Quarter security

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Thalion

Quarter security

Post by Thalion » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:48 pm

So this is a topic i have seen a lot of discussion around;

1: lower the DCs on doors

2: Add a lock to the storage boxes with the security system that currently exists on doors

The Reasoning behind this is that the ability to get into a quarter, as it functions now, is almost exclusively used for theft. Making it more possible to get into a quarter, but not the storage, opens up more opportunity for RP. Spying on message boards, setting ambushes, leaving flaming bowls of feces in their homes or what have you.

now that being said, the DCs on doors should still be VERY HIGH, just more attainable than they currently are.

I feel this would also add a reason to invest more in lock breaking skills beyond min-maxing for dungeons, and add it to a viable RP skill.

DangerDolphin

Re: Quarter security

Post by DangerDolphin » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:52 am

Something similar was just rejected because it would involve editing all the quarters.

I do like this idea though, and wonder if we could do it dynamically without changing areas in the module.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:41 pm

I really really like that idea, and I'd love to see it implemented, but I've a feeling that I've seen it deneid before. I'll hold off on judgement until someone better than I can give it a 'yes' or a 'no'. But I think it's great.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

DangerDolphin

Post by DangerDolphin » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:34 pm

One concern here might be fixture theft

Also from Discord:
Kalgoon wrote:I agree that locks on chests would be awesome, because then people can turn larger quarters into public buildings run by players. If there were a way to protect fixtures from both damage and theft by paying a fee or by default if set to public, then that would be awesome.

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:03 pm

I'm still not sure how feasable this is, and it does have a few issues that'd need to be smoothed out rule wise, but in principle I do love this idea so I'm going to be daring and move it to approved.
This too shall pass.

(I now have a DM Discord (I hope) It's DM GrumpyCat#7185 but please keep in mind I'm very busy IRL so I can't promise how quick I'll get back to you.)

The GrumpyCat
Dungeon Master
Dungeon Master

Post by The GrumpyCat » Fri Sep 03, 2021 11:19 pm

Discussion has shown that this isn't really feasable I don't think. Which is a shame as I love the idea. Moving to rejected for now.
This too shall pass.