Realistic progress on class skills.

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

The Man of the Moon
Arelith Gold Supporter
Arelith Gold Supporter

Realistic progress on class skills.

Post by The Man of the Moon » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:36 am

INTRODUCTION:

One of the things that make little sense when one acquires three levels in a new class, is to invest a high amount of points in certain skills normally closed to other classes.

Sample:
I am level 20 warrior and I get experience enough to level up to 21.
I start then as rogue, and as I was keeping 40 fresh skill points, I acquire:

+20 tumble points.
+15 umd points.
+ 5 ...

The question is: how can someone suddenly learn as much about tumble? That is not reflecting a real progressions, but a mechanical advantage...

Perhaps, a level 12 Rogue is needed to have 15 umd points... But any other level 12 character , by becoming also level 1 rogue, can suddenly learn as much as that level 12 rogue. That breaks balance and the RP of the said rogue, who cannot be anymore the one who learnt through the long years to use arcane and misterious items through a slow study... But suddenly, his fellow of adventures pops a new level and says "Eureka! I learnt in some weeks what required to you years!"

SUGGESTION:

Allow to invest only up to 1 skill point/per level acquired on the class that allows to get access to that certain skill, on pre-epic levels, and only up to 2 skill points/per level on the class allowing the skill on epic levels.

This way, as warrior level 20, when I pick level 1 as rogue, I can acquire:
+5 tumble (3 starting points that can be asigned + 2 from first level)
+5 umd
... This way, you are getting 1 AC and minor ability to use some items instead automatically be allowed to use normally unavailable artifacts.

At level 22, getting the second rogue level, you may asign another +2 to tumble, umd, etc

JUSTIFY:

This, will keep giving preminence to the main class, where one can get a high mastery on their asigned skills.

Also, will keep balance between classes, stopping sudden acquired powers by a few three levels invest.
Disclaimer: All what I write are simple opinions of a player and always with honest intention to contribute constructively and from respect, but with a poor knowledge of English.

Thank you