other than "oh hey, one of my items is missing?"

I feel that Pick Pocket and Burglary should be approached with the exact same attitude, not different ones. Otherwise, one must ask- what is the incentive to engage in pickpocketing? To my mind, you should be able to trap every inch of your quarter.

Why would I ever try to steal from your pocket/inventory (which would entitle you to a spot check and a potential free pass to kill me, both IC and OOC) when I could just steal from your home when you're not there and never have to worry about you catching me? To boot, if I'm stealing from someone who thinks like I do, you keep nice juicy items that you can't use yet or are looking to bestow to someone who can use them when you can't in your home, not on you.

Don't get me wrong, I just made a shady type character and I totally plan to engage in both sorts of activities for the fun of it. But if he was MoD, I would have to admit I'd be extremely disinclined to ever commit a pickpocket theft over a burglary theft.
Bane's tyranny is known throughout the continent, and his is the image most seen as the face of evil.
-Faiths and Pantheons (c)2002