Kensai re-work Idea

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

AlonelyBard

Kensai re-work Idea

Post by AlonelyBard » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:58 am

Hello, so while the Kensai path proper has been all but removed, I think that it's apparent that there should be some sort of cookies given to those of us that aren't massive fans of the UMD and Lore Dumps, or constantly feeding the wand system.
My idea is as follows, as the Kensai's benefits are heavily desired by many of the martial and WM players, I'd believe it could be reworked into Feats, that help push the idea that these are Masters that have solely focused on the Martial Arts. Examples below

Mastery of Speed
Level 27, 0 UMD and only available to characters of non-caster classes(ex, fighter, monk, rogue, barbarian)
Gives an additional attack per round, as with the previous Kensai bonus, this would stack with Haste.

Mastery of Dueling
Level 27, same restrictions as above
Gives an untyped/dodge +2 bonus to AC as well as a +2 to hit

With both of these feats, I chose the level 27, as the soonest it would be able to be taken is level 28, preventing any dips into caster classes (Though the allowance for Rogue allows for a UMD dump afterwards, if possible to restrict such a thing rather than removing the class from the possibilities)
Being so late in the level scale, it would only allow 1 of the 2 feats for most classes and builds, as well for balance towards either of the two feats, perhaps they should bring a return of the forcing of mundane items onto one or both of the feats.

garrbear758

Re: Kensai re-work Idea

Post by garrbear758 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:52 pm

There are still no plans to bring back kensai. Denied.
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted