Feat Suggestion: Monkey Grip

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Burt Macklin, FBI

Feat Suggestion: Monkey Grip

Post by Burt Macklin, FBI » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:47 pm

I have no idea how viable this would be or what effect it would have on balance, but I've always loved the ridiculousness of the Monkey Grip feat from v3.5 and beyond.

My suggestion is to add Monkey Grip as a feat, under the following parameters:

Prerequisites: Strength 20+
-Allows the user the wield weapons one size category larger than the user at a -2 AB penalty; also allows the user to wield twohanded weapons of their original size category in one hand, at the same -2AB penalty. Does not work with two-bladed weapons, such as the double-bladed sword or two-headed axe.

i.e., a halfling with this feat would be able to wield a longsword and a shield at the same time, or twohand a greatsword; a human with this feat would be able to wield a greatsword in one hand with a shield in the offhand, in the way that Firbolgs and Ogres are currently able to do so.

The existing roster of large-sized playable races wouldn't be able to benefit from this feat unless a size category for "large" or "huge" weapons was implemented (such as a large greatsword that does 3d6, only wieldable by large creatures or medium creatures with this feat), but small and medium sized races could have some fun with this.

garrbear758

Re: Feat Suggestion: Monkey Grip

Post by garrbear758 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:11 am

Denied.
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted