Change Ranger's runic vestment

We will file suggestions here that did not make the cut. Don't expect detailed responses, but the most common reasons are:
- implementing the suggestion is impractical, or too much work for the gain
- the suggestion is thematically against our design philosophy
- the suggestion is too detailed/low-level
Keep your suggestions broad and focused on RP benefits, please, not detailed suggestions of how to tweak X class.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Contributors, Suggestion Moderators

Ordo.Lupus

Change Ranger's runic vestment

Post by Ordo.Lupus » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:33 am

The ranger class has access to two class specific very high DC tailoring items. One is a hide armour and the other is clothing.

I suggest that the clothing be changed to a padded armour type instead. For several reasons.

1)
Playing a STR ranger already has it difficulties since AC is poor. Even with dual wielding or shield. This is further offset by the fact that dex rangers have access to a clothing that outperforms the one aimed towards STRangers. So dex melee will always be better than str melee. Dex also has an effect on some ranger crucial skills. They might do less base damage but this can be offset by Favoured + Studied Enemy, Blade Thirst, Bane of Enemies, perm+temp essences.
Not to mention that scimitar is now a part of the Weapon finesse feat. So 12-20 crit build can choose freely between rapier or scimitar for either piercing or slashing damage. And due to how weapons are grouped you get both at the same time.

2)
The armours themselves are only equal within a narrow interval. Their DC of 56 and crafter must be ranger makes them epic level items. At this level the dex build ranger will have a dex of 20+ before any buffs or items.

Ranger runic studded leather has:
- base AC of 3
- enables 4 dex AC
- bonus AC of 6
Total AC = 13

Ranger runic vestmest has:
- base AC of 0
- enables unlimited dex AC
- bonus AC of 4
Total AC = 4 + dex mod.

Surpassing the usefulness of the runic studded leather only takes dex 28+ which is quite obtainable with a few +1 dex magical items. And as a ranger you already get Cats grace as spell.

Changing it to padded armour would yield
- base AC of 1
- enables 8 dex AC
- bonus AC of 4
Total AC = 13
which is similar to Padded Vestment of the Holy Squire, and Armour of Immolation. And to the Runic studded leather

Comparing this to a Masterly Elven chain which has a pretty high AC potential for medium armour. (heavy armour still lacks AC)
- base AC of 4
- enables 4 dex AC
- bonus AC of 4
Total AC = 12

3)
The dex rangers AB would be unaffected. The armour check penalty is 0 and the arcane spell failure i 5%. Which is negligible compared to the 25% which is being added afterwards.
I play a halfling archer and to some extend I would welcome there not being favouring of dex vs str or melee vs ranged. As the current gear does.

This might affect some ranger/monk dips. But honestly I don't care. Because it's an atrocity and a symptom of people focusing on powerbuilds. Doing a dip should make sense in RP terms.
I cannot conceptualize the mix between a boyscout and a karate kid no matter how hard I try. This even based on the fact that I do martial arts in my spare time, and love being outdoors. They simply do not mix
"To every man is given the key to the gates of heaven. The same key opens the gates of hell" - Richard P. Feynman

garrbear758

Re: Change Ranger's runic vestment

Post by garrbear758 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:43 pm

Denied. The vestment was lowered to 3 ac.
You've done it [Garrbear], you've kicked the winemom nest. -Redacted