Terri rage aura debuff

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Rico_scorpion

Terri rage aura debuff

Post by Rico_scorpion » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:51 pm

Hey,

So currently, the lingering "debuff" is as follows:

- AB (probably -3)
- Spell failure (Probably 15%)

I suggest changing it to:

- Damage Malus
- Spell failure

+ Changing the formula from "every 7 barb levels" to "Every 5" , encouraging more barb levels and encouraging going beyond 15 or 24 (the two big thresholds i see when playing barb-heavy). For these thresholds that would only bring a "+1" compared to the previous formula unless going pure class, at which point, it will never break the meta so doesn't matter.

---
Why:

Well, AB/AC is already the main point of entry to NWN's game mechanics. Builders can discuss day and night about various values, these two are the ones around which everything gravitates (for non-mages that is). So yeah, sure, terri rage nerfing AB is a "safe" choice as it just further that design foundation, however, it also narrows down both flavor (yet again another ab-modifier, low identity), and diversity (if a Barb wants to take advantage of that - 3 AB, he must already have a decent AC to start with, otherwise it's a non-existent bonus, unless in a party). So basically to take fully advantage of that iconic feat, you HAVE to play the AC-game.

Less damage rather than less AB would mean that the Barbarian would be encouraged (but certainly not forced) to take a more damage mitigation route rather than "AC or gtfo", a bonus that will mostly be leveraged in PVE anyway (so many counters in pvp so I'm not sure i would buy a "you just made barb unkillable" argument, if you took the debuff, you got stunned half a round, and you're probably already dead).

If damage nerf is perceived for some reason that escapes me as a "taboo", then maybe AC-debuff, a bit like a lingering curse song. At least an AC-nerf to your foes will benefit both "AC barb" and "Mitigation barb", but just AB feels a bummer for the already gimped "Mitigation Barb" (gimped in pve, that is). Note: I'm aware that you can be both mitigation/AC as a barb, but then -AC probably helps you too. So everyone happy.

Cheers! God this is too long.

garrbear758

Re: Terri rage aura debuff

Post by garrbear758 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:58 pm

Denied
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted